As one of the UK's newest national parks, The New Forest is only just coming onto the radar for many walkers. Having grown up on the edge of the forest I can tell you that the 'forest' - originally set aside by William the Conqueror as a Royal Forest for hunting - is more of an open heath with pockets or enclosures of mixed woodland. As a result, it offers great walking through rolling heathland between small villages and hamlets, more often than not with local cafes and pubs. Whilst the area does not lend itself to longer more arduous hiking, the day walks are many and varied. There's something here for all the family, with some of the better paths even being suitable for pushchairs (of course that makes them easy for running on too!).
This has been viewed 3,353 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 8.08 miles (13 km)
Total ascent: 157m
Time: 3 – 5 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
Start at the car park at the end of Abbots Well Road near Hyde, SU177129
The terrain is open heathland, generally along wide 4x4 tracks. However the section through Sloden Inclosure is more a single track. The soil is generally sandy and drains quickly during rain so you can leave you gaiters at home.
There is little seasonal variation other than it can be extremely hot in the summer, sometimes with a high risk of fire.
Public transport to these remote car parks is non-existent.
OS Explorer OL22 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 195 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Fordingbridge (01425 654560); Ringwood (01425 470896); Lyndhurst & New Forest (023 8028 2269)
by Mark Reeves
- Snowdon via the Llanberis Path, and down the Snowdon Ranger 9 Oct, 2020
- Dolwyddelan - The Cwm Penamnen Horseshoe 10 Jul, 2020
- A Round of the Northern Carneddau 3000ers 11 Jun, 2020
- Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem 24 Apr, 2020
- Moel Hebog to Moel Lefn 5 Mar, 2020
- Cwm Cneifion in Winter - Hidden Gully and Y Gribin 20 Feb, 2020
- Dartmoor - The North Moor from Princetown 12 Feb, 2020
- Snowdon Via the South Ridge and the Watkin Path 21 Dec, 2019
- Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr from the Pen Y Gwryd 27 Nov, 2019
- The Atlantic Ridge of Carnedd Y Filiast 7 Aug, 2019