Boris is new PM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 23 Jul 2019

Well, there it is, confirmation that Boris is the new PM of the UK - for how long will it be UK though is one of the many questions that will soon arise.

Oh well, USA have Trump, we have Boris - great!

Snyggapa 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

a downvote. For Boris, not for you

Nempnett Thrubwell 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Boris Who?

Timmd 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Bugger.

Post edited at 12:14
 Trevers 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

> Boris Who?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vgx7abJH6uI&

Removed User 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Does anyone know the shortest time a PM has ever been in office?

If the government loses a vote of no confidence in October his time in office could be less than 5 months.

In reply to subtle:

I'm off to freeze my head in a cryogenic chamber - come and thaw me out when this is all over. 

Clauso 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

F@*ks sake...

In reply to subtle:

Bollocks!

Signed: disappointed in Nottinghamshire 

skog 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is not yet the new PM, just the leader of the Conservatives.

It's very very unlikely, but still conceivable, that he won't be able to become PM.

Post edited at 12:30
baron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Hooray!

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

One down already. My local MP (Anne Milton) has just resigned as a minister.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/guildford-mp-anne-milton-quits...

Post edited at 12:35
 Trevers 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> One down already. My local MP (Anne Milton) has just resigned as a minister.

Good on her! Far be it from me to tell people what to do, but I'd strongly recommend writing her an email of support on her principled stance.

JimR 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

For the first time in my life I have complete and utter contempt for the pm. 

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

I would except for the fact that, though originally a remainer in a remain constituency she swapped after the vote.

That I find hard to forgive.

Hat Dude 23 Jul 2019
In reply to JimR:

> For the first time in my life I have complete and utter contempt for the pm. 

Me too!

I've had contempt before and even utter contempt but never complete and utter!

Trevers 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I would except for the fact that, though originally a remainer in a remain constituency she swapped after the vote.

> That I find hard to forgive.

People trying to free themselves from the shackles of substance abuse need support and encouragement to come clean

balmybaldwin 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

He's not the PM yet, just the leader of the conservatives.... if press reports are right, it could remain this way if he can't demonstrate confidence of the house

Bob Kemp 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Does anyone know the shortest time a PM has ever been in office?

According to Nick Cohen on Twitter...

"Until now, the PM with the shortest period in office was George Canning - 119 days 12 April to 8 August 1827. If Johnson falls before 19 November, he will become what he deserves to be: the answer to a pub quiz question

GerM 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle: 

Quick link to his speech, in case anyone missed it:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Cwyq3XWeHE&

In reply to skog:

According to the BBC he is to be the new PM.

Bob Kemp 23 Jul 2019
In reply to skog:

> Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is not yet the new PM, just the leader of the Conservatives.

> It's very very unlikely, but still conceivable, that he won't be able to become PM.

True - maybe he won't be able to form a government, as in this, also Nick Cohen: 

"Historians disqualify Lord Bath, who lasted only three days from 10 February to 12 February 1746, because he couldn't form a government. We shouldn't be so prissy, and be grateful if Johnson is PM on Wednesday and gone  on Friday."

johncook 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

She will still get her ministers pay for a couple of years, and her pension will be based on that pay.

How did her constituency vote in the referendum, and how did the local party members vote in this run off?

Escher 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

It's all so very simple though, unite the party, then unite the country then deliver Brexit. Can't wait to see him have that all sorted by the end of October. 

skog 23 Jul 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

Yep, lazy reporting. But probably correct.

If you're 100% sure, you might as well have a punt on it:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125575094

(In case I'm not clear, you shouldn't be 100% sure, and probably shouldn't have a punt on it!)

TMM 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Here we go again, all the normal naysayers doing the down man before he's even started the job.

Boris is right, we need more optimism, more 'can do' spirit and more confidence in our great nation. Let's stop running ourselves down and remember that this is country of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Turing, Babbage, Dickens, Kipling and Churchill. We have an unrivalled history of punching above our weight and influencing global events. 

We've had enough of tehcnocrats, experts and the mangerial class it's time for someone with some zip, zing and razzamatazz to galavnise this country and lead us into a proud and noble future.

Escher 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

Hear, hear, he now has a clear mandate. The country needs to get behind him. 

In reply to Escher:

No he doesn't and, No it doesn't.

Escher 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

No really, you think too much, we need less thinking and more action. 

BnB 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Here we go again, all the normal naysayers doing the down man before he's even started the job.

> Boris is right, we need more optimism, more 'can do' spirit and more confidence in our great nation. Let's stop running ourselves down and remember that this is country of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Turing, Babbage, Dickens, Kipling and Churchill. We have an unrivalled history of punching above our weight and influencing global events. 

> We've had enough of tehcnocrats, experts and the mangerial class it's time for someone with some zip, zing and razzamatazz to galavnise this country and lead us into a proud and noble future.

I would compliment on your willingness to go against the by now rather dreary tide of anti-Tory sentiment, but for the logical inconsistency of your argument. Your list of British “giants” consists mostly of your reviled “technocrats, experts and the managerial class”. Why celebrate them as the best of British and then demand the plastic wrapper instead of the sandwich?

Tyler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> this is country of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Turing, Babbage, Dickens, Kipling and Churchill.

and the government of Johnson, Grayling, Leadsome, IDS, Raab and DD. If they pooled their respective talents they might have enough nouse to put together some flat pack furniture. However, I doubt it.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

Are you being sarcastic?

Tyler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to BnB:

> dreary tide of anti-Tory sentiment

Other than its ubiquity, do you find anything about the anti-Tory sentiment to disagree with?

BernNolan 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

Yeh!   make USA great again... err... i mean UK... 

TMM 23 Jul 2019
In reply to BnB:

Why must a celebration of some of Britain's finest sons again descend into negativity?

Our historic class of technocrats shared a bold and pioneering spirit unlike today's healthy safety focussed technocrats more interested in box ticking rather than taking brave explorative leaps into the realms of discovery.

Let us just rejoice in today's excellent news and start planning for the unlimited opportunities awaiting us on 1/11/2019, our very own independence day.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Sweepstake time:

Date of no confidence vote:

Date of General Election:

Date an extension of article 50 granted:

I'll go for mid Sept, mid Oct, Mid Oct

jkarran 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Ah well, it's not like there was a good outcome to look forward to.

Interesting times.

jk

Andy Gamisou 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Well that's any hope of even a meagre retirement gone.  All that's left is suicide, a la "The Lotus Eaters", by around age 63. 

jkarran 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Does anyone know the shortest time a PM has ever been in office? If the government loses a vote of no confidence in October his time in office could be less than 5 months.

October? Summer recess starts this week, if he's getting the boot it'll be tomorrow or too late.

jk

Ramblin dave 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Sweepstake time:

First high-profile Brexiteer to declare him to be a closet Remainer?

In reply to Escher:

I think you may be missing TMM’s joke.

Either that or TMM is an idiot.

Enjoying the juxto of this thread and ‘I saw this on YouTube and I was horrified’.

jcm

Escher 23 Jul 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Or you might be missing mine

Andy Johnson 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Why must a celebration of some of Britain's finest sons again descend into negativity?

> Our historic class of technocrats shared a bold and pioneering spirit unlike today's healthy safety focussed technocrats more interested in box ticking rather than taking brave explorative leaps into the realms of discovery.

> Let us just rejoice in today's excellent news and start planning for the unlimited opportunities awaiting us on 1/11/2019, our very own independence day.

You'd better be taking the piss.

Tyler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Why must a celebration of some of Britain's finest sons again descend into negativity?

> Our historic class of technocrats shared a bold and pioneering spirit unlike today's healthy safety focussed technocrats more interested in box ticking rather than taking brave explorative leaps into the realms of discovery.

> Let us just rejoice in today's excellent news and start planning for the unlimited opportunities awaiting us on 1/11/2019, our very own independence day.

You'll never keep this up but I am enjoying it

dread-i 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

This is what we voted for, taking back democracy. We don't want a load of unelected Eurocrats telling us what to do. It's much better that we have 116,000 unelected tory members telling us who will lead the country. And yes, some of those member are 15 and 16 but still allowed to vote for the tory leader. And yes, the tories did block votes for the under 18 in general elections. But, consider this: A 15 year old tory supporter is the right sort of person. A 16 year old voting in the general election, probably hasn't even been to a good public school. We cant have that sort telling us what to do.

TMM 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> You'd better be taking the piss.

Absolutley not. Nothing could be more serious than the future of our great nation. I shall rest in easy in my bed tonight knowing that someone of Boris Johnson's calibre is now leading this country. His background and experience are second to none. He has the pedigree, the education and the experience to lead us into a more positive and optimistic future.

We must move on from the timidity of May and no longer supplicate ourselves at the foot of those in Brussels. Let us be brave and daring and consider the actions of another great leader, Wellington. He led us to a great victory in the Low countries and I now back Boris to do it again.

Andy Johnson 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Absolutley not. Nothing could be more serious than the future of our great nation. I shall rest in easy in my bed tonight knowing that someone of Boris Johnson's calibre is now leading this country. His background and experience are second to none. He has the pedigree, the education and the experience to lead us into a more positive and optimistic future.

> We must move on from the timidity of May and no longer supplicate ourselves at the foot of those in Brussels. Let us be brave and daring and consider the actions of another great leader, Wellington. He led us to a great victory in the Low countries and I now back Boris to do it again.

Classy.

In reply to Escher:

It’s true, I might. It’s that kind of day.

jcm

stevieb 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Great to hear. 

A ‘committed’ brexiter has to deliver brexit or be seen to fail. Choosing Hunt would have risked another 3 years of stasis. 

Edit: Let’s hope that he goes against previous form, and is brave enough to outline his solution

Post edited at 14:23
 Hat Dude 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Turing, Babbage, Dickens, Kipling and Churchill.

Sounds like this should be followed by "your boys took a hell of a beating"

Nempnett Thrubwell 23 Jul 2019

"Let us be brave and daring and consider the actions of another great leader, Wellington. He led us to a great victory in the Low countries and I now back Boris to do it again."

I'm not sure Boris can rely on the Prussians backing him up this time though.

TMM 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Sounds like this should be followed by "your boys took a hell of a beating"

And in one sentence you have displayed all that is wrong in our fine nation. After reading a towering list of 8 intellectual giants your first thoughts are instead to consider a game of association football with a minor fish trading nation. Why not celebrate our illustrious past? After reading out those names one should naturally feel your chest swell with pride and become aware of a warm glow, safe in the knowledge that God has judged us a favoured state, a blessed isle where independence and liberty remain a sacrosanct.

In reply to Hat Dude:

> Sounds like this should be followed by "your country is about to take a hell of a beating"

FTFY

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

Wellington was Prime Minister twice.

Please no. Please!

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

>  that God has judged us a favoured state, a blessed isle where independence and liberty remain a sacrosanct.

You are aware, I take it, that Wellington wasn't actually from this particular isle but one just off the East coast...

Removed User 23 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> October? Summer recess starts this week, if he's getting the boot it'll be tomorrow or too late.

> jk

I was more thinking of when he comes back from Brussels with nothing, polishes the turd that is May's deal and offers it back to Parliament who will once again reject it. On the brink of crashing out with no deal there will be a vote of no confidence which he'll lose.

Hopefully he'll go on to lose the following GE as well.

Escher 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> And in one sentence you have displayed all that is wrong in our fine nation. After reading a towering list of 8 intellectual giants your first thoughts are instead to consider a game of association football with a minor fish trading nation. Why not celebrate our illustrious past? After reading out those names one should naturally feel your chest swell with pride and become aware of a warm glow, safe in the knowledge that God has judged us a favoured state, a blessed isle where independence and liberty remain a sacrosanct.

It's exactly the response you'd expect from the Liberal elite, remoaners every one of them. 

Bob Hughes 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> You are aware, I take it, that Wellington wasn't actually from this particular isle but one just off the East coast...

of Arranmore? 

Trevers 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> First high-profile Brexiteer to declare him to be a closet Remainer?

Liam Fox.

Edit - oops, I nominated Fox as "First high-profile Brexiteer to declare himself to be a closet Remainer".

My money's on Bill Cash in answer to the actual question.

Post edited at 14:44
Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Londoners, 40% of whom voted Leave, also voted for him as mayor twice.  Given the overwhelming tone and direction of the various Boris threads, UKC has all the hallmarks of an echo chamber with little diversity. 

Removed User 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Sweepstake time:

> Date of no confidence vote:

30th October, 11.30 pm.

> Date of General Election:

11th December

> Date an extension of article 50 granted:

31st October 11.30am

Date of Second Referendum:

February 18th 2020.

In reply to TMM:

>  Why not celebrate our illustrious past? 

Because that is exactly what it is, the past. We are no longer the lords of the sea and no longer the overlords of 25pc of the world. We are a small country, indeed a great country, but in the realms of today's global challenges, we are but a minor player and when faced by threats from Russia, the middle east, china and even the US I believe we are better as a united Europe with a common aim. 

Plus, Churchill wasnt always a nice chap...

Post edited at 14:45
 Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Err, ok. West coast then. Pedant.

Hat Dude 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Escher:

> we need less thinking and more action. 

We'll get half of that, going by Boris' track record.

Clauso 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Buckingham Palace have just Tweeted:

Constitutional monarchy, one's arse; you're all just taking the piss now! #QUEXIT"

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Almost 4 hours in charge and he hasn't f*cked up yet.

This is going WAY better than I expected...

In reply to Pan Ron:

> Londoners, 40% of whom voted Leave, also voted for him as mayor twice.  Given the overwhelming tone and direction of the various Boris threads, UKC has all the hallmarks of an echo chamber with little diversity. 

Or those of the outdoors are also more welcoming to others and are blessed with clearer thinking and problem solving skills? Less of an echo chamber; more an oasis of considered thought perhaps?

Lord_ash2000 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> Well that's any hope of even a meagre retirement gone.  All that's left is suicide, a la "The Lotus Eaters", by around age 63. 

Out of curiosity, what was your retirement plan and why does this particular man coming to power ruin it? Retiring abroad? I'm sure it'll still be possible. 

Harry Jarvis 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> Londoners, 40% of whom voted Leave, also voted for him as mayor twice.  Given the overwhelming tone and direction of the various Boris threads, UKC has all the hallmarks of an echo chamber with little diversity. 

Was Johnson's position on Brexit a significant factor in the London mayoral elections? And what, remind us, was Johnson's position on the EU at the time of the London mayoral elections? 

The New NickB 23 Jul 2019
In reply to BnB:

I’m picking up more than a whiff (waff) of sarcasm is TMM’s comments!

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Unlike the membership of the tory party that have just crowned him eh?

In reply to Pan Ron:

Londoners voted for a very pro-remain Boris Johnson. Also remember, he was a spectacular failure as Mayor of London.

Neil Williams 23 Jul 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

> Londoners voted for a very pro-remain Boris Johnson. Also remember, he was a spectacular failure as Mayor of London.

Debatable, if only because the London Mayor is little more than an elected commissioner of Transport for London and has little other actual power.

In reply to Neil Williams:

> Debatable, if only because the London Mayor is little more than an elected commissioner of Transport for London and has little other actual power.

Think what he will do with real power. I hope Liam Fox doesn’t tell him about his Atlantic Bridge.

wercat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Present, but unable to articulate my feelings sufficiently

Firing squad perhaps?

marsbar 23 Jul 2019

He wasted a metric f@#$ tonne of money as mayor.  

46 million on the stupid garden bridge.  

1.4 million on attempts at gluing pollution to the roads.  

60 million on a nice but ultimately pointless cable car. 

More than 200 million on cashless buses with conductors that don't work as advertised.  

Post edited at 15:33
 RX-78 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

In the immortal words of yazoo "The only way is up" and "Things may be a little hard now, but we'll find a brighter day, oh, yeah"

Dave Garnett 23 Jul 2019

I once knew a palaeoarchaeologist from Nempnett Thrubwell.  Frustratingly, it just doesn't scan in a limerick.

Post edited at 15:50
 fred99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Escher:

> Hear, hear, he now has a clear mandate. The country needs to get behind him. 

I'll be perfectly happy to get behind Boris - did you know I'm secretly Brutus.

fred99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Escher:

> No really, you think too much, we need less thinking and more action. 

What we really need is for people to think BEFORE they act.

toad 23 Jul 2019
In reply to RX-78:

Yaz. Not Yazoo. Although given Johnsons grazp of detail, maybe that was intentional?

fred99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Almost 4 hours in charge and he hasn't f*cked up yet.

> This is going WAY better than I expected...

But has he actually said or done anything yet ?

fred99 23 Jul 2019

> Debatable, if only because the London Mayor is little more than an elected commissioner of Transport for London and has little other actual power.

How much money did he waste on that bridge ?

fred99 23 Jul 2019
In reply to wercat:

> Present, but unable to articulate my feelings sufficiently

> Firing squad perhaps?

A gun is used to put down the likes of horses, to ensure that it is done quickly and painlessly.

For Johnson I would suggest an alternative - burning at the stake !

Neil Williams 23 Jul 2019
In reply to fred99:

Does he weigh the same as a duck?

Oceanrower 23 Jul 2019
In reply to fred99:

> But has he actually said or done anything yet ?

No. And long may that happy state of affairs continue.

wercat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to fred99:

"H H How do you know Heee is a witch?"

Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019

> Or those of the outdoors are also more welcoming to others and are blessed with clearer thinking and problem solving skills? Less of an echo chamber; more an oasis of considered thought perhaps?

Seems a bit of an egotistical assumption to me - our tribe is better, smarter, more enlightened than half other proles.  Judging by the amount of vitriol thrown in the direction of Boris before he's even been in office, I'm not convinced that the UKC massive is more "welcoming", "clearer thinking" and "considered".  All the more disturbing that we'd collectively assume that.

Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

> Londoners voted for a very pro-remain Boris Johnson. Also remember, he was a spectacular failure as Mayor of London.

Spectacular failure?  Remaining or leaving wasn't really a debate during his first term and he was still popular by the time he finished as mayor.

ebdon 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

As someone who had to endure Boris as mayor I think people are being remarkably restrained!

Hat Dude 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Escher:

> It's exactly the response you'd expect from the Liberal elite, remoaners every one of them. 

"Liberal Elite" -I'm honoured

ebdon 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

It's the one positive I take out of all of this, it's the only time in my life anyone will consider me as elite!

fred99 23 Jul 2019

> Does he weigh the same as a duck?

More likely a Wild Boar.

Postmanpat 23 Jul 2019

> Or those of the outdoors are also more welcoming to others and are blessed with clearer thinking and problem solving skills? Less of an echo chamber; more an oasis of considered thought perhaps?

I can barely believe that you actually wrote that!

Post edited at 17:48
 wercat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

piss off, he cheated and lied in the grossest manner

Rob Exile Ward 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Yep, that might be a bit patronising and complacent so I won't go there. I'd like to start another challenge: has anyone got any evidence that Boris is in fact better than everyone says he is? Is there a track record of achievement of anything (other than writing the equivalent of Viz cartoons in article form) that we can grasp?

No; didn't think so. Pan Ron is pi$$ing into the wind.

jcw 23 Jul 2019

But they both learnt on the playing fields of Eton. 

marsbar 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

He achieved a staggering amount of money spaffed.  

marsbar 23 Jul 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> He wasted a metric f@#$ tonne of money as mayor.  

> 46 million on the stupid garden bridge.  

> 1.4 million on attempts at gluing pollution to the roads.  

> 60 million on a nice but ultimately pointless cable car. 

> More than 200 million on cashless buses with conductors that don't work as advertised.  

Oh, I forgot the water cannons.  And the £1000 stereo fitted to each water cannon.  

Andy Hardy 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> Liam Fox.

> Edit - oops, I nominated Fox as "First high-profile Brexiteer to declare himself to be a closet Remainer".

You may be looking in the wrong closet.

Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019

> No; didn't think so. Pan Ron is pi$$ing into the wind.

I might as well be, given so many seem to have retreated to their political corners.  There's very little in the way of objective analysis out there/here. 

A so-called community, coming to UKC to discuss Boris, is only going to work itself up into a vortex of loathing and hate given the demographic here is probably 80-90% left-leaning.  I'm very wary of it, and particularly of assumptions that this honorable bunch represent The Truth.

Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to ebdon:

> As someone who had to endure Boris as mayor I think people are being remarkably restrained!

So did I.  But I didn't notice having to "endure" anything that seemed to be caused by him.

Perhaps the following link is all BS propaganda, so feel free to criticise away.  But it looks like he may have pulled off one or two things...and maybe the proles in a predominantly liberal-leaning, multi-cultural, capital felt they had good reason to re-elect a Tory Toff Etonian who apparently thinks only of himself and is a curse upon this land?

https://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2010/01/100-achievements-o...

RomTheBear 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

>  given the demographic here is probably 80-90% left-leaning.  

That may be true only of you consider anybody who disagrees with you « left leaning »

Pan Ron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

It's obviously a ball-park, back of envelope, figure.  But find me a discussion anywhere on UKC where a vaguely conservative or non-left viewpoint gets representation by larger numbers of people than that 80%-90% assumption would assume - and I'll award you a chocolate fish.

baron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

I got 3 likes and 15 dislikes for posting ‘Hooray!’ as a response to the OP.

Considering that my response was an attempt to wind up the remainers who make up a large majority on this forum I am feeling a little disappointed.

Offwidth 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

I think if you polled most outdoor regular climbers they would be more centre or left on average percentages than UKC. Check out UKB as an example and their Brexit poll over there (it's the most Remain I saw anywhere). Hence I think its nothing to do with the site and everything to do with climbing. On the top 40 regulars there are probably even more conservative or centre right posters than on average here. Its not true left wing views dominate on UKC unless, like you, we assume centrists are left wing.

toad 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

The best minds of our generation destroyed by madness

Postmanpat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

>  Its not true left wing views dominate on UKC unless, like you, we assume centrists are left wing.

>

Or, like you, we assume left wingers are centrists?

Whilst accepting that governments are generally more likely to be the butt of criticism than their opposition, how many endlessly repetitive,  sub-student derivative "humour" wankfest threads mocking the left's Tory/brexit hate figure of the week are running at any one time?

Maybe the few "right wingers" on here are just more mature and less needy of group approval?

Post edited at 19:36
 Shani 23 Jul 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> Oh, I forgot the water cannons.  And the £1000 stereo fitted to each water cannon.  

Boris Island £10m

Boris Bikes £200m

Still cheaper than Chris Grayling £3bn and rising.

Post edited at 19:33
 toad 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm assuming you know a number of right wingers and are friends and/ or follow on social media?

I know a number of lawyers and whilst some of them are engaged and committed in their politics ( on both wings), there is a terrifying amount of rightwing neediness out there, as I'm sure you must be aware. 

Post edited at 19:38
 RX-78 23 Jul 2019
In reply to toad:

I keep getting those names mixed up!

Pete Pozman 23 Jul 2019
In reply to TMM:

> Here we go again, all the normal naysayers doing the down man before he's even started the job.

> Boris is right, we need more optimism, more 'can do' spirit and more confidence in our great nation. Let's stop running ourselves down and remember that this is country of Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, Turing, Babbage, Dickens, Kipling and Churchill. We have an unrivalled history of punching above our weight and influencing global events. 

> We've had enough of tehcnocrats, experts and the mangerial class it's time for someone with some zip, zing and razzamatazz to galavnise this country and lead us into a proud and noble future.

youtube.com/watch?v=64z16Vd69Vs&

Like this. Poor Hughie Green, serial philanderer and pathological narcissist. Back in 1977 we thought he was out of his mind now his bonkers shtick is going to be government policy. Optimism is totally inappropriate with Johnson leading our country. I don't want politicians to be optimistic I want them to be competent and sane. 

Rob Exile Ward 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

'how many endlessly repetitive,  sub-student derivative "humour" wankfest threads mocking the left's Tory/brexit hate figure of the week are running at any one time?'

I don't know - tell me. I'm not aware of any.

RomTheBear 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> It's obviously a ball-park, back of envelope, figure.  But find me a discussion anywhere on UKC where a vaguely conservative or non-left viewpoint gets representation by larger numbers of people than that 80%-90% assumption would assume - and I'll award you a chocolate fish.

A pointless exercice given that not everybody would have the same binary conception of politics as yours.

In fact I would say that many of your viewpoints are typical of the left of the 1970s.

Look at the top 10 posters. I’d say about half would definitely identify as firmly right wing.

Post edited at 21:04
 RomTheBear 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> >  Its not true left wing views dominate on UKC unless, like you, we assume centrists are left wing.

>   Or, like you, we assume left wingers are centrists?

>   Whilst accepting that governments are generally more likely to be the butt of criticism than their opposition, how many endlessly repetitive,  sub-student derivative "humour" wankfest threads mocking the left's Tory/brexit hate figure of the week are running at any one time?

Did you consider that the reason they are constantly being mocked might be because they are incompetent and ridiculous ?

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

I think we've now got the prime minister that remainers deserve. Lets face it, if the ones in charge of Brexit, May, Hammond, Robbins etc hadn't cooked up such an apalling deal and hadn't had their hands tied behind their backs whilst doing so by remainers trying to make leaving as difficult as possible so they could say "ooh, leaving is just so difficult we'll have to stay instead" then we'd have left with a half decent deal by now and there wouldn't have been a leadership contest for Boris to win.

So a fine example of what goes around comes around.

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

Yeah, no hard Brexiteers were continually voting down the Withdrawl Agreement were they. Only the nasty Remainers.

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> >  Its not true left wing views dominate on UKC unless, like you, we assume centrists are left wing.

>   Or, like you, we assume left wingers are centrists?

>   Whilst accepting that governments are generally more likely to be the butt of criticism than their opposition, how many endlessly repetitive,  sub-student derivative "humour" wankfest threads mocking the left's Tory/brexit hate figure of the week are running at any one time?

>   Maybe the few "right wingers" on here are just more mature and less needy of group approval?

If the right/Brexit could stop producing the constant stream of odious, self-serving wankers, we promise to do our bit. Deal?

In reply to Pan Ron:

> A so-called community, coming to UKC to discuss Boris, is only going to work itself up into a vortex of loathing and hate given the demographic here is probably 80-90% left-leaning.

I'm a liberal (with a little L) by nature; centrist. That probably makes me left-leaning by comparison to you.

But the reason I dislike Johnson is not because he's a Tory, but because he's a lying, power-crazed shit who will adopt whatever stance he thinks might get himself into high office. After years writing bullshit stories deriding the EU (and continuing the theme last week with the kipper), he then declared leaving the EU would be madness. Only to have another volte-face and jump on the Brexit bandwagon. Likewise his comments about how undemocratic it was for Brown to succeed from Blair without a GE, only to conveniently forget that when the chance to exploit that promotion falls to Boris. 'Sovereignty of Parliament?' oh, no, forget that; we'll just prorogue Parliament to get what we want.

That's why I despise the man. That's without even addressing his low morals when it comes to philandering relationships.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> It's obviously a ball-park, back of envelope, figure.  But find me a discussion anywhere on UKC where a vaguely conservative or non-left viewpoint gets representation by larger numbers of people than that 80%-90% assumption would assume - and I'll award you a chocolate fish.

Anyway instead of wasting everyone's time with this kind of BS what do you think of Boris and his future as PM?

Tyler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> I think we've now got the prime minister that remainers deserve. Lets face it, if the ones in charge of Brexit, May, Hammond, Robbins etc hadn't cooked up such an apalling deal and hadn't had their hands tied behind their backs whilst doing so by remainers trying to make leaving as difficult as possible so they could say "ooh, leaving is just so difficult we'll have to stay instead" then we'd have left with a half decent deal by now and there wouldn't have been a leadership contest for Boris to win.

Do you genuinely believe this as it doesn't really stand up to rational analysis, does it? For starters May herself aside negotiations were led first by Davis then Raab, both rabid leavers.

Name one concession made to remainers in the May's deal? 

The deal was as hard or harder than anything spoken about by leavers pre-vote, if you don't think so point out where I am wrong.

Who do you think affect the deal from the remain side and how?

Yanis Nayu 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

How the f*ck has it come to this? Embarrassed to be British. Profoundly depressing. 

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> I think we've now got the prime minister that remainers deserve. Lets face it, if the ones in charge of Brexit, May, Hammond, Robbins etc hadn't cooked up such an apalling deal and hadn't had their hands tied behind their backs whilst doing so by remainers trying to make leaving as difficult as possible so they could say "ooh, leaving is just so difficult we'll have to stay instead" then we'd have left with a half decent deal by now and there wouldn't have been a leadership contest for Boris to win.

> So a fine example of what goes around comes around.

Fake news dude. Or as I prefer to call it; a steaming pile of horseshit.

Hard brexiters have scuppered May’s deal (thank goodness I say) but you, instead of peddling this crap, need to go and look at the voting records. Which tories voted against the May deal? And why? 

And please elaborate on what a ‘half decent deal’ is. 

Post edited at 22:08
 Postmanpat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> If the right/Brexit could stop producing the constant stream of odious, self-serving wankers, we promise to do our bit. Deal?

No, but thanks for demonstrating my point. So boring.

Post edited at 22:06
pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Not answering the question again. So boring.

Postmanpat 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Not answering the question again. So boring.

Which question? Which bit of "no" don't you understand?

Post edited at 22:18
 Darron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Clauso:

> Buckingham Palace have just Tweeted:

> Constitutional monarchy, one's arse; you're all just taking the piss now! #QUEXIT"

Loving your work there.

AndrewJoyce 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

I think the phrase I'm searching for rhymes with 'Chuck Norris'...

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Which question? Which bit of "no" don't you understand?

The positive bit.

Sir Chasm 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> So a fine example of what goes around comes around.

When you voted to leave the eu which politicians did you think would be cooking up the deal?

In reply to subtle:

I have been soul searching for positives about Boris as PM. 

I have it! 

If there is one person succeed with Brexit, it is Boris.

He is so full of crap, I fully expect him to do nothing, whilst telling everyone he has delivered Brexit. Best of both worlds, no real change but a nation believing change has been delivered. Best outcome all around. 

Blue Straggler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to toad:

Technically “Yazz & The Plastic Population”

Run with that...

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

>For starters May herself aside negotiations were led first by Davis then Raab, both rabid leavers.

The deal as it stands was already effectively settled before Raab even took over. Davis started the negotiations but May began parallel negotiations via Ollie Robbins, hence totally undermining Davis and hence producing a remainers damage limitation brexit. This was presented to the cabinet at the infamous Chequers get together as a fait accompli, that's precisely why Davis resigned

> Name one concession made to remainers in the May's deal? 

Its not so much that there are specific concessions, although in her last ditch effort to get any old deal through she promised them the kitchen sink before realising her time was up.

The real problem was her whole approach to Brexit negotiations, at every turn she capitulated to the EU, accepting their sequencing demands (against the advice of Davis) and accepting their demand that we alone take responsibility for the backstop. There was no reason why this needed to be so, after the referendum the then Irish PM, Enda Kenny engaged in bilateral talks with the UK to find technological solutions to the border issue, these talks didn't collapse, it was a political choice of Leo Varadker to abandon them and demand we solve the issue. At no point did she ever stand up to this and test their resolve just as she never made them think for a moment that she actually intended to leave with no deal. Her no deal is better than a bad deal rhetoric was a vacuous platitude to try and keep leavers onside and the EU never thought she meant it for a moment, they have said so themselves.

> Who do you think affect the deal from the remain side and how?

May, Hammond, Robbins, most of the cabinet (remainers outnumbered leavers by around 6 to 1), most of the civil service. Then there was the relentless campaigning from remainers in parliament, the media and others in prominent public positions who refused to accept the referendum result. The lying duplicitous MPs who had promised to respect the result, even stood on manifesto pledges to respect it but did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible to leave with campaigns for second referendums and in the commons ammendments and constitutional jiggery pokery in cahoots with a blatantly biased speaker.

The EU could clearly see all this and knew that even if the PM's heart had actually been in Brexit she would have had just as big a battle domestically as she would have had to have with them, hence she was fighting with one arm tied behind her back.

The idea that if we as a nation had shown a united front and strong resolve in the negotiations we would have ended up with the same deal is utterly ridiculous, as the recent documentary showed, they were expecting a tough time from us but ended up pissing themselves laughing at our lamentable effort.

So the remainers have created the situation where we couldn't leave because the deal was so crap, the PM has had to resign and the Tory membership have not unreasonably concluded that remainers and "safe pair of hands" politicians won't do the trick. Desperate times call for desperate measures, business as usual has failed and a maverick has been chosen because they've nothing more to lose.

Remainers have created perhaps the only circumstances under which Johnson could get this job, they've got the PM they deserve.

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Hard brexiters have scuppered May’s deal (thank goodness I say)

Along with almost the entire Labour party who stood on a manifesto promise to deliver Brexit without any intention of ever doing so.

> Which tories voted against the May deal? And why? 

The ones who wanted Brexit instead of Brino, because the deal was crap.

> And please elaborate on what a ‘half decent deal’ is. 

I haven't got time, I've already wasted too much time in my lengthy reply above and frankly, I don't think you're actually interested anyway.

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> When you voted to leave the eu which politicians did you think would be cooking up the deal?

In theory David Cameron though obviously I realised that realistically he wasn't going to hang around if he lost (another remainer lie).

Beyond that, how should I know who the Tory party would choose?

RomTheBear 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> No, but thanks for demonstrating my point. So boring.

I don’t know if you realise that, lately, you are giving the impression that you have retreated in your inner baby.

Instead of complaining about the rest of world being a bunch of histerics communists because reality doesn’t match your beliefs, try making some wise points.

Sir Chasm 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> In theory David Cameron though obviously I realised that realistically he wasn't going to hang around if he lost (another remainer lie).

So you didn't think it would be Cameron.

> Beyond that, how should I know who the Tory party would choose?

I don't know. You voted for this catastrophe with apparently no idea who would carry it out or how it would be achieved. And now it looks a bit shit you're busy blaming someone else, it's always someone else's fault.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> I haven't got time, I've already wasted too much time in my lengthy reply above and frankly, I don't think you're actually interested anyway.

Gotcha! Hot air.

baron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

You would be more than happy for the UK to remain in the EU no matter how it happens, who makes it happen or what affect it has on the UK.

How is your position any different to pec’s?

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> I don't know. You voted for this catastrophe with apparently no idea who would carry it out or how it would be achieved. And now it looks a bit shit you're busy blaming someone else, it's always someone else's fault.

Lets suppose we actually leave and in 5 years the PM who wants to stay out is compromised/forced into holding a 'confirmatory' referendum to see if we still want to stay out. He says he'll stay on whatever but we all know if he loses he'll resign.

Are you seriously telling me you'd vote to stay out rather than rejoin because you don't know for sure who'll actually be in charge of renegotiating our re-entry?

Don't give me that b*llocks, you'd vote to go back in like a shot and take a chance on whoever ends up in charge.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

His acceptance speech must have been written on the bog this morning. It reminds me of the sort of middle manager who’s been sidemoted due to lack of technical ability into a non-critical position.

Like these muddle managers his speech was low on content, high on self invested motivation, meaningless and instantly forgotten by the people who have to actually do the job.

I am actually relishing the prospect of his encounter with reality.

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Gotcha! Hot air.

Congratulations, you must feel very pleased with yourself but if you think I'm going to write an essay (which is what would be required to answer your question) when you don't really care what I think then you can forget it.

Sir Chasm 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Lets suppose we actually leave and in 5 years the PM who wants to stay out is compromised/forced into holding a 'confirmatory' referendum to see if we still want to stay out. He says he'll stay on whatever but we all know if he loses he'll resign.

> Are you seriously telling me you'd vote to stay out rather than rejoin because you don't know for sure who'll actually be in charge of renegotiating our re-entry?

> Don't give me that b*llocks, you'd vote to go back in like a shot and take a chance on whoever ends up in charge.

Don't be ridiculous, you've told us it's going to be much better outside the eu, so why would I vote to rejoin?

Meanwhile, back in the real world shitshow you have voted for, when you voted to leave who did you actually think was going to sort it out?

Tyler 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Along with almost the entire Labour party who stood on a manifesto promise to deliver Brexit without any intention of ever doing so.

1. The Labour Party didn't't win and weren't in govt. 

2. Everyone agrees that their opposition on every front has been risible so if the goats plans collapsed under the minimal scrutiny Corbyn put them under then it shows how awful they were.

3. There is no requirement for the opposition to stand by their manifesto after it has been voted down in a GE! The manifesto s to say what you would do if you get into govt, not a binding policy document for ever more.

pasbury 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Congratulations, you must feel very pleased with yourself but if you think I'm going to write an essay (which is what would be required to answer your question) when you don't really care what I think then you can forget it.

You are mistaken. I have asked leavers on this forum many times for positives arising from leaving the EU  as have many others. Not just aspirations; actual circumstances and new relationships with the rest of the world that will make my life better now and the lives of my children better over the next 50 years. No one has ever answered me, never mind said anything persuasive.

I’m not feeling pleased with myself at all, I realise that even if you did write an essay it wouldn’t matter much anyway as you’re not in a position to implement anything. But it would still be interesting for you to make a positive case (without lies) to support your position.

baron 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Don't be ridiculous, you've told us it's going to be much better outside the eu, so why would I vote to rejoin?

> Meanwhile, back in the real world shitshow you have voted for, when you voted to leave who did you actually think was going to sort it out?

The Guardian didn’t know so how was your average person supposed to know?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/bor...

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Don't be ridiculous, you've told us it's going to be much better outside the eu, so why would I vote to rejoin?

I shall treat this comment with the contempt it deserves

> Meanwhile, back in the real world shitshow you have voted for, when you voted to leave who did you actually think was going to sort it out?

I've already told you, can't you read?

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> You are mistaken. I have asked leavers on this forum many times for positives arising from leaving the EU  as have many others. Not just aspirations; actual circumstances and new relationships with the rest of the world that will make my life better now and the lives of my children better over the next 50 years. No one has ever answered me, never mind said anything persuasive.

Rubbish, you have had many answers over the past 3 years, you just don't agree with them.

> I’m not feeling pleased with myself at all, I realise that even if you did write an essay it wouldn’t matter much anyway as you’re not in a position to implement anything. But it would still be interesting for you to make a positive case (without lies) to support your position.

I did so many times, if you didn't read them or can't remember that's not my problem. I've got better things to do than endlessly repeat myself to people who aren't persuadable anyway.

pec 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> 1. The Labour Party didn't't win and weren't in govt. 

The MPs were still elected in good faith to implement their promises

> 2. Everyone agrees that their opposition on every front has been risible so if the goats plans collapsed under the minimal scrutiny Corbyn put them under then it shows how awful they were.

Goats?

> 3. There is no requirement for the opposition to stand by their manifesto after it has been voted down in a GE! The manifesto s to say what you would do if you get into govt, not a binding policy document for ever more.

Weasel words. No wonder Labour is haemorrhaging support to the Brexit party in its traditional heartlands.

pasbury 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Rubbish, you have had many answers over the past 3 years, you just don't agree with them.

I haven’t had any, I do remember you know. Not surprising really, can you point me at one speech by a politician that might persuade me, because nobody on this forum has ever made made a positive, specific case for any sort of Brexit, never mind a no deal one.

> I did so many times, if you didn't read them or can't remember that's not my problem. I've got better things to do than endlessly repeat myself to people who aren't persuadable anyway.

No you haven’t. I’ve had a quick trawl through your posts and they all follow the same pattern you’ve followed on this thread. Blaming doubters for the shortcomings in your own arguments.

Tyler 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> The deal as it stands was already effectively settled before Raab even took over. Davis started the negotiations but May began parallel negotiations via Ollie Robbins, hence totally undermining Davis and hence producing a remainers damage limitation brexit. This was presented to the cabinet at the infamous Chequers get together as a fait accompli, that's precisely why Davis resigned

The other version is that David Davis was inept and lazy so needed a hand. Regardless the deal was a lot harder than anything promised in the run up to the vote, so what was wrong with it? It left the EU, the FTA, the CU, it stopped immigration, we got all out our sovereignty back (if you can call trying to bypass parliament at every turn a return of sovereignty) from the EU so what more did you want when you voted?

> Its not so much that there are specific concessions, although in her last ditch effort to get any old deal through she promised them the kitchen sink before realising her time was up.

What concessions, the deal, once agreed was done and there was (is) no opportunity for May to grant concessions

> The real problem was her whole approach to Brexit negotiations, at every turn she capitulated to the EU, accepting their sequencing demands (against the advice of Davis) and accepting their demand that we alone take responsibility for the backstop. There was no reason why this needed to be so, after the referendum the then Irish PM, Enda Kenny engaged in bilateral talks with the UK to find technological solutions to the border issue, these talks didn't collapse, it was a political choice of Leo Varadker to abandon them and demand we solve the issue. At no point did she ever stand up to this and test their resolve just as she never made them think for a moment that she actually intended to leave with no deal. Her no deal is better than a bad deal rhetoric was a vacuous platitude to try and keep leavers onside and the EU never thought she meant it for a moment, they have said so themselves.

Even if that were true and we were left to find a technological solution to the Irish border by ourselves that would only delay it but brexiters are terrified of the backstop because they know this 'technological solution' is just made up nonsense. There was no reason to make them think we would leave with no deal because everyone wanted a deal, no deal is not a thing! When South Sudan split from Sudan there was a deal, if we end up with a no deal it will be a temporary state of affairs until we get a deal so why would anyone threaten a no deal or even entertain the idea.  What deal do you think was missed out on? If you go and buy a car you might negotiate hard and get a few quid off but no matter how charming you are the dealer will never give it to you for free. Likewise it makes no difference who you are or what you say the eu are not going to give you the benefits of the EU without some commitments in return. 

> May, Hammond, Robbins, most of the cabinet (remainers outnumbered leavers by around 6 to 1), most of the civil service. Then there was the relentless campaigning from remainers in parliament, the media and others in prominent public positions who refused to accept the referendum result. The lying duplicitous MPs who had promised to respect the result, even stood on manifesto pledges to respect it but did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible to leave with campaigns for second referendums and in the commons ammendments and constitutional jiggery pokery in cahoots with a blatantly biased speaker.

Again, what was missing from the deal? There was a deal done it was ultimately voted down by the ERG

> The EU could clearly see all this and knew that even if the PM's heart had actually been in Brexit she would have had just as big a battle domestically as she would have had to have with them, hence she was fighting with one arm tied behind her back.

Fighting what though? We chose to leave, the EU produced a nice sheet of A4 saying these are options for the EU has for a relationship with a third party and then the Tories went away and argued with each other for three years. Despite that a deal was done to leave the EU and the group who most wanted to leave the EU got cold feet and voted it down.

> The idea that if we as a nation had shown a united front and strong resolve in the negotiations we would have ended up with the same deal is utterly ridiculous, as the recent documentary showed, they were expecting a tough time from us but ended up pissing themselves laughing at our lamentable effort.

Ah the old intangibles like resolve, stiff upper lip etc. Probably my fault as I didn't believe enough. The issue was not a lack of resolve but that the whole leaver plan was predicated on the EU crumbling before the economic might of the UK, when that happened there was nothing left.

> So the remainers have created the situation where we couldn't leave because the deal was so crap, the PM has had to resign and the Tory membership have not unreasonably concluded that remainers and "safe pair of hands" politicians won't do the trick.

As a remainer I'm struggling to see what was wrong with the deal, it was a deal to leave the EU, exactly what you voted for. The fact that leaving the eU turns out to be a shit idea is nothing to do with who negotiates.

> Desperate times call for desperate measures, business as usual has failed and a maverick has been chosen because they've nothing more to lose.

Ah so business area so to blame even though they never wanted this either and have been opposing it all along. 

> Remainers have created perhaps the only circumstances under which Johnson could get this job, they've got the PM they deserve.

Typical spinelessness from brexiters. You've shat the bed and now blame everyone else including the fact that you've voted in an idiot to be PM. 

Tyler 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> The MPs were still elected in good faith to implement their promises

How do you do that when you are the opposition?

> Goats?

Govts, could you not work that out or were you just taking the easy option to avoid answering?

> Weasel words. No wonder Labour is haemorrhaging support to the Brexit party in its traditional heartlands.

Are you saying parties are expected to stick to their manifesto even though it's been rejected? For how long?

Tyler 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Rubbish, you have had many answers over the past 3 years, you just don't agree with them.

Its not that we don't agree it's that they are all lies. Its why the best Johnson was able to do in a recent hustings was lie about EU regulations. Yes we've heard the reasons for three years and they've all turned out to be lies:

Economic prosperity = Reduced GDP

Free trade = No deal

Sovereignty = Prorogue parliament and another PM from Eton

German car manufacturers coming to us = Wah, wah, the EU are being unfair

Andy Hardy 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:>

Ignoring all the post event blame storming above the biggest hurdles in the negotiations were those immovable red lines. Presumably they were produced by or for the ERG, but resulted in a totally undeliverable brexit.

As for having nothing left to lose, that's possibly true of the Tory membership, mostly retired, white, affluent, males. Not true for those of us who actually contribute to the economy.

Removed User 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> As for having nothing left to lose, that's possibly true of the Tory membership, mostly retired, white, affluent, males. Not true for those of us who actually contribute to the economy.

Are you actually suggesting that most of the membership of the Conservative Party are "...retired, white, affluent, males..."  and have not contributed to the economy? If that is the case then you are totally ignorant.

wercat 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

The shite really flies for us when we see what he puts in his Kabinette

stevieb 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> Along with almost the entire Labour party who stood on a manifesto promise to deliver Brexit without any intention of ever doing so.

During the referendum campaign, Brexit was deliberately so iIl-defined that it could have meant anything from Norway to North Korea (or in fact the best bits from each option). 

I don’t think labour have ever voted against a flavour of Brexit which met the 6 conditions from their manifesto. 

stevieb 24 Jul 2019
In reply to wercat:

> The shite really flies for us when we see what he puts in his Kabinette

How many people do you think he's promised to make Chancellor of the Exchequer?

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

>...and hence producing a remainers damage limitation brexit.

You make that sound like a bad thing.  Would you prefer a damage maximisation brexit?

TobyA 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

From the heart of the Union (well a campsite in France at least) Chapeau Monsieur! Chapeau!

Rant of the year, but completely on the nose. 👍

XXXX 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

I've had a quick look through and I can't see anyone who's pushed back on your point that the civil service has somehow prevented Brexit. The civil service is made up of many individuals, all with their own political and personal ideas, but which they leave at the door of the office to do the work of the government of the day. They are fiercely proud of their neutrality and ability to give independent advice.

They have no power to make final decisions on how things are done. They cannot start their own negotiations. They cannot do anything that a minister doesn't want them to. 

Thousands of people are turning up to work today knowing that the things they've dedicated the last two years to could be scrapped at a moment's notice. They will smile, shrug and start to work equally diligently on the wishes of their new minister with not so much as a grumble.

So tell me - how is it their fault? 

And what evidence do you have that they are mostly remainers?

Irk - ex civil servant.

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2019
In reply to XXXX:

> And what evidence do you have that they are mostly remainers?

To be fair, given their immersion in facts and detail, and their focus on what is actually deliverable without embarrassing their minister, I can see how it might happen.

In reply to Oceanrower:

Hasn’t f*cked up yet??? You’ve noticed he’s appointed Dominic Cummings as political adviser and apparently chosen Priti Patel as Home Secretary?

This is going to be worse than I thought, and I thought it would be terrible.

jcm

GravitySucks 24 Jul 2019

Surprised he didn't just cut out the middle man and appoint Paul Dacre as Home Secretary, but it amounts to the same thing anyway!

In reply to Pan Ron:

So the first two items on your list  of 100 good things Boris did as Mayor are freezing local government spending and reducing the area of the congestion charge.

And those are the two best things.

Buckle up, everyone.

This assumption that Johnson is a middle of the road Tory at heart, albeit presently pandering to the anti-European obsession for personal gain, is wrong. At heart he’s thoroughly, thoroughly nasty and regressive. He just doesn’t care who shags whom, and that gets him credit as a social liberal.

jcm

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> >...and hence producing a remainers damage limitation brexit.

> You make that sound like a bad thing.  Would you prefer a damage maximisation brexit?

It's a complete bloody nightmare - there's no other word for it. A 'damage maximisation Brexit' is looking ever more likely.

Rob Exile Ward 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Or a complete meltdown of the Tory party. Anyone know what the numbers are who are likely to support a no confidence vote rathe than a no deal Brexit? Because a GE - especially if someone will finally kick JC off his fence - could be very interesting, and perhaps in a good way.

In reply to baron:

That’s the Guardian reporting what bookmakers think, not offering its own opinion.

It’s striking how whenever you check the most trivial fact leavers quote, it turns out not to be true.

jcm

Andy Hardy 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Most card carrying member of the Tory party are white, are male, are affluent and with a reported average age of 60+, many will be retired i.e. not working. Note the use of the present tense there.

If you're already drawing a pension, the economy going tits up is less of a concern, that's the point. They don't have the same skin in the game.

Offwidth 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

It surprised me but the tories are having a real gender crisis. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-party-members-tory-women-gen...

Offwidth 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Do you have new data for 60+. The latest I have is in the high 50s.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05125/SN05125.pdf

.... I agree what you say is likely by the way for the reasons discussed in the link below (another indication of the mess the party is in at grass roots level and which of course raises even more concerns about party  leadership elections).

https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conserva...

Post edited at 10:47
 Pete Pozman 24 Jul 2019

> And what evidence do you have that they are mostly remainers?

I'd think the chief evidence would be to do with their levels of education and competence

But will anyone kick JC off his fence? If he were to turn against Brexit I think it's highly likely he'd win a GE, but if he carries on dithering, or appearing pro-Brexit, I don't think he's got much of a chance.

Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

The Bow Group has a number of estimates of the ages of party members, all of which suggest an average age between 65 and 75

https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conserva...

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

> Hasn’t f*cked up yet??? You’ve noticed he’s appointed Dominic Cummings as political adviser and apparently chosen Priti Patel as Home Secretary?

I already need a bucket to hand when I think about these two nasty pieces of work.

I reckon I'll need horse tranquiliser too by the end of today.

RomTheBear 24 Jul 2019

> Hasn’t f*cked up yet??? You’ve noticed he’s appointed Dominic Cummings as political adviser and apparently chosen Priti Patel as Home Secretary?

Patel as home secretary ? My god, this is way worse than I thought.

jkarran 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> The idea that if we as a nation had shown a united front and strong resolve in the negotiations we would have ended up with the same deal is utterly ridiculous, as the recent documentary showed, they were expecting a tough time from us but ended up pissing themselves laughing at our lamentable effort.

The nation doesn't have a united front, it's torn asunder. Pretending otherwise, that an essentially 50:50 result represents a clear and lasting mandate for radical ultra high risk change is in large part how we've ended up in this mess.

> So the remainers have created the situation where we couldn't leave because the deal was so crap, the PM has had to resign and the Tory membership have not unreasonably concluded that remainers and "safe pair of hands" politicians won't do the trick. Desperate times call for desperate measures, business as usual has failed and a maverick has been chosen because they've nothing more to lose.

'The deal' reflects reality, we don't hold all the cards, benefits come with responsibilities. Your ridiculous railing against that reality would in normal times be quite funny. It isn't.

We, and that includes the tiny disconnected fraction of the electorate who've decided to roll the dice with Johnson have *everything* still to lose. That you've been convinced otherwise on your lunatic march toward an utterly pointless economic shock is chilling.

> Remainers have created perhaps the only circumstances under which Johnson could get this job, they've got the PM they deserve.

A deliberately divided nation has created opportunities for extremist and opportunists, that Johnson is to be found floating in this scum is no surprise. We've all played our part in that of course but frankly those of us disenfranchised and imperilled by the brexit process, the 48% who've simply ceased to exist as a constituency of value since 2016 have been left with no choice but to continue opposition. It needn't have been thus had the campaign been more honest, expectations managed but that wouldn't have delivered the 'win'. This mess we face now is a consequence of the race to get brexit past the point of no-return before the illusion it delivers anything to the ordinary Joe is shattered and public support is lost. You've been fed brexit not as a tool or project which delivers anything tangibly valuable but as an identity so as to further delay that realisation. The unacceptable risk in this of course is that in so doing the architects of brexit have balkanised the UK. Likely now to no end even as momentum is lost, the hump still not cleared.

jk

Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

> So the remainers have created the situation where we couldn't leave because the deal was so crap,

What part did remainers play in the refusal of the ERG and DUP to support the WA? If that collection of leavers had voted with the government, we'd be out by now. 

jkarran 24 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> You would be more than happy for the UK to remain in the EU no matter how it happens, who makes it happen or what affect it has on the UK. How is your position any different to pec’s?

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't jeopardise the stability and security of our nation or another's for it. I wouldn't risk civil war for it. I wouldn't jeopardise the health and safety of our population for it. I wouldn't jeopardise our economy, industry and other people's livelihoods for it. I wouldn't jeopardise our fu*king food supply for it.

Apart from that though you're right, our positions are essentially indistinguishable.

jk

krikoman 24 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Patel as home secretary ? My god, this is way worse than I thought.

That's peace in the middle east sorted then. FFS!

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> If you're already drawing a pension, the economy going tits up is less of a concern, that's the point. They don't have the same skin in the game.

They don't think they have the same skin in the game.  But actually if the economy really goes tits up they will discover the pension system and the NHS rely on a functional economy.  

jkarran 24 Jul 2019

> But will anyone kick JC off his fence? If he were to turn against Brexit I think it's highly likely he'd win a GE, but if he carries on dithering, or appearing pro-Brexit, I don't think he's got much of a chance.

There's a real risk when he's eventually pressed to turn Labour against brexit it'll be too little too late to rally strong (and frankly undeserved) remainer support but enough to cleave the remain vote clean in half between labour and any emergent remain alliance allowing FPTP to do its thing and deliver a Con/Farage majority even in strong remain seats.

An election is a poor, frankly dangerous way to definitively resolve this issue, the distorted result will always be ambiguous.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

Yes, to all that. Deeply depressing ... and worrying.

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

They created it, and included conditions they knew full well the ERG and DUP couldn’t sign up to.

Ian W 24 Jul 2019
In reply to thomasadixon:

Untrue.

Mays deal satisfied everything required to leave the EU. What conditions were unacceptable to the ERG / DUP that they could not have predicted?

And as a part b, what modifications would you suggest that would have been acceptable?

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian W:

The requirement that we needed their consent to leave the agreement.  The different treatment of NI to the rest of the U.K.

Scrap the backstop.

Surely you’ve heard this before?  It’s not like leaver Tories and DUP were quiet about their complaints.  They repeatedly told May, and the press reported it.

eg - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/04/jun... almost 2 years ago now.

Post edited at 13:07
 Iamgregp 24 Jul 2019
In reply to marsbar:

He also banned drinking on the tube, which nobody wanted.  Including TFL.

EDIT: He also cancelled thew annual R!se against racism festival which took place every year in Finsbury park.  I was possibly a bit too anti-racist for BoJo's liking.

Don't @ me about the cost of putting it on, he squandered many times more than that on his vanity projects...

Post edited at 13:20
 Ian W 24 Jul 2019

> The requirement that we needed their consent to leave the agreement.  The different treatment of NI to the rest of the U.K.

> Scrap the backstop.

> Surely you’ve heard this before?  It’s not like leaver Tories and DUP were quiet about their complaints.  They repeatedly told May, and the press reported it.

So the whole lot of us were beholden to 2 small groups of extremists? Makes any complaints about lack of democracy in the EU seem like a bit of a childish whine.....and I note we already treat NI differently to the rest of the UK; why not add some trading arrangements to the current list (same sex marriage, abortion etc). Before heading down the road of the Tories getting into bed with the political wing of a terrorost organisation in order to cling on to power.

Backstop - a necessity in order to have all the other leavy bits and separate the UK from the EU. I note the ERG / DUP / any other leaver has not come up with a better idea.......

Heard it all before, and heard about all the things they don't like, but not what they would like, not a single better idea *. So to part b, what would you suggest as an alternative?

* Edit - not a single alternative idea. and yes, i read the link in your edit - doesnt change much.....

Post edited at 13:28
 Tyler 24 Jul 2019

> They created it, and included conditions they knew full well the ERG and DUP couldn’t sign up to.

Why should the deal be everything the ERG want to the exclusion of everyone else?

What in particular were their objections?

Ramblin dave 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Backstop - a necessity in order to have all the other leavy bits and separate the UK from the EU. I note the ERG / DUP / any other leaver has not come up with a better idea.......

We could have left with no deal and created a hard border in Northern Ireland. It seems like dividing border communities, trashing the Good Friday Agreement and probably re-igniting the Troubles is a tough price to pay, but being stuck in a customs union would prevent the Tory hard right from selling out the NHS to the Americans and turning the UK into a tax haven so it's clearly a price worth paying.

Ian W 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> We could have left with no deal and created a hard border in Northern Ireland. It seems like dividing border communities, trashing the Good Friday Agreement and probably re-igniting the Troubles is a tough price to pay, but being stuck in a customs union would prevent the Tory hard right from selling out the NHS to the Americans and turning the UK into a tax haven so it's clearly a price worth paying.

Indeed. What could possibly go wrong?

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> So the whole lot of us were beholden to 2 small groups of extremists?  Makes any complaints about lack of democracy in the EU seem like a bit of a childish whine.....and I note we already treat NI differently to the rest of the UK; why not add some trading arrangements to the current list (same sex marriage, abortion etc). Before heading down the road of the Tories getting into bed with the political wing of a terrorost organisation in order to cling on to power.

We don’t treat NI differently on a U.K. level, just at a local level - you know like we do with Scotland, and Wales, and Bristol.  Getting duly elected MPs to agree is the basis of UK democracy.  The complaints about the EU are much greater and if you are actually interested in that read the other thread.  I doubt you are, you’re just blowing hot air.

> Backstop - a necessity in order to have all the other leavy bits and separate the UK from the EU. I note the ERG / DUP / any other leaver has not come up with a better idea.......

Not at all a necessity.

> Heard it all before, and heard about all the things they don't like, but not what they would like, not a single better idea.

So why claim it’s a lie?

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Why should the deal be what May wants ignoring everyone else?

Ian W 24 Jul 2019

> We don’t treat NI differently on a U.K. level, just at a local level - you know like we do with Scotland, and Wales, and Bristol.  Getting duly elected MPs to agree is the basis of UK democracy.  The complaints about the EU are much greater and if you are actually interested in that read the other thread.  I doubt you are, you’re just blowing hot air.

Have done (many more than one thread.......). Just asking for answers.....

> Not at all a necessity.

So go one then, an alternative......

> So why claim it’s a lie?

What's a lie? I was answering your assertion that "they" (remainers) put things in that were unacceptable to the ERG / DUP. Why should they be pandered to and not be expected to sign up to a deal that satisfies all the requirements it was supposed to achieve.? There is no reason other than bloody mindedness that prevented the ERG from achieving their aim of getting the UK out of the EU. Unless their main aim was to gain further power and influence........hmmm.........

Offwidth 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

I agree the electoral situation is complex but in the end I think its most likely, if a brexit deal can't be done, that the Brexit party and the new further right Conservatives cancel each other out in any imminent General Election and will really struggle to provide a majority government (unless the conservatives implode... unlikely under the heat of an election as the Brexit party has no established base and loads of skeletons in closets). Even with local deals with brexiters not to stand against each other they rely on English Labour, Liberals, and Greens splitting the centrist/leftist/remainer votes relatively equally... this seems very unlikely to me given the variety of constituency demographics, alongside the Scottish and Welsh seats.

jkarran 24 Jul 2019

> Why should the deal be what May wants ignoring everyone else?

It isn't what May wanted. It's what's politically achievable within the constraints she and the EU imposed, the ugly collision of fantasy and reality. Those who peddled the fantasy cannot of course be seen to accept that. Those who bought it, who built an identity upon it are predictably still too embarrassed to. So here we are: fu*ked.

jk

Tyler 24 Jul 2019

Well she would say it was an attempt at a compromise, I'd obviously disagree but certainly the ERG represent the militant wing of Brexit so they should not be the ones calling the shots

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Have done (many more than one thread.......). Just asking for answers.....

You’ll find them in the other thread.

> So go one then, an alternative......

There’s no need for alternatives to things that aren’t necessary.

> What's a lie? I was answering your assertion that "they" (remainers) put things in that were unacceptable to the ERG / DUP. Why should they be pandered to and not be expected to sign up to a deal that satisfies all the requirements it was supposed to achieve.? There is no reason other than bloody mindedness that prevented the ERG from achieving their aim of getting the UK out of the EU. Unless their main aim was to gain further power and influence........hmmm.........

You said “untrue”, if you didn’t mean “that’s a lie” what did you mean?

There are bloody obvious reasons, stated above by me, stated by them repeatedly over the last few years.

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

It’s quite obviously not achieveable.

Mike Stretford 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> There's a real risk when he's eventually pressed to turn Labour against brexit it'll be too little too late to rally strong (and frankly undeserved) remainer support but enough to cleave the remain vote clean in half between labour and any emergent remain alliance allowing FPTP to do its thing and deliver a Con/Farage majority even in strong remain seats.

For a clever bloke you have such a skewered view of the Labour party situation.

Most labour party members are against Brexit but there's a sizeable and vocal minority who aren't. Corbyn isn't going to 'turn' anyone, including his own MPs who are mostly against and will vote how they want. Corbyn's position is essentially irrelevant.

I've got to say, it's remainers  who will mess it up by splitting the vote where only Labour can beat Brexit party/ Boris's populist Tory part.

Post edited at 13:51
 jkarran 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I hope you're right and you very well could be. I just fear on balance a right-wing/pro-brexit pact will given the extremist nature of the Conservative membership/associations be easier to pull together and more effective than the alternative remain coalition. Especially so if that alternative is left scrapping for votes with the remains of a Labour party notionally on the same turf but that will not under any circumstances do tactical deals for fear of losing the strategic advantage FPTP and decades of gerymandering have afforded.

jk

Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019

> They created it, and included conditions they knew full well the ERG and DUP couldn’t sign up to.

Do you actually have any proof of that, or is it simply a way of avoiding any responsibility on the part of leavers? The Brexit Secretaries have all been ardent leavers, the Foreign Secretary at the time of the negotiations was the leader of the Leave campaign, and yet the failure of the Government to achieve a majority for its own WA is somehow the fault of remainers? Are you really serious?  

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019

The foreign secretary and the brexit secretaries you’re talking about resigned over the deal because they didn’t agree with what May was doing!

You guys really are obsessed with blame you know - our MPs, all of them, are responsible for where we are now.

Post edited at 14:14
 jkarran 24 Jul 2019

> It’s quite obviously not achieveable.

It, the withdrawal agreement and political declaration, the compromise forged between May's red lines and the EU's: that is achieved. That it turns out 'brexit' exposed to the unavoidable harsh light of reality is a bit shit, that it doesn't do what the liars and dreamers hoped and claimed, that ultimately brexiteers killed brexit... Well that particular irony is just delicious.

jk

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

> You guys really are obsessed with blame you know - our MPs, all of them, are responsible for where we are now.

Really? And here you are, for want of a better word, 'blaming' not just remainers but insufficiently 'pure' leavers for the deadlock in parliament.

Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019

> The foreign secretary and the brexit secretaries you’re talking about resigned over the deal because they didn’t agree with what May was doing!

They resigned eventually. The backstop was agreed by both sides in December 2017. It took Davies and Johnson another 7 months to resign. I wonder what they were doing in the meantime? 

> You guys really are obsessed with blame you know - our MPs, all of them, are responsible for where we are now.

And yet you seem very keen to blame everyone but the leavers! Everything we have in front of now is a direct result of the actions of leavers - they won the referendum, and all else has flowed from there. I applaud your Johnson-esque enthusiasm for evading responsibility, but please don't expect everyone to fall for those tactics. 

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

I'd just like to ask you one question; why do you think it has been so hard to come up with a deal that can get through parliament? A lot of hard work went into it, a lot of knowledgeable people worked on it (I don't include brexit Ministers in thier number though), and the EU has acted with absolute clarity since day 1.

Ian W 24 Jul 2019

> You said “untrue”, if you didn’t mean “that’s a lie” what did you mean?

Untrue refers simply to something that isn't true - as in it isn't true that remainers put together the withdrawal agreement and included things that they knew weren't acceptable to the ERG and DUP. The WA was in fact, negotiated by a mix of remainers / leavers. So if when you said that remainers negotiated the deal and included things they knew to be unacceptable to the ERG / DUP you were simply mistaken. Your statement is untrue.

A lie is something that is known not to be true at the time it is said / written. If  at the time of writing, you knew that the WA wasn't only put together by remainers, then its a lie.

Hope thats reasonably clear.

> There are bloody obvious reasons, stated above by me, stated by them repeatedly over the last few years.

They are only obvious to those who have an agenda beyond simply leaving the EU. Their ideology seems to trump everything else, and they seem to be wilfully blind to the reasons why we need the Belfast Accord to hold.

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Nah, I’m answering an assertion that just two rather small groups are to blame for everything.

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2019

> We don’t treat NI differently on a U.K. level, just at a local level

I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means.  If you can't get an abortion because it's against the law is that a local or a UK level infringement of your rights?  And why is that the Democratic Unionist Party is so keen on Ulster being so unlike the rest of the UK?   

- you know like we do with Scotland, and Wales, and Bristol.  

I'm pretty sure gay marriage is legal in Bristol.

Post edited at 14:37
 thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Hope thats reasonably clear.

Yes, it’s a pointless quibble, I get it.

> They are only obvious to those who have an agenda beyond simply leaving the EU. Their ideology seems to trump everything else, and they seem to be wilfully blind to the reasons why we need the Belfast Accord to hold.

They are obvious to anyone who’s paid any attention to the news for the past couple of years.

Bob Hughes 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pec:

If you had said that remainers bear *some* responsibility for where we are, i would have agreed with you. But you seem to be saying that Boris is all the fault of the remainers.  And that brexiters - David Davis at Dexue, Boris Johnson at the Foreign Office, Gove etc - were all haplessly outmaneuvered. There were plenty of brexiters in big cabinet and ministerial jobs to influence the direction of travel they just failed. If Davis couldn't even persuade his own boss to follow his advice, how are we expected to believe that he could have sold a better deal to the EU? 

Don't get me wrong, I think there were massive mistakes made by the government. Principally, failing to get a consensus on what kind of brexit we want and what trade-offs we will make in the negotiations, ideally before triggering A50. I just don't think these were partisan mistakes - they were competence mistakes. 

edited for clarity

Post edited at 14:41
 thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019

I imagine (since this is what was reported at the time) they were trying to change it.  They failed.

I hold all MPs responsible, not one group.

profitofdoom 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Boris Karloff?? I didn't know he was still around. Good move, anyway

Offwidth 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

My argument relies on Boris being unable to negotiate a deal and trying to force a no deal brexit in October, with a vote of no confidence as a result, but as I said, they can deal away in constituencies and Brexit coalitions but it won't help unless Corbyn's stupidity exceeds all expectations, as the numbers simply don't add up... I think Corbyn's situation will improve significantly as Labour MPs are all but a few outliers completely against a no deal brexit, as are the vast majority of Labour voters. Labour can unite again with the conscientious rebel MPs like Caroline Flint and the hard line union leaders like McClusky and the minority amongst their voters who were seeking a brexit with a deal (to protect the working population from exploitation). My guesstimate is around a quarter of the English population actively want no deal and hardly any remain or brexit deal based tory swing voters will stick with them out of loyally in an election where voting tory is said to acheive that. Corbyn may even be gone if the Liberals do very well (and the SNP as expected) as any coalition government will likely make it a requirement. 

This morning I've listened to a succession of tory MPs and right wing pundits and his ex London mayoral administrators, who are backing Boris and none of it (the force of enthusiasm, greater pragmatism than the rhetoric indicates, etc.) actually adds up to unicorns....  early indications are just the opposite with Priti Patel in as Home Secretary and the reluctance to give Hunt a big cabinet post. When it's a matter of an unrespectable force meeting an immovable EU object the only tory solution for a brexit deal is a variant on May's deal. Even if he does this the pressure will be massively more on Labour rebels not to back what looks like a reactionary government. Hunt had a plan B and reputation as a moderate and could have dealed or delayed but not Boris. He's wrapped up in a dishonest trap like his bogus kipper.

Post edited at 15:01
 Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019

> I hold all MPs responsible, not one group.

Surely you can't be holding those MPs who did actually support the WA responsible? 

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

No agreement is achieved if one party refuses to sign, obviously.

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

It means that local areas get some say over the laws that apply locally.  Some to a lesser extent (Bristol), some greater(Scotland). None are treated as separate internationally.

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019

Why not?

In reply to Offwidth:

> My argument relies on Boris being unable to negotiate a deal and trying to force a no deal brexit in October, with a vote of no confidence as a result, but as I said, they can deal away in constituencies and Brexit coalitions but it won't help unless Corbyn's stupidity exceeds all expectations, as the numbers simply don't add up... I think Corbyn's situation will improve significantly as Labour MPs are all but a few outliers completely against a no deal brexit, as are the vast majority of Labour voters.

Not a vast majority. There's a small minority of members who would be happy with no deal and a larger minority of voters. If Brexit party stood only in Labour held seats they could win some. They'd get most of the existing non Labour vote and a chunk of the existing Labour vote. Close.

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2019

> It means that local areas get some say over the laws that apply locally.  Some to a lesser extent (Bristol), some greater(Scotland). None are treated as separate internationally.

I don't accept that a regional assembly, let alone a local authority, should have the power to enact essentially a bye-law that is in conflict with ECHR.

Actually, NI doesn't seem capable of regional self-governance at the moment and is being governed from London but, as I recall, the courts found in the absence of a functioning Stormont assembly that they didn't have the legal competence to change the law on abortion, even though they agreed that NI women were having their human rights infringed. 

Harry Jarvis 24 Jul 2019

> Why not?

You've lost me completely. You are saying that those MPs who agreed with the WA and voted accordingly have an equal share in the responsibility for the mess with which we are now faced as those who voted against the WA? This despite the fact that those who voted to leave wanted to respect the outcome of the referendum and enable the UK to leave the EU? 

So in effect, it doesn't matter who voted for what? 

thomasadixon 24 Jul 2019

Not equally, May has far more responsibility, being PM, than any back bencher.

Your “facts” include false premises.

In reply to Mike Stretford:

> For a clever bloke you have such a skewered view of the Labour party situation.

> Most labour party members are against Brexit but there's a sizeable and vocal minority who aren't. Corbyn isn't going to 'turn' anyone, including his own MPs who are mostly against and will vote how they want. Corbyn's position is essentially irrelevant.

> I've got to say, it's remainers  who will mess it up by splitting the vote where only Labour can beat Brexit party/ Boris's populist Tory part.

I don't mind dislikes at all, but I am curious in this case. I've described the situation how it is, do people not like that?

Or is it my last comment, are people actually expecting Lib dems or greens to win seat where they currently have no real presence?

Another truth you might not like......Boris has Dominic Cummings on board. Much as I dislike the bloke, he will forensically study the very varied constituencies we have. Where too many remainers are relying on outdated assumptions, he'll have an up to date plan. 

Offwidth 24 Jul 2019

Polling analysis show Labour voters voting brexit outside of London were overestimated: hardly any constituencies will have had a majority of recent Labour voters voting leave and most of those who did vote leave would have wanted a deal to protect workers rights.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/is-labours-brexit-dilemma-being-misunderstood/

For every northern seat where a Brexit coalition might now defeat a Labour incumbant, there are more seats where the opposite applies to Tory incumbants losing to Labour or Lib Dems.

In reply to Offwidth:

> Polling analysis show Labour voters voting brexit outside of London were overestimated: hardly any constituencies will have had a majority of recent Labour voters voting leave and most of those who did vote leave would have wanted a deal to protect workers rights.

The point is you don't need a majority of Labour voters to switch to lose those seats, just a sizeable minority. 

> For every northern seat where a Brexit coalition might now defeat a Labour incumbant, there are more seats where the opposite applies to Tory incumbants losing to Labour or Lib Dems.

Close, I think. I I said before Labour MPs are voting however they want on this issue, so I think it will come down to how different candidates position themselves rather than Corbyn's position. 

> It means that local areas get some say over the laws that apply locally.  Some to a lesser extent (Bristol), some greater(Scotland). None are treated as separate internationally.

Scotland isn't a 'local area' it is a country. 

Bob Hughes 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

so what do we know so far: 

Dominic Cummings - Chief of Staff

Priti Patel - Home office ? 

Liam Fox - out

Chris Grayling - out (who said Boris would never achieve anything worth having...)

Penny Mordant - out 

Greg Clarke - out

Mark Bannan 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> ... - and I'll award you a chocolate fish.

Would that be a chocolate starfish?

pasbury 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Hughes:

The outs outweigh the ins so far. If only Boris had kept to this mantra before....

climbingpixie 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Hughes:

It's got the feel of a proper ideological purge, this one! The list of those gone so far seems to be:

Sacked - Greg Clark, Penny Mordaunt, Damian Hinds, Liam Fox, James Brokenshire, Karen Bradley, Caroline Nokes

Quit - David Lidington, Philip Hammond, David Gauke, Rory Stewart, Chris Grayling

Plus Alan Duncan and Anne Milton went earlier in the week but they were more junior ministers, I think.

Think the announcements of incoming ministers are going to start soon. Javid as chancellor is the only one I've seen but not sure it's confirmed.

ETA - Mundell sacked as Scottish Sec

ETA2 - Hunt out too! In retrospect it might have been easier to list members of the cabinet who were still in post...

Post edited at 18:03
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Patel as Home Sec

Javid as chancellor

Raab as foreign sec

Good to see a cabinet so full of competence and gravitas...

P.S. missed Clare Perry off my list of cabinet quitters before.

jkarran 24 Jul 2019

> I don't mind dislikes at all, but I am curious in this case. I've described the situation how it is, do people not like that?

I don't do dislikes so not me. 

> Or is it my last comment, are people actually expecting Lib dems or greens to win seat where they currently have no real presence?

I find the sense of entitlement in it alarming, and exasperating. We owe Labour nothing, if you want our votes and trust back they're going to be very hard won. 

> Another truth you might not like......Boris has Dominic Cummings on board. Much as I dislike the bloke, he will forensically study the very varied constituencies we have. Where too many remainers are relying on outdated assumptions, he'll have an up to date plan. 

Perhaps it's time Corbyn did too then. 

Jk

jkarran 24 Jul 2019

> Close, I think. I I said before Labour MPs are voting however they want on this issue, so I think it will come down to how different candidates position themselves rather than Corbyn's position. 

Not for me. Never again am I having my vote for a good, principled anti brexit Labour MP willfully mis-portrayed as a vote for a pro brexit party. Shame but there we are, this is the choice Corbyn faces, nothing to no one or stand for something, lead one way or the other.

Jk

Post edited at 18:35
pasbury 24 Jul 2019
In reply to climbingpixie:

This is starting to feel like a coup.

In reply to pasbury:

Yes, and now there's a strong rumour that Jacob Rees-Mogg will become leader of the Commons. The extreme-right noose tightens.

Ian W 24 Jul 2019

> Yes, and now there's a strong rumour that Jacob Rees-Mogg will become leader of the Commons. The extreme-right noose tightens.

Should be some decent battles between him and the Speaker.....

They'll probably remove the requirement for junior ministers and pps's next, and replace them with a system of fagging......

In reply to Ian W:

Don't. I went to one of those establishments so I'm well qualified to share your horror.

In reply to pasbury:

And now (it gets sicker by the minute) ... Raab is 'Foreign Secretary' - this man who didn't even understand the English Channel a few months ago. I hope someone has at least bought him a decent atlas by now. 

Ian W 24 Jul 2019

It is getting somewhst beyond a joke.

mind you, i've had some light relief today watching the Muller Congressional appearance today (on holiday, and too hot to even fester by the pool), which has some very interesting moments......

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

I am way more scared of Patel as Home Sec.

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

F*cking Liz Truss get’s Liam Fox’s job.

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> And now (it gets sicker by the minute) ... Raab is 'Foreign Secretary' - this man who didn't even understand the English Channel a few months ago. I hope someone has at least bought him a decent atlas by now. 

Given he spent six years in the Foreign office, partly based in the Hague, a period working in Palestine and Brussels , had a Jewish Czech father and has a Brazilian wife one might think he probably doesn't require an atlas, just as he understood where the Channel is.

Post edited at 20:53
 RomTheBear 24 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

So here we have it, it’s not a reshuffle, it’s a new government, made up of hardliners and extremists. And we didn’t have any say.

wercat 24 Jul 2019

are we reaching the state where, as in Pakistan, people would actually look forward to a military government to oust these particular politicians and selfservatives?

baron 24 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> So here we have it, it’s not a reshuffle, it’s a new government, made up of hardliners and extremists. And we didn’t have any say.

Great, isn’t it?

balmybaldwin 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

It wasn't that he didn't know where it was, more tht he didn't know it was a vital trade route.

If you don't believe it, here it is in his own words: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46142188

How anybody thinks this man is suitable for high office is beyond me.  The same applies to the majority of people announced so far. The only position that looks vaguely suitable at the moment is Javid but lets see what he does with the magic money tree

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> It wasn't that he didn't know where it was, more tht he didn't know it was a vital trade route.

>

But he  didn't say that, did he? It's the usual distortion of the facts.

It wasn't a brilliant comment but is that really what we should focus on instead of a successful academic, legal and diplomatic career before entering politics?

Anyway I don't want to interrupt your group therapy session. I've got to get measured for my SS uniform.

John2 24 Jul 2019

'It's got the feel of a proper ideological purge, this one!'

How terrible to lose a group of ministers who have achieved so much.

Coel Hellier 24 Jul 2019

> It wasn't that he didn't know where it was, more tht he didn't know it was a vital trade route.

What he actually said was that he "had not quite understood the full extent" of the Dover-Calais link  (added emphasis). That's not the same as "didn't know it was a vital trade route".

And he really only used that wording to try to emphasize how important it actually was.  Emphasizing something by saying (in a slightly self-deprecating way) that one has just been learning it oneself is a normal way of speaking.

It is strange, people complain about politicians being all scripted and spin-doctored and only talking in sound-bites -- but if, when speaking live and off-the-cuff, they produce any wording that is sub-optimal, they're granted no leeway or charity at all. 

How many of us, if speaking live and being recorded for a major fraction of our professional lives, would never word something badly? 

Well I do speak live and off-the-cuff quite a lot (lecturing to undergrads about 100 times a year) and I know that I quite definitely make worse screw-ups than that regularly.

MonkeyPuzzle 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> What he actually said was that he "had not quite understood the full extent" of the Dover-Calais link  (added emphasis). That's not the same as "didn't know it was a vital trade route".

> And he really only used that wording to try to emphasize how important it actually was.  Emphasizing something by saying (in a slightly self-deprecating way) that one has just been learning it oneself is a normal way of speaking.

> It is strange, people complain about politicians being all scripted and spin-doctored and only talking in sound-bites -- but if, when speaking live and off-the-cuff, they produce any wording that is sub-optimal, they're granted no leeway or charity at all. 

> How many of us, if speaking live and being recorded for a major fraction of our professional lives, would never word something badly? 

Not ever insofar as I recall after vigorously campaigning for something that would have a huge effect on the thing I was admitting to be just learning about now. And I say stupid shit a lot.

> Well I do speak live and off-the-cuff quite a lot (lecturing to undergrads about 100 times a year) and I know that I quite definitely make worse screw-ups than that regularly.

Do you talk for weeks about something and *then* get to know about it? Seems lax for an academic.

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> Not ever insofar as I recall after vigorously campaigning for something that would have a huge effect on the thing I was admitting to be just learning about now. And I say stupid shit a lot.

>

Why are you ignoring what Coel said? For the same reason people ignore what Raab said?

MonkeyPuzzle 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

>   Why are you ignoring what Coel said? For the same reason people ignore what Raab said?

Which bit am I ignoring? Seeing as I'm not doing any ignoring on purpose you'll have to point it out to me.

MG 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

You must be over the moon. Lying populist, Brexiteers, extreme free-marketeers, NHS privatisers, climate change deniers. Full House for you. Hope it goes well for you or you'll look a right idiot... 

In reply to Postmanpat:

> just as he understood where the Channel is.

I didn't say that he didn't understand where the English Channel is, but that he had a very poor grasp of its geography.

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

"The boiler-plate libel: that critics of Brexit are against their own country. They are a fifth column, working against the interests of the nation. "

>>

Not one the remainers would ever use then.

Post edited at 21:44

> What he actually said was that he "had not quite understood the full extent" of the Dover-Calais link  (added emphasis). 

Wasn't that a quite extraordinarily stupid thing for a Government minister to say?

MG 24 Jul 2019

Quite. Particularly one whose lifetime ambition is to destroy a trading relationship. A miniscule amount of knowledge of the subject, or just once going to Calais would have been sufficient for him to know its importance. 

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> I didn't say that he didn't understand where the English Channel is, but that he had a very poor grasp of its geography.

It doesn't demonstrate that either. As Coel said, it was likely just a self deprecating aside. It's not clear even clear at what stage he came to understood the point. It could have been years previously. And it's not so much about geography as about the importance of RORO routes.

Yanis Nayu 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

What a bunch of bastards the cabinet is packed with. 

In reply to Postmanpat:

What you say makes me wonder whether you actually saw the clip of his interview when he said it. He came across as a young child who'd looked at an atlas for the very first time. It was at once excruciatingly embarrassing and very worrying. And shouldn't he know the basic facts/scale/importance of different RORO routes?

Post edited at 21:52
 Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019
In reply to MG:

> You must be over the moon. Lying populist, Brexiteers, extreme free-marketeers, NHS privatisers, climate change deniers. Full House for you. Hope it goes well for you or you'll look a right idiot... 

No, the only small pleasure I get is watching the UKC coven go into meltdown. But I understand that, being unable to see beyond your brainless caricatures, you might think that.

angry pirate 24 Jul 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I'm a liberal (with a little L) by nature; centrist. That probably makes me left-leaning by comparison to you.

> But the reason I dislike Johnson is not because he's a Tory, but because he's a lying, power-crazed shit who will adopt whatever stance he thinks might get himself into high office. After years writing bullshit stories deriding the EU (and continuing the theme last week with the kipper), he then declared leaving the EU would be madness. Only to have another volte-face and jump on the Brexit bandwagon. Likewise his comments about how undemocratic it was for Brown to succeed from Blair without a GE, only to conveniently forget that when the chance to exploit that promotion falls to Boris. 'Sovereignty of Parliament?' oh, no, forget that; we'll just prorogue Parliament to get what we want.

> That's why I despise the man. That's without even addressing his low morals when it comes to philandering relationships.

This^, a thousand times this^

When Boris retreated to lick his wounds after losing the referendum, i.e. gambling against Cameron and inadvertently coming out on the winning side and faced with the repercussions of promising the nation £350 million a week for the NHS, I predicted that he'd let someone else step up to the PM job to sup from the poisoned chalice that is Brexit only to pick up the baton once the hard work has been done.

God, I hate being right.

FactorXXX 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Why do I get the feeling that some of the people saying that they are hating the current situation are actually quite enjoying it... 

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> What you say makes me wonder whether you actually saw the clip of his interview when he said it. He came across as a young child who'd looked at an atlas for the very first time. It was at once excruciatingly embarrassing and very worrying.

No, he came across as someone trying to explain a basic point to an audience without sounding overly patronising.

angry pirate 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Tyler:

This too!

Have a like despite how profoundly depressing it is that you're so on the ball

In reply to Postmanpat:

Oh, so if you're explaining how an aeroplane flies (to an audience you wrongly assume to be dim), to avoid sounding patronising you say 'I didn't quite realise how important the wings are'?

Coel Hellier 24 Jul 2019

> Which bit am I ignoring?

More or less all of it.

Coel Hellier 24 Jul 2019

> Oh, so if you're explaining how an aeroplane flies (to an audience you wrongly assume to be dim), to avoid sounding patronising you say 'I didn't quite realise how important the wings are'?

He was emphasing that he wanted frictionless trade, and therefore a bespoke trade agreement (not an off-the-shelf deal).  He was emphasizing the just-in-time nature of much economic activity.  He suggested that the "average consumer" might not be fully aware of how dependent we are on a few links such as Dover-Calais.    To emphasize all of this and to avoid the last bit sounding patronising, he suggested that he himself "had not quite understood the full extent" of it.  

That is just a normal way of speaking, and does not suggest  he had no previous knowledge of it akin to "a young child who'd looked at an atlas for the very first time". 

In reply to John2:

> How terrible to lose a group of ministers who have achieved so much.

Ha, fair point. I'm just a bit surprised at the scale of the changes considering his campaign pledge to unite the party. And with the imminent need to prepare for a no deal Brexit I'd have thought there would be some value to a bit of consistency for departments. 

HansStuttgart 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

It looks like Johnson is trying to prove to the entire country that "Brexit is great as long as we have true believers in charge" does not work ... -> testing Brexit to destruction.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Why do I get the feeling that some of the people saying that they are hating the current situation are actually quite enjoying it... 

Masochistic isn't it.

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> Oh, so if you're explaining how an aeroplane flies (to an audience you wrongly assume to be dim), to avoid sounding patronising you say 'I didn't quite realise how important the wings are'?

Withuut checking. Where does Dover rank in terms of UK cargo ports and what percentage of  EU goods

trade does it account for?

Post edited at 22:18
 wercat 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

to those who say that "fake news" doesn't fool anyone and we can overlook lies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49102074

FactorXXX 24 Jul 2019

> Masochistic isn't it.

I thought it was only Tories that indulged in such deviant practices...

In reply to FactorXXX:

I'm deeply torn. On the one hand, as a politics nerd I'm finding the whole thing deeply fascinating. Some of the constitutional issues have been really interesting to watch play out and it's kind of cool observing in real time something that students will be studying for years to come in undergrad politics courses. On the other hand it's awful and I'm concerned about the future of the UK and how on earth we'll ever be able to overcome the divisions the referendum has exposed and exacerbated. On balance I'd quite like to go back to people not hating each other, to the Tories being bastards but fundamentally not mental and Labour being the good guys instead of a bunch of ideologically driven unelectables with an anti-semitism problem.

Post edited at 22:28
Lusk 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

They may have a point though with all this chitter chatter about Fascism ...

Isn't one of the keystones of a fascist state an all powerful police force? 20,000 new coppers starting on Monday.

Tyler 24 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Not for me. Never again am I having my vote for a good, principled anti brexit Labour MP willfully mis-portrayed as a vote for a pro brexit party. Shame but there we are, this is the choice Corbyn faces, nothing to no one or stand for something, lead one way or the other.

> Jk

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1154005372753129474?s=09

In reply to Postmanpat:

I imagine that it comes second or third below Felixstowe, which is obviously by far the most important.

In reply to FactorXXX:

>> Masochistic isn't it.

> I thought it was only Tories that indulged in such deviant practices...

There is definitely a seam of schadenfreude - sadism almost, permeating from some of the more right wing contributors in this thread. I hope they are enjoying their 15 minutes of glory.

pasbury 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Lusk:

And Priti Patel responsible for the police force.....

Pete Pozman 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Gavin Williamson as Education Secretary! I thank the Lord I'm retired. Priti Patel gets the Home Office... I thank the Lord I am not at her mercy.

This is going to be absolutely awful. The only silver lining is that they won't be able to blame us libtards for it. Here you go Brexiters. Enjoy. 

I wish most Brexiters could realise that most Remainers are very anxious and very angry about this completely unnecessary total f*ck-up.

Pete Pozman 24 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

"Free Trade and Mutual Support" What does that remind you of? 

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> I imagine that it comes second or third below Felixstowe, which is obviously by far the most important.

No, as of 2017 it was the 9th biggest port, but it's the busiest RORO port and accounts for about 20% of goods trade with the EU. I only know this because I checked it a few months ago for another UK thread. I can't remember what I assumed before that but it probably wasn't accurate. You hugely overestimated its overall ranking.

My point is simply that reasonably interested and informed people wouldn't necessarily understand how Dover fits into the picture even if they recognise that, in general, it's pretty important. So it's not like aeroplane wings!

In reply to Postmanpat:

The first thing I'd advise you to do, Nick, in this very serious situation, is to stop smirking. It doesn't help your 'cause'.

Postmanpat 24 Jul 2019

> The first thing I'd advise you to do, Nick, in this very serious situation, is to stop smirking. It doesn't help your 'cause'.

I’m not smirking. That’s in your head. Ive consistently been anti Boris for years and doubt he’ll succeed in reaching a deal.

I’m sick to death of so many remainers  reducing important issues to a competition to produce (or more likely copy) the latest childish line in smear and abuse. Occasionally they deserve to be called out.

ps. That’s not aimed at you.

Coel Hellier 24 Jul 2019

> I wish most Brexiters could realise that most Remainers are very anxious and very angry about this completely unnecessary total f*ck-up.

That's hardly news.  Most Remainers have been very anxious and very angry ever since the referendum.  There's probably no-one in the UK who doesn't realise that.

> He's not the PM yet, just the leader of the conservatives.... if press reports are right, it could remain this way if he can't demonstrate confidence of the house

It doesn't seem like he is trying too hard to assemble a commons majority.

Theresa May locked down Brexiteers with cabinet positions so she could rely on their votes and even so didn't always get a majority.   Boris has given all the cabinet positions to his mates who would have voted with him anyway.

HansStuttgart 24 Jul 2019

> I wish most Brexiters could realise that most Remainers are very anxious and very angry about this completely unnecessary total f*ck-up.

They (the remainers) might well be, but they closed off all options of de-escalation (by voting against the WA) and it is now necessary. Because too many leavers think that the fact that they don't like the WA has to do with May as opposed to structural issues.

Now there are two options left:

Johnson goes in hard against the EU, fails, and leavers accept that brexit is fundamentally flawed. -> UK stays in the EU. Very unlikely.....

Johnson goes in hard against the EU, fails, and leavers do not accept that brexit is fundamentally flawed. -> GE with CON on no-deal, Brexit party sidelined, LibDem on pro-EU, Labour probably ignoring brexit and arguing about 2016 themes such as austerity. Likely....

So the People's Vote campaign is probably going to get their wish of a final say, just not in the way they wanted and with much much higher stakes and a randomizing voting system.

All brexit stuff always reminds me of a piece by Mark Twight: "This is what you want, this is what you get."

PS: sorry for the pessimism.

In reply to HansStuttgart:

Thanks for your very wise reply. I suspect you are correct on all counts.

‘2016 themes’

If only. I suspect Corbyn will be arguing about 1970’s themes.

jcm

Or, 1830s themes.  youtube.com/watch?v=oV-P7WMt2c4&

pasbury 24 Jul 2019

I agree that all roads seem to lead to a no confidence vote and a GE. The only way this won’t happen is if Boris and his band of hardliners manage to negotiate a new deal that parliament vote for. What could that possibly look like? The current deal without a backstop? The EU won’t accept that because of it’s obligations re the Good Friday Agreement. Somehow accept a new border arrangement in Ireland?  that has been thoroughly explored and rejected. Start negotiations from scratch? May’s stupid red lines, which I assume will be the minimum starting position for this new lot, will lead us back to the same place.

Parliamentary factions deciding to accept the backstop? That’s the only way I see it happening, with some Boris confected sweetener to take effect during or after the transition period as a bribe. But don’t be in any doubt - that is just kicking the can down the road again.

A general election will be the most uncertain, dirtily fought shitfest. The result absolutely unpredictable. The possible coalitions impossible to second guess.

The boil seems intractable to lancing by any method.

Post edited at 23:52
XXXX 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> No, as of 2017 it was the 9th biggest port, but it's the busiest RORO port and accounts for about 20% of goods trade with the EU. I only know this because I checked it a few months ago for another UK thread. I can't remember what I assumed before that but it probably wasn't accurate. You hugely overestimated its overall ranking.

Dover port and Eurotunnel combined would be the third biggest UK port by freight tonnage. And not so far off 2nd. I know Eurotunnel isn't Dover, but it's pretty misleading to ignore it's impact, so Gordon's instincts weren't far off if you ask me.

Post edited at 07:13
 MG 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> > 

>   I’m not smirking. That’s in your head

"... the only small pleasure I get is watching the UKC coven go into meltdown." 

MonkeyPuzzle 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> "The boiler-plate libel: that critics of Brexit are against their own country. They are a fifth column, working against the interests of the nation. "

> >>

> Not one the remainers would ever use then.

Some Remain supporters think that a few of the main proponents of Brexit aim to profit from the economic chaos likely following a no-deal vs. the new PM saying that literally anyone who disagrees with Brexit is "betting against Britain". I'm sorry but your equivalence has a hole in it.

wercat 25 Jul 2019

I just remembered that these Bastards aren't just getting Britain out but that they and all their supporters, including those on this forum, are revelling in stripping me of rights I have held dear for 45 years. 

They have achieved this through lies lies and lies and the chief advisor told the biggest lies about Turkish Invasions and taking back control.

God I wish I could be alone with him

Why is the damage to our Island community worth it to lose so much?  Tell me someone.

Perhaps somthing of the ilk of thomasdixon could come out of the slime and tell me why he wants me to lose it all

Post edited at 08:05
 wercat 25 Jul 2019

time something was done about it

Yanis Nayu 25 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

The cabinet re-shuffle is like when Dolores Umbridge took over at Hogwarts. Scary times. 

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Pigs do fly. For once I agree with PP. The whole thing about Raab’s Channel comment is just a silly distraction. Those who make a big deal about this are doing no service to themselves.

I am more worried about the long list of deliberate porky pies his buffon boss is feeding us and the particularly awful range of anti-liberal and extremists personalities in his cabinet.

In particular Priti Patel, someone who is one the key supporter of the hostile environment, and someone who has consistently voted against the right of EU national to remain in the UK.

Post edited at 08:55
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

'The whole thing about Raab’s Channel comment is just a silly distraction. '

Sorry I  disagree. One of the Brexiter's main arguments was how we would be able to overcome obstacles;  that if, say, Calais was uncooperative or Dover couldn't cope with additional border controls, then cross channel traffic could be re-routed, more or less by snapping our fingers. I remember IDS saying exactly that; he was immediately contradicted by the Manager of the Port of Rotterdam, and  it showed such a breathtaking insouciance, ignorance of existing infrastructure and ignorance of the sheer volume that used the existing routes that it defied imagination.

Yet even after the point had been contested, it was still part of the toolkit that Raab brought with him in his short lived tenure; he hadn't even been listening to  Today, and the practicalities of much of Brexit - that he was supposed to be responsible for - had entirely passed him by. I imagine they still do, but it won't matter because we will be 'taking back control.'

wercat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

She is a prize shit.   Someone who has Directly threatened my wife's right to remain, now Home Secretary.  So I have an enemy of the family ensconced there.  A threat to our wellbeing and someone with origins outside the EU who is plotting and working to put us out of the EU.   Can you imagine the hostility I feel?

Come on Thomas, defend the iniquity barrack roomly!

Post edited at 09:24
 stevieb 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

It's fairly obvious that this cabinet as a total anathema to the leftie remainers on here. I'm more interested in whether Tories and brexiters actually rate it. Does this look like a talented and trustworthy cabinet? Or is a brexiter-packed cabinet a necessity, even if the talent isn't there?

Grant Shapps and Julian Smith must be an improvement on Grayling and Bradley. Ben Wallace came across well the only time I saw him, though I also rated Morduant.

But is a cabinet of Raab, Patel, Williamson, Truss, Leadsom, Kwarteng, McVey really the best we can do?

Rog Wilko 25 Jul 2019

One of my all-time favourite village names. Could be the start of an amusing thread to take our minds off what's happening to our world.

Bob Hughes 25 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

He's preparing for an election. He's decided he'll win as many votes from the Brexit party as he will lose to the Lib Dems. Hence an almost all-brexit cabinet and the pledge to support no deal. And, critically, the appointment of Dominic Cummings who is, more than anything, a campaigner. 

Postmanpat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> It's fairly obvious that this cabinet as a total anathema to the leftie remainers on here. I'm more interested in whether Tories and brexiters actually rate it.

>

Well I don't rate it and unless it succeeds it will likely be the end of the Tory party. Boris is placing all his chips on one spin of the wheel. It's probably all he could do given the need to reassert cabinet responsibility.

My only caveat is that we generally see all politicians mainly through the prism of a biased media (both for and against) so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Post edited at 09:46
 Rog Wilko 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> But is a cabinet of Raab, Patel, Williamson, Truss, Leadsom, Kwarteng, McVey really the best we can do?

Sad isn't it? But people are still taken in by Tory claptrap.

climbingpixie 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

I'm a leftie remainer so probably not allowed to respond but I'm genuinely quite sad to see Gove move on from environment and be replaced by Theresa Villiers. I don't know much about her (apart from her voting record, which doesn't look great on the face of it) and maybe she'll be a good appointment but I had a lot of respect for Gove in his role at Defra, he seemed like a minister who knew and cared about his brief.

Post edited at 09:50
pasbury 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On that topic this is a very incisive piece by Fintan O'Toole:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/25/boris-johnson-bluffin...

"Insofar as he has a strategy, Johnson’s plan is all based on the power of a lie, or to use the polite term, a bluff. The bluff is a no-deal Brexit. The basic belief of Johnson and those around him is that the way to get a great deal out of the EU is to pretend that you are quite happy to crash out without one. But bluffing only works if you do not already have a reputation as one of the world’s biggest bluffers. In this poker game, Johnson doesn’t have a tell. He is the tell. To put him into No 10 is to erect a neon sign over Downing Street that says: “Don’t believe a word of it.” The knowingness that Johnson has exploited to such great effect works within a circle of collusion. Outside the circle, knowingness is just plain old knowledge. Everybody knows that Johnson is the lying captain of a very leaky boat. Nobody in Europe is about to climb aboard."

"It works because, with Brexit, a lot of people want to be lied to"

Andy Hardy 25 Jul 2019
In reply to XXXX:

As a further complication, the Dover link is favoured for time critical transport - so disruption there will have a disproportionately large effect on supplies of fresh foodstuffs or JIT supply chains.

Brexit is going to be complicated, who knew?

wercat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

my dislike is not based on being a leftie but on a hatred of lies being used by powerful people to destroy the politics of reasonable honesty and to remove what I foolishly thought of as "rights" for myself and my wife.  Hostility does not begin to describe how I feel about these turds

pasbury 25 Jul 2019

Through gritted teeth I find myself agreeing. He was engaged with the job and a doer.

But he and Boris had form. Not sure what Gove's new job actually entails.

deepsoup 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> In particular Priti Patel, someone who is one the key supporter of the hostile environment, and someone who has consistently voted against the right of EU national to remain in the UK.

And a disgraced former International Development Minister. 

Like Liam Fox she wasn't sacked from her previous ministerial position over some trivial disagreement with the PM of the day, she was sacked for breaching our national security whilst dealing with a foreign government.  Like Liam Fox she should not have just resigned from the cabinet to mooch about on the back benches waiting for another plum job to come along, she should have been out of the house of commons altogether (and possibly even in prison).

wercat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

other politicians in other countries at other times have not been too fussy about people's good character or integrity in staffing their praetorian guard after assuming power (there's a reference Borubbish should like)

btw did anyone notice the emphasis on the slightly prolonged and emphasised word "Mee" when he told us how he had been invited to form a government by the unfortunate Queen?

"Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed captain of school for next half). I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

Post edited at 10:21
 John2 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

'Well I don't rate it and unless it succeeds it will likely be the end of the Tory party'

I don't rate it either, but do you really think it will be the end of the Tory party? To be replaced by what? Farage?

David Riley 25 Jul 2019

>  I'd quite like to go back to people not hating each other, to the Tories being bastards  and Labour being the good guys.

jkarran 25 Jul 2019
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It doesn't seem like he is trying too hard to assemble a commons majority.

No, it looks more like he's staking claim to Farage's territory ready for the inevitable failure of his brexit 'plan', the clash with parliament then an election fought on a right-wing populist footing.

RIP the Conservative Party 24/07/19. Never thought I'd have mixed feelings about that.

Johnson has deliberately shut down all of his options to call the EU's bluff. That'll almost certainly fail so we're just waiting now to play Russian roulette with an absurd electoral system tuned to return balanced results across a completely different ideological divide.

His alternative route out of this corner without an election if he is forced to climb down is the mother of all dead cad distractions: war. One which does not necessarily require the approval of parliament until we are well beyond the point of no return, one which America is already champing at the bit for us fight as their proxy.

jk

Postmanpat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to John2:

> 'Well I don't rate it and unless it succeeds it will likely be the end of the Tory party'

> I don't rate it either, but do you really think it will be the end of the Tory party? To be replaced by what? Farage?

I don't think it will be "replaced". It will split. So you'll have Tory "moderates", Tory "right", and the Farage party. There may be temporary alliances but I don't see how the three groups reconcile.

Obviously Labour may split as well but it's hunger for power may hold it together in order to exploit Tory disarray.

In reply to David Riley:

Disliking and disagreeing with politicians is acceptable, hating other people because of who they voted for is not. The Tories have admitted themselves that they're seen as the 'nasty party'. And you missed off my bit where I said they were fundamentally competent.

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

>    My only caveat is that we generally see all politicians mainly through the prism of a biased media (both for and against) so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

In case you haven’t noticed, outside of your bubble, the pudding has already been served and it’s rotten. But of course not your problem as long as you are not the one who’s having to eat it. But time will come. And then you’ll have only your complacency to blame.

Post edited at 10:19
 John2 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Are they really that stupid? Look at Douglas Carswell and Change UK.

I know that Brexit is currently creating incredible dissent, but surely once Boris's spin of the roulette wheel has failed he'll be booted out and a substantial core will reassemble around someone more sensible. Don't ask me who, but 'someone more sensible' is hardly limiting the field.

Postmanpat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Through gritted teeth I find myself agreeing. He was engaged with the job and a doer.

> But he and Boris had form. Not sure what Gove's new job actually entails.

Portillo's analysis is that Gove will be the "doer" in terms of trying to make things happen over brexit. I suppose that leave's Boris to do the PR.

MonkeyPuzzle 25 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Can... Can you stop posting for a little while please? I mean no offence but you keep on making horrible predictions, previously not to have entered my thoughts, which suddenly ring upsettingly true. Just tell me everything's going to be okay.

jkarran 25 Jul 2019

Sorry. Like most people I'm usually wrong, I take some comfort in that as a pessimist.

jk

David Riley 25 Jul 2019

I don't  really get the hate thing.  It seems to come down to deciding one side is all bad, "bastards" and the other all good "the good guys",  (one view obviously right, and another completely insane).  Maybe the hatred has evolved as a mechanism to improve survival by ensuring absolute decisions are made.  We should leave it behind.

Mike Stretford 25 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

>> Or is it my last comment, are people actually expecting Lib dems or greens to win seat where they currently have no real presence?

> I find the sense of entitlement in it alarming, and exasperating. We owe Labour nothing, if you want our votes and trust back they're going to be very hard won. 

There is no sense of entitlement in what I said. It's a simple question of what to do in a seat where the only alternative to a Tory/Brexit party is a Labour candidate.

The Labour party is deeply split on several issue and I've no idea how this will all turn out.... it's ridiculous to talk to us like we are one unified collective. I'm still a member because I support my local mp and local party (Labour is geographically split too). If the Labour party collapses the alternative ion my area is a Tory council who did a lot of damage last time. My MP Kate Green is a good campaigning MP and the country would be worse off without her in parliament. I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water.

A groundswell of lefty remainers could have easily influenced Labour party policy, but they choose the emotive option. Every remainer who left, or refused to join, has done their bit to secure Corbyn's position.

>> Another truth you might not like......Boris has Dominic Cummings on board. Much as I dislike the bloke, he will forensically study the very varied constituencies we have. Where too many remainers are relying on outdated assumptions, he'll have an up to date plan. 

> Perhaps it's time Corbyn did too then.

Damn right... but that's no excuse for others who should know better.

Post edited at 10:46
 Postmanpat 25 Jul 2019

I gather Alastair Campbell has tweeted that Seamus Milne is so incompetent that he must be a Libdem plant

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> I don't  really get the hate thing.  It seems to come down to deciding one side is all bad, "bastards" and the other all good "the good guys",  (one view obviously right, and another completely insane).  

Did you consider the possibility that some views might indeed be insane ?

Certainly, looking at the politics of today, I can’t help but noticing that we have gone completely bonkers.

stevieb 25 Jul 2019

> I'm a leftie remainer so probably not allowed to respond but I'm genuinely quite sad to see Gove move on from environment and be replaced by Theresa Villiers. 

Whether you agree with him or not, it’s clear that Gove is very capable and is willing to challenge entrenched interests. I thought he was terrible in education where he had preconceived ideas, and he demoralised the whole profession. But in justice and environment he has appeared more open-minded and still has the strength of mind to make a difference. 

Dave Garnett 25 Jul 2019

> I'm a leftie remainer so probably not allowed to respond but I'm genuinely quite sad to see Gove move on from environment and be replaced by Theresa Villiers.

Me too, I don't see anything good in Villiers' record.  With the possible exceptions of Amber Rudd and Nicky Morgan, it's quite difficult to think of a more unpleasant B-Ark group of right-wing head-bangers than this cabinet.  Nick Boles, not exactly a Marxist himself, is openly saying that it's the end of the Conservative Party as we've known it since the war.    

I used to have some regard for Nick Hancock but his moral volte-face and blatant crawling since being eliminated from the leadership contest has been particularly nauseating. 

Post edited at 11:09
 David Riley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

So do you hate people for having insane views ?  Do you hate people for thinking your views are insane. When you think they are not ?

Moley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Gove in environment was not too bad, he did seem to listen and try to act. It always seems a pity that so many MPs (cabinet in any ruling party), once they have a handle on their post and are making a half decent job of it are shuffled off up the ladder to a "more important" post.

I fear that the environment post is looked upon as not that important - I have news for them, it may turn into a bit of a hot seat and someone very competent needs to be there.

Offwidth 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

Shapps may be less incompetant than Grayling but he has 'form'; see "other issues" in the link below (with apt irony on the self editing wikipedia accusations). Smith had the pairing scandal and a silly photo that technically could have put military personnel at risk. Wallace had expenses issues and childishly smeared Corbyn (something I suspect will come to be seem as tame in any imminent general election campaign). Oh, for some ministers with clean records....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps

I agree with others that Patel should probably have lost her right to be an MP over the secret Israel meetings scandal.. a very serious affair .... and its gobsmacking she is now home secretary. 

Frank4short 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> I don't  really get the hate thing.  <i>It seems to come down to deciding one side is all bad, "bastards" and the other all good "the good guys",  (one view obviously right, and another completely insane). </i> Maybe the hatred has evolved as a mechanism to improve survival by ensuring absolute decisions are made.  We should leave it behind.

This is hilarious as you've almost completely summed up your entire posting history on the EU in less than a paragraph. Then lamented that it's happening elsewhere. 

jkarran 25 Jul 2019

> The Labour party is deeply split on several issue and I've no idea how this will all turn out.... it's ridiculous to talk to us like we are one unified collective.

I've no problem with you seeing and understanding the party in that way, hell I can cope with it too but it needs clear principled policies grounded in the reality it faces. It needs inspiring and honest leadership the party can get behind to propel forward if it is to win an election. These are sorely lacking while the leadership buries its head in the sand over brexit policy. I'm not voting for the Labour party to spend more years tearing itself apart trying to deliver their version of a moribund policy the tories ended up lumbered with by accident.

> I'm still a member because I support my local mp and local party (Labour is geographically split too). If the Labour party collapses the alternative ion my area is a Tory council who did a lot of damage last time. My MP Kate Green is a good campaigning MP and the country would be worse off without her in parliament. I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Mine too but I can't support her as a representative of the Labour party until they take a clear, deliverable and principled stand on brexit. I'd rather use my vote to chip away at the idea small parties with good ideas can't win seats.

> A groundswell of lefty remainers could have easily influenced Labour party policy, but they choose the emotive option. Every remainer who left, or refused to join, has done their bit to secure Corbyn's position.

What on earth do you think 2017 was?

jk

Post edited at 11:54
 David Riley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Frank4short:

?

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> So do you hate people for having insane views ?  

No, I don’t mind people who have insane views, that is, only as long as they are no trying to harm me or reduce my freedoms or that of the people I care about.

The problem is that they do.

David Riley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

So you hate the people that outvoted you ?

Andy Hardy 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> So you hate the people that outvoted you ?

I'd say I loathe the ones who persuaded them to vote to harm me, and curtail my rights (as well as doing the same to themselves, surely that is madness?)

pasbury 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

Change the f*cking record!!

David Riley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

You are confirming my analysis.  Making things absolute. God on one side, the devil on the other. But then blaming witches and evil people for leading the majority innocents astray.  Burn the witches.  

We need to stop these urges.

Andy Hardy 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

The vote was binary, there was no option to offer a nuanced opinion

The result will leave us poorer, weaker, worse connected, less secure. The result was bought with cheap lies and glib soundbites. Those who brought about the result by those means deserve my loathing. Until there is a scrap of evidence that life will be better outside the EU, and crucially, can only be better as a result of being outside the EU my loathing for them will not diminish

Edit the only urge I have is to resist a monumental act of self harm, and I have no intention of resisting that

Post edited at 12:30
 David Riley 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Maybe we have not yet advanced beyond our programming, and the 52% still needs to kill the 48% to carry on ?

wercat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

or be killed?

In reply to David Riley:

Sometimes countries have collective nervous breakdowns. Italy in the 20s, Germany in the 30s (Nazis had more of a democratic mandate than this lot, don't forget), the US in the 50s (and of course now...)

I never believed that we were immune to that sort of madness, I'm just sorry I've lived to see it. 

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I'd say I loathe the ones who persuaded them to vote to harm me, and curtail my rights (as well as doing the same to themselves, surely that is madness?)

Sure, but we can’t only blame those who convinced them. At the end of the day anybody who voted for Brexit - unless they are really clueless in which case they are excused - did so knowing very well that it would strip people of their freedom of movement, would cause massive uncertainty and problems for EU citizens in the UK, not to mention economic damage.

They have a responsibility, and I fully reserve the right to dislike people who want to harm me and those I care about.

It’s not about « opinions » I really don’t dislike anybody for their opinions, I just dislike people who want to cause to me harm. That’s a very human and in fact very indispensable survival mechanism.

Pete Pozman 25 Jul 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> It's fairly obvious that this cabinet as a total anathema to the leftie remainers on here. I'm more interested in whether Tories and brexiters actually rate it. Does this look like a talented and trustworthy cabinet? Or is a brexiter-packed cabinet a necessity, even if the talent isn't there?

> Grant Shapps and Julian Smith must be an improvement on Grayling and Bradley. Ben Wallace came across well the only time I saw him, though I also rated Morduant.

> But is a cabinet of Raab, Patel, Williamson, Truss, Leadsom, Kwarteng, McVey really the best we can do?

What do you think Stevie? Being a leftie and a hard core Remainist I think they're an absolute shower of talentless shait. 

Post edited at 12:52
 Trevers 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> It’s not about « opinions » I really don’t dislike anybody for their opinions, I just dislike people who want to cause to me harm. That’s a very human and in fact very indispensable survival mechanism.

It's not a human reaction, it's an animal reaction. What makes us human is our ability to rise above our natural instinct and work to further society. We have out-evolved basic natural selection.

Your reaction may be a natural one, but that doesn't make it healthy to accommodate it. If you want to change the world, you need to change people's hearts and minds and you won't ever do that by seeing them as an enemy. If we do that, than any difference of opinion about the best way forward will inevitably lead to division and violence.

This coming from someone who's passionately anti-Brexit and who feels only contempt for Johnson et al...

Post edited at 12:57
 Andy Hardy 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> Maybe we have not yet advanced beyond our programming, and the 52% still needs to kill the 48% to carry on ?

Once you have sold off the NHS and demolished the welfare state and slashed food standards and made sure the shelves are empty following brexit, you'll be well on your way. There will be a bit of collateral damage though, for those whose daddy didn't run a newspaper or don't have the odd hedge fund behind the sofa

In reply to jkarran:

>> A groundswell of lefty remainers could have easily influenced Labour party policy, but they choose the emotive option. Every remainer who left, or refused to join, has done their bit to secure Corbyn's position.

> What on earth do you think 2017 was?

That was a better than expected result for a left wing party who's policy was to accept the referendum result.

I'm not talking about GEs, I'm talking about joining the party. That is the only way left wing remainers can influence the leadership, or change it. As I say, people have been leaving over Brexit and antisemitism, imaging it's a poke in the eye for the leadership.... it isn't, it just makes the task of for those of us who want to stay and see changes harder.

Pan Ron 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I'd say I loathe the ones who persuaded them to vote to harm me, and curtail my rights (as well as doing the same to themselves, surely that is madness?)

That's not really going to wash though is it. Brexiteers see the EU as curtailing their rights.  Having dealt with EU requirements in my employment I'm willing to see they might have a justified perspective.

stevieb 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> What do you think Stevie? Being a leftie and a hard core Remainist I think they're an absolute shower of talentless shait. 

As a centre-leftie and a remainer, I'm not well placed to judge.

I think that if we want a higher standard of politics, then it's more important to hold our own side to high standards, than to expect them of people we would never vote for.

Having said that, I think the new cabinet is a bit short of grown ups. We shouldn't vote for serial liars (Johnson), security risks (Johnson, Patel, Williamson) and incompetents (Grayling, Duncan-Smith). I also find a number of them to be frightening ideologues unable to deal with reality and compromise (Raab, McVey, Patel, Truss) but the left have plenty of those too.

jkarran 25 Jul 2019

> That was a better than expected result for a left wing party who's policy was to accept the referendum result.

If you genuinely believe that then 2019 could prove as surprising as 2017.

2017 was a tactical vote for an organised bloc of opposition to brexit, it was an investment of hope in a party professing to be listening. They didn't hear. They won't get the chance again, certainly not just two years on with no change in leadership.

> I'm not talking about GEs, I'm talking about joining the party. That is the only way left wing remainers can influence the leadership, or change it. As I say, people have been leaving over Brexit and antisemitism, imaging it's a poke in the eye for the leadership.... it isn't, it just makes the task of for those of us who want to stay and see changes harder.

Why would I join a party that isn't listening, that is held hostage by ideologues wilfully out of step with MPs, membership and voters on the key issue of our day?

jk

In reply to jkarran:

> 2017 was a tactical vote for an organised bloc of opposition to brexit, it was an investment of hope in a party professing to be listening. They didn't hear. They won't get the chance again, certainly not just two years on with no change in leadership.

Given the manefesto it's no surprise the leadership interpreted the result as they did.

> Why would I join a party that isn't listening, that is held hostage by ideologues wilfully out of step with MPs, membership and voters on the key issue of our day?

It's the only way you have any influence. As soon as MPs think the membership will vote for someone other than Corbyn, there will be a leadership election. As I say, a lefty remainer groundswell could have changed the leadership... probably too late now, I fear we are looking at years of Boris et al.

Post edited at 13:55
 jkarran 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

Which of your rights did the EU curtail?

jk

Andy Hardy 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> That's not really going to wash though is it. Brexiteers see the EU as curtailing their rights.  Having dealt with EU requirements in my employment I'm willing to see they might have a justified perspective.

Which rights are curtailed by the EU?

> I'm not talking about GEs, I'm talking about joining the party. That is the only way left wing remainers can influence the leadership, or change it. As I say, people have been leaving over Brexit and antisemitism, imaging it's a poke in the eye for the leadership.... it isn't, it just makes the task of for those of us who want to stay and see changes harder.

Being a Labour member doesn't seem to count much towards influencing policy. The majority of Labour's members support remain (86% in a poll last September) but instead of a strong policy position we got a convoluted composite motion that allowed Labour to hedge their bets. We got support for a second referendum but only for a damaging Tory Brexit, not for a glorious (and definitely not non-existent) Labour Brexit. And it's taken until a couple of weeks ago that they finally decided that if there was a second referendum they would campaign for remain. Who even knows what their Brexit position will be for the (surely) imminent general election?

Like Jkarran, I voted Labour in 2017 and I've spent 2 years having that fact thrown in my face, that I'm part of the 80-odd % of the electorate who voted for a Brexit-supporting party. Like many remainers, I saw Brexit as a mostly Tory project and felt that voting Labour was the best chance of stopping it. Clearly that was a mistake. But I also regret my vote as it legitimised Corbyn's leadership. I had high hopes when he took over, I really did. I was happy to see Labour promoting centre-left policies and presenting a real alternative to the Tories. But I think he's just too divisive within his party and across the electorate, and I think he's got too much baggage available to be chucked at him from across the benches. I would have much fewer worries about facing a snap autumn election with a remain supporting Labour party, fronted by a less divisive leader (Yvette Cooper perhaps?).

jkarran 25 Jul 2019

> Given the manefesto it's no surprise the leadership interpreted the result as they did.

As I said: not listening.

> It's the only way you have any influence. As soon as MPs think the membership will vote for someone other than Corbyn, there will be a leadership election. As I say, a lefty remainer groundswell could have changed the leadership... probably too late now, I fear we are looking at years of Boris et al.

No it's not the only way. It's the only way if you're wedded to the failed two party system and unable to cross the gulf that has opened between Labour and Conservative parties. Thanks in large part to Corbyn's cloth ear over brexit that isn't the political landscape of 2019. Today I could join, campaign and vote for another party that fits with my outlook already, one that is listening and leading on key issues rather than hiding from them. I could expect my investment to yield at least a modest return and could hope in a shattered parliament for my chosen party to actually shape policy in coalition.

jk

Post edited at 14:16

> Being a Labour member doesn't seem to count much towards influencing policy. 

You get a vote in the all important leadership election. You are right Corbyn is not listening. MPs will only call a leadership election when they think they will win. 

>I would have much fewer worries about facing a snap autumn election with a remain supporting Labour party, fronted by a less divisive leader (Yvette Cooper perhaps?).

I agree. Labour would still have Brexit woes, and a sizeable minority of pro-leave rebels, but it would be a more effective opposition. 

In reply to jkarran:

> As I said: not listening.

> No it's not the only way. It's the only way if you're wedded to the failed two party system and unable to cross the gulf that has opened between Labour and Conservative parties.

That's not me, I've explained why I'm sticking with Labour further up, yet you still throw that accusation at me.

> Today I could join, campaign and vote for another party that fits with my outlook already, one that is listening and leading on key issues rather than hiding from them. I could expect my investment to yield at least a modest return and could hope in a shattered parliament for my chosen party to actually shape policy in coalition.

Have you done that?

'but it would be a more effective opposition. '

Christ, what a rallying call.

I'm resigning tonight.

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> That's not really going to wash though is it. Brexiteers see the EU as curtailing their rights.  Having dealt with EU requirements in my employment I'm willing to see they might have a justified perspective.

Which of your rights were curtailed by the EU ?

Is the Corbynite faction within the membership still really strong? Has there been much polling of the members? I had wondered why on earth Labour MPs weren't prepared to launch another leadership challenge, despite it appearing obvious to onlookers that JC is an electoral liability.

MonkeyPuzzle 25 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> As I said: not listening.

> No it's not the only way. It's the only way if you're wedded to the failed two party system and unable to cross the gulf that has opened between Labour and Conservative parties. Thanks in large part to Corbyn's cloth ear over brexit that isn't the political landscape of 2019. Today I could join, campaign and vote for another party that fits with my outlook already, one that is listening and leading on key issues rather than hiding from them. I could expect my investment to yield at least a modest return and could hope in a shattered parliament for my chosen party to actually shape policy in coalition.

With a heavy heart, that's where I find myself. For someone claiming to represent "The Many and Not The Few", Corbyn has in turn stopped listening to Labour voters (65%+ for Remain), then Labour members (anything up to 88% for Remain), and now only appears to listen to Seamus Milne. It's not just his mealy mouthed words on Brexit, it's the hypocrisy in claiming to be there at the service of the membership, that policy is determined by the membership, but then demonstrating that he means only when he agrees with them.

I'm fortunate to live in a constituency where the Greens stand a chance at the next election. Otherwise I'm sure who I could vote for. Possibly the Lib Dems but it would only be on the Brexit issue.

> Is the Corbynite faction within the membership still really strong? Has there been much polling of the members? I had wondered why on earth Labour MPs weren't prepared to launch another leadership challenge, despite it appearing obvious to onlookers that JC is an electoral liability.

It's hard to tell. MPs will have a good idea of were there own CLP is from meetings, there's always a motion at the meeting that gives a good idea. There's been no polling of members from the party.... that would be instigated by the leadership (see the problem). I think the MPs who want change are rightfully cautious of misreading the mood and loosing again.

> 'but it would be a more effective opposition. '

> Christ, what a rallying call.

What do you want Rob? I'm pretty down about the whole thing and I'm getting shit for opinions I've explained I don't hold. And I'm on crutches.

Yanis Nayu 25 Jul 2019

I can only consider voting LibDem or Greens. 

Johnson as PM and the cabinet he’s selected are just terrifying. 

Yes, sorry to give you a hard time … I haven't been very involved with the local party as they have been pretty hardcore JC fans since Day 1 and haven't really been interested in any alternatives; I never was impressed and an increasing number of friends are beginning to say, 'you know what you said about about JC … maybe you were right after all...' I wish I hadn't been.

Anyway, LibDems, here I come, ready or not!

jkarran 25 Jul 2019

> That's not me, I've explained why I'm sticking with Labour further up, yet you still throw that accusation at me.

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm saying you, I, we have options if the Labour party isn't working for us. To be honest I have some admiration for your loyalty.

> Have you done that?

On a party basis, besides carefully thinking through my vote each time with an open mind and a bit of leafleting, no. I'm torn over where my loyalties should lie to best achieve my vague and shifting goals, more of a pragmatist than you might take me for and cursed with an excess of doubt. Also and I imagine this will come as no surprise I'm not really a people person, it makes engaging in politics unappealing and occasionally counterproductive!

edit: Sorry to hear you're on crutches and please don't take my exasperation at the Labour 'leadership' as criticism of you, your affiliation or loyalty. I hope you get the leg and party fighting fit again soon but I can't help with either.

jk

Post edited at 14:55

> Anyway, LibDems, here I come, ready or not!

Good luck!

In reply to jkarran:

> On a party basis, besides carefully thinking through my vote each time with an open mind and a bit of leafleting, no. I'm torn over where my loyalties should lie to best achieve my vague and shifting goals, more of a pragmatist than you might take me for and cursed with an excess of doubt. Also and I imagine this will come as no surprise I'm not really a people person, it makes engaging in politics unappealing and occasionally counterproductive!

I would appeal to everyone centre and leftwards to engage with a party. I'm not a people person but I do leaflet, get a vote at constituency meetings, chat to my MP, feel involved ect. It's the loyalty to local activist that counts... I'd hate to be considered a fair weather friend. Unlike Rob most of my lot of of a similar mind to me. I wasn't great at expressing myself at first but I've got better, I now bide my tongue until I'm sure about what I'm going to say.

I think we are in there midst of a right wing victory, the only effective resistance will be large membership parties. Volunteers do make a difference, Farage admitted that about Peterborough.

> edit: Sorry to hear you're on crutches and please don't take my exasperation at the Labour 'leadership' as criticism of you, your affiliation or loyalty. I hope you get the leg and party fighting fit again soon but I can't help with either.

Cheers!

> I think we are in there midst of a right wing victory, the only effective resistance will be large membership parties.

Or electoral alliances, which unfortunately Labour don't seem to be keen on because they still think they could/should be big enough not to need any help. Unfortunately with forthcoming electoral boundary reform and the increased success of the SNP/Plaid I think Labour are going to find it harder and harder to gain an outright majority, and that's even without the current party divisions over Brexit.

FWIW I joined the Greens a bit ago. I trust them more than Labour on the environment (especially Labour led by people with a soft spot for heavy industry), they're unequivocally pro-remain and they're economically left wing. But I'd decide who to vote for at the next GE based on which anti-Brexit candidate I thought was more likely to beat Philip Davies.

Post edited at 15:29
 RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> It's not a human reaction, it's an animal reaction. What makes us human is our ability to rise above our natural instinct and work to further society. We have out-evolved basic natural selection.

> Your reaction may be a natural one, but that doesn't make it healthy to accommodate it. If you want to change the world, you need to change people's hearts and minds and you won't ever do that by seeing them as an enemy.

All very nice but very naive. If someone is coming at you with a gun, and you are too naive or complacent to realise that they are an ennemy who want to hurt you, then you won’t survive.

Post edited at 15:46

> Or electoral alliances, which unfortunately Labour don't seem to be keen on because they still think they could/should be big enough not to need any help. Unfortunately with forthcoming electoral boundary reform and the increased success of the SNP/Plaid I think Labour are going to find it harder and harder to gain an outright majority, and that's even without the current party divisions over Brexit.

And electoral alliances, I agree. Many in the party see the writing on the wall, but the leadership don't want to.  I agree with what others have said, lots of remainers lent their vote to Labour in 17......but the current leadership will never see it that way. If there is an election you'll see Labour MPs make alliances in all sorts of directions, I cant's see were this will all end.

It's not just Labour corbynistas though, I know centrists who are still waiting for a return of all conquering New Labour. I keep telling them it's not going to happen, and to join the Lib Dems.

Post edited at 15:54
 Rog Wilko 25 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> On that topic this is a very incisive piece by Fintan O'Toole:

Yes, Fintan O'Toole is one of the most astute commentators around.

baron 25 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> On that topic this is a very incisive piece by Fintan O'Toole:

> "Insofar as he has a strategy, Johnson’s plan is all based on the power of a lie, or to use the polite term, a bluff. The bluff is a no-deal Brexit. The basic belief of Johnson and those around him is that the way to get a great deal out of the EU is to pretend that you are quite happy to crash out without one. But bluffing only works if you do not already have a reputation as one of the world’s biggest bluffers. In this poker game, Johnson doesn’t have a tell. He is the tell. To put him into No 10 is to erect a neon sign over Downing Street that says: “Don’t believe a word of it.” The knowingness that Johnson has exploited to such great effect works within a circle of collusion. Outside the circle, knowingness is just plain old knowledge. Everybody knows that Johnson is the lying captain of a very leaky boat. Nobody in Europe is about to climb aboard."

> "It works because, with Brexit, a lot of people want to be lied to"

He’s not that incisive if he believes that a lot of people want to be lied to.

Pefa 25 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

The truth is that If you vote for anyone other than Labour then you are indirectly voting Tory as they will get in, it's always been the same and always will be. 

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Yes, FPTP is very undemocratic. I don’t see many ways around that but to keep voting for parties that want to get rid of it, ie Lib Dem in England, or for the SNP if you live in Scotland, as they want to get rid of Westminster and solves the problem.

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019

> Or electoral alliances, which unfortunately Labour don't seem to be keen on because they still think they could/should be big enough not to need any help. Unfortunately with forthcoming electoral boundary reform and the increased success of the SNP/Plaid I think Labour are going to find it harder and harder to gain an outright majority, and that's even without the current party divisions over Brexit.

> FWIW I joined the Greens a bit ago. I trust them more than Labour on the environment (especially Labour led by people with a soft spot for heavy industry), they're unequivocally pro-remain and they're economically left wing. But I'd decide who to vote for at the next GE based on which anti-Brexit candidate I thought was more likely to beat Philip Davies.

I do like Caroline Lucas, the Greens are too left wing for me on the economy however they are one of the rare party in the UK who actually have articulated, logical solutions. They may be imperfect but at least it’s better than the “believe in Britain” jingoistic platitudes of the Tories, and the “kill the rich” platitudes of Labour.

Bob Kemp 25 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> He’s not that incisive if he believes that a lot of people want to be lied to.

There seem to be plenty of examples of people believing what fits in with their world-view, regardless of the truth. I'd suggest they want to be lied to.

Post edited at 16:52
 Bob Kemp 25 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Interesting points from Neal Lawson of Compass:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/how-to-respond-to-boris-jo...

"Take five to be angry, appalled, apoplectic even. Go to the Fck Boris event organised by community activists this evening. It’s a necessary but far from sufficient response. "

We're at the 'take five...' stage here, and as people have pointed out above it's not always helpful. There are some suggestions here that might appeal, in line with some of the previous comments here and in other threads.

"The key is to see him as a symptom of the deep crises we face and the loss of trust and faith in the political system to meet those challenges. Fundamentally, it’s about the structure and culture of our democracy and its ability to help deliver a good society – or not. ."

Trevers 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> All very nice but very naive. If someone is coming at you with a gun, and you are too naive or complacent to realise that they are an enemy who want to hurt you, then you won’t survive.

I'm afraid I can't see the relevance of that analogy to Brexit.

In reply to Pefa:

> The truth is that If you vote for anyone other than Labour then you are indirectly voting Tory as they will get in, it's always been the same and always will be. 

Unfortunately, Labour hasn't won an election as a socialist party for 45 years.

RomTheBear 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> I'm afraid I can't see the relevance of that analogy to Brexit.

The relevance is, if some people are coming at you to take something away from you that is dear, such as,  for example, your freedom of movement, or your right to live in your own home, then it is perfectly reasonable to dislike them, and to fight back.

In a nutshell, I don’t dislike anybody who has a different opinion, I just dislike people who try to fuck with the lives of my friends and family.

Post edited at 17:32
 Pefa 25 Jul 2019

> Unfortunately, Labour hasn't won an election as a socialist party for 45 years.

Labour never were a socialist party in fact they have been as much an enemy to real socialism as the Tories but that's another debate. 

runestone 25 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Madness - if you care about the country & the Union , peace, financial security, our environment, health & social services, fairness for all, Britain's position in the World and our younger generation now is the time to be active to stop Brexit / have a people's vote before it is too late. Help in local pro EU groups, support pro EU parties, write to your MPS.   

Bob Kemp 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

To say Labour never were a socialist party is merely a contention, not a fact. As usual though socialist/ not socialist is not an easy distinction,. and it's long been disputed Here's one point of view:

https://www.newstatesman.com/2016/09/labour-socialist

And here's another:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/labour-is-not-a-socialist-party

BTW, 'real socialism' is also problematic... 

baron 25 Jul 2019
In reply to runestone:

> Madness - if you care about the country & the Union , peace, financial security, our environment, health & social services, fairness for all, Britain's position in the World and our younger generation now is the time to be active to stop Brexit / have a people's vote before it is too late. Help in local pro EU groups, support pro EU parties, write to your MPS.   

Didn’t do the remain cause much good last time, did it?

wercat 25 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

summed it up exactly

> The relevance is, if some people are coming at you to take something away from you that is dear, such as,  for example, your freedom of movement, or your right to live in your own home, then it is perfectly reasonable to dislike them, and to fight back.

> In a nutshell, I don’t dislike anybody who has a different opinion, I just dislike people who try to f*ck with the lives of my friends and family.

pasbury 25 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> He’s not that incisive if he believes that a lot of people want to be lied to.

On that we profoundly disagree. Even a large part of the parliamentary Conservative party seem to want to be lied to. They’re lapping it up.

pasbury 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> The truth is that If you vote for anyone other than Labour then you are indirectly voting Tory as they will get in, it's always been the same and always will be. 

You’re more reactionary than most Tories. Labour are dead at the moment, unless they modernise, the Corbyn party has become the left wing equivalent of the ERG.

Post edited at 19:36
In reply to baron:

> Didn’t do the remain cause much good last time, did it?

Doesn't mean we should give up though, stop being such a doomster. I've heard that with some confidence and a can do attitude you can achieve anything, even being the prime minister.

baron 25 Jul 2019

> Doesn't mean we should give up though, stop being such a doomster. I've heard that with some confidence and a can do attitude you can achieve anything, even being the prime minister.

As pasbury said ‘ everybody likes to be lied to’.  

pasbury 25 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> As pasbury said ‘ everybody likes to be lied to’.  

I never said everybody likes to be lied to.

In fact I was only quoting a columnist (Fintan O’Toole), he suggested that there was an appetite for lies. I agree with him.

baron 25 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Sorry, you’re right ‘a lot of people want to be lied to’ was the quote you actually used.

Pefa 25 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> You’re more reactionary than most Tories. Labour are dead at the moment, unless they modernise, the Corbyn party has become the left wing equivalent of the ERG.

If what you say were true then JCs Labour would be miles behind in the polls, but they are ahead so that makes you wrong on all counts and you could not get anyone less reactionary then me.

I think what happened is that you got a bit flustered when I posted some truth about not voting Labour means helping the Tories get into No10, which it does.

Oh and having 7 likes doesn't make you right it just makes those who liked your comment wrong also. 

Post edited at 23:25
In reply to Pefa:

Have you seen the recent polls of both electorate and Labour Party members into Corbyn's popularity...?

Bob Kemp 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Which poll are you referring to? Post-Johnson I've only seen the YouGov poll - 

"The first YouGov/Times voting intention survey since Boris Johnson won the Conservative leadership contest sees his party continue to hold 25% of the vote. The Lib Dems are in second on 23% (from 20% last week) and Labour in third on 19% (from 21%). The Brexit Party hold 17% of the vote (from 19% last week) and the Greens are on 9% (from 8%)."

I think you may be referring to the pre-Johnson polling. 

fred99 25 Jul 2019
In reply to David Riley:

> Maybe we have not yet advanced beyond our programming, and the 52% still needs to kill the 48% to carry on ?

I'm absolutely certain that the ONLY reason that Brexiteers (such as yourself) are so rabidly against any possible form of vote to confirm (or otherwise) either a deal, no deal or remain is because you are nowhere near 52% any more - not now that so many non-voters have woken up, and so many others have realised that they were conned into voting leave.

If there was some form of war, then Brexiteers (and you) would be heavily in the minority - and that would lead to your extermination, which some might regard as just deserts for the grief and aggravation that has been perpetrated.

Pefa 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Yes I never knew there was one since yesterday but before that Labour were on 29 % and Tories on 23 % after Labour said they would back a second referendum.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/new-poll-puts-labour-six-points-...

Either way to equate JCs Labour with the ERG is ridiculous. 

pasbury 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> If what you say were true then JCs Labour would be miles behind in the polls, but they are ahead so that makes you wrong on all counts and you could not get anyone less reactionary then me.

They should be miles ahead, on a centre left agenda with a few radical ideas chucked in, a new green deal for example. They aren’t, instead enmired in anti-semitism accusations, churning out the same ‘for the many not the few’ catchphrase, Corbyn seemingly shackled by dinosaur advisers like Mkclusky and Milne. Don’t get me wrong I desperately want to vote for a party like Labour. But they need to up their game, you’ve got Dominic Cummings in No 10 now, he’s one cunning operator and will run rings around JC and his gang. I don’t want that.

> I think what happened is that you got a bit flustered when I posted some truth about not voting Labour means helping the Tories get into No10, which it does.

That is clearly not true as we now have four parties on about level pegging. Individual constituencies would go in unpredictable ways if there were a GE tomorrow. Bristol west might well elect a green MP, the Lib Dem’s have a lot of dormant support to add to their new momentum. Labour have everything to lose.

> Oh and having 7 likes doesn't make you right it just makes those who liked your comment wrong also. 

Whatever.

pasbury 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Either way to equate JCs Labour with the ERG is ridiculous. 

It’s a party within a party, a tail wagging the dog. Same thing. Bad thing.

Pefa 26 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> It’s a party within a party, a tail wagging the dog. Same thing. Bad thing.

No, JC was voted as leader by a massive majority of party members. That's a majority not a minority. 

The anti- semitism accusations are a blatant smear campaign which Chomsky points out. And Labour's stakeholders are the Trade Unions that represent 6 million workers so you only want employers represented? 

HansStuttgart 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Either way to equate JCs Labour with the ERG is ridiculous. 

Indeed, the ERG is effective in power politics.

climbingpixie 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> No, JC was voted as leader by a massive majority of party members. That's a majority not a minority. 

He got a smaller majority than Johnson did, though admittedly of a larger electorate. But the Labour membership is not the same as the Labour electorate, or as the floating voters who need to be won over if you want to win an election. 

And yeah Survation may have Labour fairly high but other polls have then much lower - they're pretty transient and have their own biases so we shouldn't take a single one too seriously. The tracker below is quite useful for seeing a consolidated view. Do you really think thar Labour only just leading after 9 years in opposition, during a political crisis and against one of the most divisive and divided Tory parties in decades is a success for Corbyn?

https://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

Duncan Bourne 26 Jul 2019

My prediction is that Johnson would win in a general election. For the simple reason he knows what he wants (therefore can give the appearance of acting decisively). I think at this stage people just want something done and the constant sitting on the fence is wearing on the electorate. It doesn't matter if Boris is right or not Corbyn has been portrayed as a ditherer and that will be damaging

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to fred99:

Us leavers don’t want a second referendum because, for us, there’s nothing to gain but everything to lose from one.

whereas remainers have nothing to lose, having lost already, but everything to gain.

This is why you only hear remainers demanding a second referendum.

RomTheBear 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> My prediction is that Johnson would win in a general election. For the simple reason he knows what he wants (therefore can give the appearance of acting decisively). I think at this stage people just want something done and the constant sitting on the fence is wearing on the electorate. It doesn't matter if Boris is right or not Corbyn has been portrayed as a ditherer and that will be damaging

I agree. The arithmetic are clear, if he gets back Brexit party voters, pretty easy to do as he just needs to effectively commit to a no-deal Brexit in the manifesto, then FPTP pretty much guarantees him a win.

Even if a clear majority of the country doesn’t want him in power, which is likely, that’s not going to matter much.

So here you have it, the beauty of the Westminster system, a system in which someone can get in power even if that’s not what the majority wants.

Post edited at 09:40
 jkarran 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> My prediction is that Johnson would win in a general election. For the simple reason he knows what he wants (therefore can give the appearance of acting decisively). I think at this stage people just want something done and the constant sitting on the fence is wearing on the electorate.

I think you're right. I'm wondering with Patel in the home office how long now before hanging is seriously back on the policy agenda, it ticks all the boxes: populist appeal, tweaking Europe's nose, demonstrating the 'benefit' of independence. They've clearly given up any pretence of appealing to a broader swathe of middle England, with 4 or 5 parties credibly contesting seats they only need to appeal to a very limited portion of the electorate. I expect economic and political extremism to be the new norm this autumn.

> It doesn't matter if Boris is right or not Corbyn has been portrayed as a ditherer and that will be damaging

Well it does but probably not at the polls

jk

jkarran 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> Us leavers don’t want a second referendum because, for us, there’s nothing to gain but everything to lose from one.

Nothing to lose. I despair.

jk

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to jkarran:

> Nothing to lose. I despair.

> jk

But you, as in remainers, have or will, according to posts on this forum, lost everything. Remainers are already in despair and more so now that Johnson has become Prime Minister.

A second referendum gives you a chance to stop Brexit.

What do leavers gain from a second referendum? 

Why should I, as a leaver, demand another referendum?

Andy Hardy 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

The despair is that leavers are blind to what we all lose through leaving, without any gains, of any sort in compensation

marsbar 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

Not all leavers wanted a no deal Brexit. 

Those I know personally who voted leave wanted the money to go to the NHS instead. 

That isn't going to happen. 

They didn't vote for having to get 2 different sets of paperwork to pay for just to drive to Spain via France.  

They weren't aware at the time of the vote of the implications for the Irish border and the Good Friday agreement.  

They were told that trade would carry on as if nothing happened. 

Many people who voted leave realise now that they were lied too.  BJ is still at it, lying about kippers.  

Maybe you knew all this, but many others who voted leave are brave enough to say we were lied to, we want a say on not leaving without a deal.  

JRM even said at the time that there would be a 2nd referendum on the details of the deal.  More lies.   

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> The despair is that leavers are blind to what we all lose through leaving, without any gains, of any sort in compensation

We’ve had many predictions of what we will lose.

Some might be true but as we are nowhere near a withdrawal agreement let alone a final deal is it not impossible to say what will actually be lost or gained.

Rob Exile Ward 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

Democratic legitimacy?

This is going to b*gger up you, your kid's and your grandchildren's futures in countless ways; from the economic holocaust that WILL hit when a no-deal Brexit occurs,  our eviction or demotion  from any number of joint academic, security, social, environmental and scientific ventures, to the loss of what has been our fundamental glorious  freedom, to travel and work throughout Europe as equal citizens. (Just try falling sick in France after Oct 31st...)

10 years or less after Brexit we will be rightly regarded as we were from the 60s to the 80s - a failing state falling behind our European neighbours on every meaningful index. But you hang on in there, the time for any benefits to start showing has already plunged from WRM's 50 years to Johnson's 30 years - well worth the wait I'm sure.

Well, that's what you've voted for, why is anybody's guess, but democracy does confer the right to not necessarily act in your own interest, a right you've seized with both hands.  Obviously some of us (*probably* the majority, but who really knows?) didn't want that, so before you impose such a cr*p future on us wouldn't it be morally and socially sensible to have a final confirmation that that really is what the majority want? And if they do, well I for one will STFU, keep my head down and spend my time tending roses and apologising quietly to my grandchildren for the bl**dy awful mess that we've bequeathed them and they will have to sort.

Post edited at 10:27
baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to marsbar:

I fully understand the reluctance to leaving without a deal.

However, remainers have been demanding a second referendum long before no deal became a probability.

baron 26 Jul 2019

And the referendum question will be what?

There’ll be as much argument about that as there has been about Brexit so far.

And if you win the referendum what’s your plan to satisfy the leavers?

Or is it just ‘tough, you lost, enjoy your time in the EU’?

That’ll be democratic legitimacy.

MG 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> Us leavers don’t want a second referendum because, for us, there’s nothing to gain but everything to lose from one.

You are wrong.

There is a good chance you would win a second referendum. So you'd get the disaster you want for some reason without further question.  Currently there is at least an evens chance you will get nothing - election in the autumn with a remain coalition and it's all over for you - all the horrors of being a welcoming, trading cooperative state would be forced on you.

Andy Hardy 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> We’ve had many predictions of what we will lose.

And what about the gains? Easy trade with, err, the Faroe Islands. Deep. Joy.

> Some might be true but as we are nowhere near a withdrawal agreement let alone a final deal is it not impossible to say what will actually be lost or gained.

It is very very clear that Johnson is going to pursue a no deal brexit, aided and abetted by his vote leave cabinet, and the consequences of that are both predicatable and painful.

john arran 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

What you have to gain is the implementation of the will of the people that leavers seem to  be so keen of respecting. Illegalities aside, the situation and expected outcome options are so different now compared to those glibly promised in 2016 that all but the most stubborn leavers must surely admit that they won't be seeing the kind of Brexit they expected when they voted during the referendum (unless, of course, you wilfully restrict your focus to the most simplistic, binary interpretation of expectation.)

If, in the light of the new realty of zero tangible benefit and in seeing that project fear is already happening and is poised to get vastly worse on exit, people still choose to pull the trigger on our membership of the EU, at least we can then all accept that the people have chosen the future we must all live with in reasonable knowledge of what that will mean in practice.

Of course, that won't stop the inevitable campaign of renewed lies targeted to hoodwink people again, but at least there's a chance of those lies being exposed for what they are this time.

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to MG:

It’s not my reaction to remaining in the EU that you should be worried about.

It’s the damage to our political system and the extremists who no doubt make up some of the 17 million leavers.

Offwidth 26 Jul 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

What arithmatic? If Boris fails to get his deal and the government falls in October due to those remainers in his own party, this doesn't make him strong ffs, and the Brexit party are not going to say "all right then we can close down now"!? The arithmatic to me in such circumstances suggests a small Labour majority if they and Brexit campaign very well (albeit due to a split tory/Brexit vote giving way more metropolitan Labour wins from the tories than any northern loses). However, as the tories look to be losing all their Liberal marginals under such circumstances,  it's more likely a Lab-Lib(-SNP?)  coalition of the anti no-deal parties; in which Corbyn's advisors (like Milne and McClusky) as a driving power are toast (or the coalition can't form).

Boris is a dangerous dishonest clown and his government one of the most reactionary ever seen in the UK: he's kicked his wet/remainer wing in the teeth and knocked most of them out. This does not make him strong, it doesn't make him popular with swing votors, it just means the small, out-of-touch, pensioner, tory membership liked him more.

I despair with JC at times (especially over his handling of antisemitism) but he is far from a dishonest clown. As a social liberal I'm a very long way from his political position but to claim he is a completely incapable campaigner after the last election is plain idiotic and his shadow cabinet still has some high profile moderates and party membership is huge and young. Also if no deal is the only option, the party can unite on a clear theme... ie no deal is not acceptable... and can form a coalition (whereas this time a tory Liberal option looks impossible) . We also seem to be moving away from a two party state, due to the two main parties heading away from the centre, but whoever gets the centre ground always wins and that looks to be to be Liberal and more Labour than tory in England (and massively more SNP in Scotland).

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I don’t think that the consequences of a no withdrawal agreement Brexit are predictable at all.

baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

The will of the people is a sound bite, nothing more and nothing less.

What we’d like is for politicians who were elected to deliver Brexit to do so.

Remainers would have a better chance of winning the Brexit debate if they could offer something other than just remaining in the same old EU, a choice that has already been rejected.

Trevers 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> What do leavers gain from a second referendum? 

Democratic legitimacy (if you win).

> Why should I, as a leaver, demand another referendum?

Because you care about democracy and the unity of our society.

Andy Hardy 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

> I don’t think that the consequences of a no withdrawal agreement Brexit are predictable at all.

They very much are. You just need to apply the third country rules to our trade with the EU for a start.

RomTheBear 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

What you forgot is FPTP.  Labour vote is likely to be split with Lib Dem’s, and they have no easy way to get this vote back. They could campaign on a pro-remain platform but they would lose as many of their constituencies are hardcore leave.

However, the Tories can easily get Brexit party voters back. All they need to do is get no-deal in their manifesto, that eliminates the only reason for existence of the Brexit party.

Strategically, BJ is in a better position, in fact in a much better position than Theresa May was in at the last GE.

Post edited at 10:51
 Rob Exile Ward 26 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

'It’s the damage to our political system and the extremists who no doubt make up some of the 17 million leavers.'

Well I think you have nailed it right there. So we're taking this catastrophic step because we are being bullied by  mentalists like Farage, IDS, Rees-Mogg and, dear God Aron Banks. We're leaving the EU because we're scared of them?

My guess is that there are probably less than 100,00 die-hard f*cking Nazis who truly want this thing at any cost and you're absolutely correct, they will kick off again if they don't get their way. So do we face them down now, or let them have their way because we're scared of them? Put that in your next Churchillian speech, Bojo.

Post edited at 10:56
baron 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> Democratic legitimacy (if you win).

> Because you care about democracy and the unity of our society.

A second referendum might be democratic but it will do nothing to unify the country.

Something most remainers fail to address.

We get promises to change the EU from within without any details as to how that would happen.

Failing to convince leavers that remaining in the EU is a good thing that will actually get better is the reason why, despite everything that has emerged since the referendum, so many people haven’t changed their minds.

baron 26 Jul 2019

We’re letting the threat of a return to terrorism in Northern Ireland hold the withdrawal agreement to ransom.

How many people is that who are exerting their twisted ideology on the rest of the UK?

Whatever happened to ‘we don’t negotiate with terrorists’?

Oh yes, the Good Friday agreement, that’s what happened.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...