This is one of the great outlier walks around Snowdon, and ideal for a shorter mountain walk with amazing views across to Snowdon itself, plus the Moelwyns, Nantlle Ridge and Moel Hebog. The area has a few disused mines and despite its appearances has quite a remote feel to it. The route heads up into Cwm Llan before making towards Yr Aran.
This has been viewed 4,488 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 7.27 miles (11.70 km)
Total ascent: 767m
Time: 4 – 5 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
SummitsYr Aran 747 m
The Car Park at the bottom of the Watkin Path, which is now a pay and display, SH627507
A mix of track and mountain path. In general it is not too boggy, save for a few parts of the descent. Most of the route is on fairly well established paths, but the descent requires some navigational skill to contour across the north west face of Yr Aran.
In winter the tops can be cover in snow and ice, but due to the lower altitude of this peak the conditions are not often full-on.
Weather and Hill Conditions: mwis: Snowdonia – Met Office: Snowdonia
OS Explorer OL17 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL18 (1:25,000), Harvey/BMC Snowdonia (1:40,000), OS Landranger 115 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Beddgelert (01766 890615); Blaenau Ffestiniog (01766 830 360); Llanberis (01286 870 765)
by Mark Reeves
- Snowdon via the Llanberis Path, and down the Snowdon Ranger 9 Oct, 2020
- Dolwyddelan - The Cwm Penamnen Horseshoe 10 Jul, 2020
- A Round of the Northern Carneddau 3000ers 11 Jun, 2020
- Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem 24 Apr, 2020
- Moel Hebog to Moel Lefn 5 Mar, 2020
- Cwm Cneifion in Winter - Hidden Gully and Y Gribin 20 Feb, 2020
- Dartmoor - The North Moor from Princetown 12 Feb, 2020
- Snowdon Via the South Ridge and the Watkin Path 21 Dec, 2019
- Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr from the Pen Y Gwryd 27 Nov, 2019
- The New Forest: Abbot's Well - Fritham Circuit 26 Aug, 2019