This is a long and arduous route across the open moorland of the North Moor of Dartmoor. Whilst relatively easy in terms of height gain, the distance and the conditions underfoot combine to make this an extremely challenging day out. In fact some people may wish to take a tent and stay the night out. The route was inspired by the Ten Tors training I did when I was a youth, travelling up from Bournemouth for weekend training before the actual event. At a guess this is probably similar in the distance that the easiest Ten Tors category has to cover in a day when on the event.
This has been viewed 3,403 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 15.22 miles (24.50 km)
Total ascent: 471m
Time: 7 – 9 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
SummitsNorth Hessary Tor 509 m
Rundlestone Tor 480 m
Devils Tor 549 m
Lydford Tor 507 m
Great and Little Mis Tor -1 m
Lynch Tor 517 m
Main car park in the centre of Princetown, SX588736
Frequent off path navigation across rugged open moorland, which is often masquerading as a bog. The grass terrain can be challenging to walk on due to both the dampness and the clumps of turf that constantly threaten to turn your ankles.
Occasional wintry conditions would make this much more of a challenge, although the moor is quite low which means that the snow won't often lie around for too long.
There is a reasonable public bus service to Princetown.
OS Explorer OL28 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 191 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Dartmoor (01822 890 414); Tavistock (01822 612 938); Buckfastleigh (01364 644 522)
by Mark Reeves
- Snowdon via the Llanberis Path, and down the Snowdon Ranger 9 Oct, 2020
- Dolwyddelan - The Cwm Penamnen Horseshoe 10 Jul, 2020
- A Round of the Northern Carneddau 3000ers 11 Jun, 2020
- Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem 24 Apr, 2020
- Moel Hebog to Moel Lefn 5 Mar, 2020
- Cwm Cneifion in Winter - Hidden Gully and Y Gribin 20 Feb, 2020
- Snowdon Via the South Ridge and the Watkin Path 21 Dec, 2019
- Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr from the Pen Y Gwryd 27 Nov, 2019
- The New Forest: Abbot's Well - Fritham Circuit 26 Aug, 2019
- The Atlantic Ridge of Carnedd Y Filiast 7 Aug, 2019