The eastern edge of Dartmoor offers a great circuit based around the focal point of Haytor Rocks. While this is only a short route, it is scenically spectacular. The round takes in Haytor, Saddle Tor, Rippon Tor, Holwell Tor, Hound Tor and Black Hill. As well as the wild granite tors the area also passes the ancient settlement of Hound Tor and the disused tramways of old quarries. It makes a pleasant introduction to Dartmoor, as whilst the terrain is typical of the area, it's not as wild and remote as much of the interior of the moor. The area is extremely popular and often simply finding and staying on the right path (of many) is the biggest issue.
This has been viewed 4,300 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 7.52 miles (12.10 km)
Total ascent: 481m
Time: 3 – 4 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
SummitsRippon Tor 473 m
Start at the car park above the main Haytor Visitors Centre, which has a toilet. This is not a pay and display car unlike the other two car parks closer to Haytor, SX762771
The terrain is rolling moorland. Areas are subject to bogginess, although they are isolated and you can get away without your gaiters. Basic navigation skills are required to follow the suggested route.
OS Explorer OL28 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 191 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Bovey Tracey (01626 832047); Ashburton (01364 653 426); Moretonhampstead (01647 440043)
by Mark Reeves
- Snowdon via the Llanberis Path, and down the Snowdon Ranger 9 Oct, 2020
- Dolwyddelan - The Cwm Penamnen Horseshoe 10 Jul, 2020
- A Round of the Northern Carneddau 3000ers 11 Jun, 2020
- Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem 24 Apr, 2020
- Moel Hebog to Moel Lefn 5 Mar, 2020
- Cwm Cneifion in Winter - Hidden Gully and Y Gribin 20 Feb, 2020
- Dartmoor - The North Moor from Princetown 12 Feb, 2020
- Snowdon Via the South Ridge and the Watkin Path 21 Dec, 2019
- Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr from the Pen Y Gwryd 27 Nov, 2019
- The New Forest: Abbot's Well - Fritham Circuit 26 Aug, 2019