"You're better off living in a hole looking at a palace than living in the palace looking at the hole" - Carl Pilkington, An Idiot Abroad. Moel Eilio is the perfect example of this... except of course that' it's not a 'hole' at all but really rather pretty. Situated on the edge of Snowdonia, its summit views encompass neighbouring Snowdon, round past the stunning skyline of the Nantlle Ridge and Mynydd Mawr to the Irish Sea. Further to the north, Anglesey stretches out far below until you come back round to distant views of the Carneddau and the Glyderau. So whilst the hill barely makes it to mountain status the outlook across the palatial grandeur of Northern Snowdonia is unrivalled. From the summit of Moel Eilio, it's worth traversing the range all the way to Moel Cynghorion.
This has been viewed 5,671 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 10.31 miles (16.60 km)
Total ascent: 965m
Time: 5 – 7 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
Lakeside car park in Llanberis, SH577605
A variety of tarmac, rough tracks and grassy ridge lines. The final section of Cwm Bwrynog is boggy. It can be avoided, but it is so short-lived and you are so close to the end of the day it is worth the risk of damp feet.
The circuit is reasonably low altitude, and only in the coldest of winters will the summit ridges be frozen snow and ice. In those conditions an ice axe and crampons are required.
Weather and Hill Conditions: mwis: Snowdonia – Met Office: Snowdonia
Bus to Llanberis
OS Explorer 254 (1:25,000), OS Explorer 263 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL17 (1:25,000), OS Explorer OL18 (1:25,000), Harvey/BMC Snowdonia (1:40,000), OS Landranger 115 (1:50,000), OS Landranger 114 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Llanberis (01286 870 765); Bangor (01248 352786); Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (01248 713177)
by Mark Reeves
- Snowdon via the Llanberis Path, and down the Snowdon Ranger 9 Oct, 2020
- Dolwyddelan - The Cwm Penamnen Horseshoe 10 Jul, 2020
- A Round of the Northern Carneddau 3000ers 11 Jun, 2020
- Maesglase, a Mid Wales Gem 24 Apr, 2020
- Moel Hebog to Moel Lefn 5 Mar, 2020
- Cwm Cneifion in Winter - Hidden Gully and Y Gribin 20 Feb, 2020
- Dartmoor - The North Moor from Princetown 12 Feb, 2020
- Snowdon Via the South Ridge and the Watkin Path 21 Dec, 2019
- Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr from the Pen Y Gwryd 27 Nov, 2019
- The New Forest: Abbot's Well - Fritham Circuit 26 Aug, 2019