PRESS RELEASE: The Climber's Path

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 Sep 2022

Ten years in the making, and endorsed by the Association of Mountaineering Instructors, the Climber's Path has just launched - featuring Cinematic Films, Racks Used, Directions, Route Histories, and Topos, from some of Britain's most iconic climbs.

Read more

Luke90 16 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Blimey, I was going to climb half a dozen routes tomorrow and it's going to be a mighty expensive day out by the time I've paid for all the walkthroughs!

Interesting concept. Can't blame a guy for trying something new and a thousand threads on UKC certainly show that there's a desire out there for beta on routes. Hard to see it really taking off at a scale that would make it sustainable though. Quality video production is hard work. And I'd have mixed feelings about it as a direction for climbing to be heading in if it somehow did get huge.

Strikes me as a slightly weird thing for the AMI to be endorsing.

alan moore 16 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Bizarre.

john arran 16 Sep 2022
In reply to Luke90:

Reminds me of the recent 'Is climbing changing?' thread. If this comes even close to paying for itself financially, I'd say the answer to that will be a definite 'yes'!

Misha 16 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Or just read my logbook entry 🤣

Fredt 17 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

How sad.

deacondeacon 17 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

I actually like the idea of short videos giving details on the history etc of a particular route. I've often wondered the reasoning behind route names etc. Beta, gear placements etc is pretty lame though but I guess each to their own.

£18 QUID TO FIND OUT HOW TO CLIMB A VS LIKE CHEE TOR GIRDLE THOUGH! MENTAL!

it's the sort of video that deserves a few pence In ad revenue on YouTube, not £18.

If they sell 10 I'll be shocked.

DaveHK 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Misha:

> Or just read my logbook entry 🤣

It's funny because it's true. 😉 

Graeme Hammond 17 Sep 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

> £18 QUID TO FIND OUT HOW TO CLIMB A VS LIKE CHEE TOR GIRDLE THOUGH! MENTAL!

Makes the cost per climb of buying even some of the most expensive guidebooks look cheap.

Aside from that it looks like it removes most of the fun of the challenge of trad adventure where a guide points you in the right direction with just enough information this looks like it will spoon feed and encourage people having watched a video to go beyond thier level of competence and judgement.

Robert Durran 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

The spoonfeeding of the exact gear seems very odd. Everyone knows that if you ask someone what gear you need for a climb it turns out you need other stuff.

The whole thing seems very odd in fact.

deepsoup 17 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Like many here I find this a bit baffling. 

But leaving that on one side I have a bit of a pedantic word-based quibble.

"The Climber's Path ... to adventure."

In most definitions of the word "adventure" it includes some idea of the concept of venturing into the unknown. 

Extremely detailed step-by-step instructions and all the beta strikes me as the precise opposite of a "path to adventure".  On the contrary, it seems like something specifically designed to strip as much of the adventure as possible out of the whole endeavour.

Sean Kelly 17 Sep 2022
In reply to Misha:

> Or just read my logbook entry 🤣

Sadly only 24 hours in a day Misha!

helix 17 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Oh dear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...