Broken vertebrae recovery

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Will Hunt 02 Apr 2024

A couple of weeks ago I fell while highballing and now have a burst fracture of my L1 vertebrae. I saw the CT scan today and it looks quite thoroughly broken! Some bone fragments have been squished outwards, some have squashed inwards to crowd the cauda equina. I was in hospital for a few days and am now at home. No back brace, no serious painkillers (just ibuprofen and paracetamol as and when I need it. Mainly first thing in the morning). I'm managing to get about, albeit slowly using crutches (though these are just for assistance/support as opposed to necessary). Standing for more than a few minutes becomes quite achy.

I had my first appointment with orthopedic outpatients today and started asking questions about expected recovery. The advice was a 3-6 month recovery time, building up during that period. The consultant advised not to climb for a year, though he did say he didn't know anything about climbing.

I'm wondering if there's anybody with experience of an injury like this, or of treating an injury like this, who can advise on when some return to climbing activity might be sensible. Obviously I've no interest in risking any neurological damage and I'm totally relaxed about not bouldering or taking big falls onto mats for a year, but it would be nice to do some roped climbing sooner if recovery allows. I can't imagine top roping doing any damage after the 6 month period if x-rays show the bone is healing well?

SilentDai 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi,

I work in rehab, splitting my time between elite sport and work related injuries. We see back injuries from falling off ladders etc. so I guess I’m in a good position to answer your questions. 
The basic advice seems reasonable. I’d argue though that climbing is a really good exercise for back strength, flexibility, control etc. so could be introduced earlier. In fact we’ve even got a mini bouldering wall in the clinic and are looking to put a Moon Board in a new place we’ve just got the keys to. As you said the key is to understand the loading parameters. If you traverse 30 cm from the ground and can step off there’s not going to be a lot of impact in the spine. Top roping is ok, leading is going to see more forces and a 4m bouldering drop even more. 
Cauda Equina damage is serious, as you know, so take it easy. Don’t rush but I wouldn’t have thought you need to wait a year for ‘any’ climbing activity. 
You obviously don’t want to put medical info on here so feel free to send me a message if you want to chat. 

Post edited at 08:37
 Neil Morrison 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi, there was this thread just the other week that might have some useful info https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/returning_to_climbing_after_bre... I’m with SilentDai re the rehab. 

I’ll email as well.

wilkesley 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

In 1978 I fractured my L3 or L4 (I can't remember which now). This was from a long fall off the Ben. I had several other injuries too. In my case, I had to lie flat on my back in a hospital bed for five weeks. I did lots of exercises in bed to keep my quads healthy.

It took me about a year to get back to some level of fitness and I could go hill walking again. I wasn't given any advice about climbing, but it would have been about two years before I started again.

Dave Musgrove 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi Will, 

Sorry to hear of your accident. 

I crushed two vertebrae in my lumber region when I was 18 in June 1967. I was in hospital ten days and a huge plaster cast for 7 weeks but I was climbing again by late September. I was a bit stiff and quite cautious for a while but certainly OK by early the following year. I think you'll know yourself when it feels safe to start again and tope ropes and leading on indoor walls will be great test places. The body is great at healing itself and motivation to get fit again comes naturally to us climbers. 

ebdon 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi Will, sorry I can't offer any advice on broken backs, but as someone else who smashed themselves up highballing a few weeks ago and told I won't be climbing for 6 months I just wanted to send some support, wishing you a speedy recovery.

stewart murray 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt: Hi Will, I had a compression fracture in one of my lower vertebrae and found swimming was good rehab for me. Don’t know if that’s relevant to your specific injury?

All the best with your recovery.

In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi Will,

Sorry to hear about your accident and based on my experience a 3-6 month recovery period sounds reasonable for roped climbing but every injury is different.

I had a big accident on 12th July 2016 shattering my scapula, fracturing my clavicle and a few ribs, I also had a small glenoid fracture and seven fractured vertebrae L3-9. I was in a spinal brace for approximately two months followed by intense physiotherapy.

The consultant said I would never be able to climb again, however I did and started climbing again on 6th October albeit with limited reach due to the scapula/glenoid/clavicle injuries. (I could only lift my left arm slightly above shoulder level so had to put in quickdraws and clip with my right hand.) I saw the consultant again in November 2016 and he was gobsmacked with my progress and said he would have to reconsider his recovery advice.

Wishing you a good recovery, take care.

Chris

cwarby 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Will

Sorry to hear about the mishap, see through my posts on other threads. Essentially it was a 40% wedge compression of L1 in May last year. I did very little for 12 weeks, but a physio said as others here say, start to get climbing, but gently. Traversing, easy TR etc. She was adamant the flexibility and strength gained climbing was only going to be positive. I've got myself back to low 7's F and f indoors in Jan. My experience is, she's right.

OP Will Hunt 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thanks for all the replies and advice, everyone.

Dave Cundy 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

I replied on Ebdon's thread but i just remembered about swimming...

I tried after about two months but then 'discovered' that you breathe more deeply in a swimming pool.  And that didn't come easily.  It took half an hour of bumbling round in the shallow end before i plucked up the courage to do a length.  It felt like doing your first ever extreme.

But the swimming was really helpful.  As was the yoga.  Good luck with the recovery!

Post edited at 12:54

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...