Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh are typical Corbetts – accessible yet generally overlooked by the masses; small-ish but by no means a pushover. Rising above the village of Lochearnhead, these neighbouring tops are a good bet for solitude. You’ll never be alone on nearby headliners like the Tarmachan Ridge or Ben More, yet from Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh the view could be all your own. It’s a route of manageable length, but one that still packs a full Corbett quota of tough terrain, from the rocky crags and knobbles on top to the maze of peat hags in the glen below.
This has been viewed 1,094 times
Distance: 11.62 miles (18.70 km)
Total ascent: 997m
Time: 6 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
Car park in Lochearnhead, NN592238
Killin or Comrie
A long stretch on a farm track allows for easy access to the hills (using a mountain bike here would be an advantage). Once off the track the paths are sketchy and the ground alternates between steep and complex terrain weaving around rock outcrops, and boggy ground weaving around peat hags.
The steeper ground and crag avoidance would need a bit of care in snowy conditions, particularly if visibility is limited.
Weather and Hill Conditions: mwis: Cairngorms & Monadhliath – Met Office: West Highlands
Bus from Callander or Killin to Lochearnhead
The Corbetts (SMC)
OS Explorer 365 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 57 (1:50,000), OS Landranger 51 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Killin (08707 200 627); Callander (08452 255 121); Aberfoyle (08452 255 121)
by Dan Bailey UKH
- Carn Eighe and Co. from Glen Affric 19 Jan
- Beinn Dearg and Cona' Mheall from the south 30 Dec, 2021
- Sgurr nan Clach Geala, Meall a' Chrasgaidh and Sgurr nan Each 3 Dec, 2021
- Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach 29 Oct, 2021
- Geal-charn, Drumochter 11 Oct, 2021
- Drygarn Fawr from Rhiwnant 1 Sep, 2021
- Ringstead Bay, White Nothe, and the Smuggler's Path 17 Aug, 2021
- Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch 7 Aug, 2021
- Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean 8 Jul, 2021
- Fionn Bheinn 24 Jun, 2021