Routes around Fort William: iffy conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kid Spatula 05 Feb 2018

Anyone recommend any grade I or II routes around Fort William if the avalanche risk is a bit high?

Was going to do Ledge Route this weekend, but looking at the forecast Number 5 gully would likely be a bit dodgy. Is the bypass okay in this scenario? I realise that it still crosses No. 5 gully, but at a narrow section.

Also thinking Beinn a Chaorainn E ridge and the E Ridge of Carn Dearg Meodhonach from the gondola.

Lucy Wallace 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Schoolhouse ridge above Ballahulish is a good option in iffy conditions. Need to consider descent though. 

E ridge of Beinn a Chaorainn is generally considered a "safe" option in certain poor conditions, but I do know someone who was avalanched on approach in poor vis. Likewise approach to Carn Dearg Meadhonach can be problematic. 

Golden Oldy on West Face on Aonach Mor is often worth a look- but make sure you do your first visit in good vis as its a tad confusing. 

Basically there is no one simple safe route... but you have the right idea going for ridges and there are certainly some smashing ones in the area. 

Sophie G. 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Sron na Lairig. If anything gets a bit iffy-looking, just reverse the route. It probably won't, and then you can carry on over Sgreamhach and Bidean.

And yes, Ledge Route should be okay if you get through of the smush zone quickly.

Post edited at 20:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...