Classic Winter - Fuar Tholl and Sgorr Ruadh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 08 Nov 2021

James Roddie strikes it lucky with the weather, on an epic snowy day in the impressive and under-appreciated Coulin Forest.

Read more

Mal Grey 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKH Articles:

Lovely stuff, what a day you had, around one one of my all time favourite places (Coire Lair). The views from these summits are amongst the very, very best and in those conditions are astonishing. Getting Alpenglow at both the beginning and end of the day must have been special.

I once fell in the river in similar snow conditions, luckily on the way back down, attempting to match my lanky mate's leap from rock to rock. I still resent his "go-go-gadget legs" to this day. We'd summitted up the big obvious gully next to the Cold Hole itself, complete with dodgy finish past a collapsed cornice which we were entirely too inexperienced to really attempt, but hey, we were already there and at least we were fit and strong (the long lost feeling of immortality when 21!)! 

We've slightly struggled with routes down from Creag Mainnrichean in poor vis and dodgy snow, not as obvious as you'd think and we always seem to end up too far left leading to a loose or slippery traverse, when attempting to avoid the crags. 

Thanks for a great read and superb photos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...