Valais West Guidebook by Alpine Club

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Tile Diver 11 Apr 2024

Looking to buy a copy of the Valais West Guidebook by the Alpine Club, can't seem to find one, any info how to get one appreciated.

Cheers!

MG 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

It's out of print and hard to find but keep an eye on abenooks etc 

OP Tile Diver 11 Apr 2024
In reply to MG:

Cheers!

Steve Woollard 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

As well as being out of print it's also seriously out of date verging on dangerously so. There are several local guidebooks depending on what you're looking for.

MG 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Steve Woollard:

It needs treating with care but it gives an overview and context not in English elsewhere. In some areas (eg Italian flank), it has a lot of peaks covered that aren't described otherwise in English at all. 

Post edited at 05:48
 RBK 12 Apr 2024

It's both out of date given the current state of the mountains and has some fairly critical route description errors, even at the time of writing! You're much better off with camptocamp etc.

OP Tile Diver 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll have a look at more recent guidebooks, ideally in English. I'm heading out with my daughter to do some easy mountaineering / easy rock ridges.

Cheers.

Mr Fuller 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

If I could wish Rockfax could make one guide it'd probably be this... a combined rock and Alpine/ice guide for Saas, Zermatt etc would be very helpful.

Post edited at 13:28
 MG 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

Which area(s) are you looking at? The SAC do summary guides to the Swiss side of the valais in French and German which are good and as up to date as any. The Italian side has some very recent guides to all areas covering selected routes up to about  AD.

Post edited at 14:55
 biggianthead 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Tile Diver:

I've got a copy in very good condition. I've also got the Valais East guidebook. If you are interested send me a PM.

I might not pick it message until mid next week.

Cheers

Phil

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...