Recommendations for small sac for multi-pitch routes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 duncan b 08 Apr 2024

Hello

I'm after recommendations for a small sac when climbing long multi-pitch routes please. The smaller and lighter the better. I really only want something to carry a bladder for water and maybe a few snacks. The kind which hug your back and are favoured by runners would be ideal. 

Cheers 

Duncan 

Exile 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

I've just got a Blue Ice Dragonfly 18 on a deal from Rock and Run that I'm very pleased with. If you want smaller I'd suggest looking at mountain bike bags rather than running ones as the running ones have all gone race vest style, which means you end up with bottles on the front which can get in the way a bit. 

StevieH 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Decathlon also do a copy of the dragon fly. I think it might be called the crag.

ebdon 08 Apr 2024
In reply to Exile:

A second vote for the dragonfly.

Birks 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

I've got the new version of the dragonfly in 26l (and have tried on the 18l new version) and my partner has the 18l version of the older version.

They are all good in there own ways, but specifically for a lets say a 5-10 pitch route, I prefer the older 18l version. It carries higher on your back (so more out of the way of your harness) and packs into its own pocket.

I used the 26l new version on 20+ pitch alpine routes last year and it was perfect for that.

Previous to getting the above, I bought the bmc montane rock up bag, which I actually thought was great until the rope strap clasp broke far too easily (why they make these clasps with flimsy small plastic is beyond me).

AlanLittle 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

I have an older version oif this Decathlon bag:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-backpack-20-litres-rock-20-ocre/_/R-...

It's pretty good, except that it's quite long in the bag so gets in the way of the chalkbag a bit. I'm 5'11", that would presumably be worse for a shorter person

OP duncan b 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Although the dragonfly and Decathlon bag both look great, I was ideally looking for something smaller. Mountain bike bags are a good shout. Hadn't thought of that. 

Liam Taylor 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

If it's just to carry a lightweight jacket and some food/water I wear my Rab trail running vest. They sit really high so well out of the way of your harness etc. also they don't move around as designed to be run in.

Post edited at 11:47
 PaulJepson 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

https://alpkit.com/products/gnarl-15-litre-daypack

I have this and it's good. Sits well on the back and no annoying straps around harness area.

Stephen James 08 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Have you had a look at the Black Diamond Cirrus?

Godwin 09 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

I think these are a good option.FORCLAZ Foldable backpack 10L - Travel

£2.99

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/_/R-p-309861?mc=8560403

salix 09 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Not a running pack, and not super light but another option would be metolius' 'Big Wall Gear Sling'. Which despite the name is actually a bag.

James0101 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

I looked at this question quite abit recently and gathered this information on weight. 100g of weight is definitely not as important as design, build quality and durability but hope it's useful

dmm zenith 18l  580g

blue ice dragonfly 18L  415g / 325g stripped

petzl bug 18L  510g

bd rock blitz 15L  403g

latok 20L  480g

simond alpinism 22L  530g (quite alot can be stripped off)

simond climbing backpack 20L  360g

I think the foldable/packable bags are a good option to pair with a bigger 'approach bag' as they are tiny (45g), I've ordered one but haven't tested it out yet. I've seen these type of bags are used quite often in winter to carry some kit/comforts on the route.

Adding in a chest strap (<£5) is worthwhile for climbing. The fabric is very lightweight so definitely not durable, that doesn't matter much for the cost of a <£10 bag - but there is a fair concern about losing it's contents on a thrutchy route.

lithos 09 Apr 2024

i have a decathlon cliff, excellent but a bit larger (as noted longer) and works to carry in stuff if going light, rope on outside approach to a mountain crag.

but usually i use the pacakable 3 quid ones (or previous version around the same price) I carry my helmet in it so i always have one with me,. You can tie the straps across chest (or add a chest strap but the main straps are a bit flimsy)  but it works well,  weighs  next to nothing and last a long time  and cost bugger all.

mind you the zenith is a nicer sack to use (as are the others probably) but falls between use cases for me.  I guess if you could get out of the car to start the 10 pitch route they'd excel

tehmarks 11 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan b:

Grivel used to make a tiny pack designed for exactly that. I think they discontinued it at about the time I bought mine, which is a shame because it's really well thought-through as a climbing backpack. About 10L, sling design with a buckle-able 'cross strap' to stop the bag moving about means you can slide it round the front and take things out without taking it off. It moves with the body so well that it basically may as well not be there.

Of course, being such a great design probably doomed it to failure from the very beginning...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...