Running pack that'll take an ice axe & poles

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Trossachs 22 Feb 2024

Currently have an Osprey Duro 15 as my large running pack, but it has useless pole storage and no options for an axe.

I'm looking for something that's...

• 15-20l
  • Has soft flask pockets with plenty of other storage options up front
  • Can take Z poles and an ice axe

I ordered a Black Diamond 15 and I've tried it on, but it seems like it might be susceptible to the load bouncing around a bit. Let me know if you've got any experience of it, maybe I'm wrong.

Any other options to consider?

greg_may_ 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I came her to say DIstance 15... but you've already got one it appears.

I love Distance 8 and have done a lot with it. The 15 from what my friend tells me runs similar, just with a bigger capacity carry stuff you don't need

OMM is another place to look. You can get poles and axes onto any of their bags with adapters and bungee cord. 

Hamish Frost 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/tupilak-20-vest-pack?variant=...

They do a slightly smaller one (14L) as well. Robust material so works well as a seconding pack for climbing too.

wellwood 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I was also going to suggest the Distance 15. It's probably my most used pack. However, I hate the soft flask pockets for storing actual soft flasks, so always end up using a plastic bottle in the main compartment. 

daftdazza 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I use this as my winter running pack, works fine and good value. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountaineering-backpack-22-litres-sprint-22-g...

k_os 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I've got a distance 8 which I've used with axe and poles and it has been great, and will probably buy the 15 or 22 litre at some point to fit a bit more kit in 

OP Trossachs 22 Feb 2024
In reply to greg_may_:

good to hear that experience of the Distance 8. The 15 is currently sitting unused in my front room while I figure out if I want to send it back or not.

Hadn’t thought of the OMM packs, thanks. 

OP Trossachs 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Hamish Frost:

Hadn’t realised ME were doing a larger version of that pack. Worth a look, if pricey!

OP Trossachs 22 Feb 2024
In reply to wellwood:

Is that the original version? I think they changed the design of the soft flask pockets last year. 

Jesse Nagel 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

https://eu.blueice.com/products/reach-15l-pack

No personal experience so just as an extra possibility but comes in 15l and 20l so might fit the bill.

Jack 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Have you tried putting the axe down between the pack and your back? Can be taken out and put back on the go, no straps to faff with. I never notice it's there, works with any pack. Quick and simple.

Schmiken 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

One of the Montane Trailblazers should fit the bill - I love the three I have.

More-On 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Look at the Instinct Trail packs. I've been using the X8 for the past year and it's the best race vest I've tried, much better than Inov8, UD, BD, Raidlight, Salomon et al.

The carry is super stable, pockets that work up front and fittings for poles, axes, sleeping bags etc.

It also compresses down well so I can use the same pack for everything from a 50km race to the Cheviot Goat/13 Valleys.

Oli Greg 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Schmiken:

Would recommend the Montane Trailblazers, very comfortable and stable. The chest pockets aren't as roomy as dedicated ultra vests though

Post edited at 01:10
 chiroshi 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Arcteryx now have the Norvan packs which sound like they could fit the bill. No personal experience though.

Pipecleaner 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I've got a mammut norwand trion 15.  Can fit in a fair bit, carries two axes. Large mesh pockets on chest straps. Rope strap on roll top closure which is removable...helmet can be fashioned onto the strap if need be too!  Currently on sale for a out £105 as there's a slightly revamped one out.  

Are you in the Trossachs?  I'm Callander if you want a look at it to get a idea.

Hope this helps P

wellwood 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Mine is the original version since I bought mine in 2022. If they've changed the soft flask pockets for the better then I'd have no hesitation buying an improved version. As I said in my original post, I use this pack for most hill running days in Cairngorms in both summer & winter, but also for easy hill walking days where I know I don't have to carry the heavy waterproofs. 

OP Trossachs 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Pipecleaner:

Thanks, not seen the Mammut packs before. I am pretty close to Callander, but away at the moment. Cheers for the offer though.

OP Trossachs 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Thanks for all the suggestions - couple of packs I hadn't seen before. The Tupilak seems really good, but not sure I can justify £170 so think I'm going to give the BD Distance a go.

OP Trossachs 23 Feb 2024
In reply to wellwood:

Yes, the harness system is now fixed with more sizes available and the flask pockets are much higher up.

echo34 23 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

Deuter Vertrail 16 perhaps?

I have one as my fast and light mountain pack, great for mountain routes and is fairly stable when running. Fully waterproof too. It’s more of a light alpine pack in running vest format but I really like it

OP Trossachs 26 Feb 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

As an update, I look the BD Distance 15 for a spin on Saturday and it was great. A bit of bounce if you're leaping about, but not too much. Super comfortable to wear and lots of accessible storage. I used long Salomon soft flasks and they worked well. Carries a light axe nicely.

Thanks for all the suggestions though

fimm 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Trossachs:

I see you are happy with what you have so just for general information, I have an Ultimate Direction 30l running pack with loops that could take a light ice axe.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...