Tipping guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jjone797 12 Jul 2023

I'm using a guide in Peru soon, and I'm not sure if out there it's normal to tip guides and porters. Does anyone have any experience of this? If it is normal to tip them, how much is usual? It's roughly a 10 day trip, climbing up to around 6000m give or take a few.

I want to avoid being a cheapskate and appreciate good service and hard work but obviously don't want to overpay too much either.

Post edited at 15:34
 ebdon 12 Jul 2023
In reply to jjone797:

I've always tipped porters in S America (unless they were really crap) in terms of amount I'm not sure I can remember figures but you can use somthing like the price of a meal in a decent local restraunt to work out an amount that will be of some value

Post edited at 16:01
 planetmarshall 12 Jul 2023
In reply to jjone797:

Don't ever tip guides. They'll just get up and chase you whilst waving their ice axes around.

Derry 12 Jul 2023
In reply to jjone797:

I remember doing a whip-round but can't remember how much we got. At the end of the trip we took our guide to a local restaurant and a local football game. Paid for food, tickets and even a football shirt. Cost us next to nothing but he was absolutely made up.

Kai 14 Jul 2023
In reply to jjone797:

I have climbed with many guides on many routes.

I always tip them approximately 15 to 20% of the guide fee and I pay them in cash.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...