crampons advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,
I'm after a pair of crampons. I have a pair of Scarpa SL boots from around 2005/6 which i bought in a sale back when I was a 'poor' student. fortunately they still fit me and are in good condition.

I am after a pair of crampons for Lake district winter hill walking and potentially Scotland in the future. no ice climbing or anything like that.

I initially thought id give the £20 pair a try off ebay as they 'looked' ok, Fortunately I came across the BMC article about them being dangerous and pretty useless. So now I am on the look out for some proper make crampons.

other than looking on Ebay where else sells secondhand stuff like this?

As for new i came across the Simond CAIMAN 2 strapon crampons for £54.99 from decathlon. Does anyone know if they are any good or just cheap ones sold for more, so people think they are more sturdy?
decathlon also have an ice axe for £32.99 so I am on the look out for a walking ice axe too.

Failing that Go outdoors has a winter bundle of Camp Stalker crampons and camp neve axe for £125.

Any advise of where to look or if those new items are ok then that will be great.

i have been meaning to get crampons and ice axe for years but life seems to get in the way sometimes.
 HeMa 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Hartlepool Anthony:

> As for new i came across the Simond CAIMAN 2 strapon crampons for £54.99 from decathlon. Does anyone know if they are any good or just cheap ones sold for more, so people think they are more sturdy?

Simond is a "real" brand that has a long history, and their gear is all rated and safe.

So most likely it will be sturdy enough. Especially compared to the Camps.

2nd hand options of stuff like Grivel G10/12 or Airtech from fleabay are also an option.

cb294 11 Dec 2017
In reply to HeMa:

+1, Simond stuff is generally good but not quite top of the range kit with normally excellent value for money.

That said, if you are looking for an exclusive walking crampon nothing beats the Grivel airtechs, whose slightly shorter points make walking with an almost normal gait much easier. They also have the best anti bot plates on the market. If you have the money I would try to find a used pair somewhere.

CB
 Flinticus 11 Dec 2017

Try the For Sale section on this site.
 ShortLock 11 Dec 2017

I got Salewa Alpinist Walk crampons new for about £50 and they've been ideal. Used them for winter hillwalking in the Lakes and over the summer in the Alps on some low angle ice stuff too.

Think that's about as cheap as you'll find from a reputable supplier. Even second hand I haven't seen G10s or similar go for much less.
 Mal Grey 11 Dec 2017

The Simonds will be fine, very similar to my Grivel-made Tiso ones.

mattsccm 12 Dec 2017

Go to ebay, search crampons then used. I found 79 pairs
Any of those with straps only plus a plate between the front and back would be fine. One size fits all . This sort of thing
CAMP-CRAMPONS-393/352227817105?
The older looking Salewas may well fit but I don't know how bendy you boots are and what size.
Stacks about, being replaced by over complicated new kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...