Hinkes made it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 02 Jun 2005
Press release from Berghaus:

ALAN HINKES ENTERS THE RECORD BOOKS AS THE FIRST BRITON EVER TO CLIMB THE WORLD'S 14 HIGHEST PEAKS

British extreme altitude mountaineer, Alan Hinkes, has successfully reached the summit of Kangchenjunga. This marks the completion of Hinkes' Challenge 8000, his attempt to be the first Briton to Summit the world's 14, 8000m peaks.

Hinkes, a leading member of the Berghaus team of climbers, reached the top of Kangchenjunga – at 8587 metres above sea level Accompanying him on his final summit attempt was friend and climbing partner Pasang Gelu.

As ever, on reaching the summit, Hinkes took out a photo of his daughter Fiona and his grandson Jay to have his summit photos taken. Hinkes has undertaken this ritual on every one of his successful summit expeditions.

Speaking about his epic ordeal live from base camp at 6000 metres, Alan said:

"The final summit push was without a doubt the hardest climb of my life. We left base camp on Thursday 26 May and began to push up the mountain. The weather had not been good which meant there was an awful lot of fresh snow to break through. Risk of avalanche was incredibly high and every step of the way was a matter of physical and mental endurance.

Cont'd…

"The snow was so deep that we were unable to make camp three and had to bivvy on the hillside at around 7400m. We tried for a summit attempt on the 29 May but we were beaten back by the weather.

"A second summit attempt saw us leave at about 1am on the 30 May. More snow had fallen but we made good time. My climbing partner Pasang had to stop around 15 minutes short of the summit due to exhaustion. I reached the summit on the 30 May at around 7pm in driving snow and wind. It was the worst summit conditions I can remember. I took the obligatory photo spent around 10 minutes on the summit and then began my descent.

"It was about 9pm when I caught up with Pasang but with no head torch it was difficult to locate him and I honestly thought he was dead. It was with great elation that I found him and we got back to the bivvy site around 27 hours after setting off on 31 May.

"The next couple of days saw us descending back to base camp through fresh snow with high risk of avalanche. Getting back to base camp was one of the best feelings of my life. I sat down in my tent and thought I've finally done it!"
 tony 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Bloody good effort! Sounds like a bit of an ordeal. I'm sure he's looking forward to a pint ot two when he gets home.
Alan 02 Jun 2005
Fab news!!!

Well done Alan!!!!!!!!!!
 KeithW 02 Jun 2005

Great news, glad it's finally confirmed.

virgil 02 Jun 2005

nice work.
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jun 2005
Fantastic news and an incredible effort.
Much respect is due.Well done Alan!
Mick's Daughter @ Work 02 Jun 2005

That's brilliant news, well done Alan!!!!!!
 Dominion 02 Jun 2005

Well done, Alan!

Been a bit worried about the lack of confirmed news, since the rumours of him summitting the other day, and was wondering if he'd run into problems on the way back down...
Removed User 02 Jun 2005

Brilliant effort by the man; glad all are down OK.
 tim carruthers 02 Jun 2005
Were all 14 done without oxygen?
Alan 02 Jun 2005

Any news on Ran Fiennes attempt on North side of Everest?
OP Tom Briggs 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Alan:

Al's talking to Simon here in our office now...he sounds pretty chuffed!
In reply to Alan:

Ran's at camp 3 (7,900m), moving to camp 4 tomorrow (8,400m) and hoping to summit Saturday morning. Fingers crossed.
 graeme jackson 02 Jun 2005
In reply to tim carruthers:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
> Were all 14 done without oxygen?

Who cares? It's a Fcuking impressive feat anyway.
Tobs at work 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: congratulations alan. it took a lot of effort....
Alan 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for that.

A
chris tan XLIX 02 Jun 2005
> he sounds pretty chuffed!
He should be! Good effort!

Ridge 02 Jun 2005
Congratulations to Alan, hope it gets the recognition it deserves.
In reply to graeme jackson:
Not with gas, it isn't. That's like doing the Tour de France on a motorbike.
In reply to Ridge:

...quote from Al on the sat phone from BC "..maybe I'm the first to complete all 14 and still have all fingers and toes...!"
Sharket 02 Jun 2005

Well done mate...good on him
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
> Not with gas, it isn't. That's like doing the Tour de France on a motorbike.

Bollocks is it. It's not like he took a helicopter to the summits (as per your analogy). Bet you're just jealous really.
I'm seriously impressed with Alan's feat and he's a really nice bloke to boot.
Calm down. I just want to know if he did them with or without supplementary oxygen, that's all.
 smithaldo 02 Jun 2005

or the tour de france on drugs? mind you no riders would ever do that would they.
 Dominion 02 Jun 2005

It's common knowledge that he's used Oxygen.

Only 5 have done all 14 without supplementary oxygen, Ed Viesturs (sp?) being the latest, just a few weeks ago.
 smithaldo 02 Jun 2005
In reply to smithaldo:

and congratulations, one can't imagine the time and effort/ upheaval/family arguments doing something like that must require! and that's before the climbing starts.
 KeithW 02 Jun 2005

> ...quote from Al on the sat phone from BC "..maybe I'm the first to complete all 14 and still have all fingers and toes...!"

Not an inconsiderable feet (oh stop it..) in itself.

Hopefully "Look North" will report it correctly tonight (8,000metres, not feet). Unless of course there's been a chip pan fire in Halton.

:O

> Hopefully "Look North" will report it correctly tonight (8,000metres, not feet). Unless of course there's been a chip pan fire in Halton.

I haven't been home for quite a while. Is Mike Neville still the presenter and does he still wear that awful wig?

In reply to Dominion:
Thank you. In other words, he's climbed 14 peaks that are similar to the 14 highest but are, in fact, artificially lower. Only five people have actually achieved all 14 in good style.
In reply to tim carruthers: No. In fact He's climbed all 14 of the highest peaks but has used supplementary oxygen. Sad that someone has to diss Mr Hinkes for his achievment. typical of the British attitude to their heroes unfortunately
 Dominion 02 Jun 2005

Are you pretending that you didn't already know this and are just using this opportunity to make snide remarks and put someone - who you probably don't know - down?

Very small of you.
 dominic_s 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: made up for him, it's a fantastic ahievement.

Indeed. He went from 7,400m to the top, just him and his Sherpa (plus the last bit on his own). Clipping in to crappy 6mm lines left over from last year. No-one else on the mountain and in a blizzard at 6pm. Pretty strung out it sounds. Whatever your views on the use of supplemental oxygen, remember that Kanchenjunga is over 8,500m and he was up there basically on his own.
 GrahamD 02 Jun 2005

> (In reply to old skool) No. In fact He's climbed all 14 of the highest peaks but has used supplementary oxygen. Sad that someone has to diss Mr Hinkes for his achievment. typical of the British attitude to their heroes unfortunately

I would have thought that a discussion of the use, or otherwise, of oxygen was essential for putting this undeniably fine achievement into historical perspective.

Fine, the 'man in the street' might not care but climbers should.

kevin stephens 02 Jun 2005
I guess he'll be getting back to the grit now?
 Sean Kelly 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Well done Alan Hinkes. An awesome achievement! As he said he did come back with all his fingers and toes which is probably partly down to the use of oxygen. More than Messner and quite a few others. It is certainly one of the toughest physical endurance goals to attempt. Arise Sir Alan..?
 Martin W 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Dominion:

> Been a bit worried about the lack of confirmed news

Me too. Checked the Berghaus web site this morning but no update since 31st May (still hasn't been updated, unless our proxy is caching an old version). Glad to hear he's OK and that he made it. Sounds like he pushed just a little closer to the limit to get this last one finally "bagged".

Well done Alan!
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor) As he said he did come back with all his fingers and toes which is probably partly down to the use of oxygen.

Yes, I think these kind of subtleties are lost on those who feel the need to rubbish this awesome achievement.

It sounds like he stood on the top - which I thought climbers had agreed not to do, because it's a sacred mountain. I know Joe Brown and George Band stopped 10 below the top, on the first ascent, as agreed.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

10 feet.
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to old skool)
>
> Are you pretending that you didn't already know this and are just using this opportunity to make snide remarks and put someone - who you probably don't know - down?
>
> Very small of you.

Couldn't of put it better myself.

KeithW 02 Jun 2005

> Only five people have actually achieved all 14 in good style.

Unless you're one of those five, you'd best stop now, because you're making yourself look foolish.
In reply to GrahamD: Only when you or I have climbed all 14 peaks without the use of oxygen will we have the right to comment unfavourably on Alan Hinkes achievment. As it stands, bearing in mind we're both the wrong side of 40 to even start, I think that event is pretty unlikely. I think it's high time the british climbing fraternity applauded the gifted few who push themselves to their limits instead of nit-picking over the minutest detail.
BTW, i've nothing against top-ropers or boulderers either.
 KeithW 02 Jun 2005

> Is Mike Neville still the presenter and does he still wear that awful wig?

Not sure; but Harry Grayshon is still there, which tells you all you need to know.
 GrahamD 02 Jun 2005

Bollocks. Everyone has the right to discuss the historical context of the achievement (as you are doing here). Some people's opinions are more valid than others, of course, but most of the reading I've done places O2 less ascents way above O2 assisted ascents in difficulty/commitment. This is in no way nitpicking over minute detail - its important in the evolution of high altitude mountaineering.

Its also not to denigrate the achievement of having done all 14 summits. Not many people have done that.
Carpe Diem 02 Jun 2005

I think most climbers stopped doing that in the last 15-20 years, and went right to the top ( cant recall where i read it, but im pretty sure i did)
 koolkat 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: great achievment and all that and not meaning to put him down but, wasnt 1 of his ascents in doubt even to himself because of bad wether poor vis he wasnt sure if he made the true summit of 1 of them , may have been broad peak or shishpangma sure i read it some were ??? is there a 14 peaks website to check this info
grahamt 02 Jun 2005
Well done well done well done!!
sloper 02 Jun 2005
> (In reply to Dominion)
> Thank you. In other words, he's climbed 14 peaks that are similar to the 14 highest but are, in fact, artificially lower. Only five people have actually achieved all 14 in good style.

You're not telling me he top roped them are you, wouldn't have happened in my day
Removed User 02 Jun 2005
hey well done Alan, glad your back down safe. think you deserve a pint or two. hope Pasang was ok, good effot to him too, must a bin hard turning back so close.
 Ridge 02 Jun 2005
In reply to KeithW:

> Hopefully "Look North" will report it correctly tonight (8,000metres, not feet). Unless of course there's been a chip pan fire in Halton.

Even better, we have toddlers hanging playmates in Dewsbury. If they can involve animals and a chip pan fire in that then Mr Hinkes has no chance.
fritz 02 Jun 2005

Best news I've heard in ages - good on you Alan. Here's hoping they have a full on welcome back here in home town, well deserved, bloody glad you did it in your 'no mountains worth a life' style. Excellent achievement, bar nothing.
 Ridge 02 Jun 2005

Hot off BBC North Ceefax

1. Toddler hung in Dewsbury.
2. Bloke gets kicking in Bratfud.
3. Sheffield Wednesday to build houses on training ground.
4. Bridlington Spa to get refurbished.
5. Flying Scotsman breaks down on day trip to Scarborough.
6. Alan Hinkes becomes first Briton to climb 14 8000m peaks....
 GrahamD 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Ridge:

More coverage than the first ascent of Kanch got, by all accounts !
random gary 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: well in alan, chuffed to bits for ya mate

Can someone grab a copy of facing up and type that quote near the start for old school here

> It sounds like he stood on the top - which I thought climbers had agreed not to do

I hope he did, otherwise those sad acts at mounteverest.net will say he didn't reach the top of Kangch. either... They're quoting this as his '13th 8000er': http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkessummitsKangchenjungaJun22005.sh...

"oh, that doesn't count: another snowflake landed after you descended, so our statisticians won't 'officially confirm' that you reached the true summit"...
In reply to random gary:
Thank you for your concern about my ignorance. It is misplaced.
All summiteers of an 8000 metre peak, with or without oxygen, have accomplished something that is both difficult and rewarding; however, only those climbers who summit without oxygen are the truly accomplished mountaineers.
Norton reached 8600 metres on Everest without oxygen as early as 1922. Messner (one of the five referred to above) argued forcefully against using supplementary oxygen, saying it results in downgrading Everest to a 20,000-foot mountain. In effect, it lowers the physiological height of a peak.
The headlines should read: "Hinkes climbs all 14 8000 metre peaks with oxygen" to avoid any confusion (c/f "new E10 top-roped to death then led with three mats, ab rope in situ and a team of spotters" rather than "new E10 climbed"). Just my opinion. But not just my opinion.
PaulHack 02 Jun 2005
> The headlines should read: "Hinkes climbs all 14 8000 metre peaks with oxygen" to avoid any confusion Just my opinion. But not just my opinion.

Why????? He hasn't used o2 on all 14......Get your facts right before expressing your opinions.

Well done Alan!!! Very impressive and well deserved after all you have put into it.
Can't wait for for your next lecture tour
Removed User 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: I wait for some prat to complain he didn't do the true (sit down) start.
 mattdown 02 Jun 2005
mounteverest.net are trying to say he lied when he claimed to have climbed Cho oyu just because liz hawley of adventurestats doesn't have a record of it!?!

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkessummitsKangchenjungaJun22005.sh...

Surely you're not going to have climbed that many 8000m peaks to start lying about what peaks you've climbed. What do other people think?
 Kimono 02 Jun 2005
Many congratulations Alan, great news and a great achievement!!!
layback larry 02 Jun 2005
In reply to mattdown: Ahhh and liz hawley now plays god with the mountaineers. What has she climbed except for Sir Edmund hillary! ! ! !
In reply to PaulHack:
I apologise for that if it was indeed inaccurate. Which has he done gas free?
layback larry 02 Jun 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem: Those respectful japanese were the first to desregard the nepalese wishes and stand on the top of kangchenjunga, i'm suprised they havn't climbed Machhupuurche just to rub it in!
 KeithW 02 Jun 2005
> (In reply to PaulHack)
> I apologise for that if it was indeed inaccurate. Which has he done gas free?

You still haven't told us how many you've done - with or without gas...

Jane 03 Jun 2005
In reply to tim carruthers: All but Everest when he was actually guiding Brian Blessed
Mr Rain 03 Jun 2005

Well Done Alan!

Congratulations!
Wingman@work 03 Jun 2005
In reply to layback larry:

According the the Telegraph (!?) he stopped just short of summit for respectful religious reasons.
elephantspittle 03 Jun 2005

A superb achievement I say. I get dizzy just going up Roseberry Topping!

Who cares about O2, we all use it, all the time.

Are their any other Brits trying to achieve the same thing?

Great stuff! Well done Alan.
 Ridge 03 Jun 2005
In reply to mattdown:
> mounteverest.net are trying to say he lied when he claimed to have climbed Cho oyu just because liz hawley of adventurestats doesn't have a record of it!?!
>
> http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkessummitsKangchenjungaJun22005.sh...
>
> Surely you're not going to have climbed that many 8000m peaks to start lying about what peaks you've climbed. What do other people think?

Given the snotty tone of the article I don't think much of it at all. Since when has it been compulsory to have a team of independant witnesses stood on top with you?

jay76 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: But what has he done on grit ???
 Ridge 03 Jun 2005
In reply to jay76:
At least HVS as far as I know.
 tony 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Jane:
> (In reply to old skool) All but Everest when he was actually guiding Brian Blessed

Not ony guiding but also acting as cameraman - the combined responsibilities may well have had an influence on his use of oxygen.
 'Hilda' 03 Jun 2005
Fantastic achievement! But what recognition will he get?

I am amazed at the complete lack of any mention of this fantastic achievement on any news programme (none that I've seen anyway). Just goes to show that television is totally obsessed by 'celebrities' rather than people who push themselves to the limit and achieve their ultimate goals. It probably explains why our socitey is f***** up and self obsessed!

Martin W 03 Jun 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': I just heard Alan interviewed on the Today programme, via sat phone from Kangch base camp - it should be available to listen again via the Radio 4 web site soon. He said he pushed it a bit to get this one, summitting at 7pm in a storm. Came across very well and sounded like a nice guy, not matching at all the image of him that sometimes gets promulgated. Well done again, Alan, great job.
 'Hilda' 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Martin W: Thanks for letting me know. I'll listen in soon.
HartlepoolGuy 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Martin W:
I can't believe that some people can actually put him down for using Oxygen I put it down to plain old Jelousy just ebcause someone is better than you, its like being in a school playground this forumn sometimes(i am talking about the minority).

Well done Alan i jumped and shouted for joy when i heard the very quick story on the radio news this morning so glad he's down safe and finally finished his quest.
I think he should deffinately get some recognition for what he has done like Elen McArthur did, deffinately in the same league as her in my book.
I'll Queue for lecture tickets now shall I.....
 KeithW 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Martin W:

I caught the end of the Today interview in the car. Loved his answer to Jim Naughtie's question: What next? "Can't wait to get back to Yorkshire!" Good man.
 sutty 03 Jun 2005

A great achievement, and also a great one forhis partner who has been with him on many of the trips. He seems to be forgotten largely in all the praise, but Alan needed him at times;

It was about 9pm when I caught up with Pasang but with no head torch it was difficult to locate him and I honestly thought he was dead. It was with great elation that I found him and we got back to the bivvy site around 27 hours after setting off on 31 May.

It looks like he was pushing to get it done in spite of the weather and was very lucky they both came back alive.
 CarolineMc 03 Jun 2005

It's absolutely brilliant news. Glad he's down safely, too. Well done, Alan!
 sutty 03 Jun 2005
In reply to sutty:

Just done a live interview on local radio and reckons he pushed a bit too hard as it was the last one.
'Bloody silly' was his comment. Now he is looking forward to a rest, and climbing at Almscliffe. the bloke has no taste.
 GrahamD 03 Jun 2005
In reply to HartlepoolGuy:

> I can't believe that some people can actually put him down for using Oxygen

Who is putting him down - its a great achievement ? all people are trying to do is get the perspective correct. The style of ascent is just as important in high altitude mountaineering as it is in any other branch of climbing.
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jun 2005
In reply to GrahamD:
The great high-altitude mountaineer called old skool for starters.
 tim carruthers 03 Jun 2005
In reply to tony:
All the others done oxygen free, then? Outstanding.
 Rubbishy 03 Jun 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

Virtually a full page in today's Torygraph and on the BBC website.

Bloody good effort, if only to be able to keep gplugging away over the years.

As for the oxygen debate, a single 8000m peak on gas might not be a fantastic acheivement, but all of them, gas or not is a hell of an achievement. I have only got to 22.000 feet and that was bloody hard work, so I can only imagine what it must be like further up, before the mask goes on

I met him years ago and he came across as a likeable bloke.

Well chuffed for him.
 KeithW 03 Jun 2005
In reply to John Rushby:

<<threadjack>>

You going to try & beat Ellen MacArthur's time across the Channel, John?

Rubbishy 03 Jun 2005
In reply to KeithW:

After last weeks performance I could only beat her if I was in a stink boat.
 sutty 03 Jun 2005
In reply to John Rushby:

>Virtually a full page in today's Torygraph and on the BBC website

Where, not even a mention on here, or the 7.34 edition I just wiped;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/default.stm

Rubbishy 03 Jun 2005
In reply to sutty:

It was.

Page 4 of the Slopergraph
 hutchm 03 Jun 2005
In reply to John Rushby:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4603647.stm

First with the news! (Only slight hint of personal bias there...)

Plus a follow up today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4603647.stm
 Ridge 03 Jun 2005
In reply to sutty:
He's had his 30 seconds of fame, (on BBC internet, didn't see anything on TV), now the media can get on with the important things like chip pan fires and Big Brother Celebrity Detox.
Offa 03 Jun 2005
Well done Alan! Heard the news on BBC Radio 4 this a.m. Excellent interview. Proud of a fellow Yorkshireman.
 hutchm 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Ridge:

Indeed. Crap studies about power lines and, err... stories about folk getting wed on top of Everest...
Mick's Daughter @ Work 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to old skool)
>
> Are you pretending that you didn't already know this and are just using this opportunity to make snide remarks and put someone - who you probably don't know - down?
>
> Very small of you.

I totally agree. It's an amazing achievement. If it was really 'no big deal' to do it with suplimental O2 I suspect the 8000m challenge would have been completed by a lot more than just 13 people.
Dnwsmith 03 Jun 2005

quite an incredible acheivement, and one well deserved.

an inspiring man.

congratulations
 Carless 03 Jun 2005
In reply to all:

Bloody well done Alan - fine achievement.

Have to say I don't understand why you're all having such a go at Old Skool. He's merely making the valid point (ok - slightly aggressively at the start) that doing all 14 O2 free is more impressive than using O2.
Peter Eldrett 03 Jun 2005
Excellent news. Well done Al. Now have a well deserved rest and a few beers. Many congratulations.
Paul Beadle 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Well done Alan.

No doubt a hearty welcome awaites you at your local indoor wall when you get back. We have all watched you training hard and focused oveer that past few years.
David Crooks 03 Jun 2005

AFAIK the only peaks he's used supplementary oxygen on are Everest and this one - on Everest it was provided, as he was working as a cameraman, and on this one it was provided free by a sponsor. On all the other occasions he was unable to afford it. There was also an issue with weight - on Kanch he was intending to use one of the new lightweight "up-the-nose" systems.
 Tom G 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Ridge:
> Congratulations to Alan, hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Funny you should say that - Mounteverest.Net are already nitpicking about Cho Oyu

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkesKangchenjunga-13or14May132005.s...
 Tom G 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom G:

Er - congrats by the way. I'm not flaming - I see it as fourteen but the tabloid websites are being shites about it
princess 03 Jun 2005
when he got down he thought "know i'll start to do some proper climbing..."
fritz 03 Jun 2005
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4605897.stm latest suggestion, agreed ? Gets my vote !
 gavinj 03 Jun 2005
In reply:
> Funny you should say that - Mounteverest.Net are already nitpicking about Cho Oyu
>
> http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkesKangchenjunga-13or14May132005.s...

I just looked at the AdventureStats website - there are 23 mountaineers who have climbed 10-13 of the 8000s, 9 of which have claimed summits not independently verified! Therefore it is far from unusual for 8000m mountaineers to have at least 1 not fully verified ascent. To question the ascent of what is regarded as one of the 'easiest' 8000s seems to smack of sour grapes. What a load of bollocks
 Dan1 03 Jun 2005
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
> Not with gas, it isn't. That's like doing the Tour de France on a motorbike.

There's always one tosser making a bollocks comment.

Dan1
CarolineJulia20 03 Jun 2005

Hi everyone, on behalf of Alan and all at Berghaus just want to say thanks for all your messages of support they have been great. We have hit everywhere with the news and it is starting to feed through as he deserves. The Telegraph piece was great, also a bit in the Independent and a mention online from the Guardian and Express. There will be more in the press over the weekend I've no doubt. He has spoken to all the major news channels so keep your eyes peeled. Thanks again for your kind words and I'll pass them on to Alan.
Carpe Diem 03 Jun 2005
In reply to CarolineJulia20:

Its on ITV news in a moment!!

Once again...... Brillaint, brilliant achievment!!
kanchman 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Fantastic achievement by Alan. He was unlucky not to summit on Kanch in 2000 when he was with the team I was with on the mountain so it is great to see him finally succeed and complete the Challenge. It is a great priviledge to have been with him on two of the 8,000ers, he is a man of tremendous courage.
 Dominion 03 Jun 2005
> Thanks again for your kind words and I'll pass them on to Alan.

In that case, could you please pass on my congratulations to Alan. Well done, and he'll already know to ignore the armchair critics that stick their heads up above their tummies with ignorant put-downs.

A great achievement, and not one that many could either do, or stick to over that length of time. And a very personal achievement, too, despite it being in the public eye. And I suspect that's all he really cares about.
 tim carruthers 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Dominion:
I am informed by an outraged supporter that he only used oxygen on Everest and Kanch. Ity appears that an apology is in order, as I wrongfully assumed that he'd used gas on all 14. Sorry. Well done. Carry on.

lochin 03 Jun 2005

I'm sorry, I really don't get your point. As Dominion says the only thing that Alan will care about is the personal achievement. He had a dream and he's fulfilled it, and that's why congratulations are due. Many of us have had similar dreams but not the backbone to live them, it's nice to see someone who has that commitment and courage.

Doing all fourteen peaks without oxygen would be a greater achievement in terms of style and being elite. However to say that the use of oxygen diminishes his record is wrong, that's why we normally add the phrase 'without', rather than use a diminutive 'with'.

Well done Alan Hinkes. I hope you can make a few bob from this you deserve it.
mattl 03 Jun 2005

congratulations al what a fantastic achievement. glad to see he got some recognition on the national news is evening
ids5678 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom
> Funny you should say that - Mounteverest.Net are already nitpicking about Cho Oyu
>
> http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkesKangchenjunga-13or14May132005.s...

That's unintentionally quite funny. "However, there is no official confirmation on Alan reaching the actual summit of Cho Oyu." WTF is "official confirmation"? Was he supposed to get a "This is to certify that Alan Hinkes climbed Cho Oyu" certificate from the summit cafe, like on Snowdon?

kevin stephens 04 Jun 2005

congratulatins, great achievement

I guess a lot of the subtext behind many comment above is Stevie Hastons tirades against Alan Hinkes' ethics and possibly honesty?

I know nothing being an armchair (high altitude) mountaineer and have no knowledge on which to take sides, but are there questions to be answered/views to be reconciled?
 sutty 04 Jun 2005
In reply to kevin stephens:

if you want confirmation of all ascents of routes you will wipe out half the routes ever done as they often were done with one partner who may not have a camera.

Hinkes said he did it and it is good enough for me, even if he stood ten feet below the summit as a mark of respect for other peoples gods.
Colin Barwell 04 Jun 2005
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Well done Alan full respect! Pity the occasion had to be an excuse to start slagging each other, as is so usual here.
In reply to Colin Barwell:
> Pity the occasion had to be an excuse to start slagging each other, as is so usual here.

That seems a rather odd comment - have you read the thread? There are 117 posts on this thread, of these one person asked a question which was interpreted as negative - and he has now apologised.

Colin Barwell 04 Jun 2005
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC: So sorry I did not say everyone and I did not mean specifically this thread. Please accept my apology.
 mat_galvin 04 Jun 2005
Bloomin Nora-just read the details from different sources including...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4605897.stm

What an epic. Sir Hinkes n'est pas?
miles 04 Jun 2005

bloody well done, soon to be sir Hinkes i should hope.
Carpe Diem 04 Jun 2005
In reply to miles:
>
> bloody well done, soon to be sir Hinkes i should hope.

Sir Alan, you mean...........
 malk 04 Jun 2005

well done hinkes

any newspaper coverage?- i've only seen todays times recently
no hinkes but there is a full page spread on fiennes failing on everest
 TobyA 04 Jun 2005

> As ever, on reaching the summit, Hinkes took out a photo of his daughter Fiona and his grandson Jay to have his summit photos taken. Hinkes has undertaken this ritual on every one of his successful summit expeditions.

Does Alan have just the one daughter? If so I feel very old as I remember when I first starting seeing Alan in the mags on the top 8000 mtr peaks with him holding a picture of little girl - but now it seems she's a mum!

A fine effort.
CarolineJulia20 04 Jun 2005

There was a large article in Friday's Telegraph with a strip in the Independent. Today he has had a short interview in the Independent and a couple of short pieces in the Express, Sun and Mirror. The Observer/Guardian have also mentioned him in their online news. He has been on all the national and satellite news channels over the last few days at various points too.
In reply to TobyA:

Yes Alan has just the one daughter called Fiona, she's lovely and her little son is adorable.
In reply to malk:

I think the Times have had exclusive updates from the Jagged Globe team I may be wrong but there has been quite a few articles over the past few weeks.
Ruth P 04 Jun 2005

Well Done Alan!

Shame he didn’t get a lot of coverage in the press, unlike Ranulph Fiennes, whose failed attempt to summit Everest appears to have received lots of coverage. This is especially bad as it's the 50th Anniversary of the first summit of Kangchenjunga.

Anything coverage in the Sunday Papers?
 Mikek 05 Jun 2005
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
>
> Anything coverage in the Sunday Papers?

on p27 Observer Comment, The Observer Profile Alan Hinkes by Jamie Doward.
Half page, informative, thought it was quite good, bearing in mind the way the press usually responds, as mentioned earlier.
Mike
CarolineJulia20 05 Jun 2005

Small comment in the Express too.
 Norrie Muir 05 Jun 2005
> (In reply to Humphrey Jungle)
> Small comment in the Express too.

Dear Coroline

I never noticed anything in the Sunday Times.

I did notice a nice photo of Jake Meyer wearing a Mountain Hard Wear down suit on top of Everest, do you think Jake had better sponsors and PR than Alan?
 Reds 06 Jun 2005
In reply to tim carruthers: So the high death rate on these "artificially low" mountains doesn't impress you? It's a fine achievement.
 tim carruthers 06 Jun 2005
In reply to Reds:
re: So the high death rate on these "artificially low" mountains doesn't impress you?
NO. Why should I be impressed by a high death rate?
re:It's a fine achievement.
YES. I agree. There are better, though.
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Yeah - didn't see anything in there either (bar the huge page 2 article on the youngest british 7 summiter and a bit on Fiennes truning back).

Surely Als achievement deserves much better.
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2005

Its probably true in any branch of sport. If its not football, its not newsworthy.
 James FR 06 Jun 2005
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor) Well done Alan full respect! Pity the occasion had to be an excuse to start slagging each other, as is so usual here.

What I want to know is, why aren't there any anti-Munro bagger types complaining about the arbitrary demarcation of mountains over 8000m! I mean, Ben Uhdlijdjfif in the Lower Higher Uplands might only be 473.56m high but fewer people have climbed that than have walked on Mars, just because it has less than 34 feet and 2 inches of height difference on seven of its eight sides, thereby escaping the classification of a "Rodney" (mountains between 473m and 481.4m). However in the November 1879 edition of the...

ok, I'll stop there (sorry, quiet day at work)
In reply to jimbo g:

The Rodney: the mark of a truly great summit.
CarolineJulia20 08 Jun 2005
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to CarolineJulia20)
> [...]
>
> Dear Coroline
>
> I never noticed anything in the Sunday Times.
>
> I did notice a nice photo of Jake Meyer wearing a Mountain Hard Wear down suit on top of Everest, do you think Jake had better sponsors and PR than Alan?

Hi Norrie

We at Berghaus are his main sponsors and everyone has put an exceptional amount of time and effort since the 1980s into supporting Alan. (Even more so in the last year and running up to this expedition.) The phones didn't stop ringing in the run up to his summit and for two/three days once we issued the news. He did appear on every national and satellite news channel, as the daily news develops however it means you don't always appear on every single bulletin throughout the day. I am sure in the coming weeks you will see more coverage of Alan as the interest is most definately there but we need to give him chance to get home to the UK before many avenues can be pursued.
 Norrie Muir 08 Jun 2005
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
We at Berghaus are his main sponsors....
He did appear on every national and satellite news channel, as the daily news develops however it means you don't always appear on every single bulletin throughout the day. I am sure in the coming weeks you will see more coverage of Alan

Dear Caroline

I did not know that you sponsored Alan. I too was sponsored by your company in 1973, for going to climb in South America. I only watch Italian and Spanish football on satellite TV; On the Ball on radio and buy and read the Clydebank Post and Sunday Times newspapers. I will donate £5.00 to a charity of your choice, if, I read about Alan in a leading article in the Clydebank Post.

Norrie

PS Sorry I spelt your name wrong in the earlier post.

'Arris 08 Jun 2005
> (In reply to Reds)
> > re:It's a fine achievement.
> YES. I agree. There are better, though.

did anyone suggest there weren't more impressive achievements? from what i can see people were just congratulating him on his achieving his goal. Is there any need to compare his achievements to others?

Erik B 09 Jun 2005
In reply to Norrie Muir: the nearest I ever got to getting sponsorship was when I wrote a letter to Irn Bru asking them if they could supply me with Irn Brew chews for that winter season (my staple hill fodder at the time). But they didnt send me any chews but they did send me some rather naff T-shirts which I now use to clean the bog. I was considering asking Lion (of sports mixture fame) but I was recently devastated to learn that Sports Mixtures have now been bought over by Maynard (of wine gums fame) and they have changed sports mixtures to be like wine gums. They have even changed the blacks to be blackcurrant, total sacrilege!!

Well done to Alan Hinkes, amazing effort, recent tragic events on Everest have highlighted how serious a proposition climbing one 8000m peak is let alone all of them.
leo of aviemore 10 Jun 2005
well done mr hinkes, sir i had the honour to go walking with you in glencoe at a berghaus sponsered event and found your company both pleasant and interesting although you are slightly mad, too much time above 8000m i suppose. all the best for the future and it would be my great pleasure to bump into you on my home patch, the cairngorms should the chance arise.
p.s i'm really pleased for you and british mountainnering
the_chapati_of_doom 10 Jun 2005

I did my best but it wasn't good enough.
wayneh 17 Jun 2005
Congratulations (Sir) Alan! I hope you are now finally recognised for your efforts over the last 20 years. Forget Becks, Rooney and Henman-you get my vote for BBC Sports Personality of the Year!!
Carpe Diem 17 Jun 2005

Is he back in the UK yet?
shagger 17 Jun 2005
In reply to wayneh:

> Congratulations (Sir) Alan! I hope you are now finally recognised for your efforts over the last 20 years.

couldn't agree with you more! He is a monumental figure in the history of british.....even world mountaineering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...