Scrambles in west mids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey does anyone know any scrambles in the West Midlands ?

In reply to Cneifion Arête:

Yes!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?g=12&loc=West+Midlands+&dis...

Climbs 5
Rocktype Crumbly rubbish

North east and south west sides of the intersection. Best climbed not during peak traffic hour.

sounds enticing...!

Post edited at 22:38
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

thank you is that grade 3 route ok for a solo climb ?

TobyA 11 Aug 2020

Flight of the Fruit Bat (D) Take a torch and crack on.

No idea, AEITB. I personally wouldn’t climb on a bridge constructed out of ‘crumbly rubbish’ near a busy road at all. The other routes have bouldering grades, and built structures don’t really lend themselves to leader placed protection. The ‘scramble’ also has a rather unusual route description. Maybe someone on here knows more about it- but overall it doesn’t look like the West Midlands is fertile ground for scrambling. 

Oh that don’t sound the best is there any in the licky hills

In reply to TobyA:

Is it a solo

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?g=12&loc=Lickey+hills&dist=...

doesn’t look like it. 

but I’m not from the Midlands. Someone more local may know more. 

Oh ok well thanks for helping 

Misha 11 Aug 2020

Oh come on, that is actually a silly question. There aren’t really any summer scrambles in the Peak, never mind the Midlands. 

In reply to Misha:

There is in the peaks u got stuff like wildbrough clough and some boring grade 1s and fun dangerous ridges like elbow ridge and Matterhorn ridge 

Suncream 12 Aug 2020

I've never found anywhere in the lickeys worth using a hand at all. In the Malverns and the Shropshire hills you can find some low grade climbs that you might solo if you were slightly more experienced, say Pontesford, but honestly mate I wouldn't bother, indoor climbing would probably be more rewarding.

TobyA 12 Aug 2020

I've only ever done it solo. 

webbo 12 Aug 2020

> There is in the peaks u got stuff like wildbrough clough and some boring grade 1s and fun dangerous ridges like elbow ridge and Matterhorn ridge 

If you know about these how come you are continually asking inept questions scrambling routes.

you are not so green as cabbage looking.

Andy Clarke 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Suncream:

>  you can find some low grade climbs that you might solo if you were slightly more experienced, say Pontesford, but honestly mate I wouldn't bother, indoor climbing would probably be more rewarding.

Indoor climbing more rewarding than soloing at such a charming crag as Pontesford? What sacrilege. I spent a lovely morning doing exactly that yesterday. Quintessentially English views, local peregrines and a shady woodland approach. Beats baking inside with a bunch of sweaty punters trying to get motivated for one more burn on the fluoro 6b.

Greenbanks 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Climbing/scambling anywhere outdoors is surely more aesthetically rewarding.

bouldery bits 12 Aug 2020

youtube.com/watch?v=UwV9JZc9MIA&

There's always the Bull Ring! 🐂

Seriously, there's no scrambling of value in West Mids. 

Suncream 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I had a pleasant enough day soloing there but for aeitb I don't think I can recommend he drives out, bashing through the brambles to work out the one line he might be ok on, for 40m of scrambling. If he wants to develop climbing skills IMO he's better off indoors for now, or finding someone to take him roped climbing.

Andy Clarke 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Suncream:

I take the point that you're giving individual advice but being relatively local and a fan of Pontesford, I will point out that there are in fact three good Mods, all on the clean slabby West Buttress, all starred, none of them requiring the least bit of bramble bashing and so offering a lot more than 40m of scrambling/easy climbing. In fact, the best thing about the brambles at Pontesford at this time of year is that they're laden with ripe blackberries. But I'll shut up now because I'd prefer the crowds to stay away! 

Greenbanks 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Pontesford - excellent venue. I first encountered its praises being sung by E.C. Pyatt, many moons ago: "Where to Climb in the British Isles" in 1960. At £3.59 a second-hand punt (Amazon - other outlets are available) AEITB could do worse than shelling out the dosh. rather than making a monkey of himself on here (again).

Not trying to persuade you to do anything as I don't know your experience base etc. but if you want a copy of the 1995 Pontesford guide in pdf I have one I can e-mail to you

Dr.S at work 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Greenbanks:

Yes - the mod (?) route up the middle of the wall is a good option, and there are some isolated bits and bobs off the the left of the main crag.

I would have thought that anything found in a none mountainous area could be more accurately categorised as mucking about on rocks rather than serious scrambling and almost bound to be a big disappointment after something like the N.Ridge of Tryfan for example.  Or is that me being a bit elitist and/or ignorant of the scrambing disciplne?

Al

Wingnut 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Suncream:

>>I've never found anywhere in the lickeys worth using a hand at all

There's those concrete "boulders" by the children's playground? (o::

Lankyman 12 Aug 2020

> Hey does anyone know any scrambles in the West Midlands ?

Gary Gibson's done loads of scrambles round Stoke and that's nearby. Ask him.

Dom Goodwin 12 Aug 2020

Here's one I invented. It's rather discontinuous, linking a few little bits of rock with some intervening grassy/vegetated slopes. Certainly not classic, hardly worth travelling for, but entertaining enough if you are already in the area, or to combine with a walk in the Malverns.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/ivy_scar_rock-1071/doms_route-4832...

In reply to bouldery bits:

Hmmm what grade is it looks fun

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Ima give it a go

profitofdoom 12 Aug 2020

> Ima give it a go

OK. Then we'll all get ready for your new threads asking about scrambles in Kent, The Norfolk Broads, and Essex. Can't wait

In reply to profitofdoom:

Na na I ent that dumb g

The crag is a bridge where us uni students have put up some boulders for fun. I guess you could place pro but not really needed as a pad would do just fine.

The 'scramble' is attempting to walk through Andre, fetch the butter (f3+) the catch is that it is very tight and so far noone has been able to get through - hence grade 3.

Would not want to even bother with this unless you are stuck in Leamington Spa for extended periods of time.

In reply to Francesco Di Lallo:

Thanks- and a candidate for the ‘best route name’ on the other thread!

Dark-Cloud 13 Aug 2020

Your spelling would suggest otherwise...

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

What does spelling got to with mountains 

Dark-Cloud 13 Aug 2020

It was in reply to this:

>Na na I ent that dumb g

> What does spelling got to with mountains 

I'm sorry, can you repeat that in English please ?

Post edited at 15:48
 mattck 13 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> >Na na I ent that dumb g

> I'm sorry, can you repeat that in English please ?

"No, no. One isn't that dumb, gangster."

In reply to mattck:

Huh g don’t mean gangster 😂😂😂😂

mattck 13 Aug 2020

What do you think it stands for then?

profitofdoom 13 Aug 2020
In reply to mattck:

> What do you think it stands for then?

Maybe hitting the "g" key after the "b", by mistake?

In reply to mattck:

It’s like saying my guy like u would say yo g wanna get pizza or u could say wys g 

Lankyman 13 Aug 2020

> It’s like saying my guy like u would say yo g wanna get pizza or u could say wys g 

Are you Ali G's son?

In reply to Lankyman:

No, he’s the reincarnation of Faffer Got Gunz....

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

No need to be rude.

He's only a kid.

profitofdoom 13 Aug 2020

> It’s like saying my guy like u would say yo g wanna get pizza or u could say wys g 

OK, thanks a lot for clearing that up

Lankyman 13 Aug 2020

> No, he’s the reincarnation of Faffer Got Gunz....

>

Don't know the chap. Was he another purveyor of cod black American gangster-speak?

In reply to Lankyman:

> Don't know the chap. Was he another purveyor of cod black American gangster-speak?

Yup.

though when I searched for that, he’s currently banned, so this’ll probably be zapped by the mods...

Misha 13 Aug 2020

> It’s like saying my guy like u would say yo g wanna get pizza

I would just say “wanna get pizza?”, which saves on two syllables or three letters if you’re writing it, so must be way cooler. Or even just “pizza?”. However I wouldn’t deserve pizza after doing a scramble in the West Midlands as it would involve little or no effort. Not Cuillin Ridges here unfortunately. 

In reply to Misha:

I’m jelous of people who live in glen coe must be so lucky to climb curved ridge every day and Aonach Eagach how relaxing anyways tommorow I’m going up a waterfall scar thing in Yorkshire a easy grade 1 scramble then going to the thing Harry Potter was filmed and on the Saturday I’m going up pinnacle ridge st Sunday crag so I do climb mountians 

oh god even I found that cringe but anyway most normal people speak like that nowadays ygm g

In reply to Misha:

That don’t sound right 

Misha 14 Aug 2020

> oh god even I found that cringe but anyway most normal people speak like that nowadays ygm g

No, most people don’t speak or write like that. 

Donotello 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Misha:

These threads are becoming a shit show. AEITB is the 3rd most active poster on this forum and the 1 & 2 poster are staff members. 

As previously mentioned there are people people paying money to support this website as well as pop up banners begging for help yet the websites most prolific Forum poster is someone potentially trolling everyone, using teenage street slang.

Gotta say tho it is entertaining, for now.

In reply to Donotello:

Uhhh it annoys me so much when people say mans a troll I’m really not I just wanted genuine helpful info on scrambles in west mids then I’ve got people taking the piss out of me 

profitofdoom 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> ......yet the websites most prolific Forum poster is someone potentially trolling everyone, using teenage street slang.

> Gotta say tho it is entertaining, for now.

"potentially"?!?!

Thank you for your comment

However, for me, it is not at all "entertaining". It is annoying, time-wasting garbage

McHeath 14 Aug 2020

Listen mate: you're on a forum with hundreds of active posters, the vast majority of whom are active, experienced and good to very good climbers. The majority are also more than willing to help anyone starting out. The patience is starting to wear thin though; you've asked questions such as

- is rock slippery when wet?

- (as a complete beginner) do I need a rope on the Matterhorn?

As a grade 1 scrambler, you state that Tower Ridge is "easy", although you've never done it. You announce that you're going to climb Monte Rosa, Mont Blanc, the Eiger or the Matterhorn and then admit that you're hopelessly unfit. Quite honestly: if you approach climbing or hard scrambling in this way, you stand a good chance of never making it to your 18th birthday. 

We're all more than willing to help, but only if we get the feeling that you're willing to put some effort in yourself. Get some books from the library, go on a course. Do some independent googling (guide costs for alpine peaks) before you spray this forum with random questions. 

We've all been at the stage where we were young, starting out, passionate about the mountains and desperate to get out and do harder stuff; the last two points still apply to most of us. If you posted about a tenth of the present volume, but read and thought more about the subject before doing so, you'd be pleasantly surprised at how your reception on here would change. 

Greenbanks 14 Aug 2020
In reply to McHeath:

Agreed. The AEITB persona makes me long for the times of DJ Viper...

> Is it a solo

Don't you have any friends?

Dark-Cloud 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

>No need to be rude.

>He's only a kid.

I don't think that came across as rude really did it ? Didn't mean to, perhaps i missed a

Post edited at 08:33
 profitofdoom 14 Aug 2020
In reply to McHeath:

> ..............you stand a good chance of never making it to your 18th birthday.........

But I reckon he/she is a bored time-wasting adult, possible age (at a guess) 45-50. PS I'm not joking, the Internet is littered with such people

Lankyman 14 Aug 2020

> But I reckon he/she is a bored time-wasting adult, possible age (at a guess) 45-50. PS I'm not joking, the Internet is littered with such people

Be careful. He's a rapper and they have guns and a crew. U is gonna get it innit. Either that or he'll get his dad on to you.

profitofdoom 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Be careful. He's a rapper and they have guns and a crew. U is gonna get it innit. Either that or he'll get his dad on to you.

Oh no I never thought of that I'm going into hiding (in France)

McHeath 14 Aug 2020

> But I reckon he/she is a bored time-wasting adult, possible age (at a guess) 45-50. PS I'm not joking, the Internet is littered with such people

He says he's 14, but you could be right - just wanted to give it one final go before stopping bothering to read AEITB's threads and going climbing instead  

Billhook 14 Aug 2020

At 14 how do you manage to get about?  I can't believe your dad drives you anywhere you wish.

Misha 14 Aug 2020

> I just wanted genuine helpful info on scrambles in west mids then I’ve got people taking the piss out of me 

I'm not generally one for taking the piss out of people I don't know but, as I said above, it is actually a silly question. There are no scrambles in the Midlands because there are no mountains. At least not anything you could reasonably call a scramble. A Mod at Pontesford is not a scramble, it's an easy route. It's true that a scramble can be as hard as or even harder than a Mod but that's not my point. The point is that a scramble, in the conventional sense, is something you find in a mountainous area and is relatively long. So perhaps it's a question of terminology.

If you asked for recommendations of very easy routes in the Midlands which could reasonably be soloed, that would have been a sensible question (though the answer would be that there are very few and you might as well go further afield and solo easy routes on the grit in the Peak - incidentally, grit is a much more suitable medium for soloing as it's relatively solid).

Misha 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Be careful gs a rapper and they have guns n a crew. g u is gonna get it innit either that or hell get his dad on to u g.

FTFY

Lankyman 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Misha:

> FTFY

Yo bro u da man

Ridge 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Agreed. The AEITB persona makes me long for the times of DJ Viper...

Has anyone mentioned a warm up on Mount Ogwen followed by Indian Face to aeitb? Could be just what he's looking for.

profitofdoom 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Yo bro u da man

Yo 'sup bruvva what ya throwin on? what up? what tha dilly yo? I want to axe howiz da bigga muvva and fadda dey back in london, dey get low in chill out and slow down yo dat’s what they’re yellin’ fa shizzle aight. I be over here. I told you this befo' he's da' man whas goin' down? back it up like, juke juke. Sheffield is da bomb but I chillin' an fixin' to bust out, do a busta move to Spain dat is bumpin'. roll out bo janglin' koolin' it an kickin' it, I love dis, i'm down. listen to my flow dis is fo' you

peace out, just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan

x

Misha 14 Aug 2020

u ok g? that makes no sense.

profitofdoom 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Misha:

> u ok g? that makes no sense.

Hip Hop, bruvva

Donotello 14 Aug 2020

You used punctuation so you failed. Aenoch would spit that full speed no breaths and have half the forum audience having palpitations trying to read it. 

A paragraph from Aenoch in his prime is as deadly to pensioners as the Rona.

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Not really no 

Yo my g that’s hard still ima make a mountain song here we go 

ay ay I climb these mountains like 

u can say I’m really high on life 

mans to fly ay

climb these mountains like tower ridge 

baby climb a grade 3 with me 

i will protect u all night like a knight 

U really a keeper know that cuz u be climbing these mountains without ropes like Cneifion Arête ayo 

sorry that I put u through stress lately I been so god dam depressed yo 

I know I’m not perfect and I’m not worth it

anyway rate that out of 1 to 10

Lankyman 16 Aug 2020

> Yo my g that’s hard still ima make a mountain song here we go 

> ay ay I climb these mountains like 

> u can say I’m really high on life 

> mans to fly ay

> climb these mountains like tower ridge 

> baby climb a grade 3 with me 

> i will protect u all night like a knight 

> U really a keeper know that cuz u be climbing these mountains without ropes like Cneifion Arête ayo 

> sorry that I put u through stress lately I been so god dam depressed yo 

> I know I’m not perfect and I’m not worth it

> anyway rate that out of 1 to 10

I've tried singing it to various tunes. 'I've got a Luvverly Bunch of Coconuts' seems to fit best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...