Rocks chucked off crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connor Nunns 04 May 2023

I've noticed a lot more rocks broken at the bottom of peak district crags lately, and today saw someone chuck one off the top of Curbar who couldn't seem to see anything wrong with doing so. Take care out there everyone.

bpmclimb 05 May 2023
In reply to Connor Nunns:

> I've noticed a lot more rocks broken at the bottom of peak district crags lately, and today saw someone chuck one off the top of Curbar who couldn't seem to see anything wrong with doing so. Take care out there everyone.

Did you have a word with them? I think it's always worth doing that (quietly, not confrontational). In my experience, they're not normally antagonistic, but the reverse - they didn't realise it was dangerous, and are very apologetic.

gribble 05 May 2023

Seems to be a growth industry.  Been on the receiving end at Stanage and Burbage North in the last month, and Millstone looks like it's had tons of rock thrown down. Scary.

Iamgregp 05 May 2023

At least is wasn't car parts, bottles, and cutlery or whatever they find lying around.

Alkis 05 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Or a sofa. (see: Blacknor).

Lankyman 05 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> At least is wasn't car parts, bottles, and cutlery or whatever they find lying around.

I had a camera land in front of me at Dow once. I don't think they'd deliberately targeted me.

OP Connor Nunns 05 May 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

I did, he said he looked and there wasn't anyone there and "just got an impulse".

ebdon 05 May 2023

I got glass bottles deliberately chucked at me last weekend! 

I was at Pleasley Vale though so not an unusual experience....

BrendanO 07 May 2023

In reply

A couple of years back, we had raw burgers thrown at us in Rosyth Quarry (a H&S-approved replacement for rocks?).

mnf_nelson 08 May 2023
In reply to gribble:

This winter millstone had a programme of rock safety works completed to remove lots of loose and unstable rock from both rock face and top of crag.

midgen 08 May 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

That's good to know, I was on the receiving end of a rock shower from a group of kids and their dim father at Millstone last year. Can't fix the stupid but less ammunition will help!

Lankyman 08 May 2023
In reply to BrendanO:

> A couple of years back, we had raw burgers thrown at us in Rosyth Quarry (a H&S-approved replacement for rocks?).

Only if they'd cooked them properly beforehand

Sam Beaton 08 May 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

Did a lot of that debris end up at the bottom of the crag? I've been to Millstone a few times recently and was alarmed by the amount of fresh broken rock at the bottom of routes and presumed it had been chucked off the top by idiots. But if it is there as a result of safety works I'll feel a lot happier!

scope 08 May 2023
In reply to BrendanO:

I once got drive by new potatoed whilst belaying at Cheddar.

mnf_nelson 08 May 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Yeah it should all have gone to the bottom of the crag to minimise risk of idiots lobbing it from the top.

Sam Beaton 08 May 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

That's good to know, thanks

Wee Davie 08 May 2023

I went mental at a crowd of youths/ neds throwing stuff off Auchinstarry Quarry a few years ago. I was up top and there were climbers down below at the Trundle slab area. Luckily they fuct off without me getting a hiding. 

RichardN 12 May 2023
In reply to Alkis:

I saw a burning Piano shoved off a cliff on Portland once. Cheyne Weares maybe? Portland folk are an odd bunch...

Tony Buckley 12 May 2023
In reply to RichardN:

Was anyone playing it?

T.

Lankyman 12 May 2023
In reply to RichardN:

> I saw a burning Piano shoved off a cliff on Portland once. Cheyne Weares maybe? Portland folk are an odd bunch...

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

profitofdoom 12 May 2023
In reply to RichardN:

> I saw a burning Piano shoved off a cliff on Portland once......

Probably provided the keys for many routes 

Ramblin dave 12 May 2023

I have to admit, I'm surprised that this thread has got to twenty replies without the obligatory UKC contrarian cropping up to say that we should be careful what we wish for because don't climbers sometimes knock rocks down on people too and who's to say that it's alright for us to do it but not for random scallies to do it and maybe we should just let everyone enjoy the countryside in their own way.

Kevster 12 May 2023
In reply to Ramblin dave:

If I run out of suitable rock, I'll throw myself off the cliff too. 😉

ChrisBrooke 12 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> At least is wasn't car parts, bottles, and cutlery or whatever they find lying around.

Bloody Icelandic hooligans. 

Post edited at 22:31
 Iamgregp 12 May 2023
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Thank god.  You got the reference.

Suspect others did too? Hope they did at least!

ChrisBrooke 13 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Ha! You got a few likes, so either some Bjork fans or just people who shared your relief at the lack of airborne cutlery. 

In reply to Ramblin dave:

> without the obligatory UKC contrarian cropping up to say

I wondered if the UKC contrarian had visited Curbar recently...

RichardN 15 May 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

They weren't even videoing it. They came up to us after and sheepishly admitted they had forgotten to record it and asked if any of us had any footage. 

We did not, and even if we did, we weren't going to share it with those idiots. 

sxrxg 15 May 2023

This does seem to be happening more and more at the moment. There was an incident at Pex Hill recently where a bike was thrown into the quarry hitting a climber and leaving them with a fractured skull and other injuries. Worth reporting any incidents to the police if witnessed and potentially having a word if the group/people aren't too intimidating, sometimes I don't think people even realise that there could be people at the base of some of the cliffs we climb on...

Clwyd Chris 15 May 2023

Once climbing at a mini Huntsmans leap type of crag (can't remember the name) and a washing machine came down and exploded next to us ! 

Lankyman 15 May 2023
In reply to Clwyd Chris:

> Once climbing at a mini Huntsmans leap type of crag (can't remember the name) and a washing machine came down and exploded next to us ! 

If it was Pembroke it's probably a new weapon being tested - the Russians would never suspect before it's too late.

Durkules 15 May 2023

It really shouldn't be needed, but seeing as this seems to be happening more and more... should the BMC look at putting up / adding to signs in parking areas telling people not to throw things off the edges?

I do really hope that the majority of the time it's people who are ignorant to the risk, rather than them not caring if it lands on someone. Same goes for people who start fires / BBQs, where big clear signs hopefully make people think twice.

In reply to Lankyman:

> If it was Pembroke it's probably a new weapon being tested - the Russians would never suspect before it's too late.

it would have them running round in cycles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...