Clipstick

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I am planning on some North Wales sport routes and see that clip sticks are now readily available. Any suggestions for good 'uns and has anyone got one for sale?

midgen 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Lloyd Entwistle:

Pongoose is the way to go.

Iamgregp 27 Mar 2024

Having had one of the original design Beta sticks which broke, I must say the new design is much improved.  Collapses down much smaller, doesn't slip when being used any more and feel much more sturdy and robust.

Pongoose do look good though!

Post edited at 12:25
 Fraser 27 Mar 2024
In reply to midgen:

> Pongoose is the way to go.

From my experience it depends on what type of draws you use with them, they don't seem great with older ones or wire-gated crabs. I do like the articulated head on them though and the overall engineering is very good. 

Fraser 27 Mar 2024

Has anyone tried Decathlon's own brand clip stick? They look nice and compact but the head looks a bit vulnerable. 

In reply to midgen:

Cheers. I have seen a review and they look good and solid.

Dave Baker SP5 27 Mar 2024

Superclip + painters pole.

Or in my case, superclip plus old mop handle with the right threaded end, and a hunk of curtail dowel to extend it.

Mick Ward 27 Mar 2024

Pongoose. 

More importantly than make, though. If you're not used to them and end up clipsticking several bolts in succession, excellent communication with your belayer is essential.

Mick 

markrob 30 Mar 2024

I tried the decathlon one as the poles looked sturdier. Was really disappointed as it broke by the third route. The poles all collapsed and hit the base of the clip stick so fast they popped the bottom end off and all the poles came out of the other side. Probably a health and safety issue. I returned it to Decathlon and got a refund. They said they were going to do a recall based on that as the poles could have hit the belayer. Also found the head to be a bit bulky which made clipping things that were easy with a pongoose difficult with the decathlon one, like a small bulge next to the bolt for example. Bought a Pongoose 700 travel edition and it seems great as you would expect. 

JLS 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Baker SP5:

Is the Metolius Superclip thread compatible with “standard” painters poles found in the U.K. DIY shops?

ZacMoss 01 Apr 2024

Beta stick! I've tried a few different kinds and I'm yet to see someone make a clipstick that improves on their design. Mine lasted three years and several major months-long sport climbing trips before I replaced it with a new one. I still have the old one, one pole extender doesn't work but other than that it's perfectly fine. I have abused it a lot though.

Dave Baker SP5 01 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

I bought my superclip in the US but it fits my mop end over here just fine.

BruceM 01 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

> Is the Metolius Superclip thread compatible with “standard” painters poles found in the U.K. DIY shops?

I bought a painting pole from B&Q and had to shave off the plastic tapered end attachment on the pole to fit the supeclip. Also wrapped some self-almalgamating tape around the shaved tapered end for a solid fit. Snug as now and for the last 4 or so years.

So I guess the thing is, you can easily make it fit if it doesn't initially. Great solid clipstick.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...