Too many Ticklists and No Logical Order

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 29 Jun 2023

Just having a look through the ticklist page https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/sets.php for some inspiration for visiting an area and its not very easy. There seems to be no logical order, such as all the areas together Lakes, Snowdonia, Pembroke etc or Grades Best VS-HVS or whatever.
Possibly some need culling, because what was a useful part of the site is now so overwhelmed it is tedious to look through.

McHeath 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Good point. #3-#5 on the list:

The 100 Best UK VS routes? 100 climbs

Rebuffat's 100 Finest Routes in the Mont Blanc Massif 111 climbs

Scottish 3 and 4 star multi-pitch routes 333 climbs

... definitely enough there to keep most people happy, but as you say: tedious to look through.

Post edited at 00:44
 C Witter 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Definitely an arean of the site that could benefit from some more considered curation. Some gems amongst a lot of dross.

Michael Hood 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Needs some kind of multi-index classification. Then it could be listed (similarly to personal logbook or climbs at a location) and then those classifications could be used to provide order.

What classifications might take a bit of thought; area and grade range (green, orange, red, black as per Rockfax would do). Maybe also "personal list" or "established list"; e.g. Wainwright's, Hard Rock routes.

Lots of grey areas to argue about 😁

Post edited at 09:35
OP Godwin 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

>

> Lots of grey areas to argue about 😁

Well it is a rainy day here in Lancashire, so I might have indulged, but I am meeting up with someone, but I will check back in later and see if people are getting revved up

Nothing UKC like better than a list, but a list of lists, what joy.

john arran 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I would have thought that a fairly simple user star-rating of ticklists, in much the same way as users can star-rate climbs, could help sort much of the problem out.

seankenny 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Michael 

> Maybe also "personal list" or "established list"; e.g. Wainwright's, Hard Rock routes.

Personally I like having lots of lists but I find them from looking at routes rather than searching through the lists page. However this suggestion seems sensible. 

Offwidth 30 Jun 2023

True. I'd certainly add esoterica: the old Roaches squeezes and squirms list being a UKC classic of the type (alongside the guidebook lists... where the On Peak Rock top ten was hard to beat). I agree some structure would help, as would star ratings. I've given up trying to find lists I remember from UKC unless I know their name.

Post edited at 10:35
 Andy Moles 30 Jun 2023
> Maybe also "personal list" or "established list"; e.g. Wainwright's, Hard Rock routes.

> Lots of grey areas to argue about

Not least because, to give just one example, I could generate a better Extreme Rock list with a chatGPT prompt than the 'real' one.

😁

seankenny 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Andy Moles:

Go on then. Let’s see what it throws up!

In reply to Godwin:

It needs a list of the best lists. 

JLS 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

How about sorting by number of subscribers to the list? I'd have thought that would rise the cream to the top.

Edit: A geography area marker could be automatically added from the spread of locations of the routes on the list. i.e. Lochaber if they are all in Lochaber, Scotland if they are all in Scotland, France if they are all in France etc.

Post edited at 12:19
OP Godwin 30 Jun 2023
In reply to JLS:

TBH, i have no interest in completing a ticklist or what other people think of a tick list per se, I am looking for ideas when visiting an area for climbs of my grade, local knowledge.

So if visiting the Lakes, Rog Wilkos ticklist would be useful

So firstly by area, then grade. 

Jim blackford 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Andy Moles:

I just asked chat GPT to generate a list of the "best extreme rock climbs in england" it gave: 

Gaia (E8 6c) at gritstone edge?

The Master's Edge (E7 6c) at millstone 

The Right Unconquerable (HVS 5a) at stanage edge

Raindogs (8a) and Rainshadow (9a) at mallham

The Devil's Slide (HS 4a) at lundy 

The Complete Scream (E8 6b)  and The Dark Side (E8 6c) at fair head

and then went off the rails a little with the following: 

Killerweed (f7C) at cheddar gorge

Pacemaker (E5 6a) and Astral Stroll (E1 5b) at St bees head

Strawberries (E7 6b) ?? and Rock Idol (E1 5a) in Pembroke

too be fair its not a bad list at all - it even includes the definitive raven tor experience

OP Godwin 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Jim blackford:

Could you please ask it's opinion on the grade of TPS,?

Robert Durran 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Jim blackford:

> too be fair its not a bad list at all - it even includes the definitive raven tor experience

Except that it seems to have missed the "extreme" bit and the "England" bit, probably the "best" bit and arguably the "rock climb" bit. Quite reassuring really.

JLS 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

It doesn't know! Hasn't done anything on grit...

I apologize, but as an AI language model, I don't have access to real-time or specific information about rock climbs, including the grade of Three Pebble Slab. My training only goes up until September 2021, and I don't have access to internet resources or databases. To find the grade of Three Pebble Slab or any other rock climb, I would recommend consulting climbing guidebooks, online climbing communities, or reaching out to local climbing organizations or experts who may have more up-to-date information. They can provide you with the most accurate and current details regarding the grade of that specific climb.

What have you ever done on grit?

As an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or physical capabilities, so I haven't personally done any climbing on grit or any other type of rock. However, I can provide information and answer questions about climbing on gritstone or any other topic you'd like to know about. Feel free to ask anything related to climbing, and I'll do my best to assist you!

Rick Graham 30 Jun 2023
In reply to JLS:

I am impressed at such a reasoned, reasonable and polite answer.

Is this allowed or expected on here?

> It doesn't know! Hasn't done anything on grit...

> I apologize, but as an AI language model, I don't have access to real-time or specific information about rock climbs, including the grade of Three Pebble Slab. My training only goes up until September 2021, and I don't have access to internet resources or databases. To find the grade of Three Pebble Slab or any other rock climb, I would recommend consulting climbing guidebooks, online climbing communities, or reaching out to local climbing organizations or experts who may have more up-to-date information. They can provide you with the most accurate and current details regarding the grade of that specific climb.

> What have you ever done on grit?

> As an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or physical capabilities, so I haven't personally done any climbing on grit or any other type of rock. However, I can provide information and answer questions about climbing on gritstone or any other topic you'd like to know about. Feel free to ask anything related to climbing, and I'll do my best to assist you!

OP Godwin 30 Jun 2023
In reply to JLS:

Holy moly, I have never knowingly seen AI generated text before.

If I was a journalist, copywriter, computer programme writer and many other jobs, I would start looking for a new career immediately. That is shocking.

JLS 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

You get "My training only goes up until September 2021, and I don't have access to internet resources or databases." quite often but I occasionally use it to sort my grammar and punctuation or to rephrase something.  It's certainly much better at that sort of stuff than I.

Post edited at 16:09
 Offwidth 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Seriously!!?? That's a stock reply that could be used for hundreds of subjects: just replace the questioners climbing phases with whatever else is asked.

It is really good at helping newish programmers write code. This sort of AI still misuses huge volumes of IP, uses large amounts of energy,  has biases intrinsic to its trained data and sometimes plain makes shit up. Google sacked two of its ethics team for publishing obvious ethical problems in all this. The scary thing is that this stuff isn't properly regulated. Scientific American even had fun on the subject

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chatgpt-explains-why-ais-like-ch....

Andy Moles 02 Jul 2023
In reply to seankenny:

It's let me down.

List 180 of the best rock climbs in England, Scotland and Wales graded between E3 and E7

ChatGPT

Certainly! Here's a list of 180 rock climbs in England, Scotland, and Wales, graded between E3 and E7:

England:

Cemetery Gates (E3 5c) - Llanberis Pass, North Wales

Great Wall (E3 5b) - Clogwyn Du'r Arddu, North Wales

The Conger (E3 6a) - Gogarth, Anglesey

Great Slab (E3 5b) - Froggatt Edge, Peak District

London Wall (E5 6a) - Millstone Edge, Peak District

The Strand (E4 6a) - Gogarth, Anglesey

The Right Unconquerable (E1 5b) - Stanage Edge, Peak District

Heart of Darkness (E5 6a) - Dovedale, Peak District

Vector (E2 5c) - Tremadog, North Wales

The Moon (E5 6a) - Curbar Edge, Peak District

Master's Edge (E7 6b) - Millstone Edge, Peak District

Right Wall (E5 6a) - Dinas Cromlech, North Wales

Messiah (E3 6a) - Gogarth, Anglesey

The Sloth (E1 5c) - Roaches Upper Tier, Peak District

The Quarryman (E8 7a) - Twll Mawr, North Wales

The Right Wall (E5 6a) - Clogwyn Du'r Arddu, North Wales

The Axe (E4 6a) - Raven Crag, Lake District

Cenotaph Corner (E1 5c) - Dinas Cromlech, North Wales

Master's Edge (E7 6b) - Millstone Edge, Peak District

Gaia (E8 6c) - Black Rocks, Peak District

Telli (E5 6a) - Craig Bwlch y Moch, North Wales

The File (E2 5b) - Burbage South Edge, Peak District

Telli (E5 6a) - Craig Bwlch y Moch, North Wales

Right Eliminate (E3 5c) - Stanage Plantation, Peak District

The Cad (E5 6a) - Gogarth, Anglesey

Suicide Wall (E3 5c) - Cratcliffe Tor, Peak District

Great North Road (E5 6a) - Millstone Edge, Peak District

The Quartz Icicle (E2 5b) - Black Crag, Lake District

Suspension Flake (E3 5c) - Dinas Cromlech, North Wales

Wall of Horrors (E3 5c) - Wilton 1, Lancashire

Cemetery Gates Direct Start (E4 6a) - Llanberis Pass, North Wales

The Vice (E1 5b) - Roaches Upper Tier, Peak District

Saliva (E4 6a) - Gogarth, Anglesey

Right Wall (E5 6a) - Dinas Cromlech, North Wales

Angel's Share (E2 5c) - Stanage Plantation, Peak District

Simba's Pride (E5 6

Ken Wilson still has the edge.

Post edited at 07:41
 timparkin 02 Jul 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> This sort of AI still misuses huge volumes of IP, uses large amounts of energy,  has biases intrinsic to its trained data and sometimes plain makes shit up. 

Most people (mis)use huge volumes of IP, use large amounts of energy, have biases intrinsic to their training and make shite up. To be fair, most people need regulating too... 

seankenny 02 Jul 2023
In reply to Andy Moles:

It’s good to see that Ken Wilson, unlike Kasparov, can still beat a machine. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...