Routes known by their abbreviated names

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 24 Jan 2024

Just thinking about routes which are commonly know by their abbreviated names - either part of the full name or an actual abbreviations. I suspect these fall into three categories: 1 - well known classics; 2 - local classics (not necessarily great routes but regularly done); and 3 - routes with very long names. There must be loads but I can’t think of many off hand.

1 - Prophesy, Lord, The Corner (not to be confused with the route actually called The Corner…), The Dervish, Conan, Dream / DOWH, Darkinbad, Beast, Rockers (do people use this and perhaps one for the third category as not very well known?), Mortlock’s.

Dream is interesting in that it’s used to refer to two different classic routes but hardly anyone does or refers to the original Dream which forms part of one of those two routes; plus there are two reasonably / vaguely known other routes with longish names which include Dream but as far as I know no one refers to them as Dream…

2 - Consenting. Must be loads of obscure local routes in this  category. Probably Krapp’s?

3 - Clive Coolhead, Mohammed / Mohammed the Mad Monk.

Lhod 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

NTBTA springs to mind

Not to be Taken Away (f6C)

Category 4 - routes that are an abbreviation, e.g. WYSIWYG (7b+)

Fraser 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

'Hamish Teddy's Excellent Adventure' at Dunkeld, Upper Cave is usually just known as 'Ted's'.

Hamish Teddy's Excellent Adventure (7b+)

DaveHK 24 Jan 2024
 Michael Gordon 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Tons of routes are abbreviated to make chat easier. Not that many are initialised I don't think, at least to the extent that folk would immediately recognise them. There's DOWH as you say, also TPS.

Michael Hood 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

You forgot TPS - which is ABA; abbreviated by argument 

Damn, beaten by less than a minute 

Post edited at 07:43
In reply to Fraser:

I've more often heard it referred to as 'Hamish Ted's', but it's certainly a good example.

Fraser 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I wonder if the more times you do or try a route,  the more curt the abbreviation!

Pedro50 24 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Indecent 

veteye 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Some are only shortened a little, such as Agag's (groove) or Point five (gully).

If you shorten some, you lose some of the fun, such as shortening "Shit happens" to SH, although it would allow discussion in more polite company, in that particular case.

alan moore 24 Jan 2024
In reply to veteye:

> Some are only shortened a little, such as Agag's (groove) or Point five (gully).

Similarly, Botterill's, or Jones' Direct, Hargreave's, or Scrattling.

What about CB? I find that one a bit annoying.

Post edited at 08:46
 65 24 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> A matched pair:

> Bludger's

> Lecher's

Add Shib to make it a trio.

pete osullivan 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

When I climbed The Dream in the Great Zawn in 1980 the final crack above the little roof (where Liberator goes right) was covered in lichen and the crack wasn't visible. Only after frigging about trying to go slightly left did I spot it. It was a fitting finale to the route but did not have the wow factor that the Liberator finish has but it is still worthwhile.

Post edited at 10:39
OP Misha 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Lhod:

Yeah was thinking of WYSIWYG. Any other actual abbreviations out there?

elliptic 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

From Classic Rock (though I first heard this story from my father who knew Macphee personally) :-

"The crux moves of Moss Ghyll Grooves (VS 4c) were considered irreversible before, in 1928, a party comprising L H Pollitt, H G Knight and G G Macphee made the first descent, with Macphee leading from the rear. The chief motivation was Macphee's desire to make the succinct entry MGG ↓ GGM in the Brackenclose log book."

OP Misha 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Of course.

Do people commonly refer to Overnite? I’ve seen that but perhaps a Malham regular could confirm. 

OP Misha 24 Jan 2024
In reply to pete osullivan:

Think The Dream has a slightly different start as well? That final crack is definitely visible but not well travelled. One for the crag connoisseur. 

Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2024
 Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Bulls Crack:

And CB of course

john arran 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

> Any other actual abbreviations out there?

GMB (E5 6a)

It stands for George Mackay Brown, a celebrated author from Orkney, who died shortly before we climbed the route.

Post edited at 11:30
 Lankyman 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

All the locals call W (HVS 5a) 'W'

PaulJepson 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

> Yeah was thinking of WYSIWYG. Any other actual abbreviations out there?

WOGS at Chudleigh, if you believe that tale. 

Charlie Noakes 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

> Yeah was thinking of WYSIWYG. Any other actual abbreviations out there?

I presume M.G.C. (E2 5c) but wouldn't be able to tell you what it stands for.

Steve Clegg 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Charlie Noakes:

Manchester Gritstone Club

Doug 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Charlie Noakes:

Isn't P.M.C.1  https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/curbar_edge-21/pmc1-11076 short for something mountaineering club 1 ?

Ian Parsons 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Doug:

Polaris, according to the guidebook.

Will Hunt 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Yes, always Overnite.

At the same crag there's The Oak (Austrian Oak) and Baboo (Baboo-Baboo). I think McClure said when he named Fixation that he went for one-word names because anything longer would inevitably be abbreviated anyway.

Also, Frankie (Frankie Comes to Kilnsey).

In reply to Misha:

Lord of the Flies (E6 6a) often gets shortened to 'Lord'

G. Tiger, Esq. 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Will Hunt:

Not To Be Abbreviated Away?

Dave Cundy 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> NMWSBW used to be used for Not Much Weak Stack Battered or What? (E4 6b)

In my 'new' 1982 Stanage/Millstone guide, it describes the route as "Not Half Weak Stack Battered or What".  Something seems to be amiss, somewhere.  I notice the UKC logbook also refers to it using "Much".  Can anyone with an even older guide enlighten us as to its true name?

HeMa 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

NIAD, albeit this also states how fast (to an extent) you climbed it… or try to climb.

Paul Hy 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

for Roaches aficionado's its known simply as Mauds (Garden) and one from Classic rock WotW for Will o' the Wisp at Craig Cywarch

Sean Kelly 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> Lord of the Flies (E6 6a) often gets shortened to 'Lord'

Also the Corner & the Gates nearby..

Crags also incl. Cloggy, the Moch, and locally we have Chudders!

john arran 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> In my 'new' 1982 Stanage/Millstone guide, it describes the route as "Not Half Weak Stack Battered or What".  Something seems to be amiss, somewhere.  I notice the UKC logbook also refers to it using "Much".  Can anyone with an even older guide enlighten us as to its true name?

Wasn't it an Andy Barker route? In which case the 82 guide is probably the first it was in. He went through a phase of nonsensical names.

I certainly remember it as 'Half' from around the time it was done.

gooberman-hill 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

What about The Whoremistress (E4 6a) - originally "The Whoremistresess' Clitoris Warner" - but I believe the SMC were unimpressed.

In reply to Misha:

DRI (E6 6a)

An apt name.

Damo 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

In Australia?

'Punks' for Punks In The Gym, Mt Arapiles

'Angels' for Where Angels Fear To Tread, Mt Buffalo

'Ozy' for Ozymandias Direct, Mt Buffalo

'Flight' for Flight of the Phoenix, Warrumbungles

'The Tote' for The Totem Pole, Tasmania, whichever route

'The Blade' for the Blade Ridge/NW Face Route on Federation Peak, Tasmania

and I've heard a few abbreviations for this one, not surprisingly: https://www.thecrag.com/en/climbing/australia/nowra/the-grotto-cliffline/ro... 

In reply to Misha:

TIFS (E6 6b)

A nice warm fuzzy feeling for the first person to name what this stands for.

Cusco 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Empire at Ansteys

Myfyr Tomos 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Has "One Step" for One Step in the Clouds been mentioned? https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/craig_bwlch_y_moch_tremadog-221/#o...

Two ready abbreviated  North Wales routes, W.O.B. (while others bathed) and LMH (Lady Margaret Hall)

Post edited at 20:36
 Pedro50 24 Jan 2024

> A nice warm fuzzy feeling for the first person to name what this stands for.

Trump is fecking stupid?

In reply to Pedro50:

Ha, that would probably be better!

Myfyr Tomos 24 Jan 2024

Is it a play on the names of the first ascensionists, Ian Taylor and Tess Fryer?

OP Misha 24 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

That made me think of GBH (E2 5c)

In reply to Misha:

LBJ

Martin Hore 24 Jan 2024
In reply to martinturnchapel:

> LBJ

Odd one that. I've used "LBJ" as short for Little Brown Jug at Bosigran. But "LBJ" is (as you probably know) the correct guidebook name for a similarly good (but shorter) VS at Craig Coetan. In the latter case I'd presumed it referred to the US President.

Martin

Darron 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Ivy Sep.

Little Cham.

Places:

Cham.

Dollies

The valley

Eldo(?)

Post edited at 23:43
 johncook 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

FATD on Millstone. Various opinions on what it is an abbreviation of. (F..k All To Do is the popular one, because the first ascensionist was bored and someone asked their problem. They then got up and lead it!)

Olaf Prot 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Can't believe no one's mentioned 3PS...

OP Misha 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Olaf Prot:

TPS was mentioned above. I think that’s more common. 

Olaf Prot 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

Doh! I searched "3PS" before replying, didn't think of that. Any idea what grade it is though?

Ian Parsons 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Olaf Prot:

>  Any idea what grade it is though?

Hard Very Severe. Bit of a mouthful, I know; if only there was some sort of contracted form!

In reply to Damo:

> In Australia?

I was going to say The Invisible Fist for The Invisible Fist (26), but it's actual name is The Invisible Fist Of Professor Hidditch Smidditch

profitofdoom 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

I have been wondering about MPP (HVS 5a) on Dinas Mot in the Pass for decades. What does MPP stand for??

alan moore 25 Jan 2024
In reply to profitofdoom:

> I have been wondering about MPP (HVS 5a) on Dinas Mot in the Pass for decades. What does MPP stand for??

Thought it was 'micro-pecision product'; like a rurp.

Alkis 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Misha:

FBD, is a classic one.

Matt Podd 25 Jan 2024
In reply to alan moore:

Camera.

Sean Kelly 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Alkis:

As is CMC slab...

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Crags also incl. Cloggy, the Moch, and locally we have Chudders!

There’s also the Mot and the Cromlech of course.

profitofdoom 25 Jan 2024
In reply to alan moore:

> Thought it was 'micro-pecision product'; like a rurp.

Thanks for that! Good to know 

Michael Gordon 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Is it a play on the names of the first ascensionists, Ian Taylor and Tess Fryer?

Nope, and actually Pedro50 got 2 of the words right. TIFS - This Is F**king Scotland.

I believe it's a retort to those complaining about rain, greasy conditions etc - "This is f**king Scotland, mate" 

Myfyr Tomos 25 Jan 2024

Ha. Brilliant. Thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...