Free Solo Accident Stats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 07 Feb 2024

I saw this graph on Facebook and thought it was interesting. Covid and the 'Honnold' effect have led to a hockey stick increase in soloing deaths in America. 

Stats from the AAJ, via Escalade Bliss Climbing on fb. 

Post edited at 20:31

TobyA 07 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I've had this argument on FB already... From memory it doesn't really say anything useful about the UK, as the soloing many of us do here is very different. 

morpcat 07 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Covid and the 'Honnold' effect have led to a hockey stick increase in soloing deaths in America. 

[1] "soloing deaths" should be "severe injuries or deaths during free soloing" to match what's stated in the chart.

[2] "have led to" should be "correlate with". The chart shows correlation, not causation. To get to causation, we'd need to understand more about the circumstances around each of the individual accidents, and also if there have been any other changes that could affect the data (e.g. differences in data collection and record keeping in the 40 years between 1983 and 2023).

That said, it's a pretty reasonable and unsurprising hypothesis.

Jim blackford 07 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

My first thought would be that climbing has got a lot more popular in the same time . I wonder if the rise in free solo accidents correlate with other stats, like number of outdoor climbers, or number of bouldering or trad accidents.

Given that it's severe injuries as well as deaths, the numbers per year will vary with reporting too. The actual number could be higher, or lower. 

Offwidth 07 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

These are tiny numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if emphasis and films had an effect but I think causation is a massive stretch.

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024

In reply to:

Is the '89 spike the 'Croft Effect' then?

It seems to me that soloing harder/longer routes is something that has come in and out of vogue a few times. My impression is that there was a lot of it about in the 70s and 80s then although people obviously carried on dong it it didn't seem to get the same coverage until Free Solo.

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024

In reply to:

What would be the best way you analyse this data? Poisson distribution?

Michael Hood 08 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> I've had this argument on FB already... From memory it doesn't really say anything useful about the UK, as the soloing many of us do here is very different. 

That graphic and annotation doesn't say anything useful about the USA either beyond the raw numbers having gone up.

Maybe it was published with suitable analysis and stated any assumptions in that analysis, but without all that there's not a lot more that can be said.

midgen 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Firstly, you want to plot it against the number of people climbing full stop. Then see the number of people actually free soloing, then you decide the sample sizes are way too small to draw any conclusions from.

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024
In reply to midgen:

>then you decide the sample sizes are way too small to draw any conclusions from.

I really am not an expert and I'd like to learn from this but is this not exactly what the Poisson distribution is for? Calculating the probability of an event happening a certain number of times over a given time frame and particularly where the individual probability is low.

Somebody educate me! 

Jon Read 08 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes, you could model the rate at which the accidents happen as a Poisson process. A change-point analysis (regression) would be one way to attempt to identify when a change may have occurred. As pointed out above, you would really want to account for any changes in the number of people climbing over time, or better the person hours spent climbing, as an offset term in the regression -- good luck finding that data!

Post edited at 08:38
 Mick Ward 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I can't see that there's anything meaningful to be gained from such small figures. 

For instance, in a country of some 300 million people, half a dozen pissed up beginner climbers (e.g. teenage, male) messing around in a quarry, could send things ballistic. 

Mick 

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Jon Read:

I assume that all you could draw from it is that with a base rate of 0.8pa a year with 7 is very improbable? 

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Mick Ward:

>half a dozen pissed up beginner climbers (e.g. teenage, male) messing around in a quarry,

Those were the days!  

TobyA 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Maybe it was published with suitable analysis and stated any assumptions in that analysis, but without all that there's not a lot more that can be said.

I vaguely remember they are either suggesting people learn to rope solo, and possibly offering courses on how to rope solo...

Mick Ward 08 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Love it! 

As I wrote the post above, there was an inner voice muttering, "You hypocritical old bastard."

Mick 

midgen 08 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

As someone else has mentioned, with any kind of analysis, this sample size is way too small. You could have a couple of consecutive years where maybe one particular small community got together and egged each other on to some unhealthy levels of competition. Maybe there was a group on one route and the leader fell and took the rest out. Who knows. You could easily end up with a hockey stick looking graph that isn't indicative of any trend at all. 

Which a sample size this small, the best thing to do would be to look into each individual case in detail and find out what the contributing factors were, rather than starting with a hypothesis and trying to fit it to the sparse data. 

Post edited at 10:04
 C Witter 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It's good to see that, despite the growth in climbing, absolute numbers of serious injury or death from soloing are still tiny. Compare that to gun deaths in the US (2021: 549 accidental gun deaths... 537 shot dead by police... 458 unknown... and 21,000 murdered, 26,000 suicides*) and you really start to wonder if soloing is safer than going to school in the US.

*  source: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about...

Post edited at 10:15
 john arran 08 Feb 2024
In reply to midgen:

There's also the hypothesis to be considered. In this case it's tempting to think the hypothesis to have been "Did the release of Free Solo lead to a change in the rate of serious free solo accidents?", whereas in all likelihood the hypothesis came after the data, such as "Is the rise in serious free solo accidents at around the time of the release of Free Solo a result of it?" The choice of hypothesis will substantially change the level of significance required.

Michael Hood 08 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> I vaguely remember they are either suggesting people learn to rope solo, and possibly offering courses on how to rope solo...

Well obviously there's no risk that they're presenting something in a way that might drum up extra business 🤣

Iamgregp 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

[eye roll] 

This doesn't show that Covid and the "Honnold Effect" whatever that is, have had any effect on increased in soloing deaths in America.  It shows the have risen.  At the same time as these other things have taken place, but give the lack of control group it doesn't establish any cause & effect, nor does it subject these figures to the type of statistical analysis to establish whether this is a significant rise, or could be attributed to chance.

There are far too many unmeasured, uncontrolled variables at play to establish any type of causality.

This is very bad science.  

Shani 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I've just been checking worldwide piracy rates since the release of Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" back in 2003.

All I'll say is that ferry ride from Holyhead to Dublin this Summer is going to be a very anxious time for me personally. 

Cheese Monkey 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

These "stats" would be promoted by escalade bliss. They conveniently run a rope solo course... The fb following is cult-like and a bit weird.

AlanLittle 08 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> it doesn't really say anything useful about the UK, as the soloing many of us do here is very different. 

I recall a discussion on here a while back, where somebody asked (something like) how many people had soloed above VS and higher than 30 feet. I was very much in the majority, having done both separately but not both together

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024
In reply to AlanLittle:

> I recall a discussion on here a while back, where somebody asked (something like) how many people had soloed above VS and higher than 30 feet. I was very much in the majority, having done both separately but not both together

That's an interesting combo actually. Lots of people will solo long easy routes and lots of people will regularly solo above VS but the two together is a whole other ball game. I have done both at the same time but not often and not for a long time! 

Michael Gordon 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I would hypothesise that this increase just relates to the increase in climbing participation (and therefore at much smaller numbers, soloing participation) more generally. To relate it to Free Solo sounds like a stretch. It will be interesting to see whether numbers stay higher, or whether this is a short term blip.

In reply to DaveHK:

> That's an interesting combo actually. Lots of people will solo long easy routes and lots of people will regularly solo above VS but the two together is a whole other ball game. I have done both at the same time but not often and not for a long time! 

I agree, but maybe make single/multi pitch the key distinction. 30 feet is short even for grit!

DaveHK 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

>  It will be interesting to see whether numbers stay higher, or whether this is a short term blip.

It's probably self limiting!

john arran 08 Feb 2024

It's a gross generalisation but 30ft is probably a fair estimate for how high a climb might be that you might be able to kid yourself is fall-offable without necessarily ending up badly crunched. Especially since most 30ft routes will have a crux which is far lower. It's the crux height and the landing that's really key. If you know for sure that a fall from one of the route's hardest moves will be terminal, or not far off, then to my mind it's true soloing. Below that height and you're really in a hybrid highball zone. I happen to think that doing hard moves in that hybrid zone is much harder than doing them several pitches up, but I don't think that view is typical.

Ian Parsons 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Shani:

> I've just been checking worldwide piracy rates since the release of Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" back in 2003.

Did you happen to notice whether pet shops had reported any corresponding surge in parrot sales? 

a crap climber 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Shani:

I thought pirate numbers were decreasing and that's the real cause of global warming? There's even a graph to prove it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#/media/File%3APira...

For more of that ilk this website can provide endless examples of things that happen to correlate:

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

In reply to john arran:

> It's the crux height and the landing that's really key.

On short routes, yes I agree.

"If you know for sure that a fall from one of the route's hardest moves will be terminal, or not far off, then to my mind it's true soloing."

Yep. I think for many, other factors will come into play also on longer routes. Both the subjective feeling of exposure - much more pronounced somehow without a rope - and the ease of escape.

"Below that height and you're really in a hybrid highball zone. I happen to think that doing hard moves in that hybrid zone is much harder than doing them several pitches up, but I don't think that view is typical."

I assume you don't mean the exact same difficulty of moves? That would be very unusual indeed.

john arran 08 Feb 2024

> On short routes, yes I agree.

> "If you know for sure that a fall from one of the route's hardest moves will be terminal, or not far off, then to my mind it's true soloing."

> Yep. I think for many, other factors will come into play also on longer routes. Both the subjective feeling of exposure - much more pronounced somehow without a rope - and the ease of escape.

It's still just as much soloing however exposed it might be and even if it might be easy to escape. It's just easier to solo when the level of commitment is lower.

> "Below that height and you're really in a hybrid highball zone. I happen to think that doing hard moves in that hybrid zone is much harder than doing them several pitches up, but I don't think that view is typical."

> I assume you don't mean the exact same difficulty of moves? That would be very unusual indeed.

That's exactly what I mean, yes. Clearly there's a height below which having the ground nearby makes it easier. Most highballs fall into this category. But there's a grey area just above that where the outcome of a fall would be very hard to predict - probably nasty but not necesarily so. It is this kind of height that I find more difficult than true soloing, as trying to weigh up the consequences of a fall are a distraction from the concentration that, to me, soloing requires.

Mick Ward 08 Feb 2024
In reply to john arran:

> But there's a grey area just above that where the outcome of a fall would be very hard to predict - probably nasty but not necesarily so. It is this kind of height that I find more difficult than true soloing, as trying to weigh up the consequences of a fall are a distraction from the concentration that, to me, soloing requires.

Totally agree. Find myself weighing things up, rather than getting on with it. 

Above a certain height, barring miracles, you know full well what's going to happen. So there's no more weighing up to do, no more distractions. Consequently I find it easier to be in a bubble of concentration. 

Mick

kaiser 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Above a certain height, barring miracles, you know full well what's going to happen. So there's no more weighing up to do, no more distractions. Consequently I find it easier to be in a bubble of concentration. 

Yeah I get that.

Back to the OP - nothing wrong with more people dying from falling of climbs as long as they were enjoying themselves.   Put another way - these are the type of twisted stats that will climbing banned (or subject to an HSE inspection) in order to 'save lives'

Michael Hood 08 Feb 2024
In reply to AlanLittle:

> I recall a discussion on here a while back, where somebody asked (something like) how many people had soloed above VS and higher than 30 feet. I was very much in the majority, having done both separately but not both together

That combo really needs the VS bit to be above 30 feet. There are plenty of VS's longer than 30 feet which only have easier climbing above 30 feet.

Michael Gordon 09 Feb 2024
In reply to john arran:

> It's just easier to solo when the level of commitment is lower.

Exactly. That's one of the reasons why a 15m HVS, proper soloing for sure, could be a regular solo for some but the same standard of route in the mountains wouldn't even be considered.

> That's exactly what I mean, yes. Clearly there's a height below which having the ground nearby makes it easier. Most highballs fall into this category. But there's a grey area just above that where the outcome of a fall would be very hard to predict - probably nasty but not necesarily so. It is this kind of height that I find more difficult than true soloing, as trying to weigh up the consequences of a fall are a distraction from the concentration that, to me, soloing requires.

That makes some sense, though as you say, almost certainly isn't typical. I think for many, even in the case of a pretty bad fall, some chance of survival makes doing the moves easier. Consciously it doesn't make much sense as the fall could be horrific, but subconsciously it does.

CantClimbTom 09 Feb 2024
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Don't use FB so no idea what cults go on there, but bliss climbing YouTube channel has some really useful resources there.

Not sure why it was a revelation as (like many good simple ideas) it's obvious with hindsight, but the tip to put a slip knot on runner krabs here and there (any fall will undo the knot, but weight of rope underneath will be taken by runner) was a game changer for me. (Stops the rope weight feed all the rope through to the next catastrophe knot when you get 15 or 20m or something up a pitch)

Those resources could encourage more rope solo (inherently not easy-safe environment) and might increase accidents slightly - then again it might reduce accidents by showing tips to avoid problems.

On balance I'd say they probably reduce accidents?

Let's just blame Honnold though. Working  for a few big companies taught me you should always pick blame first, then investigate to get evidence to support that 🤣

Post edited at 10:27
 Michael Gordon 09 Feb 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I wonder how many rope solo as opposed to free solo? It just seems like such a faff, the avoidance thereof being one of the key attractions of soloing.

Brass Nipples 09 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It could actually be down to the release of Spider-Man 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2250912

CantClimbTom 09 Feb 2024

Rope solo (multi pitch) is a *** giant faff on a stick, and a very big stick at that 🤣

Post edited at 18:51
 bouldery bits 09 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Soloing looks pretty safe to be fair. 

In reply to TobyA:

> I've had this argument on FB already... From memory it doesn't really say anything useful about the UK, as the soloing many of us do here is very different. 

By UK you mean the grit? 

TobyA 10 Feb 2024
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

It's has to be one of the most heavily climbed on rock types in the UK being where it is and, because many grit crags are small, lends itself to soloing. How many people have soloed the odd easier route Stanage compared to say something on Slate or at Gogarth or Swanage? (Actually I did find one sector at one of the Swanage crags I've visited where I soloed a bunch of easy routes, but it was quite grit like in that it was short and had a flat solid top out.)

The Norris 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

My first thought was that the really big spike in growth looks to have occurred in 2021... must be because of climbing being in the olympics 😉

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...