Clipstick

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I am planning on some North Wales sport routes and see that clip sticks are now readily available. Any suggestions for good 'uns and has anyone got one for sale?

midgen 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Lloyd Entwistle:

Pongoose is the way to go.

Iamgregp 27 Mar 2024

Having had one of the original design Beta sticks which broke, I must say the new design is much improved.  Collapses down much smaller, doesn't slip when being used any more and feel much more sturdy and robust.

Pongoose do look good though!

Post edited at 12:25
 Fraser 27 Mar 2024
In reply to midgen:

> Pongoose is the way to go.

From my experience it depends on what type of draws you use with them, they don't seem great with older ones or wire-gated crabs. I do like the articulated head on them though and the overall engineering is very good. 

Fraser 27 Mar 2024

Has anyone tried Decathlon's own brand clip stick? They look nice and compact but the head looks a bit vulnerable. 

In reply to midgen:

Cheers. I have seen a review and they look good and solid.

Dave Baker SP5 27 Mar 2024

Superclip + painters pole.

Or in my case, superclip plus old mop handle with the right threaded end, and a hunk of curtail dowel to extend it.

Mick Ward 27 Mar 2024

Pongoose. 

More importantly than make, though. If you're not used to them and end up clipsticking several bolts in succession, excellent communication with your belayer is essential.

Mick 

markrob 30 Mar 2024

I tried the decathlon one as the poles looked sturdier. Was really disappointed as it broke by the third route. The poles all collapsed and hit the base of the clip stick so fast they popped the bottom end off and all the poles came out of the other side. Probably a health and safety issue. I returned it to Decathlon and got a refund. They said they were going to do a recall based on that as the poles could have hit the belayer. Also found the head to be a bit bulky which made clipping things that were easy with a pongoose difficult with the decathlon one, like a small bulge next to the bolt for example. Bought a Pongoose 700 travel edition and it seems great as you would expect. 

JLS 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Baker SP5:

Is the Metolius Superclip thread compatible with “standard” painters poles found in the U.K. DIY shops?

ZacMoss 01 Apr 2024

Beta stick! I've tried a few different kinds and I'm yet to see someone make a clipstick that improves on their design. Mine lasted three years and several major months-long sport climbing trips before I replaced it with a new one. I still have the old one, one pole extender doesn't work but other than that it's perfectly fine. I have abused it a lot though.

Dave Baker SP5 01 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

I bought my superclip in the US but it fits my mop end over here just fine.

BruceM 01 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

> Is the Metolius Superclip thread compatible with “standard” painters poles found in the U.K. DIY shops?

I bought a painting pole from B&Q and had to shave off the plastic tapered end attachment on the pole to fit the supeclip. Also wrapped some self-almalgamating tape around the shaved tapered end for a solid fit. Snug as now and for the last 4 or so years.

So I guess the thing is, you can easily make it fit if it doesn't initially. Great solid clipstick.

I have now bought a Pongoose and it is wonderful. Great bit of manufacture and great customer service.

sheppy 14:32 Tue

Wise choice, bombproof build quality and the clever head lets you clip bolts hidden by slight bulges more easily than the in-line variety. Also you never hear the "click of doom" when the gate on the krab closes before its in the hanger....!

acrkirby 08:39 Wed
In reply to ZacMoss:

Pongoose is an all round improvement on the beta stick. A clip stick should be lasting you a lot longer than 3 years.

Dont believe me, have a race against a pongoose to put up a draw, clip the rope, and then take the draw off the bolt. The pongoose user will be finished and packed up before the beta stick user gets the draw off the bolt

johncook 17:15 Wed

Beta stick. Great gear and brilliant customer service if ever you need It, which is rarely, and usually not a product fault!

Misha 22:56 Wed

Another vote for Pongoose (saw you said you got one). Only downsides are it’s shorter than the longest beta sticks and more expensive. Also for clipping up a route, the shortest beta stick is more convenient but the Pongoose is feasible, even the longer one. For clipping off the ground, I’d certainly get the longer Pongoose.

In reply to acrkirby:

Except how common is it in reality to need to take the draw off the bolt? 

Alkis 07:10 Thu
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Not as common as clipping but certainly not uncommon.

In reply to Alkis:

Fair enough. I'd call it uncommon. I can't think when I've ever had to do it, or why I would, short of identifying the wrong route. Which would be easily rectifiable when lowering off. 

What about when you set off up something which you think should be well within your grade but turns out to be far too hard for you or your partner to get more than 2 moves off the ground? Or is that just me?

jezb1 08:12 Thu

> Except how common is it in reality to need to take the draw off the bolt? 

I do it quite regularly for the first bolt when stripping steeper routes. Often not a necessity but makes life easier sometimes.

Misha 10:16 Thu

Very helpful on steep or diagonal routes where it’s otherwise a pain to strip the first couple of bolts. 

In reply to Misha:

Fair point, thats a potentially useful one.

>What about when you set off up something which you think should be well within your grade but turns out to be far too hard for you or your partner to get more than 2 moves off the ground? Or is that just me?

Can't be so common to make it a distinguishing feature between clipsticks surely. Pongooses are great but theyre insanely expensive. Also, in the event this does happen you're carrying a clipstick so are able to clipstick to the top and strip it as normal. 

jezb1 17:10 Thu

If you want insanely expensive…

https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/roll-up-stick-clip-kit.html

In reply to jezb1:

wow

Fingertape and er, a stick. You could be posh and add a bulldog clip and a few tie wraps. More robust and easier to repair than most of the comercial ones. Organic too for the eco tick.

Post edited at 20:37
 jezb1 20:57 Thu
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

The finger tape plus stick versions are though, er, shit aren’t they.

acrkirby 09:22 Fri

Very common, not only for giving up on a route at the first bouldery move but also for cleaning extremely steep routes where stripping the bottom bolts can have you swinging into the rock/opposing canyon wall. You can just skip it and take it out from the floor

First time I've heard tie wraps being given an eco tick. I feel a bit guilty every time I use one.......

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Releasable ones are available.

Hey,

Thanks for all the useful feedback on the Beta Evo Clipstick, both good and bad!!!

Feedback is super valuable to us and we'd love to implement and change everything people suggest but as you all probably know it's never that easy to change things super quick.

I do let the design team know what people are saying and we're always looking at ways to improve the Beta Evo but it's not always possible to change things especially when we want to maintain price etc.

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts and pointers on our product and we'll take it into consideration for the future.

Thanks. I can sleep easier now :}

Fraser 12:43 Fri
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Is it possible to purchase replacement lever-clips for those that have worn down through use over the years? I'd like to replace a couple on mine to stop slippage, but I really don't want to have to buy a whole new clip-stick.

Edit: or even the small loose insert that gets pushed into the pole's groove when locking the lever?

Post edited at 12:46
 TobyA 15:26 Fri
In reply to Fraser:

Mine is coming on 4 years old and although still generally works I'm starting to see that clips aren't as secure as they used to be also. A friend's betastick tends to collapse now on a few sections as his clips aren't working very well at all.

It would be a real shame if you had to junk the whole stick for those four of five bits of plastic on it. 

Fraser 16:50 Fri
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, mine's about 8-10 years old now maybe, can't quite remember but a few sections were starting to consistently fail when tested at length. I tried to shim out the 'cam' on the levers with a layer of insulating tape but that's only given limited success as it wears out after only a few lock-unlock cycles. Personally I think there should be a rubber part in the mechanism somewhere that provided more grip and wouldn't wear out as quickly.

mik82 17:07 Fri
In reply to Fraser:

I've fixed this by pushing out the metal pin that holds the lever in, and then adding a small shim of thin plastic - cut up bank card works well, then reassembling.

Fraser 17:14 Fri
In reply to mik82:

Thanks, I saw your earlier post on this subject from 2020, but I count get that solution to work, I couldn't fully close the levers. Did you remove the small plastic insert that comes 'factory-fitted' (albeit loosely) or did that stay in place and the c/c shim sit between it and the cam on the lever? If the latter, what prevents it falling out when you open the clamp lever to the unlocked position?

mik82 22:25 Fri
In reply to Fraser:

The plastic insert remained. I can't remember whether the order was shim-insert-cam or insert-shim-cam, and don't currently have clipstick with me. It was a bit fiddly to get everything arranged but it doesn't fall out. I used an old AA card, no idea whether card thicknesses vary. 

Fraser 09:36 Sat
In reply to mik82:

No worries, thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot using your suggestion and see if that improves the grip.

petegunn 11:01 Sat
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Would be great if you could order new plastic shims ( the circular white bit ) as now if I pull one section a bit too far it falls out so the pole is then in two pieces.

The little black plastic bit also then falls out and you have to hunt around on the floor for it otherwise when you re insert the pole section the clamps dont wont. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...