NEW BOOK: Waymaking

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
premier post photo

Waymaking is an anthology of prose, poetry and artwork by women who are inspired by wild places, adventure and landscape.

Published in 1961, Gwen Moffat’s Space Below My Feet tells the story of a woman who shirked the conventions of society and chose to live a life in the mountains. Some years later in 1977, Nan Shepherd published The Living Mountain, her prose bringing each contour of the Cairngorm mountains to life. These pioneering women set a precedent for a way of writing about wilderness that isn’t about conquering landscapes, reaching higher, harder or faster, but instead about living and breathing alongside them, becoming part of a larger adventure.

The artists in this inspired collection continue Gwen and Nan’s legacies, redressing the balance of gender in outdoor adventure literature. Their creativity urges us to stop and engage our senses: the smell of rain-soaked heather, wind resonating through a col, the touch of cool rock against skin, and most importantly a taste of restoring mind, body and spirit to a former equanimity.

With contributions from adventurers including Alpinist magazine editor Katie Ives, multi-award-winning author Bernadette McDonald, adventurers Sarah Outen and Anna McNuff, renowned filmmaker Jen Randall and many more, Waymaking is an inspiring and pivotal work published in an era when wilderness conservation and gender equality are at the fore.

Vertebrate Publishing has launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise awareness about the book. Click below to find out more.

Back Waymaking on Kickstarter

Co1in H 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Vertebrate Publishing:

Please, please do back Waymaking. Let's get this published, onto the Boardman Tasker list, then shortlisted and then all the writers can come together at the Kendal Festival.

Would that not be a good thing.

Historically there have been many fine female mountain writers who did get published. Today I'm sure that there are many more women active in the outdoors. What I don't see in print though are their experiences. Maybe because so many people use blogs etc which are snapshots and not the full story.

Vertebrate are a big part of keeping mountaineering literature alive in the 21st century and bringing quality writing into the arena. There are only a few weeks left to ensure that Waymaking will be published.

Please follow the link and do what you can to help.

hokkyokusei 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

I've backed that, sounds interesting.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...