What's wrong with this picture - Boris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/live-macron-meets-johnson-after-warning-no-deal-...

Is it just me or is that picture of him with his foot on the table incredibly disrespectful ? 

Or is he thinking it makes him look strong ? 

Common tool in my mind. 

tehmarks 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

It makes him look like he doesn't have the first clue on how to conduct himself.

marsbar 22 Aug 2019

He looks like a bratty school boy. 

Rigid Raider 22 Aug 2019

People in the Middle and Far East will be shocked by that picture and the rest of the world not far behind, putting your foot on somebody's table is utterly arrogant. 

Rob Exile Ward 22 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

He is on a pretty sticky wicket. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Macron: 'Non.'

Johnson: 'Bonjour, Monsieur le President. Oh.'

Macron: 'A Bientot.'

In reply to Rigid Raider:

> People in the Middle and Far East will be shocked by that picture and the rest of the world not far behind, putting your foot on somebody's table is utterly arrogant. 

I'm glad its not just me being over sensitive ,

This is our leader and representative.  Best and brightest a meritocracy for sure. 

Bloody hell we may de doomed. ( Trying to be optimistic). 

Post edited at 16:41

I have a theory that it's what a very inadequate person might do when they feel nervous - they have a need to give a physical show of strength. It was probably almost subconscious. Then again, it could just be that he's so used to behaving slobbishly it just comes to him automatically. 

Removed User 22 Aug 2019

You're being over sensitive.

He's just trying to make the atmosphere a bit less formal.

Does anyone know what the French is for "go and boil your head"?

In reply to Removed User:

It doesn't work. It simply makes him look very awkward. And very stupid ... in that he doesn't know how to behave. In microcosm it's similar to the way he hasn't thought through the Brexit ramifications re the GFA. And just about anything else where some thoughtfulness is required.

Post edited at 16:49
 Arms Cliff 22 Aug 2019

I did wonder whether they were discussing Johnson’s shoes. 

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I have a theory that it's what a very inadequate person might do when they feel nervous - they have a need to give a physical show of strength. It was probably almost subconscious. Then again, it could just be that he's so used to behaving slobbishly it just comes to him automatically. 

Yes definitely,

Have you ever seen those cringe worthy videos of Trump rocking back and forth in his chair with his arms crossed at a lot of his meetings.  Looks like he so out of his depth and like he's got real problems with attention and acting normally.  

Awkward and uncomfortable isn't the word

tehmarks 22 Aug 2019

Based on the other photo further down, I bet he's a nightmare to sit beside on the Tube too.

Rigid Raider 22 Aug 2019

Actually looking more closely it does look as if they may have been discussing shoes, because what is Macron doing?

The picture taken out of context looks bad though.  

felt 22 Aug 2019

You never know, he might have been swinging his foot round and the photographer froze the moment when his foot was in transit, giving quite the wrong impression.

But it's unlikely. That foot in very much in character. And he's hardly earned the benefit of the doubt. Had it been Ed and a bacon sandwich, however...

In reply to felt:

> You never know, he might have been swinging his foot round and the photographer froze the moment when his foot was in transit, giving quite the wrong impression.

If he had had his legs crossed, possibly. But he hasn't; his foot is clearly resting on the table, and his hand is resting on his knee.

Macron is probably saying 'take your foot off my table, you great oaf'...

In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Actually looking more closely it does look as if they may have been discussing shoes, because what is Macron doing?

> The picture taken out of context looks bad though.  

Very perceptive  . 

Certainly could be within the realms of possiblity. 

Mmmm.   

If it is then given the amount of shots taken the news agency have picked one particularly bad to display to the world.

Which begs the debate on being impartial as it clearly sends a message .

Post edited at 17:18
 Ciro 22 Aug 2019

> You're being over sensitive.

> He's just trying to make the atmosphere a bit less formal.

He's not wearing a polo shirt, or taken his jacket off and rolled his sleeves up, or any of the other socially acceptable ways to lessen the formality of a busines wear formal gathering. Unless some scamp photographer has caught the moment as he was crossing his legs, he's bahaved like you do round a mate's house, but most people wouldn't in an office meeting, never mind an international diplomatic event.

I doubt it was nerves though - if he did take that pose he would have done it for a reason. Everything he does in public is a performance crafted to create an affable oaf persona.

wbo2 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':  he put his foot on it as a joke (Macron made) then removed it.  Read the news!

elsewhere 22 Aug 2019
In reply to wbo2:

> he put his foot on it as a joke (Macron made) then removed it.  Read the news!

I can't find that Macron joke interpretation online. Have you got a link to that?

Found it: https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2019/08/22/boris-johnson-puts-f...

Post edited at 18:12
 Enty 22 Aug 2019
In reply to wbo2:

I've just seen the footage. He still looks like a right cu................

E

wercat 22 Aug 2019

It's quite clearly a picture of him wanting a bit of shoe cleaning done by a fag

In reply to elsewhere:

> I can't find that Macron joke interpretation online. Have you got a link to that?

So it wasn't in the article I linked too.  I searched that. 

Well I can't monitor all the news online. I'm just one man.  

FactorXXX 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Enty:

> I've just seen the footage. He still looks like a right cu................

Maybe, but I think there's a fair few posters on this thread that have been made to look likewise by their enthusiasm to rubbish Boris...

In reply to FactorXXX:

It's fascinating to see how it happened. It was very brief, true, but it was as if Boris fell into a trap. I think in very clever moment, while in a deliberately jokesy mood, Macron had this flash of inspiration to mention that the table could perhaps be used as footstool - and Boris goes and does it (note that Macron himself makes no hint of doing it himself.) The shots which will be across all the UK papers tomorrow, by freezing it in time, will give no idea how fleeting it was. A disaster for Boris, a triumph for Macron, playing beautifully into his hands, showing Boris as a buffoon. It really shows above all just how stupid and uncircumspect/ imprudent Boris is. 

Rob Exile Ward 22 Aug 2019

I'm no apologist for Johnson (PLEASE let's not acquiesce to his desperation to be everyone's 'best mate') but I think you may be overthinking this...

summo 22 Aug 2019

The footage I saw showed Macron telling him to make himself at home, jokingly patting the table. Boris obliged and put his foot up for a couple of seconds and took them down. A photo was taken and thousands of people start ranting about something they only have half the story of. 

wintertree 22 Aug 2019
In reply to summo:

> The footage I saw showed Macron telling him to make himself at home, jokingly patting the table. Boris obliged and put his foot up for a couple of seconds

If Macron told him to jump off a cliff, would he?

Blunderbuss 22 Aug 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> If Macron told him to jump off a cliff, would he?

You could only hope...

Removed User 22 Aug 2019
In reply to felt:

> You never know, he might have been swinging his foot round and the photographer froze the moment when his foot was in transit, giving quite the wrong impression.

You think it was heading towards his mouth?

Removed User 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Ciro:

> He's not wearing a polo shirt, or taken his jacket off and rolled his sleeves up, or any of the other socially acceptable ways to lessen the formality of a busines wear formal gathering. Unless some scamp photographer has caught the moment as he was crossing his legs, he's bahaved like you do round a mate's house, but most people wouldn't in an office meeting, never mind an international diplomatic event.

Well I certainly wouldn't start undressing in front of my opposite number, that might totally change the atmosphere.

felt 22 Aug 2019

Nice idea, but no, not his mouth. Just in it in general, as usual.

In reply to summo:

Pictures make history. Boris with his feet on Macron's table, Kinnock stumbling into the sea, Blair playing keepy uppy with Kevin Keegan. If they capture the zeitgeist they stick. If not, they are forgotten. We will see with this picture. 

HansStuttgart 22 Aug 2019

Just as with the famous David Davis meets Barnier without having any paperwork in front of him, this picture of BJ only works because a lot of people think/want to believe BJ is a person who would do this. It wouldn't be a story if Barnier was photographed this way.

Second, I think BJ will be happy with it. Everything which draws media attention away from the impact assessments of yellowhammer is a good thing at this stage.

Something similar is going on with the 30 days deadline. Yes it means that UKgov is supposed to move on with its position on the WA and future relationship. But BJ is OK with bluffing this through for the next month. What is less picked up in the media is that it also means that there is only a very limited time left for the anti-No-Deal group in the HoC to get their act together...

pasbury 22 Aug 2019

The most offensive thing in the photo is Johnson's massive tie. Truly an attempt at misdirection.

Albert Tatlock 22 Aug 2019

Having watched  the film  clip , Bojo' s foot touching  the table  is not really  the way you describe it to be is it ? 

FactorXXX 23 Aug 2019

> It's fascinating to see how it happened. It was very brief, true, but it was as if Boris fell into a trap. I think in very clever moment, while in a deliberately jokesy mood, Macron had this flash of inspiration to mention that the table could perhaps be used as footstool - and Boris goes and does it (note that Macron himself makes no hint of doing it himself.) The shots which will be across all the UK papers tomorrow, by freezing it in time, will give no idea how fleeting it was. A disaster for Boris, a triumph for Macron, playing beautifully into his hands, showing Boris as a buffoon. It really shows above all just how stupid and uncircumspect/ imprudent Boris is. 

Oh right.
So when your decidedly amateur psychology analysis is blown out of the water you decide to take a different tack and decide that it was actually a trap orchestrated by Macron to catch out a feckless Johnson and thus ridicule him?  To be honest, you sound a bit to desperate to criticise Johnson and to the point of basically making things up to satisfy your own agenda.
Why not just admit  that you were taken in by the media and aimlessly rushed headlong into adding to the feeding frenzy of attacking Johnson? 
Won't be a problem, because we all know that he will make a genuine faux pas at some point ...

FactorXXX 23 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Maybe, but I think there's a fair few posters on this thread that have been made to look likewise by their enthusiasm to rubbish Boris...

What's wrong Dislikers, not willing to admit you made a mistake?

In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Having watched  the film  clip , Bojo' s foot touching  the table  is not really  the way you describe it to be is it ? 

Explain the way I decribe it for me please ?

Disrespectful !

Yes feet on tables are. 

Apart from that I have linked to an article that had no video in  

So my assumption stands on what information I was present with at the time in a picture

I don't cross reference every article online to check validity .  A fair bit , but not all .

I think the guy is a lying two faced clown.   But I'm hardly the most vehement critic here.

Post edited at 03:14
 Blunderbuss 23 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Oh right.

> So when your decidedly amateur psychology analysis is blown out of the water you decide to take a different tack and decide that it was actually a trap orchestrated by Macron to catch out a feckless Johnson and thus ridicule him?  To be honest, you sound a bit to desperate to criticise Johnson and to the point of basically making things up to satisfy your own agenda.

> Why not just admit  that you were taken in by the media and aimlessly rushed headlong into adding to the feeding frenzy of attacking Johnson? 

> Won't be a problem, because we all know that he will make a genuine faux pas at some point ...

Poor Boris  

Such an upstanding, honest chap being mis-represented by the media and punters throughout the country...

rj_townsend 23 Aug 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> He looks like a bratty school boy. 

Let's add "public" and "arrogant" to that. And perhaps "oafish".

JoshOvki 23 Aug 2019

I was taken in by it. It comes as a stark reminder not to trust what you read in the press. Sucks that now we have to cross reference everything and even then it could be wrong!

FactorXXX 23 Aug 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I was taken in by it. It comes as a stark reminder not to trust what you read in the press. Sucks that now we have to cross reference everything and even then it could be wrong!

Yet people are still Liking the posts at the start of the thread.

Postmanpat 23 Aug 2019

> It's fascinating to see how it happened. It was very brief, true, but it was as if Boris fell into a trap. I think in very clever moment, while in a deliberately jokesy mood, Macron had this flash of inspiration to mention that the table could perhaps be used as footstool - and Boris goes and does it (note that Macron himself makes no hint of doing it himself.) The shots which will be across all the UK papers tomorrow, by freezing it in time, will give no idea how fleeting it was. A disaster for Boris, a triumph for Macron, playing beautifully into his hands, showing Boris as a buffoon.

>

Never trust a froggie eh, Gordon!

To borrow a phrase; the level of paranoid xenophobia from remainers is just insane

Post edited at 09:46
 Trangia 23 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> It makes him look like he doesn't have the first clue on how to conduct himself.

He hasn't. Have you noticed that when he shakes hands with people he doesn't look them in the eyes, in fact he is usually looking away? He's an oaf, and a rude one at that.

DancingOnRock 23 Aug 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

You don’t have to cross reference anything.

Unless you’re about to jump on the bandwagon.

If I see a photo of Boris and a headline, I know immediately it’s a set up. Either by the media, or Boris himself. It’s not rocket science. The whole political circus at the moment relies on creating false information and impressions and pandering to people’s entrenched dogmatic views. 

DancingOnRock 23 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

It’s the post truth world of populism, jingoism and bandwagons. 

Nempnett Thrubwell 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> He hasn't. Have you noticed that when he shakes hands with people he doesn't look them in the eyes, in fact he is usually looking away? He's an oaf, and a rude one at that.

Yet he somehow has manged to attain one of the highest if not the highest appointments (depending on your view - England head rugby coach my just pip the PM job ) in the country.

I'm off to hone my rudeness and oafish skills.

Neither of the above. You've taken this picture taken out of context, because you didn't bother to read the story on the BBC. I wouldn't vote for the guy, but it's always irritating that people can't be bothered to do the simplest bit of checking before posting their outrage. But that's the internet innit.

Albert Tatlock 23 Aug 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Absolutely correct, that's my point. How about people find out the truth before spouting opinions based on 'fake news'. Honestly the gullible nature of some people never fails to astound me. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

FactorXXX 24 Aug 2019
In reply to all the original 'Likers':

Genuine question: Now that you know this was fake news, why don't you delete your 'Likes'?

Clauso 24 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Oh right.

> So when your decidedly amateur psychology analysis is blown out of the water you decide to take a different tack and decide that it was actually a trap orchestrated by Macron to catch out a feckless Johnson and thus ridicule him?  To be honest, you sound a bit to desperate to criticise Johnson and to the point of basically making things up to satisfy your own agenda.

Yeah, shut up Gordon ya daft sod... I'm certainly no fan of BoJo, but even I can discern that this footstool thing was clearly of no real consequence... More pressing matters to worry about than that.

Blunderbuss 24 Aug 2019

> Absolutely correct, that's my point. How about people find out the truth before spouting opinions based on 'fake news'. Honestly the gullible nature of some people never fails to astound me. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Brexit summed up in a nutshell....

snoop6060 24 Aug 2019

He did it as a joke apparently talking about formalities and took it straight off. So the picture takes it totally out of context. He had his foot on for about a millisecond.

In reply to snoop6060:

> He did it as a joke apparently talking about formalities and took it straight off. So the picture takes it totally out of context. He had his foot on for about a millisecond.

Yes.  It wasn't stated in the article I originally posted but I accept that.  Not very good reporting or choice of photo. 

My original point apart from thinking Boris is a div is that it's very disrespectful .  

Which I still stand by and I think is still valid question if other people think feet on tables is acceptable in a business meeting .   Sets a bad image and example. 

wercat 24 Aug 2019

I'm sorry, my comment stands - it (the picture, not the video) looks like a prefect demanding a shoe clean from his fag!

In reply to wercat:

Macron is as bad for encouraging him. Sneaky little sh1ite.

machine 25 Aug 2019

What a guy. The saviour of England. it would have been sweet if he had a dollop of Urtha kit on his shoe and shoved it in Makrons face

Pan Ron 25 Aug 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Genuine question: Now that you know this was fake news, why don't you delete your 'Likes'?

They've moved on to the next outrage I imagine.  You would hope this would create grounds for pause, and a consideration of how many other everyday headlines, articles and angles they've swallowed are misrepresentations of reality.  Perhaps with that a reconsideration of whether there really is pro-Tory/Brexit bias.

Post edited at 12:21
 Blunderbuss 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> They've moved on to the next outrage I imagine.  You would hope this would create grounds for pause, and a consideration of how many other everyday headlines, articles and angles they've swallowed are misrepresentations of reality.  Perhaps with that a reconsideration of whether there really is pro-Tory/Brexit bias.

I think you are taking this a little bit too seriously, especially after the so called 'victim' is a serial liar and around shyster...

In reply to Pan Ron:

> You would hope this would create grounds for pause, and a consideration of how many other everyday headlines, articles and angles they've swallowed are misrepresentations of reality.

That's a bit ironic. considering that one of the main reasons we're in this shit state is decades of everyday headlines misrepresenting the EU, many of those stories written by one Boris Johnson. And he hasn't stopped; the recent kipper packagaing story, for instance.

elsewhere 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

I am again reassured that it is somebody else at fault. I salute your indefatigable consistency.

In reply to Pan Ron:

> They've moved on to the next outrage I imagine.  You would hope this would create grounds for pause, and a consideration of how many other everyday headlines, articles and angles they've swallowed are misrepresentations of reality. 

Which bit of 'Traitor' and 'Enemy of the People' across a daily paper did I swallow? Or was it just a figment of my imagination? 

> Perhaps with that a reconsideration of whether there really is pro-Tory/Brexit bias.

Have a round of applause 👏. 

Post edited at 18:15
Pan Ron 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Right.  By the opponents of Boris misrepresenting and getting this wrong, with no apparent acknowledgement of the error and instead resorting to whataboutery, that solves what exactly?

Lies fix lies? A moral high ground is gained by competitive falsehoods? 

I used to feel there was a right and wrong side, but if it came to it again I'm starting to think I'd rather abstain than vote Remain again. Neither side appears more honest.

Post edited at 00:02
 elsewhere 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

> I used to feel there was a right and wrong side

A beginner's mistake for many topics. Embrace nuance and you will realise whilst neither side is perfect they are not equally dishonest.

FactorXXX 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Pan Ron:

>   Perhaps with that a reconsideration of whether there really is pro-Tory/Brexit bias.

Not sure about any media bias, but saying that, imagine the outrage if Corbyn had been similarly treated by the media - The likes of Owen Jones would be screaming blue murder about it.

In reply to Pan Ron:

> Right.  By the opponents of Boris misrepresenting and getting this wrong, with no apparent acknowledgement of the error and instead resorting to whataboutery,

I'm to assume you're talking about the picture of Johnson with his foot up? Not got a dog in this fight. 

> that solves what exactly?

Interesting that you use that word 'solve'. Usually used alongside 'problem'. Who was it that stood next to a big red bus? Save your tears. 

> Lies fix lies? A moral high ground is gained by competitive falsehoods? 

Show me the equivalence of the bus, the Turkey joining EU, the easiest deal in history etc from the remain side? And please don't say Project Fear after the Yellowhammer leak. 

> I used to feel there was a right and wrong side, but if it came to it again I'm starting to think I'd rather abstain than vote Remain again. Neither side appears more honest.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> >   Perhaps with that a reconsideration of whether there really is pro-Tory/Brexit bias.

> Not sure about any media bias, but saying that, imagine the outrage if Corbyn had been similarly treated by the media -

You're kidding right? You don't remember the near daily onslaught in certain newspapers and news channels? Unf*ckingbelievable. 

> The likes of Owen Jones would be screaming blue murder about it.

He took a kicking for it. 

Mark Bannan 26 Aug 2019

If he really hates the French so much and wanted to break wind, the least he could have done was not to raise his leg as a conspicuous signal of his intent.

Andy Gamisou 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> If he really hates the French so much and wanted to break wind, the least he could have done was not to raise his leg as a conspicuous signal of his intent.

It is an historical fact, is it not, that it is the French that fart in the general direction of the English.  There was a documentary on the subject in cinemas a few decades ago, I think.  The same one that dealt with the topic of the knights that day "Ni!", unless I'm very much mistaken.

Post edited at 19:59
 Mark Bannan 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Yeah - cheers for reminding me. I believe that documentary also covered the subject of whether an African swallow could carry a coconut to England. A thorough factual description of the Castle Anthrax was also shown.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...