Sauce for roast duck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Dec 2020

Any suggestions for a good sauce for roast duck that will go with all the usual Xmas trimmings? I think something involving cherry or orange won't fit too well. I will have a good homemade chicken stock to base it around.

Cheers!

marsbar 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Plum?  

ripper 21 Dec 2020

Something with both sweetness and acidity, at a guess. So, I've never tried this combo, but maybe cranberry?

Blue Straggler 21 Dec 2020

something apricot based 

Route Adjuster 21 Dec 2020

Redcurrant is what I'm doing.   With red wine.

Removed User 21 Dec 2020

Yuzu. Lemony without being sour, orangey without being tangy.

Hat Dude 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

> Redcurrant is what I'm doing.   With red wine.

I add a splash of balsamic vinegar and some crushed  green peppercorns (the ones that come in pots of brine, which unfortunately seem to be getting hard to get hold of in this country)

nikoid 21 Dec 2020

Blackberries if you have any left in the freezer.

Route Adjuster 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Hat Dude:

I'm with you on the balsamic, never tried the peppercorns though. Usually start the sauce off with finely chopped shallots (in the pan used to seal the duck), then add the balsamic & red wine, reduce down to desired stickiness then stir in the redcurrant jelly.

nikoid 21 Dec 2020

What about mango?

Lankyman 21 Dec 2020

> Any suggestions for a good sauce for roast duck that will go with all the usual Xmas trimmings? I think something involving cherry or orange won't fit too well. I will have a good homemade chicken stock to base it around.

> Cheers!

HP. Goes with anything.

Mal Grey 21 Dec 2020

Also thinking redcurrant, though my favourite thing to go with duck is honey and pear.

S11 21 Dec 2020

I can recommend a sauce of grapefruit and honey which I have cooked a few times.

Albert Tatlock 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> HP. Goes with anything.

Daddies sauce would be much nicer. 

aln 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

> Yuzu. Lemony without being sour, orangey without being tangy.

Are you sure? The only time I tasted this was last year as part of a 7 course tasting menu. It was bitter, and the only thing I didn't like in the meal. 

Baron Weasel 21 Dec 2020

I'm doing duck for Christmas and I'll use chicken stock for my gravy base as it's a big hit with the family. 

What I was reading regarding cooking duck is that for extra crispy skin you can pour a kettle full of boiling water over the bird an hour before cooking and then it dry off. 

mick taylor 21 Dec 2020

I reckon the typical fruity based sauce that many duck recipes include doesn’t work with typical roast diner trimmings (guessing you’re thinking similar?).  I would go for a standard gravy, possibly enriched with port, and some sweet and tangy jelly (red currant with some grated orange zest and lemon juice?) or a chutney. 

mick taylor 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Get the hair dryer on it after scolding - did this with pork and it worked a treat

Lankyman 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Daddies sauce would be much nicer. 

What a pleb!

Fozzy 21 Dec 2020

I had duck breast for dinner last night (wild mallard, shot by myself the day before). I seared the breasts in a pan, using just their own fat, and smeared them (nicer culinary terms surely available) with a very sharp homemade damson chutney when they were resting. It was delicious! 

I know you've ruled out orange but with duck I always do cranberries reduced in Cointreau with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a cheeky very tiny dash of soy sauce to make it pop. Worked well with roast spuds, carrot, beetroot and parsnips. Can't vouch for the pairing with sprouts. 

Removed User 21 Dec 2020
In reply to aln:

> Are you sure? The only time I tasted this was last year as part of a 7 course tasting menu. It was bitter, and the only thing I didn't like in the meal. 

Depends how it's done. Yuzu is kind of the neutral overlap in the citrus scene, yet still a robust flavour, so possible to bring out any of several flavours, and being citric, bitter will always be in there. In north Asia it's often done as a salty, umami thing similar to how plums also are often seen as savoury not sweet like they can be in western food.

Cobra_Head 21 Dec 2020

Warm salad cream

Removed User 21 Dec 2020

Thanks for the inspiration all. I will probably go with redcurrants and red wine. The cranberries in cointraeau sounds pretty awesome but I can't be fcuked to head to a supermarket any time soon!

kamala 21 Dec 2020

Our (German) family recipe was always to roast the duck with a filling of apples and prunes. Gives you a juicy, fruity meat and the gravy is really rich. No need for a separate fruity sauce with that, and I remember guests were always very impressed.

I don't cook it myself as I'm now pescatarian (so I suppose I could eat goose ). But I'm passing the idea on here just in case someone else likes the sound of it...

Plasynant 22 Dec 2020

Reduce some red wine and port add the chicken stock reduce again , add a touch of red currant jelly and blanched julienne of orange peel. You could thicken it slightly with a touch of diluted arrowroot whisked in . Season salt and ground black pepper . 
Bon appetite! . 

Pyn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...