Ravens in my garden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 28 Mar 2024

There's a recent history of ravens nesting near us, but hadn't seen one for a couple of years. When I looked out of the window about 6.30 (early for me!) there were 3 on the lawn. The picture adversely affected by lack of recent window cleaning, but still quite nice.

65 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Fantastic. The first jackdaw appeared this morning. Last year was the first year we had them, they give the magpies a taste of their own medicine when it comes to nest-worrying.

Billhook 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Lucky you.....

jimtitt 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The kestrels are back nesting in my roof, produced seven last year in two broods. Noisy.

Abr 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Similar over here in western peak Rog….usually one or two knocking around this time of year but at least 4 or 5 times that so far!!

Bottom Clinger 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Never had them in my garden, but this was in a neighbours tree last January. Magnificent birds, you’re lucky. 

OP Rog Wilko 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Im hoping to see some nice love making flying tricks. Do they do that or am I just thinking of eagles?

Bottom Clinger 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Im hoping to see some nice love making flying tricks. Do they do that or am I just thinking of eagles?

They do do it. Saw it from me bedroom windows last month.  It’s called tumbling. You should try it

OP Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I think my tumbling days are behind me.

Darron 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Talking of Ravens. I was up at Caer Caradoc a few weeks ago and there were 40(!) around the summit area. Never seen that before.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was walking through a graveyard in Edinburgh recently and one was calling very throatily from the tree. We also are friends with one in a rescue centre in the Czech Republic who loves to be stroked and cries out for ages as you walk away 😔

https://youtu.be/Iu5Ny5PW_Lw?si=607WXJ0yQbaRlvya&t=434

aln 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The window cleaner has been chased off by the big scary birds.

The picture adversely affected by lack of recent window cleaning

aln 29 Mar 2024
In reply to 65:

> The first jackdaw appeared this morning.

They're everywhere all year. Do you not live in the UK anymore? 

Michael Hood 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A few years ago on a late spring walk in the Lakes I came across a family of Ravens; the 2 adults were cronking away but it became obvious that the other 2 were youngsters because their voices hadn't broken yet. Really quite funny but sort of cute.

jon 01 Apr 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Rog, I came across a HUGE raven's nest (that's a huge nest, not raven) at the Gigondas Dentelles, in a route called La Fissure en S (6a+). Hilary lead it in one 60m pitch as she didn't want to stop at the nest. When I got to the nest I was amused to find that it contained, amongst lots of other stuff, a purple chiffon scarf and a pair of tights ! Kinky raven - or just a common thief ??

Post edited at 10:11
OP Rog Wilko 01 Apr 2024
In reply to jon:

I once had, on lead, a jackdaw fly out from a crack into my face. That was bad enough, but a raven would be worse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...