Ospreys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tringa 09 Mar 2024

Anyone seen any returning ospreys this year.

In the last week there have been sightings in Wiltshire, Norfolk, Leighton Moss, Loch of Lowes and Munlochy, and other places too.

Dave

arch 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Tringa:

As part of our job, we've put three platforms up for them in the north Leicestershire area. As far as I know, none of them are being used yet, although one has been visited.

Post edited at 13:01
OP Tringa 09 Mar 2024
In reply to arch:

Read today that the female at the Loch of Lowes is on the nest, though alone at present. Given the location of Loch of Lowes it seems odd it is one of the first nests to be occupied.

Dave

jonfun21 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Tringa:

Not back at Rutland Water yet 

https://www.lrwt.org.uk/rutlandospreys

Also a plug for a new book one of my friends has just had published:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/osprey-9781472992628/

+ the charity

https://www.ospreylf.org

Bottom Clinger 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Tringa:

My sense is that if the ospreys know that their nest site is a ‘prime’ nest site, then they will rush back early and grab it before anyone else does, and then protect it from intruders. 

In reply to jonfun21:

Hope the book does well.

Took this photo last year.  

In reply to Tringa:

Good news and it seems that that’s the first Osprey known to return to a nest, though Ospreys have been back in the UK for a week or so generally.

Return to Loch of Lowes is usually only second to the Rutland nest so not unexpected though earlier than last year. I’ve heard the same as Bottom Clinger said about re-claiming prime nests.

If anyone wants to follow Osprey arrivals on the monitored nest sites, the Roy Dennis Foundation keep a database and this is the the 2024 one 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQkNtj5rXvqob-clC4lbH1H4dpI4Fqs... .

Post edited at 16:33
 jonfun21 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

That’s a great photo 

Michael Hood 09 Mar 2024
In reply to arch:

> As part of our job, we've put three platforms up for them in the north Leicestershire area. As far as I know, none of them are being used yet, although one has been visited.

I presume Swithland res - hope ospreys tolerate hobby - which are seen hawking there so presumably breed somewhere fairly local

Cropston res? about as public as it gets

And guessing now, Thornton res or Staunton Harold tes

In reply to jonfun21:

Thanks. My memory card read ‘full’ as soon as I took that photo !  

arch 10 Mar 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

Swithland/Cropston. I wasn't present for this one, but the rest of our team were. 

One for Thornton, and one for Blackbrook.

Edit: They are not very tall, maybe 8mts at most, and slap bang in the middle of the field, but on the flight path to the reservoirs. 

Post edited at 10:14
 Lankyman 10 Mar 2024
In reply to Tringa:

I might have briefly seen one as I drove past Leighton Moss by the railway crossing? An unfamiliar raptor was flapping overhead against a grey sky. The only other contender I can think of was marsh harrier.

Raymondo 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Tringa:

Always great to see an Osprey flying along the coast, we are blessed in Oz as they are relatively common here. As I have not posted a picture on UKC directly (ever IIRC), now seems like a good time to try.

Let hope this works.....

Edit : OMG so easy !

Post edited at 06:59

Wimlands 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Raymondo:

Great picture…gorgeous blue sky…

Lankyman 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Raymondo:

Great picture. What kind of migratory journey do Australian ospreys undertake? Assuming they do.

Raymondo 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Wimlands:

Thank you mate.

Blue sky -> Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next (apart from the 300mm we had in 3 hours recently

Raymondo 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks Lankyman.

Mmm I'll have to look into whether they migrate or not, I'm not sure. I'm presuming they don't, but happy be corrected. Lot's of surprising birds that you don't expect actually do a north south migration here in Oz.

OP Tringa 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Raymondo:

A number of osprey live webcams are coming online now. Two of the best IMO to dip into now and again are those at Loch Arkaig -

youtube.com/watch?v=--l_qKzu2kE&

youtube.com/watch?v=cThAEtbegKk&

I don't think the ospreys are back yet but a few days ago a pair of buzzards were showing an interest in one of the nests.

Dave

In reply to Tringa:

Looked in past a local osprey nest site today and no nest! Five or so years of built up nest material has disappeared over the winter. Apparently winter high winds.

Will be interested if the same pair rebuild there this year or not.

loose overhang 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Here in BC, we see a lot of ospreys.  Along the Columbia Valley towards the south to the Bugaboos, and along the coast, N of Seattle. We see lots of birds.  Now we see the migrating birds: ... terns, ducks, swans, geese.  I think the coast ospreys live around here year-round.  All seem to be going north. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...