No Invoice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chopper 22 Nov 2020

Two weeks ago I had an electrician in to do a minor job which I didn't have time to do myself. It was easily DIYable. Before he came I asked if he charge for call outs and he said yes - £30.

He came along and did the work quite quickly and said it was £30 +VAT. I asked how he wanted paying and he said he would prefer cash. I said that I didn't have enough cash on me; could he accept a BACS payment. He seemed happy with that and I gave him my email address so that he could send me his bank details. I followed up with a text message to him confirming my email.

I've still not had anything giving me his bank details. In the circumstances would anyone else bother hastening him again?

Maybe I'm just a bit worried that he might come banging on the door saying that he'd sent me an email(which obviously hasn't arrived) asking where his money is.

AdrianC 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Could it be in your spam box?

OP Chopper 22 Nov 2020
In reply to AdrianC:

> Could it be in your spam box?

No, checked that

john arran 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

What would be the problem with a follow-up text message to check that his email hasn't gone astray?

OP Chopper 22 Nov 2020
In reply to john arran:

> What would be the problem with a follow-up text message to check that his email hasn't gone astray?

Fair point but how many "follow ups"?

Blue Straggler 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Are you hoping to get away with not paying him, or are you worried about hassling him for the invoice?

Hopefully the latter and I would wait two more weeks and then contact him.

My plumber can take 7-9 weeks to issue invoices. Obviously as I already know this, I don’t chase unless it gets to 12 weeks. Admittedly the difference here is that it’s “snail mail” hard copy invoice. Same for my office cleaner. 

If it were a large amount and I felt uneasy about it burning a hole in my pocket then I might be more inclined to chase. 

Post edited at 10:12
OP Chopper 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Are you hoping to get away with not paying him, or are you worried about hassling him for the invoice?

No/yes

(I will chase in about two weeks.}

Post edited at 10:13
In reply to Chopper:

Sounds reasonable. I don’t think you have cause to worry about him “knocking on your door” with menace 😀 But best keep £36 cash handy just in case 😀

marsbar 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

In my experience some of the people with the great skills at electrics plumbing etc are not the people with the best skills at organising.  

I wouldn't over think it. 

If you know where he lives and it's not inconvenient shove an envelope with the cash through his door with your address on it.  

If not then a reminder text message is fine.

I can't see any sparky bothering you over a small bill you've agreed to pay.  

Kevster 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Tradesmen are not always the finest when it comes to back office/ paperwork. 
I know tradespeople who simply dont invoice all their customers because they dont have effective systems in place that they follow.

If you want the tax man to get their £6 Vat, I'd suggest bank transfer however. 

Supporting your local tradesman and supporting the tax system are 2 different strands to the discussion. I'd feel a little more uneasy about not paying the tradesman tbh - thats his roof over his head, food on the table etc.

In reply to Kevster:

I don't see any mention of anyone trying to avoid VAT in this case. At least not until you brought it up. 

Plasynant 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Why don’t you just phone and ask ? 

Dax H 22 Nov 2020

> I don't see any mention of anyone trying to avoid VAT in this case. At least not until you brought it up. 

There is generally only one reason to ask for cash. 

Bacon Butty 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Kevster:

> If you want the tax man to get their £6 Vat, I'd suggest bank transfer however. 

Why the f*ck would any of us give a flying shit about £6 of VAT when this so called govt is dishing out 100s of millions, if not billions, of £s to their cronies?

I know I don't.

In reply to Dax H:

> There is generally only one reason to ask for cash. 

There IS that, but the order of the words in the OP is this
"said it was £30 +VAT. I asked how he wanted paying and he said he would prefer cash"

Maybe I leapt to a conclusion. Maybe others leapt to the opposite conclusion. Either way, nobody explicitly mentioned VAT avoidance until Kevster

Dax H 22 Nov 2020

You are correct, maybe I just see the worse in people buy my feeling it it was probably a labour only job, no parts means zero audit trail so he will probably trouser the extra £6.

Blunderbuss 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

I had a bloke do a gas safety check in July on a property I own and he still hasn't billed me. I sent him two messages to tell him I had received no invoice and on both occasions he said he would send one...can't be arsed chasing it up again....i do wonder why he hasn't bothered to bill me though. 

Dax H 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

> Why the f*ck would any of us give a flying shit about £6 of VAT when this so called govt is dishing out100s of millions, if not billions, of £s to their cronies?

> I know I don't.

They may have given hundreds of millions to their mates but they also spend billions on things like schools, NHS, parks, roads etc. £844 billion in 2019.

You have me convinced though, I'm going to stop paying my taxes. 

flatlandrich 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

As marsbar and kevester said, good trades people are often really busy. When we finish a day we don't want to spend the evening stuck in the office doing paper work. So invoicing often gets left till we get a quiet day or a time when we can't work, like when the van's in for a service or really bad weather days. I'm sure you'll get one in due course. 

J101 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

I often don't get round to invoicing small amounts until the end of the month, I wouldn't sweat it.

jimtitt 22 Nov 2020
In reply to J101:

Jeez you're organised, end of the quarter is good, end of the year maybe a bit slow.

J101 22 Nov 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Well, after posting that I've realised I need to invoice for some work done in July so not that organised!

Dax H 22 Nov 2020
In reply to J101:

There are a lot of programs out there that will automatically turn your quote in to an invoice when your customer signs off the job on your phone. Might be worth looking at. 

OP Chopper 22 Nov 2020

Thanks all. I'll send him another text or phone him in a couple of weeks. I shall then consider the ball well and truly in his court.

Just that I didn't want any misunderstanding because he seemed a decent chap, he was punctual and did the job quickly and with no fuss. In short a chap I would be happy to use again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...