moor fires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheffieldchris 02 Jun 2020

Just got back from a look around Dovestones edge. large fire started around 3 in afternoon. Watched from the high point on the other side of the road after walking up to the monument.

Fire went from a bit of smoke in a small bit to within 30 minutes to a raging fire half a square kilometer large, 6 fire engines all at bottom and a hard slog for teams to get up to fire.

The whole main path area around the lakes was absolutely packed, car parks full, road sides blocked. I fully accept calls of hypocrite for being there as well, I was however on less well trodden paths, not carrying half a weeks worth of shopping, did not finish my drink and believe the plastic bottle would simply cease to exist if I threw it to the side of the path, (I often carry a bag to pick up plastic bottles, but forgot today, I would have needed 5 big black bin bags to pick up the rubbish) 

I was also not in groups of 10+ having a picnic.

The fire started at the side of a path near a very nice flat spot by a stream, I am sure the amount of people around at the time and the fire starting are completely coincidental!!!!!

Also on way past Warncliffe crag there were about 4 separate fires.

God bless the great British public. 

ste_d 02 Jun 2020
In reply to sheffieldchris:

Here, buy one of these if you are feeling a wane in your patriotism

https://www.amazon.co.uk/union-jack-plastic-bowler-hat/dp/B004IK6ADE 

Tom Valentine 02 Jun 2020

Which monument?

Billhook 02 Jun 2020

Look, the riff raff have escaped.   They've all been encouraged by the good news of the end of lock-down to get out and explore a little beyond their narrow horizons - I guess netflix and other TV induced crap gets to them.  

They probably thought the the countryside needed livening up a bit - have some empathy!

Bacon Butty 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Which monument?

Must be Ashway.
I'm really impressed that he legged it down to Warncliffe and back and it's still not dark

ste_d 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

Twill be the war memorial at alderman or pots and pans

Great view of ashway gap from there

Denzil 02 Jun 2020

Roadside parking on the A635 has been chaos. Cars having to drive onto the footpath to get past at times, and problems today getting emergency vehicles through for the fire. Council are doing double yellow lines both sides all the way up at the end of the week. There’s already double white lines in the middle so parking is illegal, but people don’t seem to be aware of rule 240. 

mwr72 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Denzil:

> Roadside parking on the A635 has been chaos. Cars having to drive onto the footpath to get past at times, and problems today getting emergency vehicles through for the fire. Council are doing double yellow lines both sides all the way up at the end of the week. There’s already double white lines in the middle so parking is illegal, but people don’t seem to be aware of rule 240. 

Agreed that the parking has been chaos, the busiest I've seen was Tuesday just 10 minutes after the fire had started by which time about 10-15 acres had burned.

The parking hasn't been so bad though that you have to drive up on the footway, the cars are parked there, so passable in both directions. 

The double white lines are only on part of this section of road which is mainly a solid single white line and a broken white line. As for the yellow line, they are only painting a single yellow line up there(at the moment). 

Tom Valentine 04 Jun 2020
In reply to mwr72:

You couldn't drive up on Sunday without giving way to down hill traffic because there were several points where there were not two car widths available.

Enty 04 Jun 2020

If they catch them they should give the Fire service bill to the perps. There needs to be some sort of effective deterrent.

When we moved in down here a guy in a village close by put the embers from his fire in a metal bucket and put it out in the back yard. At the time there was a 50kmh Mistral blowing. The lid came off the bucket.........you know the rest........about 10ha of forest went up

Later he got the bill............€55,000.

E

Timmd 04 Jun 2020
In reply to Enty: That's a great idea (the giving of the bill). 

mwr72 04 Jun 2020
In reply to mwr72:

> Agreed that the parking has been chaos, the busiest I've seen was Tuesday just 10 minutes after the fire had started by which time about 10-15 acres had burned.

> The parking hasn't been so bad though that you have to drive up on the footway, the cars are parked there, so passable in both directions. 

> The double white lines are only on part of this section of road which is mainly a solid single white line and a broken white line. As for the yellow line, they are only painting a single yellow line up there(at the moment). 

Edit. 

The burned area, although this morning there was no smoke is now smouldering quite badly. 

Re the lines, 

When I passed this morning they were painting a single yellow each side of the road, that was near the bottom of the road. There are now double yellows all the way from the 50 signs by the bottom layby running all the way uphill on the left to the small layby opposite the farm. 

Monk 04 Jun 2020
In reply to mwr72:

> The double white lines are only on part of this section of road which is mainly a solid single white line and a broken white line. As for the yellow line, they are only painting a single yellow line up there(at the moment). 

In terms of the law, it's illegal to park on a road with any double line system. Doesn't matter if they are solid or not (as I once found out to my cost...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...