How it's done elsewhere in the world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 19 Oct 2019

I've made the point to friends a few times in the past months that if the current UK situation was occurring in many other places in the world - even as close as France, I'd wager - there wouldn't be a Parliament Square packed with placard-waving protestors. There'd be riots. Violence. Real anger.

So today, while looking out of the window at work down onto a Parliament Square full of placard-waving protestors, I thought it was quite apt that Santiago is in the news over Metro fare increases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50106743

Compare and contrast the differing approaches. I would never condone violence - but if no one wants to listen to the people, at what point do the people need to make their anger truly felt?

Post edited at 16:37
Pan Ron 19 Oct 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

The problem here is, which "voice of the people" should/would be rioting?  Strikes me that either side would be justified, which is perhaps the reason why there isn't as much chaos as you might expect. 

Dax H 19 Oct 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Personally I am very happy to live in a country that is pretty good at non violent protests. 

In this particular case if remain got violent and brexit was dropped then it would open the door for leave to become violent.

The violence in Chilly is against the state for increasing fares, the violence in France was against the state over fuel duty increases. 

Brexit isn't against the state, its half the population against half the population with a bunch of total incompetents at the top trying to do the best they can / line their own pockets (depending on your view point) 

If violence kicks off it will be more akin to civil war than a protest. 

pasbury 23 Oct 2019
In reply to Dax H:

Remember also that it’s the total incompetents at the top that created the division in the first place.

Billhook 23 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

And voted in by the British Public.

pasbury 23 Oct 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Some of the British public - check your percentages for the last five elections.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...