Getting jabbed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arcturus 05 Feb 2021

We got our jabs today. The whole process was very impressive . Letters arrived in the post. Booked online with no issues including the April follow up. Offered several locations. Picked one within 15 miles. Just a small pharmacy which had shown great entrepreneurial spirit and organised it in some kind of community room next door. Well organised parking marshals, well organised check-in, lovely chatty staff. In and out in about 10 minutes including a short queue. Driving home we reflected on it all. It really is an amazing achievement to do this. 11 million and counting. Everyone involved deserves massive credit from the carpark volunteers to the top of government. Credit when due, we should be proud of this. Let’s hope it continues until everyone has been done.

The Lemming 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

I'm hoping that people can add their first-hand observations of going through the Vaccine Process can help others make an informed decision when they are offered the jab later this year.

Would you be willing to add your experience to the topic?

I'm hoping that will create a counterbalance to negative or inaccurate theories circulating on the internet.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/first_hand_observations_of_covi...

Chopper 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

We got done yesterday at a theatre/conference centre. Like you we were very impressed with the way the venue had been effectively converted into a hospital. The staff were incredible with civilians backed up by RAF personnel.

I assumed that we would walk in with various details being given and we would sit down, have the jab and then out after the 15 minute rest time. So I was all the more impressed when I was ushered into cubicle and a gentleman came up and introduced himself as Dr ****** and spent nearly ten minutes telling me about the vaccine, its effectiveness etc and then asking what I was doing during lockdown and if I had any questions. We even got round to talking for a minute or so about hill walking. All very well organised and far from an unpleasant experience.

As you say, a lot of credit is due all round including, I think, to Kate Bingham.

Billhook 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Mrs B Hook and myself got done a week or two ago.  Simple.  Someone phoned me, asked if I wanted the vaccine at our local centre (a large sports hall/theatre), gave me a date & Time on the following sunday.  

Well organised.  Parking signed and attendants, ushered into the hall, name taken, given a seat in the "IN" area, a minute later called to one of the 'cubicles', asked some simple questions, had the jab, asked to wait in the "Out" area for 15mins, then left.  

Quite simple and well organised

I later found out that some of the volunteers had been there for the full 12 hour shift!!

Andy DB 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Got done yesterday as part of Mountain Rescue. The ambulance service in here have spare capacity + vaccine and have decided to also vaccinate partner agencies. 

All very efficient turned up at the training school and filled in consent form in car park. Then ushered through and jabbed by some 3 pip para, clearly only the highest ranked staff vaccinate here! Then out with a booking for second dose. Overall a good experience.

Side effects from AZ where no worse than a moderate hangover and have certainly had worse from over indulgence. 

In reply to Arcturus:

> In and out in about 10

No 15 minute wait for anaphylaxis?

Cobra_Head 06 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> No 15 minute wait for anaphylaxis?

I liked their, Window Licker, not sure it was 15 minutes though!

girlymonkey 06 Feb 2021

That's only with the Pfizer one. The AZ doesn't require that I don't think

In reply to Arcturus:

After much messing about with the booking I have finally managed to book for my mother's jabs .  

Much relieved.  

Trangia 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

I had my first jab a week ago. Like the others I was very impressed at the slick and well organised operation in practice. Got a text from the NHS offering me the choice of 4 slots over two days, so I chose the first which was two days later. Given a time slot of 20 mins. and asked not to arrive either too early or too late. Arrived on time. Checked in at a desk, then asked to wait in a wide corridor with socially distanced chairs along both sides. It took about 10 mins to work through the queue here before going into a large hall with more socially distanced chairs. Could see at least 10 vaccine stations spaced round the large hall, and after another 5 mins I was called forward to one, The lady doing the vaccine was very friendly. She rechecked my details, gave me a brief talk on possible side effects to watch out for, and what to do if I experienced any, then gave me he jab - I could chose which arm. Completely painless, I didn't feel a thing.  I was then asked to go and wait in another area with several dozen socially distanced chairs and told to wait for 15 mins in case of any reaction before discharging myself.

No side effects apart from a slightly sore arm the next day. No worse than any other jab I've had I the past, and it was gone by the next morning.

I had the Pfiser vaccination. Have been told I will be contacted when it's time for the second jab.

OP Arcturus 06 Feb 2021

No wait on the way out. Their standard verbal questions included the usual ones about known allergies etc. And she did say we could have a sit down before driving off if we wished, (they did have a few chairs by the exit but nobody was using them) but it was all so straightforward and painless in every sense of the word there didn’t seem to be any need.

she said we might experience some mild after effects like a headache and stuff but so far neither of us has experienced anything.

In reply to Trangia:

> I had my first jab a week ago. Like the others I was very impressed at the slick and well organised operation in practice. Got a text from the NHS offering me the choice of 4 slots over two days, so I chose the first which was two days later. Given a time slot of 20 mins. and asked not to arrive either too early or too late. Arrived on time. Checked in at a desk, then asked to wait in a wide corridor with socially distanced chairs along both sides. It took about 10 mins to work through the queue here before going into a large hall with more socially distanced chairs. Could see at least 10 vaccine stations spaced round the large hall, and after another 5 mins I was called forward to one, The lady doing the vaccine was very friendly. She rechecked my details, gave me a brief talk on possible side effects to watch out for, and what to do if I experienced any, then gave me he jab - I could chose which arm. Completely painless, I didn't feel a thing.  I was then asked to go and wait in another area with several dozen socially distanced chairs and told to wait for 15 mins in case of any reaction before discharging myself.

> No side effects apart from a slightly sore arm the next day. No worse than any other jab I've had I the past, and it was gone by the next morning.

I've had my idiot brother telling my mum people start acting funny when they have it.

Bedlamite 

Andy Clarke 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Had my Astrazeneca jab two days ago and the whole experience was as smooth, well-organised and painless as everyone else on the thread has described. I'm only 65, so feel pretty lucky to have got done so early. 

girlymonkey 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

All these tales of people getting vaccines make me very happy! Each one is a little bit closer to us all being safer and restrictions being eased! It's still a while off for large scale easing of restrictions, but I will celebrate the progress towards it! 😀

Removed User 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Got mine Wednesday.  Small bruise; fine otherwise (Pfizer).

My undying thanks to the volunteers in the trials and the clinicians and scients who developed it.

The Lemming 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy DB:

> All very efficient turned up at the training school and filled in consent form in car park. Then ushered through and jabbed by some 3 pip para, clearly only the highest ranked staff vaccinate here! 

More likely, the 3 pips aren't allowed out in public any more and were looking for an excuse to relieve those office based pressure sores.

Post edited at 10:42
 girlymonkey 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

I found out recently that one of my old uni housemates was in the trials (not sure for which one). She kept it quiet until recently.

Andy DB 06 Feb 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

That thought did cross my mind but he is probably something important in the control room. Best be polite or we may never get a DCA back up ever again.

The Lemming 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy DB:

> That thought did cross my mind but he is probably something important in the control room. 

Another Red Flag for pressure sore rehab.

jassaelle 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Got mine 2 weeks ago. Very smooth - actually quite an exciting trip out to be honest! Everyone there looked really happy which was a nice change.

They make you sit down for 15 mins afterwards to check if you have any reactions.

Felt really quite jammy about the vaccine - it gave me something new to talk to my friends about haha.

I had a sore arm the next day but it wasn't that bad as I could still do pull ups and hangboard. 

skog 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

My mum had her first jag this morning, and her car wouldn't start so she's stuck at the gp's waiting for the AA to come.

I presume her immobiliser isn't Microsoft microchip compatible.

minimike 06 Feb 2021
In reply to skog:

> My mum had her first *jag* this morning, and her car wouldn't start

There’s the problem!

fred99 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Had mine this morning. AztraZeneca.

Arrived 15 minutes early, was told not to wait, just use the anti-viral hand gel and get in the (socially distanced) queue. Was jabbed and out well before the official time for my own jab. Much like a conveyor belt (in a nice way) with different people directing us and handing over paperwork slips to go to the person actually vaccinating. In through the front door of the GP's practice, and out through the side door. Very slick.

Wimlands 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Arcturus:

Mrs Wilderbeest had hers today...very impressed...great to see such a positive upbeat vibe.

she went in and I strolled round to the back door to meet her and she was out in 5 minutes.

Really cheered me up, great to see people pulling together and something so positive done so well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...