Garden sheds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 19 Jul 2020

Looking to buy a garden shed, and feeling bewildered by the sheer number of models offered by different companies out there. Wondering whether to forget catalogue models and get a bespoke one made. Anyone got any advice - or bad experiences to report?

We're based near Chepstow, and we're after tanalised timber, fairly robust build, space is wide but not that deep - ideal specs would be reverse pent 16x7 with door in the long side, would consider something a little more standard like 14x6.

Thanks

J101 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

As a landscaper I get to put up a few sheds and my main advice would be that anything really cheap will have paper thin wood and also quite likely be an absolute pain in the backside to erect.

On the flip side I've custom built a few and I can't even get the wood for the same price as you can buy a ready made. But you do get a much better end result.

Best bet is find a local supplier or two who have some demo models set up and go take a look.

Edit: If you go with getting one as a kit then I'd forgo the felt they supply and buy some decent stuff, it's worth it in the long run!

Post edited at 11:36
Removed User 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

As above says its cheaper to buy ready made then make and add braces to corners and in my case roof. Also my door was too big so by the time I had fitted a frame and cut down the door by 4" is ended up as a really solid shed that will last years for £10 extra and 4 hours

balmybaldwin 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I went for a "custom" made (really just a case of a good quality shed and where do I want the door/windows etc) and then insulate and wired it for power/water and skinned the inside with plywood myself.  10'x16' Tannelised Shed ended up costing in the region of £3000 including wiring, plumbing, insulation and boards, but well worth it. Warm in winter with minimal heating, perfectly dry feels like an extra room in the house.  Just gone round it, and repainted it in lockdown, and there's no sign of weather damage, and I think it will last a good 15 years

Post edited at 13:43
 flatlandrich 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I'll second everything 'Jmacquarrie' said, especially the comment about ditching the supplied felt.

The other advice I'd add is most manufactures have two grades, budget and quality. If you're after something solid, skip the budget stuff, you really do get what you pay for. Sometimes the more solid ones are sold as 'workshops' rather than 'sheds'.

If you're going to spend a decent amount on a shed don't forget about the price of a good base. Keeping it off the ground is a must (and not to close to fences) and allow plenty of room for air to circulate to allow the timbers to dry quickly.

Read the small print on any guarantee, some require a certain base construction and/or that the timber is retreated every year or it will be void.

colinakmc 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I like the look of these apart from the prices.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/

wintertree 19 Jul 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

Tuin stuff is superb.  I’ve helped put up a couple.  You need a good base and it’s important to take the time to square the first layer then to keep squaring as you build and before the roof goes on.  If it’s for a workshop rather than a social space I’d go timber frame shed instead - which my shed is, but the roof is asphalt singles from Tuin.

SAF 19 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cabins/billyoh-pent-log-cabin-w...

We are in the process of building the 12x6 28mm version of this one. Where we are is very windy so we wanted something robust. Just the felt to go tomorrow now it had finally stopped raining.

I found it quite tricky finding wide shallow depth sheds.

Post edited at 20:40
 muppetfilter 19 Jul 2020
In reply to SAF:

I bought a 10'x8' off Billy Oh  and got a pretty good deal by talking to the sales lass. Some of the extras like felt are cheaper bought seperately. The sheds themselves are nicely put together and good quality

SAF 19 Jul 2020
In reply to muppetfilter:

Thanks for the tip, we are planning buying another log cabin shed next year (a potting shed for me), so will have to try and negotiate a better deal.

David Riley 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Alternatively, my spider infested shed got replaced by a solid ex mobile site canteen off ebay.   Metal clad, insulated, heating, lighting, storage.  Everything including the kitchen sink and delivery for £650.

Phil79 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

If you have the skills, make one yourself?

Will probably cost you a bit more in materials, but well worth it. 

Some good inspiration here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP67MAoihZk&t=248s

The underground bunker bit is optional.

jonfun21 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Got ours from here

https://www.jacksonsgardensupplies.co.uk/

We got this one - which they customised to have a standard shed on the end all matched in but not insultated like the garden room,

https://www.jacksonsgardensupplies.co.uk/products/elite-garden-rooms/the-da...

Really pleased with it - well insulated (paid extra for floor instllation) etc,.

OP bpmclimb 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Thanks for replies, very helpful. Having looked a bit more at likely cost, we're also beginning to consider a concrete shed .... looks potentially more affordable than I thought.

Billhook 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

A concrete is likely to be bombproof.  But it will also be cold in winter, and hot in summer.

It is quite possible to make a wooden shed - as others have said, yourself/ves.

And could make the frame as wooden panels, say 6ft X 3ft and make several until you've got the size of the shed you need/want.

You don't need any joints, just nails and/or screws.  The 'hardest' thing might be to fit the door.  U-Tube must have hundreds of easy sheds.

nikoid 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Phil79:

Good video. Colin does tend to do things properly!

Hat Dude 20 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I renovated  my 12 x 8 shed as the cladding was shot but the basic framework & floor were fine, I reckon it cost me the price of a cheap new shed (approx £600 as against £1200 for an equivalent)

I then built an 8 x 4 mower/tool store onto the back of it for approx £300

Both jobs are of a better quality than ready made

But I've had the time to do it due to lockdown

nufkin 22 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Not really in the spirit of self-building, or looking rustic, but would it be worth considering a shipping container (they seem to come in 'half' sizes too)?

Rick Graham 22 Jul 2020
In reply to nufkin:

> Not really in the spirit of self-building, or looking rustic, but would it be worth considering a shipping container (they seem to come in 'half' sizes too)?

A good condition shipping container, whilst waterproof is a real condensation trap. It will need insulating or lining to be useable for storage .

On sheds , both me and a neighbour independantly chose and are very pleased with Pinelap sheds. Good quality but nearer budget prices. 

​​​​

Mattyk 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Rick Graham: I'd agree with that endorsement.

I've got a pinelap workshop coming in a few weeks. They are very good quality.

Snyggapa 23 Jul 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Ten years ago I got a 16x10 workshop and a 8x10 shed from these guys: https://shedsdirect.net/

Based in York I think but batch up jobs in the same area and deliver country wide. They were both in perfect condition when I sold the house last month.

Also got a summerhouse from tuin which was in a different league, of both quality and price. Tuin often have 50 percent off or thereabouts so call and get the price, don't pay the sticker price. 

I would use either again

mwr72 25 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

> Good video. Colin does tend to do things properly!

Not that properly, he should have used a breather membrane instead of visqueen(at least on my phone screen it looks like visqueen) 

nikoid 25 Jul 2020
In reply to mwr72:

Aah OK😄

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...