Elisabeth II - Queen Of England And France ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kingandsona 16 Mar 2018

Does she have any (even tenuously) claim to an hypothetical French throne?

After another thread:
the agonising moment of swearing allegiance to the current monarch (hopefully Elisabeth II will hold on a bit longer as I really dislike Charles...it's hard enough as it is for a born republican-the non american meaning).
>
You are a little late doing this. The Queen is, of course, the rightful Queen of France so you should have sworn allegiance years ago....

Here's my musings:
In reply to Postmanpat: 

As far as I can remember, the moment it went to William of orange, any claims to the French throne becomes so tenuous that any European royals may be able to make any claims (aren't they all related to some sorts).
The Plantagenet's side of things petered out with Henry VIII.
Who was Mary Stuart Queen of Scots to James VI? She was briefly married to François II ( a year or so) before his untimely death.

I am no historian so happy to relent any of my woolly knowledge! 

All in good humour and jest. Just curious.

typing mistakes

drolex 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

She can try. Does she like having her head on her shoulders though?

Trangia 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

Didn't the 100 years War sort that claim out for the French?

deepsoup 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

> The Plantagenet's side of things petered out with Henry VIII.

According to Tony Robinson, not so - the legitimate Plantagenet line didn't even get to Henry VIII.  He made a fairly convincing case a few years back that the rightful king of England was this chap, ironically a committed republican: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Abney-Hastings,_14th_Earl_of_Loudoun

Post edited at 09:58
 ballsac 16 Mar 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> According to Tony Robinson, not so - the legitimate Plantagenet line didn't even get to Henry VIII.  He made a fairly convincing case a few years back that the rightful king of England was this chap, ironically a committed republican: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Abney-Hastings,_14th_Earl_of_Loudoun

Robinson didn't make a convincing case, he didn't even make an interesting case that has holes in it - he repeated a load of old rubbish that has been dismissed as, to be charitible, laughably implausible by firstly the people who were around at the time (1442 to the 1490's), and then by every generation of historians and commentators since then.

its quite simply, complete bollocks...

Chris the Tall 16 Mar 2018
In reply to ballsac:

More importantly Henry VIII wasn't the last of the Plantagenets, or even the last of the Tudors. His father was a usurper, but his mother had a legitimate claim to the throne.

The biggest deviation comes with George 1, as there were at least 50 people with a better claim to the throne, but all were inconveniently catholic. But being catholic isn't going to affect a notional claim to the notional French throne.

At which point you start realising just how silly inherited titles really are !

Billhook 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

Do you mean Queen Elizabeth II ?

Post edited at 13:10
russellcampbell 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> Do you mean Queen Elizabeth II ?

She is actually Queen Elizabeth I [of the UK.]

French Erick 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

wow, it's the 1st time one of my threads is revived...i feel emotional!

French Erick 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

who are you? the queen spying on future subjects?

Andy Long 16 Mar 2018
In reply to russellcampbell:

Or more accurately Queen Elizabeth I & II (or should it be "II & I)?

Pbob 16 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't France a republic these days?

DaveHK 17 Mar 2018
In reply to Pbob:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't France a republic these days?

They know they did wrong though and I suspect that they often gaze across the channel with longing for the days of monarchy.

nastyned 17 Mar 2018
In reply to kingandsona:

It seems Liz's lot knocked the claim to the French throne on the head in 1802, but the Jacobites stuck with the claim for longer. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_claims_to_the_French_throne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...