Nice not-so-massive circular in the Lakes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Morning folks,

Im tasked with organising a walk in the lakes for mid-May. I've done most of the higher walks/circulars/horseshoes in my younger days but due to lack of fitness and a heart issue last year I dont think I'd be able to do anything massively strenuous now.

Im therefore looking for inspiration of a c10miler with ideally a good few Wainwrights, interesting scenery and, preferably, a pub at the end which, whilst mildly tasking, shouldnt be a major killer.

Any thoughts folks? Thanks

Wainers44 04 Apr 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Nor strenuous,  but interesting and quiet, head to N Lakes. Park on open fell, just short of drop into Hesket Newmarket, and walk High Pike. Then to Great Lingy Hut for a cuppa stop. See how you feel there. If ok, extend the walk to pick up Knott, return back past the Hut to finish over Carrock Fell. Lots of high ground, hut nothing too hard.

Pub at Mungrisdale on the way back to A66 is lovely. 

You could try...

Coledale round https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=156

Longsleddale https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1435

Mosedale round (missing out Yewbarrow would make it more achievable) https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=174

You could try...

Coledale round https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=156

Longsleddale https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1435

Mosedale round (missing out Yewbarrow would make it more achievable) https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=174

Lankyman 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Wainers44:

In the same area, from Mungrisdale I've done nice rounds up to Bowscale Tarn and Fell and over to Bannerdale Crags. The pub at Mungrisdale used to be noted for pies but I've not been for years.

lowersharpnose 04 Apr 2024

Fairfield Horseshoe, finish at The Golden Rule. 

Ambleside - Wansfell - Mortal Man (half way pint) - return same way or via Skelghyll Lane - Golden Rule.

Old Dungeon Ghyll - Stickle Tarn - Harrison's Stickle, Langdale Pikes over to Rossett Pike down Rosset Ghyll return to ODG.

ODG - The Band - Climbers' Traverse - Bowfell - Ore Gap - Angle Tarn - Rossett Pike down Rossett Ghyll or Stake Gill - ODG

Too taxing?

Godwin 04 Apr 2024

There are some lovely walks at https://www.crosthwaiteandlyth.co.uk/damsonwalks.php ,a personal favorite is 9, which is lovely in all seasons, and mid may, could be a lot of Damson Blossom, it also gives good views into the central lakes, and you pass Arthur Ransome s house. 2 good pubs.

In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Fairfield Horseshoe, finish at The Golden Rule. 

> Ambleside - Wansfell - Mortal Man (half way pint) - return same way or via Skelghyll Lane - Golden Rule.

> Old Dungeon Ghyll - Stickle Tarn - Harrison's Stickle, Langdale Pikes over to Rossett Pike down Rosset Ghyll return to ODG.

> ODG - The Band - Climbers' Traverse - Bowfell - Ore Gap - Angle Tarn - Rossett Pike down Rossett Ghyll or Stake Gill - ODG

> Too taxing?

Thanks. Ive done those and yes, I suspect a bit too much for now until I sort my fitness out.

Jim Lancs 04 Apr 2024

Easedale Horseshoe from Grasmere.

It's about 10 miles and does 5 (?) Wainwrights.

Also lots of places to head back and shorten the day if required.

Lankyman 04 Apr 2024

Last year when it was hot and bone dry  (amazing, I know) we did a nice 'Three Peaks' of Grandsire, School Knott and Brant Fell at the back of Bowness/Windermere. There's a network of paths and CRoW land, no big climbs or miles but nice views of the 'real' hills and you'd have no end of pubs down by the lake. They are Outlying Wainwrights as well.

probablylost 04 Apr 2024

How about Black Crag and Holme Fell via Hodge Close, Tarn Hows etc? Choice of starting points/pubs, fairly chilled, two wainwrights, cracking views of the higher langdale/coniston fells.

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> You could try...

> Mosedale round (missing out Yewbarrow would make it more achievable) https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=174

Thanks. These have all been done.

ExiledScot 04 Apr 2024

Eskdale, from Boot. Several modest options of Harter Fell, Hardknott (Roman Fort), or more work Scafell from a more unusual approach (not to be confused with bigger brother Pike). Early season advantage of there being no bracken growth. 

Post edited at 11:59
 Abr 04 Apr 2024

I like the Kentmere round but after yoke, ill bell etc drop down from the nan bield pass back down to Kentmere…

Peter Simpson 04 Apr 2024

You could start in Nether Wasdale at the Strands Inn and do the Greendale round, taking in Buckbarrow, Seatallan and Middle Fell then back to the pub. Not too high, not too popular and interesting views throughout.

gld73 04 Apr 2024

As suggested above, the Greendale round is a nice straightforward walk with 3 Wainwrights in lovely scenery.

Another suggestion is a circular from near Bassenthwaite village (where the Sun Inn does good food and drinks), going up the nice ridge which takes you over 3 Wainwrights in close succession (Ullock Pike, Long Side and Carl Side), then heading over Skiddaw and back down over Broad End, Bakestall and Cockup. I think it was around 13 km in total. That route covers 5 Wainwrights.

Or start and finish at the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater and do the circular over Mellbreak and back over Hen Comb. In addition to the 2 Wainwrights, you can easily add in a short detour to Scale Force, highest waterfall in the Lake District. 

All are enjoyable walks without being full day epics.

I also did a circular of 3 Wainwrights from Lamplugh once (where The Countryman pub has since reopened to good reviews) which was around 10 miles, going up past Cogra Moss to Gavel Fell, Blake Fell and back via Burnbank Fell ...but the route I took back on the circular turned out to not be a right of way. The signs saying that were all pointing in the other direction and nearer the road, aimed at stopping people taking that way up Burnbank Fell, there had been nothing on the fell or heading down. Think I'd got too used to living in Scotland and having the freedom to roam!

Post edited at 18:31
 kaiser 04 Apr 2024

How about:

Grasmere

Easedale Tarn

Up onto Blea Rigg, SE along the ridge over Silver Howe and Dow Bank towards Loughrigg

Loughrigg Terrace (optional visit to summit)

Rydal

Coffin Route back to Grasmere

Maggot 04 Apr 2024

Buttermere village, along the lake, up the front of Fleetwood Pike, shortest/easiest route to Hay Stacks, along the top to Red Pike via Seat, High Crag & High Stile. Then back down to the pub.

Godwin 04 Apr 2024

I assume you say suggest a circular walk, not because of some geometry fetish, but that you would like to get back to your car. But do not forget, bus fares are now capped at £2 per journey and this can open up a whole host of linear walks, possibly along the Helvelyn ridge from Threlkeld over the Dodds, with a more gradual ascent, and dropping down at Grasmere, or maybe something involving the Consiton fells from Torver, maybe taking in Dow Crag.
Linear walks open up many new possibilities that I assume many guidebook writers have not explored, with also having a predilection of returning their readers to their car.
As to your heart, take the Doctors advice, obviously, but something I had to get used to was my heart pounding on ascents which I found unnerving, no terrifying, after a series of cardiac arrests. 

Wally 04 Apr 2024

I just did a nice 10mile round in an area I was unfamiliar with. 

Braithwaite, barrow, outwith, causley pike, along lovely ridge to sail and ill crag, up to gisdale pike and back. Not sure on pub but a lovely walk and not too taxing. 

C Witter 04 Apr 2024

How about:

Gategarth Farm Buttermere, Warnscale Bottom, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike, back by the lake. Gorgeous views! Quite tough, but there are many opt-outs en route, to shorten the walk.

Or... Little Town Farm (nr Catbells) to Hindscarth to Dale Head and then either descend or continue over High Spy and all downhill over Maidenmoor to descend back to LTF.

Both walks have really amazing panoramic views of central fells, Scotland, Pennines, Morecambe Bay, Isle of Man etc.

Patterdale to Pooley Bridge along Ullswater is also a nice flatter walk.

Hope that helps.

birdie num num 04 Apr 2024

Perhaps an alternative Fairfield Horseshoe from Patterdale might fit the bill? The climb up to Arnison Crag is a bit stiff but Birks and St Sunday Crag is a breeze, then steep but short on Cofa Pike. Fairfield, Hart Crag and Hartsop above How is nice easy walking. The pub in Patterdale is nice, but careful when you step out of the front door because you immediately get run over by a car

Post edited at 20:42
 freeflyer 04 Apr 2024

Another vote for ODG - take it easy up to Stickle Tarn and do Jack's Rake. Lunch at the top and admire the view, then find your way back down again, depending on time.

Obviously you can avoid the scramble if you have to include non-scramblers, or meet at the top.

Get there early, preferably on one of those cracking clear spring days which overdevelops in the afternoon.

Exile 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Abr:

> I like the Kentmere round but after yoke, ill bell etc drop down from the nan bield pass back down to Kentmere…

Or park at Troutbeck Church, go up onto the horseshoe via Garburn Pass and after Froswick drop down left onto BW and follow the valley back. Queens Head just up the hill from start / finish. 

mike123 05 Apr 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: this one should tick your boxes - park at darling Howe , graystones ( or not - go straight up to widow hause) - lords seat -,towbarrow moss - whinlatter fell - darling Howe . Slightly tricky finding the path across the mtb track from towbarrow moss .  Easy parking .Relatively quiet . Relatively little climbing . Good pub - the Wheatsheaf in lorton . ( food and beer greatly improved in the last couple of years ) Views across the solway to Scotland then into the lakes .  

Post edited at 07:39
In reply to Godwin:

> I assume you say suggest a circular walk, not because of some geometry fetish, but that you would like to get back to your car. But do not forget, bus fares are now capped at £2 per journey and this can open up a whole host of linear walks, possibly along the Helvelyn ridge from Threlkeld over the Dodds, with a more gradual ascent, and dropping down at Grasmere, or maybe something involving the Consiton fells from Torver, maybe taking in Dow Crag.

> Linear walks open up many new possibilities that I assume many guidebook writers have not explored, with also having a predilection of returning their readers to their car.

> As to your heart, take the Doctors advice, obviously, but something I had to get used to was my heart pounding on ascents which I found unnerving, no terrifying, after a series of cardiac arrests. 

In a nutshell, yes, its about ease of getting back. Ive always done circulars or variations thereof to try and return to base due to convenience and not knowing the bus routes. Thanks for the note about the heart. This will be the first proper hill walk since my minor attack last year so i need to see how I feel on the lower tops.

Edit to add: Thanks for the suggestion. I have walked the route you suggested before and I think this might be a little tough until I get some fitness back.

Post edited at 10:19

UKC hits the mark again. Thanks for all the suggestions. This will give me a few hours of map reading this weekend with the options. 

graeme jackson 05 Apr 2024

A nice walk with loads of Wainwrights that I took a day over a few years ago. Starting in grasmere go up past sourmilk ghyll to Easedale tarn then strike off south onto Blea Rigg. Follow the ridge around to Sergeant Man then on to High Raise. Carry on North East along Greenup edge then drop down to Calf Crag and follow the ridge across Gibson Knott to Helm Crag and back down to Grasmere.    

Hi again, seems like accommodation dictates location. We managed to get rooms in the Royal Oak in Rosthwaite.

Having looked at the area there appears to be broadley two options which can be reached from the hotel, one towards Green Gable and the other towards Glaramara. They both return along the Derwent. 9.5 miles 950mtr ascent. Looks perfect.

Any complaints.

C Witter 08 Apr 2024

A nice adventurous walk/scramble from Rosthwaite in decent weather is down Langstrath, up Cam Crag ridge (grade 2/3 scramble), over Glaramara to Great End, then wherever you will and back to the valley according to your preferences. Your options sound fine, though. Popping over the Honister Pass also gives access to some great walking in the Buttermere fells.

Tom the tall 08 Apr 2024

From there you have loads of options- a nice day could include Bessy boot, tarn at leaves (beautiful) Rosthwaite fell, Glaramara, Allen crags, esk hause then either return to Seathwaite or angle tarn down to Langstrath.

birdie num num 08 Apr 2024

Depending on how long you're there, a nice little 5.5 mile circuit from Rosthwaite would be Brund Fell, Kings How, dropping down to Grange, then along past Hollows Farm and up Castle Crag finally back down to Rosthwaite. Good views to Gable and over Derwent Water. I believe the Scafell Hotel is closed and up for sale next door to the Royal Oak, shame...it was a great walkers bar.

kaiser 08 Apr 2024

> Hi again, seems like accommodation dictates location. We managed to get rooms in the Royal Oak in Rosthwaite.

> Having looked at the area there appears to be broadley two options which can be reached from the hotel, one towards Green Gable and the other towards Glaramara. They both return along the Derwent. 9.5 miles 950mtr ascent. Looks perfect.

> Any complaints.

Perfect.  Lovely hills around there, a great base.  

Bottom Clinger 08 Apr 2024

If you need a shorter route, go Rosthwaite downStonethwaitw, up to Dock Tarn to Watendlath then south west back to Rosthwaite. Or extend from Watendlath to Shepherds cafe, or even Keswick, bus back to Rosthwaite. 

In reply to Tom the tall:

I looked at Bessy Boot as an option for the climb up Glaramara but on the OS map I couldnt see an obvious route/path. Is there one?

Lankyman 09 Apr 2024

> I looked at Bessy Boot as an option for the climb up Glaramara but on the OS map I couldnt see an obvious route/path. Is there one?

Yes. By Big Stanger Gill coming up from the path SW of Stonethwaite. It's in Wainwright Book 4 'Southern Fells' described on Rosthwaite Fell page 4.

Wimlands 09 Apr 2024

Walk to Grange, get the Derwent Launch to Hawes end, walk up Catbells and along the ridge to High Spy and then back to Rosthwaite.

Rip van Winkle 12 Apr 2024
In reply to birdie num num:

> I believe the Scafell Hotel is closed and up for sale next door to the Royal Oak, shame...it was a great walkers bar.

Shift of topic - but WOAH! Is this true? I know the place has been struggling in recent years; they just couldn't seem to get anything right. But for walkers and climbers it's been a haven for as long as I can remember, providing shelter, warmth and sustenance when most needed, or cold beers on hot days. Does anyone have the inside story?

Wainers44 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

Sadly yes true. Dropped by there a week ago, all closed up. Real shame

Tom the tall 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

It’s on right move if you have got a spare couple of million pounds…..

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/140758265#/?channel=COM_BUY

Rip van Winkle 14 Apr 2024
In reply to Tom the tall:

That looks overpriced to me given it's hardy been a going concern for a few years. I have a vague recollection that there's VAT relief on refurb/redevelopment costs if a place is empty for more than 3 years. If that's true (and I can't vouch for it) maybe it's priced not to sell.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...