Smartwatch with great maps or a watch/phone combo for hiking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teejay 19 Dec 2023

Hi folks,

I've seen a previous post (https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/running/smartwatch_with_os_style_mappi...) on maps on smartwatches and got inspired to ask about what works well for peopleand find recommendationswhat to buy.

I'm currently using my phone with AllTrails for hikes — the trails on their maps have worked quite well around Brecon and Chilterns recently, as well as in French Pyrenees a bit earlier. However, pulling a phone frequently out of a pocket gets annoying quickly. What watches/phone accessories have worked well for you recently? I'm thinking of maybe getting Garmin (e.g. Forerunner 965 or Fenix 7 seem to be the recommended options on many "X best smartwatches" sites) — do these maps work well in (at least) European setting? Or are you using cheaper watches with breadcrumbs with a phone in a pouch/accessible pocket? If using a phone, iOS-compatible app recommendations would be welcome

I don't particularly mind the price — happy to pay for maps, too (i.e OS Maps subscription and the likes). Happy to use a computer to deal with likes of GPX files if needed. All I'm looking for is a good experience when on a trail

kevin stephens 19 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

I find that looking at the landscape and relating it to a paper map or marine chart, with the back up of being able to check my co-ordinates and/or altitude on my smart watch a much more fulfilling and rewarding experience.  However I often use my smart watch to navigate when I'm walking around cities.

Lankyman 19 Dec 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

Humph, lightweight! I use nature - the movement of the sun, birds in flight, moss on trees and the cycle of the seasons. For greater accuracy I've started walking naked to better feel the direction of the wind.

Glug 19 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

Have a look at the Garmin Fenix7 or Epix, the maps work everywhere and the watch can be set to give you notifications for upcoming directions, I find the Fenix 7 very accurate to the point of being able to see which side of single track roads I've walked down. 

Post edited at 21:11
 Juan S 19 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

I use the Fenix 6, works well for me. I still mostly rely on a gps track, but the map is nice to have. 

CantClimbTom 19 Dec 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

You may be being facetious... but I actually know someone who that describes to a tee. He's a great bloke and into his ultralight mountain wild camping, but very much ermm... How do I say...? back to nature. If you bump up into a naturist "green desert" wild camper (mid Wales) it'll probably be someone I sometimes go hiking/caving and need to do more climbing with (but not naturist thank you!). Just mentioning so you know people like that really exist and are out there

Edit: he doesn't use smartphone etc for the reasons you mentioned in your post

Post edited at 21:43
 AgentOrange76 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

If its a watch the Fenix range, there isnt much between the 6 and 7. Take a look at the DC rainmaker website for indepth reviews but it will depend on what you want from the Device.

Im yet to determine if you can just follow a track on a Garmin watch without the navigation element. I dont want my watch telling me to turn left in 200 yds. I just want to see a trace of the walk on the map and my location along that walk.

The Garmin handhelds do this as does the Outdoor Active app.

All the information refers to Routes which by default adds navigation. On a handheld you can use a track that doesnt have navigation.

I use a Garmin Etrex because I have one. It clips to my rucksack strap and I can tip it upwards and see if we are close to a direction change. I can unclip it single handed, work all the buttons with a single hand and while wearing gloves and clip it back in place and rain has no effect on the screen. i have Outdoor Active on my phone as a back up.

I have a Garmin watch for other activities which doesnt do mapping but could almost justify upgrading to a Fenex but at £500 plus thats a lot to just remove taking a phone out of a pocket from your walking.

steelbru 20 Dec 2023
In reply to AgentOrange76:

You don't need to spend as much as the Fenix series to get full mapping. The Forerunner 965 ( or previous models 955 or even older 945 ) is just a Fenix in a lighter ( ie plastic rather than metal ) casing.

Yes, you can see your trace on a fully detailed map, without having to have navigation on ( ie following a route ) - anytime you are doing an activity (ie walk/run/cycle/etc ) just toggle to the map screen and it shows where you've been and where you currently are.

The latest 9 series, ie 965, has an Amoled screen, which is brighter and has a higher resolution - the higher resolution is good on a detailed map screen, but the downside is the brighter screen uses more battery.

Depending on your use-case then you may find the 955 is the best option - lightweight and long battery, and can be had for under £400 in the sales.

LastBoyScout 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

I recently went through a similar search for a new GPS watch and ended up with a Garmin Epix Sapphire. DC Rainmaker reviews were very helpful in that decision.

The Amoled* screen on it gives much better resolution over the Fenix range, but at cost of battery life, which suits my usage. If you need battery life over resolution (eg for very long events), then go with Fenix.

* - there are other watches in the range with Amoled screens, if you don't want all the features/cost of the Epix.

I have to say that since I got it, I haven't really been out that much with it beyond running and so not properly used the maps for navigation - yet.

I have the OS maps app on my phone, which seems to work well when I've use it.

In reply to teejay:

I'm currently having a lot of fun with the Suunto/Mammut Vertical. Amazing battery life, and the version I have on review is solar powered too (not so useful in N.Scotland in December maybe...).

As well as (free) maps and compass/alti/baro, which are the things I actually use regularly in a watch, it's got an app - which is helpful for navigating it all. There's also a vast array of activity-specific training modes. These wouldn't normally interest me since I don't habitually do structured training, I just go out running, hillwalking or climbing. Gradually getting my head around it all for the review. 

So far so great, and if money were no object then I'd probably buy one 

sxrxg 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

I do this using the Ghostracer app on Wear OS (Samsung Galaxy Watch). Maps can be downloaded to the watch using the phone app (either Google Maps or Mapbox Maps) for a £3 fee (one off not a recurring subscription), I am using Mapbox outdoor style that has most tracks and contour lines. 

I generally plan a route in the Kamoot app or website (or another website) then export the gpx file, upload this file to the watch and then it shows a line on the map that can be followed (or raced if you set up a pace/time). The watch can be used standalone without the need to be connected to the phone (also having google wallet setup on the watch allows me to purchase drinks/snacks if out on a run without my phone/cash). 

Whilst this setup won't be as good as a dedicated Garmin setup (way worse battery life and less accurate GPS) with a maps subscription it does provide a solution for people that may have a smartwatch and this is a more occasional use case. Also as lots of phone contracts seem to come with a free smartwatch it is easy to pick up a new second hand Samsung or Pixel watch cheaply whereas Garmins tend to be pricey even second hand. 

Seperately on the phone i have offline OS maps and would take this as a backup in a bum bag (also contains water/snacks and a waterproof) for longer excursions into the hills.  

midgen 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

I have a Fenix 6 Pro with the talky toaster maps (Openstreetmap sourced I believe). 

It's a really nice way to navigate around, instead of stopping to faff with phone or map, you can concentrate on enjoying the experience, the odd glance at your wrist to check you're not off track. 

That said, I've a pretty good visual memory and after planning my route, I don't really need to look at a map again anyway, but I'd be super grateful for the watch if I get caught in crappy weather. I always have descent routes loaded on mine just in case.

Ridge 20 Dec 2023
In reply to steelbru:

> You don't need to spend as much as the Fenix series to get full mapping. The Forerunner 965 ( or previous models 955 or even older 945 ) is just a Fenix in a lighter ( ie plastic rather than metal ) casing.

> Yes, you can see your trace on a fully detailed map, without having to have navigation on ( ie following a route ) - anytime you are doing an activity (ie walk/run/cycle/etc ) just toggle to the map screen and it shows where you've been and where you currently are.

945 user here. If I'm looking at doing a new run I'll work it out on an OS map, then use the map screen as I run to check I'm still on route.

I have planned routes on the OS Maps app and exported them to the watch. Works well but a bit of a faff, so I don't usually bother.

I generally keep the map in my head and just use the watch as a sanity check.

OP teejay 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

Fantastic information from many people, thanks so much!

Is anyone else apart from @AgentOrange76 using a dedicated GPS device for walks? I could see a device like Etrex working just like he described with a much cheaper watch for tracking, but then, it's 3 things rather than 2 to carry around and keep charged I suppose.

> Im yet to determine if you can just follow a track on a Garmin watch without the navigation element. I dont want my watch telling me to turn left in 200 yds. I just want to see a trace of the walk on the map and my location along that walk.

I'd be keen to know if it's possible — I'd definitely use it that way 99% of the time.

Glug 20 Dec 2023
In reply to teejay:

You can just follow a track without notifications.

In reply to steelbru:

See this is my issue. You say

" you can see your trace on a fully detailed map, without having to have navigation on"

But then say

"and it shows where you've been and where you currently are"

That to me does not sound like you can see an line showing your entire planned walk.

Garmin use 2 very specific terms - Tracks and Routes.

Tracks are purely a line on the map kind of like a highlighter pen across the paths you wish to walk. Routes are similar but tell the device to make turns and therefore have navigation.

My handheld does both, my vivoactive watch will only do a routes and show left and right turns with no map. I only use the track option on the handheld and dont use the watch for navigation at all.

I would rather pay the £500-600 and have a nicer watch than £400 and have a plastic mediocre one. But then I wouldnt spend either amount just to negate taking a phone out of a pocket periodically.

Robert Durran 20 Dec 2023
In reply to steelbru:

> Depending on your use-case then you may find the 955 is the best option - lightweight and long battery, and can be had for under £400 in the sales.

One could buy 50 beautiful paper OS maps for that.

In reply to teejay:

I have the watch for other activities and as a quick review of incoming calls and messages that I can either take or ignore. The bonus being that the message doesnt show as being read so I can screen my comms when needed. I dont use it for tracking walks but do when paddling which gives a stroke count and pace.

The Etrex creates a trace of the walk while showing the track (an highlighted line of the entire walk) on the map so will end up with the original created track and then tracking data that will show any deviations we took.  I and my wife also have Outdoor Active on our phones which we track the walk also.

So my watch is just a watch. If I had the Fenex and it did what my Etrex does then I would leave the Etrex at home and just have the phone and watch

Glug 20 Dec 2023
In reply to AgentOrange76:

You can have the full route on a map screen but have the notifications on or off as you prefer, your position on the map is shown at all times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...