Smartwatch with OS style mapping that doesn't break the bank?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimfandango 11 May 2021

Hi. Is there a smartwatch out there with OS or OS level mapping features and a reasonable display of said maps? I'm not particularly interested in social network connectivity and all of that sort of stuff. Just a decent GPS, altimeter, and map display.

We are competent map readers but it's nice to do a moorland run without having to take a bearing every 10 minutes. Over the past few years we have used ViewRanger which has been pretty good but I am essentially looking for something that will do similar but in a watch format. Is that achievable at sub £200 (ideally £100)? What are my options? Happy to buy older second hand kit i.e. Garmin fenix type stuff. What is OS wear like?

Any info, feedback, experiences with what people are using would be gratefully received.

Cheers

ablackett 11 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

How about a small old smartphone, OS maps app and strap it to your arm with a transparent carrying strap thingy?

afx22 11 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I have a previous generation Garmin Fenix and would not like to rely on the maps for anything much other than breadcrumbs.  A modern phone running ViewRanger or similar is miles ahead.

ianstevens 11 May 2021
In reply to afx22:

The newer generation do have decent maps (on the Pro level anyway) but are north of £500. That said - the breadcrumb trails on the older Fenix are decent, IF you plan your route well beforehand and don’t deviate from it too much! Quicker than bearings anyway.

Post edited at 22:05
 elliot.baker 12 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I’ve got a Garmin 735xt and it doesn’t have OS maps, you have to plot the route before or upload a gpx file, then you just have a line to follow in a blank space on the watch. However, this is more than enough to follow easily in any weather for me. I even sometimes put the watch on top of my coat sleeve if it’s really bad weather. 

Although I want to upgrade to the latest Fenix 6 with the maps, I don’t think you “need” more than what my current watch offers. 

I bet you could pick one of mine up secondhand for under a ton. 

Also - ViewRanger on a phone is vastly superior, if you want a nosey around an actual map. I’m sure any half recent phone in a waterproof case would be fine enough. But not quite as quick and easy as looking at an arrow on your wrist. 

galpinos 12 May 2021
In reply to afx22:

Remember Viewranger is no more.

OP jimfandango 12 May 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

So in, watch form and within my budget, the best you think I can get is the kind of line drawing of a preplotted route floating in a blank void? What is that feature technically called? Nothing offers you that kind of feature but overlaid into an actual map?

Cheers

sbc23 12 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

You can run Viewranger (and presumably other OS apps) on an Apple iWatch. The series 3 is about £200, although the SE & 6 are better and more. 

I've only tried it on a Series 2 and it was a bit clunky and slow. 

Main problem is the small screen size. You need to zoom in for the detail to be useful, then you have no context as to where you are on the full size map. It's just easier on the phone. 

OP jimfandango 13 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Ok, so this line drawing route thing is called breadcrumb navigation, right? As I understand it the watch shows a preloaded box and where you are in relation to that route but with no map features or detail. 

Is all breadcrumb navigation born equal or do some watches do it better than others?

What watches within my price range do it best or at the best value?

ianstevens 13 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

> Ok, so this line drawing route thing is called breadcrumb navigation, right? As I understand it the watch shows a preloaded box and where you are in relation to that route but with no map features or detail. 

> Is all breadcrumb navigation born equal or do some watches do it better than others?

> What watches within my price range do it best or at the best value?

I’ve used both the Garmin and Suunto version of it and found the garmin far better. Probably because the garmin I had with it was far newer (2017) than the Suunto (and original Ambit, about 2011 ish). For your budget I’d suggest going looking second hand, AFAIK most sub £200 won’t do this - although a trawl around the garmin website may tell you otherwise. For example, I have a Fenix 5 that’s gathering dust I’d part with - drop me an email if you are interested.

I should add that whilst the swanky garmin maps are decent, they are far from OS standard.

In reply to jimfandango:

I recently bought a Garmin Instinct off Amazon for £200. The price seems to move around a lot and it’s currently about £240. I can plot a route using Ordnance Survey’s online mapping product and then download the route onto the watch. I also print the relevant bit of the OS map. The watch will then show the breadcrumb trail or an arrow for where to head, and it will alert me when I’m off course. It can automatically alert me ahead of turns, or I can use my own custom named waypoints (which I have to do in the Garmin software). A feature which I really like is the ability to race against my previous progress on a course. When I get back from a run the watch automatically syncs with my iPad so that I can plot my times deteriorating as I age. The watch will also just show me a GB grid reference. 

All this is great, but there’s a lot to get to grips with to set up the software and get the watch to work in a way that suits you. I’m still figuring it all out. I don’t find the watch particularly intuitive in the way that a mapping app on a smartphone is. If you want something you can just switch on and use then the Garmin watches within your budget might not be the best choice. 

Ridge 13 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

It's also worth noting you mentioned 'decent altimeter' in your OP. You'll struggle to find a barometric altimeter (and all the other stuff) at the price point you're looking at.

I know it's not what you want, but just set up an OS grid field on the watch and stick a photocopy of the map (write the northings and eastings on the grid lines as required) your pocket. It's then a couple of seconds job to orientate yourself if needed.

Chris Clayton 13 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Hi, Sport Pursuit were offering Casio Pro Trek watches a while ago sub £200, think they would fit the bill

Forest Dump 13 May 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

I really like my Instinct as a mid range option, and the breadcrumb features works well, providing the reality on the ground meets the mapping!

OP jimfandango 26 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Thanks all for your imput.

I plumped for a Garmin instinct in the end. £99 from ebay. The grid reference function, barometer and magnetic compass swung it for me. I am pretty impressed with it after having had a play the last couple of evenings on the sofa. Not had a chance to test it out on the moor yet but if it does everything it thinks it can then I will be happy.

Gareth 27 May 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Came to this chat late, also got a garmin instinct a few months ago and found it a great watch for the price, the breadcrumbs work really well, hope you enjoy using it as much as I do Jim

In reply to jimfandango:

As I said, I recently bought an Instinct too. The Garmin forums don't seem hugely active, so if you find yourself going in circles either on the moors or in the software then I might be able to help. There are a few bugs and workarounds, and the various overlapping Garmin apps / programs are slightly confusing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...