Places to stay in England with a remote feel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 02 Jan 2024

I had a weekend off from childcare at some point last year and went off with a couple of other escaped parents for a night in the hills at Skiddaw House Hostel. It was a pretty great trip - I think staying in such an isolated place with very little to do except look at the fire really added to the feeling of having a total break from the usual responsibilities.

I'm looking to do something similar this year with another dad. Any suggestions for where to go? The constraints on location are basically that my mate will be coming up from London and might think the Lakes is a bit far, whereas I'll be starting from Sheffield and won't want to go too far South or West either.

I'm not after an exact analogue to Skiddaw house, more somewhere else with a similar feel of being away from it all, even if it's actually accessible by road or whatever. A basic bunkhouse, pub or whatever in the middle of nowhere would be grand, particularly if there are a couple of days of alright walking on hand. Maybe even one of the Welsh bothies or something. We'll probably be going in February, though, so probably wouldn't want to wildcamp...

Thanks in advance!

midgen 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I always find Ogwen Valley a nice getaway, with the obvious caveat that I don't go on bank holidays or other busy times! Lack of residential property and through traffic make it very quiet and peaceful. Are you in a club? There are several huts in the valley, if not, the two campsites are both decent.

I can't stress enough though that you will most definitely not be getting away from it all if you go on a bank holiday! 

Neil Williams 02 Jan 2024

Black Sail is the other really remote YHA?

Marek 02 Jan 2024

Somewhere due west of Rhayader in the middle of Wales's 'green desert' would be an option. I seem to remember there's a bothy* at the head of the Elan valley somewhere. Excellent dark skies if you're lucky.

* Claerwen bothy.

There's also the Nant Rhys Bothy a bit further north in the forest.

Sorry, just noticed you specified 'England'

Post edited at 17:04
 Lankyman 02 Jan 2024

Tan Hill Inn on the summit of the road between Eden Valley and Swaledale is as remote as anywhere in England accessible by car. The weather can be 'fresh' at 1700 ft asl in February. I see they feature on Booking.com.

Welsh Kate 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

Yeah, my thoughts went to mid Wales straight away - I know the OP doesn't want to camp, but I've done some backpacking routes in the 'green desert' and it's hard to meet anyone else!

The bothy near the far end of Claerwen Res is Claerddu (it's not MBA so isn't on their website, but easy to find info about); other bothies in the Elan Valley area are Lluest Cwm Bach (which has one of the best 'loos with a view' you'll find in the UK), Nant Syddion and Moel Prysgau. Easy to devise a good route picking up a couple of the bothies, but note that Elan valley area is WET even during dry weather!

Also note that the PROW marked on the map from Caer Gae Roman fort just off the A44 south-west to the wind farm has been obliterated by replanted forestry and trying to force a route through will result in you emerging at the end of the foresty with pine needles absolutely everywhere :-D

Cornish boy 02 Jan 2024

There are two places in Snowdonia which might be suitable for what you are looking for:

1. Dulyn Bothy

2. Cwm Eigau Cottage

The latter is not a bothy, however, and needs to be booked via Rugby Mountaineering Club, who own and maintain it. I’ve stayed there several times but it’s probably a better option for a group, rather than just two people, in my opinion. 

Both options are accessed via the same car park, in a remote part of the Carneddau, and involve a considerable walk-in. You would certainly feel ‘away from it all’. 

dread-i 02 Jan 2024

Forrest of Bowland. There is a lot of outdoors, to go at. Not as rugged as some areas, but few tourists.

Marek 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Off topic, but my good memories of the Nant Rhys bothy were when I was bikepacking(?) past it a few years back, looked inside (it was empty) and saw some maps on the wall showing the locations of the nearest springs. A god-send in the blisteringly hot Welsh summer that year!

Solsbury 02 Jan 2024

The bunkhouse on Gometra, very remote, nothing to do.

Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to dread-i:

> Forrest of Bowland. There is a lot of outdoors, to go at. Not as rugged as some areas, but few tourists.

Bowland's great but there aren't any bothies. Local landowners are often grouse botherers and don't like wild camping. I have dossed in one of the shooting huts but it was almost 50 years ago when things were a lot quieter. There might be camping barns and some of the villages do have really nice looking pubs/inns. I'd stop in the Inn at Whitewell but my holey tracksters would probably bar me from entering.

GrahamD 02 Jan 2024

Mid Wales is a great shout, but North North Yorkshire/Northumberland might also fit the bill if your mate is driving.  Straight up the A1.

wintertree 02 Jan 2024

Mounthooly Bunkhouse NW of the Cheviot.

Phil1919 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Bull Pot Farm on a quiet night?

Dr.S at work 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Something like this?

Stayed there for a mates 40th, excellent.

Guy Hurst 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Brilliant place with a very remote feel to it.

Lankyman 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Phil1919:

> Bull Pot Farm on a quiet night?

Stayed there many times as a guest of the Red Rose Cave & Pothole Club. Doubtless things are quiet when a bunch of rowdy cavers aren't in residence.

Dave the Rave 02 Jan 2024

What about Greg’s Hut on Cross Fell?

Wimlands 02 Jan 2024

Must say I’m a little confused by the responses so far to the OP.

…wants somewhere in England, starting from Sheffield and doesn’t want to go to far south and west, and the Lakes are too far for his mate.

Maybe somewhere on the Norfolk coast, the Fens or Broads.

McHeath 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Wimlands:

> Must say I’m a little confused by the responses so far to the OP.

> …wants somewhere in England, starting from Sheffield and doesn’t want to go to far south and west, and the Lakes are too far for his mate.

The Fox House Inn?

Great walking, they´ll probably have a fire, and it´s gonna be bleak as hell in February so very likely deserted.

Welsh Kate 02 Jan 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Post title says England but post says "Maybe even one of the Welsh bothies or something."

petegunn 02 Jan 2024

Greg's Hut in the Pennines, could possibly walk over to explore High Cup Nick or just the summits of Cross Fell and Great Dun Fell and its radar station.

Theres a couple of bothies in the northern Cheviots, one is wooden without a stove but dont know about the other one.

OP Ramblin dave 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Fair, I wrote the title first and then got scope creep when I actually started writing.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I suspect that we'll probably want to be looking at something a bit further South than the Cheviots / Lakes / Cross Fell / etc but it's all worth filing away for future trips with more geographically fortunate friends...

Lankyman 03 Jan 2024

I've never been but the Norfolk coast looks quite remote (to me, anyway). No motorways for a start. Big beaches and probably pretty bleak in February. There will undoubtedly be a Saxon church in a lonely spot haunted by an unspeakable demonic presence that will follow you to your room and torment you until you return that interesting 'trinket' you found poking up through the marram grass ... Might be better to go to the Peak?

Fredt 03 Jan 2024
In reply to McHeath:

> The Fox House Inn?

> Great walking, they´ll probably have a fire, and it´s gonna be bleak as hell in February so very likely deserted.

Fox house is rammed every weekend of the year. It's 20 minutes drive from Sheffield.

Godwin 03 Jan 2024

TBH other than the obvious delights of the Peak, Sheff is IMHO a bit of a Cul de sac, and about 3.5 hours from a lot of good places.

Looking at the map, the place that looks worth a look is the Lincolnshire Wolds, centralish for both of you and an AONB.

I would be interested to know more about it myself as we did a short bike tour of the Yorkshire wolds, and thought them lovely.

Hope you find something good 

Ian W 03 Jan 2024

This place apparently operates as a holiday rental business and is about as remote as it gets in England........1.5 miles from a public road.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/14086645/?utm_source=bing&utm_mediu...

And I reckon fits your bill pretty well.

Post edited at 09:57
OP Ramblin dave 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Godwin:

> TBH other than the obvious delights of the Peak, Sheff is IMHO a bit of a Cul de sac, and about 3.5 hours from a lot of good places.

Still better than Camberwell, though.

> Looking at the map, the place that looks worth a look is the Lincolnshire Wolds, centralish for both of you and an AONB.

Thanks, will look into it.

Andy Clarke 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> I've never been but the Norfolk coast looks quite remote (to me, anyway). No motorways for a start. Big beaches and probably pretty bleak in February. There will undoubtedly be a Saxon church in a lonely spot haunted by an unspeakable demonic presence that will follow you to your room and torment you until you return that interesting 'trinket' you found poking up through the marram grass ... Might be better to go to the Peak?

I'm not sure the Peak will be any safer - well, at least not the Peak proper, ie the Staffordshire Gritstone Peak. Even walking along a tourist highway like the Roaches ridge, if you pick a bleak and lonely midweek winter afternoon you risk being dragged under the dark and bottomless waters of Doxey's Pool in the arms of  the evil water nymph cum mermaid Jenny Greenteeth. ( I know other much inferior counties lay claim to having a Jenny Greenteeth, but this is the original.) Many seconds have stood at  the bottom of the magnificent San Melas (E3 5c) for several hours, wondering what has happened to their leader, who will have topped out on Alpha Buttress, within sight of Doxey's. On untying and walking to the top, all they have found are some chewed remnants of harness and ominous ripples on the surface of the pool.

Post edited at 14:00
 Fat Bumbly 2.0 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Superior counties Shropshire* and Herefordshire  share one Anna who lives in an eddy on the Teme.  While there is a little exposed sandstone there, no climbers will ever fall victim - unless they have a paddling sideline.  I have only ventured there once on the water!  

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3924527

*mmm, possibly

badgerjockey 04 Jan 2024

How about Lundy? Nothing like being trapped on an island to escape your responsibilities. There are some remote properties on the island. But if that gets too much there’s always the marisco tavern…

dingbat46 05 Jan 2024

This place in Wales is good, 1 mile from the nearest road but walkable to a pub if needed

https://www.breconcottages.com/cottage/79962-yr-allt

Lots of great places to stay in the Black Mountains at the western end of Herefordshire. Great walking on the Cat's Back and across to Twmpa with easy access to the entire eastern end of the Bannau Brycheiniog.

In reply to midgen: it’s generally rammed. We live 5 mins down the road and generally struggle to access our local area from spring to autumn due to a sparse bus service and people ‘camping’ for the weekend in lay-bys. 

overdrawnboy 08 Jan 2024
In reply to badgerjockey:

I had a week on Scilly in February a few years back. Never felt more remote or away from it all anywhere. 

A few suggestions for the Lakes:

-Dunnerdale is very quiet and very beautiful, and the Newfield Inn is one of my favourite pubs. Walking is nothing short of excellent.

-The head of Eskdale also has a pretty remote feel, although won't be as quiet. We stayed a Birkerthwaite Farmhouse on the moors above Eskdale a few years ago, remote and ancient, and pubs walking distance (take a torch).

-Mosedale Cottage bothy is a bit spartan, but it has a fire and a toilet of sorts, and is in a very remote spot. Stayed there late last year with my son. Take firewood/coal, comfy camping mats and maybe even a folding chair, as the plastic chairs there are pretty uncomfortable (the comfy chairs shown on the MBA website have gone).

-Black Sail Hostel sounds like a good shout, but I have never stayed there.

EDIT - the YHA hostels in Ennerdale, Eskdale, Coniston Coppermines and above Glenridding might be worth considering.

Post edited at 14:43
 C Witter 08 Jan 2024

England is distinctly lacking in places that feel truly "away from it all", but these things are all relative. Sounds like you're heading to a lesser known area of the Peak, given the reluctance to travel far. Norfolk and the Fens are areas I find particularly abominable, given lack of hills and crags, coupled with dominance of agriculture. Northumberland is quite beautiful, if you can persuade your geographically-impoverished friend northward. Cumbria is, of course, the most beautiful place to be unless crossing borders.

Billhook 08 Jan 2024

Straddling the border perhaps 
https://northumberlandcottage.holiday/auchope-refuge-hut/

Somewhat spartan as a bothy.  But thats what some bothies are.

​​​​​​

Post edited at 16:57
 Philb1950 08 Jan 2024
In reply to midgen:

ENGLAND

midgen 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Philb1950:

Fantastic contribution to the thread. Give yourself a pat on the back. 

CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2024

There must be somewhere suitable on the north york moors 

Exile 09 Jan 2024

As somebody has said Mosedale Cottage would be good. It is the Lakes, but is accessed from the Shap area, so just off the M6 - it would be a lot quicker to access for you than most of the Lakes.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Exile:

Just don't go there by mistake.

Godwin 09 Jan 2024

Interesting to see a lot of the replies. They indicate an awful lot of UKCers do not read OPs or have a very hazy idea of Geography.

It also suggests that Sheffield is not a whole load better than Camberwell for getting to great places, go west young man

:-P

Post edited at 08:21
 Brass Nipples 09 Jan 2024

Watching this might give you a few ideas

https://youtu.be/d9Z0DV33gAY?feature=shared

Outside of Scotland it'd be hard to feel more remote than in the Cambrian mountains - it's one of the most sparsely populated places in Europe. The area around Llyn Brianne is especially isolated with no phone signal for about half and hours drive.

I've never stayed at this bothy 👇 but I've been meaning to.

https://anthonypease.co.uk/adventure/claerddu-bothy-bikepacking-trip/

Lankyman 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> Just don't go there by mistake.

That would be Sleddale Hall a few miles over the hill, not Mosedale

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1779336

jezb1 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Godwin:

> Interesting to see a lot of the replies. They indicate an awful lot of UKCers do not read OPs or have a very hazy idea of Geography.

It does indeed..!

“Maybe even one of the Welsh bothies or something.”

yorkshire_lad2 09 Jan 2024

And avoid places mentioned on the internet in conversations entitled "Places to stay in England with a remote feel", also places mentioned in books titled "World's quietest walks" (and promptly reviewed/listed in Saturday papers and walking magazines) as they will suddenly become not very quiet/remote ....

Rip van Winkle 09 Jan 2024
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

See also "Celebrity X Uncovers The Hidden Secrets of ..."

OP Ramblin dave 09 Jan 2024
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

> And avoid places mentioned on the internet in conversations entitled "Places to stay in England with a remote feel", also places mentioned in books titled "World's quietest walks" (and promptly reviewed/listed in Saturday papers and walking magazines) as they will suddenly become not very quiet/remote ....

I have to admit, I'm always a bit sceptical of this sort of argument. The Elan Valley is quiet because it's a long way from any big population centres, it's hard going in places and it's not really any more rewarding from a scenic point of view than a load of more easily accessible places. It's unlikely to suddenly be permanently mobbed because of a forum thread, or even a magazine article...

kevin stephens 09 Jan 2024

west Shropshire, Ratlinghope or nearby, isolated in a rural shire sort of way with good hill walking on Long Mynd and Stiperstones etc. I think there are some “shepherd’s hut” and similar available

Fat Bumbly 2.0 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes - I know and when Mosedale first opened up under the MBA, the similarities with its illustrious neighbour were very striking.  Same estate I presume.

Post edited at 12:31
In reply to jezb1:

> It does indeed..!

> “Maybe even one of the Welsh bothies or something.”

Hah, yes although that's hazy proofreading rather than hazy geography. My initial assumption had been that getting that far West from Sheffield would be too much trouble so we'd mostly be looking at Yorkshire, the Peak etc. I checked at some point while I was writing the post and realized that maybe getting out to Mid Wales might actually be a possibility and added that to the post but didn't change the title.

Northumberland and the Lakes are still definitely too far for the current purposes, though. Sorry.

Godwin 09 Jan 2024

An issue appears to be not wishing to have your friend drive to the lakes.

Would them getting the train to say oxenhope, and you meeting them there, and driving to the final destination not be an option?

In reply to Godwin:

> An issue appears to be not wishing to have your friend drive to the lakes.

> Would them getting the train to say oxenhope, and you meeting them there, and driving to the final destination not be an option?

I don't drive at all, so it's either going to be somewhere within driving distance for him, or somewhere we can get to by train, or possibly some faffy combination of train and car hire or something.

Godwin 09 Jan 2024

> I don't drive at all.

Now you tell us 🙄 

In reply to Godwin:

I asked for general recommendations for places to go or stay within fairly broad geographical bounds. If people are going to take it on themselves to produce detailed transport plans and make assumptions in order to do that then that's their problem...

LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2024

Chamois Mountaineering Centre in North Wales (aka Marconi hut) "feels" pretty remote, but you'd need a decent group of Dads to fill it. Has great views, too.

Cornel Scout Centre (near Capel Curig) also feels pretty remote - but you can walk into Capel if you want to.

wintertree 09 Jan 2024
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> There must be somewhere suitable on the north york moors 

There’s the “Lion Inn” near the mid point of the Lyke Wake on Blakey Ridge.

We’ve stayed in a very remote farmhouse SE of Grosmont but having line of sight to the radar unit at RAF Fylingdales shattered that illusion of remoteness for me…

Edit: just seen the not driving thing - lindisfarne island has accommodation on it.  Train to Berwick, 9 km hike along mostly abandoned beaches or get a bus/uber, 5 km yomp across the marked foot causeway before the tide rises.   Then you really are isolated unless you have a boat or helicopter.

Post edited at 20:35
 Stig 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Ramblin dave: Dentdale. Perhaps people are deliberately not mentioning it because it is so quiet. It’s only an hour and a half from Leeds station on probably the most scenic rail line in England. Not even that far from the bustling metropolis of Sedbergh with some excellent pubs and food. You can even stay at the station itself. 

Further north but Alston and Nenthead area can be bleak as hell even in mid summer. 

Stig 09 Jan 2024

Ps: there is a bunkhouse near Kilnsey. I really like Malham too or even better Littondale - good pubs in both. Probably need a car though.

Also a cottage/bunkhouse below Whernside that is accessible from Ribblehead station.

or Dufton YHA which again is accessible from the Settle-Carlisle line.

Philip 09 Jan 2024

Edale. All of Kinder to explore.

Forester3 10 Jan 2024
In reply to pancakeandchips:

This is an excellent bothy - I spent a night there last May during a four day circular walk which included Lluest and Moel Prysgau bothies. The only aspect of Claerwen bothy that I found disappointing was the amount of graffiti on the wood panelling! 
Incidentally, walking for the first two days between Lluest, Claerwen and Moel Prysgau, I didn’t even see another soul, never mind not meet anyone - so certainly ticks the ‘remote’ box! 😊

FactorXXX 10 Jan 2024

Swindon, as it's as far from civilisation as you can get.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 11 Jan 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

Too many mountain bikers behind the Nationwide. Feels crowded.

Its been mentioned a few times here already so I'll add to the voices. I camped in a small village a few years ago, in December, then had a fantastic solitary trip across Cross fell and the Duns/NATS station. One of the best, most interesting and atmospheric walks Ive ever done and with nobody else other than me and my two pals were on the tops.

Cant remember the village but it had a small campsite across the road from a lovely village pub, which we stayed in until they kicked us out because it was absolutely effing freezing and we'd already suffered the previous night, despite several layers, and a decent 4 season bag. We woke up with ice covering everything.

In fact, this was the weekend that persuaded all three of us, none getting any younger, who visit the hills together regularly, that camping in anything other than decent conditions is no longer an option. A warm bed, preferably above a pub, is the only option for us now.

timjones 11 Jan 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I'd look to mid-Wales.

Have a look at Dolgoch hostel.

https://www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk/en/our/dolgoch-hostel

Lankyman 11 Jan 2024

Could it have been Dufton? You can see Cross/Great Dun Fell from the green. The Pennine Way leads up to the tops.

In reply to Lankyman:

> Could it have been Dufton? You can see Cross/Great Dun Fell from the green. The Pennine Way leads up to the tops.

I think you might be right. I've just looked at some pictures and the Stag Head looks ver familiar. Can you camp opposite there? Is there a small toilet block nearby?

Lankyman 11 Jan 2024

> I think you might be right. I've just looked at some pictures and the Stag Head looks ver familiar. Can you camp opposite there? Is there a small toilet block nearby?

There's a toilet block. I think you can camp nearby - my ex did when she did the PW a couple of years ago. There's a nice tea room as well. All very civilised.

Pedro50 11 Jan 2024

Village maintained toilet block, free parking with donations box, campsite with caravans but space for backpackers, lovely couple who run it, great pub. An ideal pit stop.

OP Ramblin dave 15 Jan 2024
In reply to timjones:

> I'd look to mid-Wales.

> Have a look at Dolgoch hostel.

I think we're going with this - it looks brilliant! And if anyone else wants to rib me for putting "England" in the thread title then this is your last chance.

Thanks to everyone else who suggested stuff, too, even if it was out of range on this trip - I've now got a long list of things to do in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...