YetAnotherWhatTent thread - 1.5man, must cope with winds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mrcharly 08 Apr 2024

MrsCharly has given permission (well, actually blunter than that) for me to get out camping on weekends.

I think I last camped anywhere erm, 10 years ago.

I live somewhere very windy - 20-30 knot winds are normal - so need something that would cope with strong winds.

My old Aldi coffin wasn't bad in a wind, but was very small. The prospect of confinement to a tent where I can barely sit up isn't a welcome one. We also have Midges in summer. 

So I was wondering about the smaller airbeam tents, such as the Alpkit Airbeam https://alpkit.com/products/aeronaut-2 

I'm sure a strong wind would flatten it, but it would bounce back, wouldn't it? Can't see mention of them on the forum.

Mostly I'd be taking a tent in a kayak, bike or walking, so weight and size are a consideration.

In reply to mrcharly:

Nordisk Telemark 2.2..... the silcoated lightweight version is exceedingly expensive, but the PU version still isn't overly heavy, & can be found for £250 online. An excellent weatherproof tent, palatial for one, OK for 2 

Brian Pollock 08 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

The tarptent scarp 1 seems to be the Goldilocks option for weight, comfort and strength. I've seen more than a few in the wild and use one myself for summit camps. Comes with optional cross poles which turn it into a fortress. Can be found second hand on eBay.

Dave Todd 08 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

Wild Country Helm 1 Compact gets a lot of good reviews as a robust, reasonably-priced and spacious 1-person tent.

morpcat 08 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

Having just spent a night out in Storm Kathleen's winds in an Alpkit Jaran 2, I can recommend it as being surprisingly robust. I wouldn't think their airpole tent would do as well, but can't say that I've tried.

Wingnut 08 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

Depends on your budget, but one of the various quasar clones out there may be worth a look? Technically a 2-man, but that actually means plenty of space for a solo camper to stretch out, sleep, get as far from own socks as possible, read, drink beer, count hairs in own armpit, ponder the inherent hilarity of the word "udders"* etc.

Have had a week in bad weather in a 1.5-man side entry tent with rather restricted height at the ends - and, at 5ft7, I don't usually have problems with height - and it was horrid, not just in terms of lack of usable space but in terms of getting the thing to stay up while the wind flogged it about and the ground got progressively soggier to the point that the pegs wouldn't stay in.

Have had an original Quasar (and various problems with poles, boo hiss), and when it wore out replaced it with an Alpkit Kangri, which is basically the same thing. Both much better in terms of internal space, behaved themselves in strong winds, and weren't reliant on being able to get the pegs to either go in or stay in to stay up.

(* I was bored ...)

oldie 08 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

I have a Macpac Microlight which looks similar to that Alpkit Airbeam. It withstood wind which was supposedly up to 100 mph in the Cairngorms (rocks on pegs). The pole was slightly bent but no complaints given the conditions. Tough groundsheet. Can sit upright in centre. 1.5 man tent.

65 08 Apr 2024
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> Nordisk Telemark 2.2..... the silcoated lightweight version is exceedingly expensive, but the PU version still isn't overly heavy, & can be found for £250 online. An excellent weatherproof tent, palatial for one, OK for 2 

I have the lightweight one, it's great in terms of space for weight but I wouldn't seek out exposed windy pitches. I used to have an Akto, a bit heavier and less spacious but that was bombproof, I had some very snug nights in it while the weather did its worst outside.

Dominic Green 08 Apr 2024

https://www.thegreatoutdoorsmag.com/review/trekkertent-saor-review/?fbclid=...

One for sale second hand on Facebook , still pricey!

damowilk 09 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

I had the Aeronaut, specifically for bike packing due to lack of poles,  but wasn’t impressed with its lack of stability so sold it.

I also had a Nordisk Telemark 1: for its time it was very light, easy and quick to put up, and surprisingly stable. But it was tight, short for those 6ft or over, and above average condensation. The foot of my sleeping bag was usually soaking after a night.

I’ve got a Tarptent Scarp 2: very solid for the weight, huge amount of space and 2 doors. Not bad weight.
 I’ve also got a Tarptent lithosphere 2: amazing low weight, but less wind resistant than the scarp, and either needs trekking poles or after market poles to put up, so less useful for bike packing. Durston Xmid and Zpacks Duplex are very similar in concept, though the cheapest (and a bit heavier) is the non-dynema composite fabric version of the Durston. All are designed to go up with walking poles. 

iani 09 Apr 2024
In reply to mrcharly:

Another vote for the Wild Country Helm 1.

very good in wind, fly sheet comes down to ground level to stop draughts and pitches in one go with inner protected by the fly sheet - good in the rain. Easy to adjust to avoid flapping in the wind. 

OP mrcharly 09 Apr 2024

Kangri pack size is a bit big for me. The Jaran, with two entrances, offers flexibility in changing winds.

tarptent scarp 1 looks an excellent design, but maybe a bit rich for my blood.

Will have to try some trips in better weather and see.

65 09 Apr 2024
In reply to damowilk:

> I’ve got a Tarptent Scarp 2:

I like the look of this. Can you remove all the attachment ties for the extra poles from the fly if you're only using the centre pole? They look like they'd flap in the wind and be really annoying.

damowilk 09 Apr 2024
In reply to 65:

I’d have to check to be sure but I don’t think so, but can’t recall them flapping much in wind. My model is also getting on a bit, so there’s likely differences in current models. 

Welsh Kate 09 Apr 2024
In reply to 65:

Yes - or at least I have on mine which I've had for 10 years. I've got the Scarp 1 and I love it - it's fab having two porches and it's really spacious.

edited to add photo of the Scarp - just the fasteners on the fly for the attachment ties hat I've removed.

Post edited at 22:21

65 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Welsh Kate and Damowilk:

Many thanks!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...