Which UL waterproof jacket and trousers?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Tony the Blade 22 Apr 2024

Hi,

I'm looking for ultralight waterproof jacket and trousers to take on the TMB this summer. Fingers crossed that they will only be used on a few occassions (However, I'm aware that it could rain all day, every day on the circuit). I want something that's ultra-light, packs small and is at least 10k HH. However, this isn't for a race so it doesn't have to have taped seams etc.

Jackets and overtrousers I'm currently looking at are the OMM Halo, Montane Nano and Rab Phantom.

Am I missing any obvious choices here or do I whittle it down from my top 3?

Thoughts and advice, as ever, always welcome.

Cheers, TtB

tjhare1 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Tony the Blade:

If you have big feet, then it is worth trying anything with only calf-length zips on with shoes before buying. I for one cannot put on / take off some of the above without removing my footwear, even if only fell running shoes. That was something I was unwilling to compromise on. At size 12 I'm on the larger size but not ridiculously so. Try before you buy.

In reply to tjhare1:

At size 8.5 I don't share your foot related issues, however I will be walking in Hoka Spedgoat's and they have oversized Vibram soles, so your comment is valid. Thank you

dread-i 22 Apr 2024

Inov8 Stormshell v2 jacket, you might be able to find a bargain in a sale. Or Decathlon kiprun. The kiprun troos, which have 10K hh, are £40. I've got some and they're ok, they pack down small, but not what you'd want for full on horizontal rain, day after day. Not tried the jackets.

In reply to dread-i:

I'll take a look at the Inov8, thanks.

I didn't even think about Decathlon! I've just taken a look at the jackets and there's this at £50! https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men's-ultra-light-waterproof-rapid-hiking-jac...

I'll check out the pants as well.

Thanks

Jasonic 22 Apr 2024

Hmmm- good experience with their Simond waterproof jackets- decidedly mixed with the others..

In reply to Jasonic:

> Hmmm- good experience with their Simond waterproof jackets- decidedly mixed with the others..

Good to know -  thank you

mattc 23 Apr 2024

I really like the Rab Kinetic range not super light but not heavy and a lot more constable to wear. might be able to ditch a layer and take that instead as I have started doing. 

Rik 23 Apr 2024

I’ve got these and they are very good for the price:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-hiking-lightweight-waterproof-overtrous...

Rik

Kryank 23 Apr 2024

I have the OMM halo pants and can recommend them, been out in some awful stuff on Saddleworth and they performed well (I also decked it a couple of times with no rips so was happy about that). They pack down really small too. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...