Remembering Good Climbing Shops that closed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 14 Jun 2015
The idea came from the Needlesports complaint thread about BMC discounts and is partly to thank such independants who are still doing a great job (despite the inevitable odd moaning customer) and to remember keeping these shops going isn't always easy and so to remember those who couldn't keep going.

I'll start where I started in trad: Derby Mountain and Moor was where I purchased half of my first shared outdoor rack... brilliant advice and tales which inspired us to trad climb.
 petestack 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

The much-missed West Coast Outdoor Leisure in Fort William, which burned down in 2006.
In reply to Offwidth:

The old YHA shop on Deansgate Manchester.
 GridNorth 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Tanky Stokes in Sheffield.
Removed User 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Centresports, Leeds & Alan Austin, Bradford.
 Arcturus 14 Jun 2015
In reply to GridNorth:
+1 for Tanky
OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Arcturus:

Lets hear why folks... many here wont know.
 robert-hutton 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Not sure a good.shop but the bivouac in Matlock bath was one of the first climbing peak shops, some nice staff and.good climbers working for an owner who should not have been a shop keeper>
 Dr.S at work 14 Jun 2015
In reply to robert-hutton:

The Rock and Run store on devonshire street in sheffield - had great service there over the years and bought most of my early 'proper' outddor kit from them.
In reply to Offwidth:

Rock & Run in Ambleside back in the early 90's when Wilf's Café was above it.

Both businesses still going thankfully, but Wilf's now in Staverly and Rock & run now seems to be an online shop. They do good deals, but it's not the same.

Touchwood sports in Oxford the only place in the area you could get gear back in the 1980's. Closed down many years ago, now the only place in Oxford seems to be Go Outdoors, out by the ring road.

petestack 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> Lets hear why folks... many here wont know.

Can't speak for Tanky Stokes but, in the case of West Coast...

Excellent range, sound advice from knowledgeable staff, unpressured buying and, above all, superb customer service. When I was buying Nepals shortly before the shop was destroyed by fire, I had more than one size home to try and they even told me to test one pair outside before rejecting then changed it without question when I told them it still wasn't right.
 DaveHK 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Who remembers Highrange Sports on Great Western Road in Glasgow?
Post edited at 13:59
 Dave the Rave 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Hi Peak Leisure and Jo Royles in Stoke.
These shops were where it all began for me.
The owner of hi peak was particularly friendly.
 GridNorth 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

For me Tanky's was the first dedicated climbing shop I knew and it was local. There were other shops, like Blacks and YMCA, but the climbing was almost an add-on as they catered more for walking and camping etc.

Al
 pigbag 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Rockies climbing shack on Portland, a fantastic resource during the new routing boom in the mid to late 90's, especially for new route info.
 petestack 14 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
> Who remembers Highrange Sports on Great Western Road in Glasgow?

I do. Got my first proper mountain boots, crampons and hammer there (already had the axe from Nevisport or Tisos) and nearly added it to my 'West Coast' post!

(Might add that nobody talked about B1s, B2s, B3s etc. in those days... just three-quarter or full shank for more technical boots.)
Post edited at 14:30
 deepsoup 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:
I'd second that. As mountain.martin says R+R still exist, but it's not the same.

Since that's been done, I'll head all the way down to Sussex for my nomination: Peglers.
http://www.welcometosussex.co.uk/peglers-arundel/
 deepstar 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Bryants in Bristol, behind the Colston Hall was pretty good in the 60's and 70's, though how they ever coped with the amount of shop lifting that went on I'll never know. Then in the 80's there was one in Old Market st, I think it was called Equip-U-for Leasure or something.
 Mark Haward 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Anyone remember 'Arvons' in Bethesda. As well as great personal service they made their own rock shoes using Spanish rubber - always came with the verbal warning not to lick the rubber. I believe they had arsenic in them to make them more sticky?!?
In reply to Offwidth:

Don Morrisons on London Road Sheffield. Impecunious rock stars earning some cash working behind the counter. Basher Atkinson, Pollitt et al. All in there at some point. A great place to hang out before heading out to Burbage. Again.
There was a great shop in Nottingham near the railway station, that had really nice staff, and again was a good place to drop into for a brew. Any offers on a name?
 walts4 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Don Morrisons on London road in Sheffield was always worth a visit.

I also remember Taskers in Hope, only ever visited once though as had so little money to spend on climbing gear whilst a youth!
 Trangia 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Graham Tiso - Edinburgh when it was run by Graham himself

Open Spaces - Brighton. Nothing was too much trouble for Ros and Eddie who ran it.

Peglers - Arundel. Best boot shop in the South, very sad when they went bust

Blacks of High Holburn - before they were taken over by Milletts
 Neil 14 Jun 2015
In reply to deepstar:

Quip-U for Leisure - used to work there a bit. Paul and Myra owned and ran it, if I remember correctly they shut up shop to move on to pastures new (Arb work / spending more time with the family).
Working there for £20something a day and every penny got spent on gear, still using it! Day at work then dash down the Gorge/UCR for a few routes, happy days!
Being on Old Market you wouldn't want to walk into the wrong shop and end up in 'Whip-u for Pleasure'

deacondeacon 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

When did Open Spaces go Trangia?
 Andy Hardy 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

A shop I only knew as "Norman's" in Huddersfield. Run by the eponymous Norman, an amiable giant with bottle bottom glasses. I got my first proper harness and boots from him (a troll Mark V and some eb lookalikes called Calanques)
 AlanLittle 14 Jun 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> There was a great shop in Nottingham near the railway station, that had really nice staff, and again was a good place to drop into for a brew. Any offers on a name?

Roger Turner perchance? They had a branch in Leicester too.

nniff 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Pegler's. Very sad loss, courtesy of the VAT man. Anything you wanted they either had or would get.

Alpine Sports in High St Kensington

Field and Trek - the proper, poky little shop in Brentwood, with their 'Contract Price List', where it all started for me. I remember going up to a cash machine, asking for a whole wodge of cash and getting increasingly self-conscious as it kerchunked away counting out £5 after £5.

Removed User 14 Jun 2015
In reply to nniff:

> Alpine Sports in High St Kensington

and in The Strand, where I worked for a couple of months many decades ago, great place until Blacks took it over. High St Ken did have Gabe Regan and Carroll McDermott amongst its staff.

Paul Moores' Glencoe Guides and Gear at Tigh Phuirt should get a mention.

Highrange was like a cross between a museum and a gear shop. Who owned it?

There was a also wee place in George St, Aberdeen, closed in the mid 90s (not Marshalls), forgotten the name.
 Trangia 14 Jun 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

About 3 years ago - Ros and Eddie retired.
 Fruit 14 Jun 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:
Redmayne and Todd was near the station, more camping/general outdoor.

Roger Turner Mountain Sports on Derby Road, London Rd in Leicester I think. Roger and Beryl, two fantastic people, genuine enthusiasts, I believe Beryl did an early female ascent of Cenotaph Corner, in big boots. They gave me a job while I was a student, introduced me to skiing both in the Alps and Bramcote Park
 Heike 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

New Heights in Stirling where I used to buy a lot of my first kit! It was a great shop.
OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Fruit:

Roger Turner was Nottingham. Was a very good shop for climbing and ski.
 steveriley 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Harry Robinson in Lancaster got a fair bit of my school dinner money, happily letting us fondle his new-fangled 'Friends' when the Moac was more our price range. Lent my mate his own ice and stuff when we started dabbling in winter climbing.
 winhill 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Fruit:

> Roger Turner Mountain Sports on Derby Road, London Rd in Leicester I think. Roger and Beryl, two fantastic people, genuine enthusiasts, I believe Beryl did an early female ascent of Cenotaph Corner, in big boots.

Have you seen the tribute to Beryl on the BMC website?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/beryl-turner-1932-2008
 johnwright 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I used to go into Austin shop a lot in the 80s, they always had a good selection of stock, but because he was the YMC president at the time it would have been bad form to shop anywhere else. When you went into the shop Alan would be mooching around the shop in his overalls. That made me smile.
robapplegate 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

The Bivouac, crap shop cos the owner never spent any money on it. But spent many a wet day drinking tea with Paul and smoking tabs in the backroom.
 dgp 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Haward:
Anyone remember 'Arvons' in Bethesda.
Yes bought my first boots (Dolomites !) from Arvons . Anyone remember Brennands ?
 BenTiffin 14 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveRi:
And linked in with Harry Robinsons - Sportak in Burnley. My first Saturday job as a 14 year old.
 radar 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
A trip to Ambleside wasn't complete without a visit to Rack and Ruin, remember lusting after a rainbow check WC gunfighter harness (or was it a Top Gun). Loved the branch in Manchester, coincided with getting a proper job so spent a fair chunk of my wages there. Often phoned and had it posted rather than battling into town on public transport. Guy who worked there only needed the first few digits from my switch card, he knew the rest. Remember sitting in the pub close to their Sheffield branch, ruminating about buying a set of BD wired hexes, I think the beer helped nudge my decision making.

Harry Robinson's in Lancaster, bought my first harness there. Started climbing with the Uni climbing club. Harnesses came in two parts which you bought separately, ah the joys of Troll harnesses. Harry managed to find me a NOS copy of the 73 Kinder guide, he had a box of them upstairs. A few copies made ther way downstairs onto the shop shelves, think he was aanticipating a run on them. He seemed to have everything ever made for the climbing world upstairs. There was another shop in Lancaster too, bought my first Friend there. Machine nuts on the end of the cam axle. Still got it, although it lives on my computer desk now.

Centrepoint in Leeds, oft visited whilst doing teacher training, mainly for shiny bits for my mountain bike.

How could I forget the original Ellis Brigham shop at Hanging Ditch near the Cathedral in Manchester? That was a proper climbing shop, not like the souless chain EB has become.
Post edited at 22:17
 Chris Harris 14 Jun 2015
> There was a great shop in Nottingham near the railway station, that had really nice staff, and again was a good place to drop into for a brew. Any offers on a name?

Castle Mountain & Moor. Back in the day they had a great little place on Castle Boulevard, almost opposite the Castle. They moved up to a big place on Maid Marian Way a number of years back & scaled back the climbing side of things steadily over the years, becoming a clothes/tents/sleeping bags/walking boots dominated place. Great spot for end-of-line kit if you timed it right.

Closed down a year or so back. I guess competition & rent killed them.

Big shout out for Roger & Beryl Turner on Derby Road, as mentioned by several others above. Great people.
Post edited at 22:14
 johncook 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Tanky's and Don Morrisons. Great shops, great people.
 Sealwife 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed User:
There was "The Mountain House" on George Street, Aberdeen for a wee while. Is that the shop you mean?

I bought a pair of Montane fleece sallopettes in there. I still have them.
Post edited at 22:45
 ade m 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

castle mountain & moore bloke called Jayson worked there top man
 John Ww 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Norman Blackburn? Still going, but not in the original scruffy little shop.

JW
 TobyA 15 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> Who remembers Highrange Sports on Great Western Road in Glasgow?

Yeah, right weird shop that one was. I remember buying 70s guidebooks (Requiem is VS/A2 IIRC) in there in the 90s for a a few quid. I was going to ask if the Scout Shop on Pitt Street is still there, but googled it and bizarrely on Streetview you can actually "walk" into the shop! Can't see as much climbing kit as we used to sell in my day though...

The shop in Worcester that closed a couple of years ago was sad as it was the only option in the city. There were some sad and angry letters from the owners left up in the empty windows thanking customers and blaming their bankers.
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to winhill:
Thank you for that, brought back some great memories of Roger and Beryl
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to ade m:

Originally 'Castle Camping' wasn't it, in the little shop.
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Reading this thread it seems that we will lose so much when we buy all our gear from Decathlon type megastores or from anonymous web outlets.
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to dgp:
Arvons
They didn't have a rope cutter, wrapped the rope in tape, cut it with a knife and stuffed the ends in the gas heater, I still do the same today
 wilkie14c 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Is that the old Derby mountain centre up on king street (near the flowerpot)? That's where I spent my early wages. I remember blacks near the old market hall stocked cloning gear too
 Andy Hardy 15 Jun 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Wow that's good to know! I wasn't sure he'd still be alive, never mind running a shop. Whereabouts is the current emporium?
 fmck 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

This makes me think of great western road, Glasgow and the tiny climbing shop. it had action men in the window climbing up a sheet or something. it was the size of a newsagents.
 Chris Harris 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Fruit:

> Originally 'Castle Camping' wasn't it, in the little shop.

Yes, you're right. My memory is clearly going.....
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Roger (Turner) told me a story that when he opened his first shop he sold out on the first day- the stock consisted of one jacket in the window.
 moac 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Thomas and Taylors in Sheffield. Closed in the 70s but never found out why?
 ben b 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I was quite fond of EBs, in the days when they had the shop in the end of the row of miner's cottages in Capel and it felt a bit like someone's front room with a climbing gear counter. I always expected to find tea and some doilies in the back room.

The old Rock'n'Run was great though. Always left with something I probably didn't need but really rather fancied.

Also - not sure if it is still going - but Phil's shop in Stone was stuck in a time warp. Amongst other random oddities I bought a Lowe ballnut, an elderly camalot from the days of the black plastic stem, an RP (hah!), some sort of bolo nut arrangement that allowed you to pointlessly use up two bits of pro on a single easy placement, and a fine pair of teal blue pertex windproof trousers from Mountain Equipment's first foray into clothes in about 1980. All in the late 90s.

b
 jezmartin 15 Jun 2015
I trust I'm not repeating an earlier post but Joe Tasker had a shop called 'magic mountain' in Hope in the early eighties. It sadly closed after his death on the north east ridge of Everest in 1982
 Clarence 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

A +1 for Derby Mountain Centre, I always went there if I needed advice.

Derby used to have quite a few good shops. Powers Sports Department had a few bits of kit to hand but they could order anything in for next week and they were generally cheaper than the others. I got my first set of nuts from there. Prestige Ski & Climb were expensive but out of skiing season they had climbing videos playing on the TV behind the counter. Unfortunately they got shafted in the demise of proper Karrimor. Derby Mountain Centre was the place for proper climbers to congregate, sometimes it was like a woolly grey beard convention. Unfortunately all we are left with now are Blacks and Millets*, places that patrons of the above would fear to be seen dead inside.

*Sports Direct keep telling me that they have kit for all outdoor sports, but I suspect that is a blatant lie and I'm not setting foot in that hellhole anyway. I won't even go into the Westlife Centre (or UpYu or whatever it is called now) so I'm not likely to get to the heart of darkness in any case.
 Grumpy Old Man 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Does anyone else remember Jackson and Warr on Corporation Street in Sheffield. Great shop, they sold but all sorts of nails (clinkers, tricounis, hobb etc.). I think they were eventually taken over by Blacks and closed down when Blacks moved into the city centre. I also bought my first pair of PAs from them way back. If I remember they were the only climbing shop in town in the 1950s.

wilkesley 15 Jun 2015

Don Morrisons was great when Don himself owned it and also when Paul Howarth ran it. Don't think I ever went in after Paul sold it to Jim Ballard.
 John Ww 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Blackburns Outdoor, Old Wakefield Road , Moldgreen, Huddersfield

A bit of internet digging reveals that it's apparently not the same as the original Norman Blackburn's though.

JW
 wilkesley 15 Jun 2015
In reply to jezmartin:

I think there was also a shop in Glossop with the same name, not sure if it was owned by Joe or a patner. It carried on for quite some time after the shop in Hope closed.
 Andy Hardy 15 Jun 2015
In reply to John Ww:

[...] it's apparently not the same as the original Norman Blackburn's though.

> JW

No surprise there! As I remember it Norman's was pretty much a warehouse packed into a corner shop. He didn't do 'displays'. Or very much in the way of lighting...

Also got fond memories of the original Wildtrak in the Handiside Arcade Newcastle.
 Fruit 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Fisher's in Keswick was a fun outdoor emporium before it became an anorak boutique
 radar 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Magic Mountain in Glossop was a different shop, it was the Mountain Equipment factory shop. They had another branch Huddersfield (or Halifax) way. Shop was full of tired looking tat, but every so often you'd find a gem hidden under piles of Ron Hill tracksters.

Shut down a few years ago. Now they have sales once every Preston Guild at the factory in Hyde
 MG 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Powers Sport Depot in Derby was quite a place - much more than climbing though.

Never much liked Prestige, also in Derby. "Yes, that sleeping mat is a lot heavier, but it will balance your pack better". Hmmm....
 Wingnut 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Tradewinds in Wellingborough. No worthwhile rock for miles around (well, unless you count Finedon Slabs), but they still sold climbing kit. Got my first cams in there.
 Bob Aitken 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Trangia reminds me of my lost youth …. almost exactly half a century ago Graham Tiso’s first shop in Rodney Street in Edinburgh was both an inspiration and a test of fortitude for an aspiring youngster. Graham introduced all sorts of new climbing gear, often using Continental suppliers – kit wholly unknown to his prime Scottish ‘competition’ at the time, worthy boring old Blacks of Greenock. But paradoxically Graham was anything but a ‘gear freak’, he always thought simplest was best. He could do a savage line in mockery for lavishly equipped climbers who (in his judgement) substituted gear for ability. If you wanted to buy anything in new fabrics, vibrant colours, or with lots of zips, straps, bells & whistles just because it looked snazzy, Graham would put you through the third degree on what you were planning to do and why you thought you needed that particular item. Then he’d quite often sell you something he regarded from his own experience as more serviceable and durable, even if it was cheaper. So shopping at Tiso’s provided an education as well as a service.
 Root1 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Wildtrak in the Toon basically went bust due to being undercut by the "outdoor supermarkets"
They packed up shop and sold off the brand name. Shame.
Sad day Ken.
OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2015
In reply to radar: Hey! I purchased some of those Ron Hills
 radar 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I think we all did!
 johncook 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

There is a mind-worm I could manage without!
altirando 15 Jun 2015
In reply to johncook:

Has to be Arvons in North Wales, remembered fondly for his phrase 'lufley boots'
 deepsoup 16 Jun 2015
In reply to radar:
> Magic Mountain in Glossop was a different shop

It's a good call though. I miss dropping in there for a rummage on the way home from Manchester, just as you say I bought a fair bit of tat but also picked up some proper bargains.
OP Offwidth 16 Jun 2015
In reply to johncook:

Well since you commented I'll give you a better version of your worm. I much prefered them for the rough and oft dirty rock I sometimes climbed on. Some seams were a bit weak though, and at some stage they always ended up crotchless (and kneeless), until a similar pair were used for patches (then they lasted years). I miss cheap ron hills... these days RAB stretch pants purchased in the sale are better value for most climbing and the patched favorites only come out for chimney fests.
 JayPee630 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes to Rock and Run in Ambleside.

Who was one of the folks that used to work there and post about gear here lots a good few years ago? He was one of the most knowledgeable folks around and always had good advice. Wonder what he's doing now.
 Dave Potter 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

Yeah, but some of the staff........
 ring ouzel 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Derby Mountain Centre was excellent - mainly because they gave me a job! I worked there throughout my Uni days in the mid-80's. Mike and John ran it; lovely blokes.

New Heights in Stirling also got some of my money and Peglers in Arundel got loads of my money when I lived in Surrey. Sad to hear it has closed.

At the moment MacPhersons in Inverness is still open but it is closing down soon as Mr MacP is retiring. A huge loss.
 johncook 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Aaaaaaaaaagh!
In reply to Offwidth:

George Fisher's - when George had it. They sold EVERYTHING - including some of the most obscure gear on Earth.
DC

Dr.S at work 16 Jun 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Dave hunter?
crisp 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Braithwaites's in Oldham.
 JayPee630 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

That rings a bell! Where is he now? Gave brilliant advice in store too!
 london_huddy 16 Jun 2015
In reply to BenTiffin:

Another vote for Harry Robinsons' in Lancaster. I remember going in there with my Dad in the mid-80s: my first gear shop experience.

Brewsters in Penrith were the source of my first rack, bought with lunch money savings a nut and biner at a time. I ended up as the Saturday boy for a couple of years as well. Last time I checked, the external paintwork at the back was still my handiwork.
 barbeg 16 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,
Highrange was absolutely mad! An aladdins cave with no order whatsoever! Brilliant !

ANdy
 abr1966 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Hi Peak Leisure and Jo Royles in Stoke.

> These shops were where it all began for me.

> The owner of hi peak was particularly friendly.

They were both good shops in different ways! And a short walk between the two!
 abr1966 16 Jun 2015
In reply to crisp:

> Braithwaites's in Oldham.

Is that shut now!? I used to work in Oldham and when i left i had about 70 quid of vouchers for Braithwaites as a leaving present....must have been 1998. There was a lad working there who had the biggest foreams ive ever seen!
Removed User 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

The Festerhaunt in Groombridge run by the Tullis family, almost the inventors of southern sandstone climbing, great gear and food especially the bread pudding.
 NigeR 16 Jun 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

> The old YHA shop on Deansgate Manchester.

Fabulous place, run by the wonderful Brian Cropper - one of the nicest human beings you could ever meet.

Bought loads of gear there, and Brian always had time for a brew and a chat. It was also a great place to see and meet many of the top 70's climbers too.
OP Offwidth 17 Jun 2015
In reply:

Thanks to all. Warms the cockles and hopefully helps the independents realise what they mean to folk.
 neilh 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Nick Estcourt's in Altrincham..Willie Todd and the well known Rab Carrington were behind the counter, often drinking "cough" medicine .

Braithwaites's in Warrington - Alfie- always good for a chat

Rock and Run both in Ambleside and in Manchester ( they were near Castlefield)
 nutstory 17 Jun 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

The Roger Turner Mountain Shop in Leicester was the place where the much missed Beryl Turner showed me for the first time an original Acorn, in May 1996. Roger generously sent this treasure to the Nuts Museum in 2001 to commemorate the 40th birthday of the first purpose designed nut!
 critter 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Nobody has mentioned ' Outdoor Action' in Cardiff. Part owned at the time by Pat Littlejohn, I believe. Well ahead of their time when they started selling snowboard and parapenting kit in the early 80's.
 John2 17 Jun 2015
In reply to critter:

I don't think anyone's mentioned Rocky's Climbing Shack at Portland either - used to be the gathering point for local climbers.
 jon_gill1 18 Jun 2015
In reply to John2:

Also there was escape2 in Warwick which I spent hundreds if not thousands in. Spent many happy hours thumbing through guide books and chatting with Al or Russ, who went to lockwoods in leamington spa.sadly closed now and run as an online concern. I now try to buy all my gear from Joe browns in beris.
 DaveHK 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

> Highrange was absolutely mad! An aladdins cave with no order whatsoever! Brilliant !

I was just a kid getting into the outdoors and used to go there with my dad. It was an odd space, I loved the different sections and it smelled a bit like a 2nd hand book shop which is a good thing. My first walking axe and backpacking rucksack came from there.

I know they also had at least one foray into guide books publishing a lowland outcrops guide at one point.

Anyone know anything more about them like who was behind it and why they closed?

petestack 18 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> I know they also had at least one foray into guide books publishing a lowland outcrops guide at one point.

They published at least three: 'Glasgow Outcrops', 'Glasgow Outcrops Vol. II' and 'Eastern Outcrops and Creagh Dubh'. I've got them all.
 Leslie57 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Not closed but..............

The original Nevis sport on the High Street in Fort Bill was brill - And George Fisher in Keswick before it went all trendy!!
 MarkDavies36 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I don't remember the name of it, but i bought my first bits of climbing gear from the climbing shop in the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth (now demolished). From what i remember it always seemed ok
 chris_s 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Distinctly remembered being taken into Survival Aids near Penrith by one of my teachers after a DoE exped in the 1980s. I used to go to their Euston Station branch as well if I had time to kill. More survival/bushcraft focused than climbing, but still a great shop filled with goodies to excite a young teenage boy (knives, hex stoves, tiny GTX tents etc). Seem to remember them having an excellent catalogue too.
 Mal Grey 18 Jun 2015
In reply to MarkDavies36:

Trying to remember it myself, as a lowly poor student in the eighties I used to go in their to drool, but could hardly ever afford to buy anything as then I wouldn't have been able to buy more pints of HSB.

Safari?
 DaveHK 18 Jun 2015
In reply to chris_s:
> Distinctly remembered being taken into Survival Aids near Penrith by one of my teachers after a DoE exped in the 1980s.

Strangely they dropped the Aids bit at some point in the 80s and became the Survival Shop. Had a branch on Buchanan St in Glasgow for a bit too. I had the impression they morphed into some sort of adventure travel outfit for a while but I might be wrong. There's a place near the A66 with survival something written in the same font, wonder if it's related.

Edit: Seems like it might be: http://www.penrithsurvival.com/
Post edited at 17:50
In reply to NigeR:

> Fabulous place, run by the wonderful Brian Cropper - one of the nicest human beings you could ever meet.

> Bought loads of gear there, and Brian always had time for a brew and a chat. It was also a great place to see and meet many of the top 70's climbers too.

I worked there in the late 70's with Brian, good guy. It was a great social place for climbers to meet and have a brew; the new route book was legendry.
 chris_s 18 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes, that's the font!
 pamph 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Haward:

I remember it well. I bought a pair of hairy breeks (like knockerbockers) there in about 1968, having been bought up on a diet of Showell Styles and books likeThe White Spider where everyone wore breeches. I wore them up until the late 70's when they fell apart with overuse. This was in the days when it was cool to look as scruffy as possible as a climber ....except if you were a continental. Damned foreign johnies managed to look smart AND be good climbers, wasn't cricket you know.
 MarkDavies36 19 Jun 2015
In reply to chris_s:

I bought my first RAB down smock from Survival Aids at Euston station in about 1990. Subsequently spent quite a bit there on my way through London
 mikej 21 Jun 2015
In reply to nutstory:

I still have the small acorn that I bought in RT's Mountain Shop (Nottingham) in the mid 1960s. I also once had the larger acorn but donated it to the crag in the late 1960s. Acorns could be very difficult to remove if loaded.
 Stevie A 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Another shout for Paul Moores's Glencoe shop. I spent an inordinate amount of my meagre youthful funds in there, though they were always spot on for the odd discount. Plus, the 'Glencoe Guides and Gear' t-shirt, allied to Ron Hills and neck worn bandana, was de rigueur at the time.
 L.A. 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Stevie A: the 'Glencoe Guides and Gear' t-shirt, allied to Ron Hills and neck worn bandana, was de rigueur at the time.
That made me laugh, I remember it so well

Indy 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Want to mention Peglers of Arundel. Sorely missed for sure.
 Simon cook 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Ellis brighams in capel, John Jackson and Eddie burch worked there in the 70 s. Exeter had Grey's sport shop which was about the only place to buy any climbing gear south of bristol until Moorland Rambler came along, sadly no more.
 wilkesley 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon cook:

There is still an Ellis Brigham "Outlet" in Capel, but it never seems to be open. I bought my first climbing rope (hawser laid) from them when the shop was in the left hand cottage in the row behind the current "Outlet".
ultrabumbly 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Skimmed through this and couldn't see mention of Peak Gear in Glossop. Is that still going in some form?

There are a couple of odd places I remember too from late 80s early 90s. I remember there being a very tiny gear shop in a cafe in Stoney just as I started climbing. There was also a Troll factory shop which I remember as being a lockup type unit in , I think, Uppermill...... I ended up taking a bunch of party animal uni friends there as they all wanted some funky pants for clubbing .
 philpdr 27 Jun 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Both Peak Gear and the Troll shop closed down afair while ago.
 mr mills 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

`The Great Aréte.` When they were based in Upper Bangor in the 90s, it was a super little shop, unfortunately they were being targeted by thieves every week, they moved to the top of the high street a few years later and was never the same, been closed for around 2 years now I think !
 james wardle 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Comsac in Southampton. Shut in 1993. but was where i started buying bits for my climbing career.

staffed by climbers and cavers, they were the center of the climbing community in southampton and most people of a certain generation either worked there or climbed with people who worked there.

I still have the origional nut key i bought from them.

The associated magazine publisher http://trescue.com/ technical rescue still continues. and still run by Ade Scott.
In reply to Offwidth:

Not strictly a shop, but there was a stock of useful climbing stuff sold out of the room behind the counter in Stoney Cafe. I can't remember buying stuff, but prob did. However, most of our meagre cash was earmarked for the Stoney chippy, Royal Oak, and cafe breakfast. Not sure if many of the woodshed dwellers (we were just weekend dilettantes from Nottingham) had much spare to support the little shop, but it just seemed like a better world because it was there.
Off the OP, I'd flag up cafes we love that have disappeared, and start with Stoney. I only live around the corner but never go to the current incarnation of Indian restaurant. I don't think there was ever a better time than sitting outside with a brew, lorries thundering past, braving the outside toilet, then asking the inevitable question. "Stanage?", "yes, Stanage"
 Timmd 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fruit:
> Arvons

> They didn't have a rope cutter, wrapped the rope in tape, cut it with a knife and stuffed the ends in the gas heater, I still do the same today

You can heat a knife with a flame, and that melts through like a rope cutter does, I do it onto an old tile.
Post edited at 23:52
 Timmd 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob Aitken:

> If you wanted to buy anything in new fabrics, vibrant colours, or with lots of zips, straps, bells & whistles just because it looked snazzy, Graham would put you through the third degree on what you were planning to do and why you thought you needed that particular item. Then he’d quite often sell you something he regarded from his own experience as more serviceable and durable, even if it was cheaper. So shopping at Tiso’s provided an education as well as a service.

That's selling with integrity.
 David Cowley 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Wildtrak in Newcastl used to buy all my gear there before it closed, can remember being taken there by my uncle at 10 year old getting my first harness
 AsleepOnBelay 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

+1 for Centresports in Leeds, bought my first pair of boots in there - boreal fires from their 2nd hand bin. I can remember the battered new routes book and all the kit I couldnt afford!
In reply to Offwidth:
Lots of these shops bring back late 60's & 70's memories - Don Morrisons, Tankys, EBCapel but Joe Browns seemed to be the place I bought a lot of gear and he is still going - bought a set of DMM cams from there last year. A couple of stories that might amuse. I lived in Bethesda for a year and one Saturday went down to the laundrette to do the washing. Having loaded up the machine I went to Arfons to browse the gear. When I got back to the laundrette there was a sheep tied to one of the machines. It terrorised customers and covered the floor in its droppings until a farmer turned up, unloaded his machine and led it off to his Landy.
I bought a Curver ice axe direct from the factory in Deiniolen in 1973 - the fibreglass was still warm and even better it cost me about half the shop price - still got it.
I lived in Norwich for a while and an outdoor shop opened - mainly camping but the owner wanted to build customers so he offered to get climbing gear for us - he tried hard and wasn't over-priced - we stayed with him because he served our needs - a lot of modern businesses just don't get this basic point.
 Bob Kemp 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

A mention for Frank Booth's in Kendal. I can't even remember what it was called - maybe Kendal Mountain Sports? It was tiny (used to be Frank's parents' sweet-shop) but it mostly had what you needed. And it had Frank, always friendly, funny, full of good advice, and free with the tea.
 nickh1964 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Norman Blackburns in Huddersfield was down in Lockwood, not where it is now, he was great, used to get seconds and salesmans samples and test models from Rohan and Karrimor, got my first climbing sac there (canvas Haston Vallot) and most of my early kit.
The Rohan seconds meant that the Vibram, the local club, must have been the best turned out in Britain.
Plus the great Wildtrak in the Handyside arcade as noted above, many a happy time when I would get my copy of Viz comic from the record shop there and then nip in for a chat with Ken.
And ket us not forget John Dunn who had a great little shop just down from where I worked in Bradford, he was always very friendly and happy to chat, much missed as a retail outlet.
Yup, the little independents were great, so much more fun than the internet.
OP Offwidth 06 Jul 2015
In reply to all:

You are a bunch of stars. I'd hoped for some positives in this thread (in contrast to the one that gave me the idea .... and the all too common bickering here) and did I get it
 Owen240 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Does anyone still remember Nick-Nack Paddywack's? I fondly remember conversing with good old Charles Longfield - his beautiful red moustache irreverently pointing skywards - as he attached camping stoves to his polished, up-turned Anasazi pinks. Those were the days!

Funnily enough, I caught him freesoloing Indian Face last week and watched him fall to his death only to activate a concealed parachute under his floral cardigan. He was a true legend, and I hope to one day see him twirl his moustache in, perhaps, a private showing. I think about him every day...
Post edited at 01:13
In reply to philpdr:

Was hoing to mention Peak Gear as I lived in Glossop for a good few years. Used to be run by Al Parker...a proper climbers' shop.

But how about Climber and Rambler that used to be in Betws y Coed, and definitely +1 for the old Rock & Run in Ambleside.

Whenever in either Betws y Coed or Ambleside I always think the places are soulless and just have an homogenised offer of multiples (with the excepion of Cunninghams and Frank Davies' The Climbers Shop)

I have a prediction that local independent bike shops may suffer the same fete if not supported.
 wilkesley 31 Jul 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner:

Whole towns have been taken over by chains of outdoor shops. When I first lived in Sheffield/Peak towns like Bakewell and Hathersage had "proper" shops in addition to "Outdoor" shops. Now most of the shops in these two places are some sort of outdoor gear emporium. There are very few other types of retail outlet. It's not as though Hathersage and Bakewell have a nearby retail park, where the other shops have moved to.
 leland stamper 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil:

Was that the one that also sold diving/caving equipment?
 leland stamper 31 Jul 2015
In reply to nniff:

Worked in F&T Brentwoodin the late seventies as a saturday boy. It was brilliant. Even with a big staff discount and a generous gear testing policy, a lot of stuff went out one of the back windows. We even had a staff new years trip to Aviemore I seem to remember.
Sadly F&T is now a very small and useless part of Sports Direct after it tried to expand across the south.
Terrys Festerhaunt was the place where as a ten year old I tried to work out whether sky hooks were for real. Big agreement on the bread pudding though.
Joe Browns was always a disappointment as he never seemed to be in there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...