Hole in Quasar groundsheet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FranC 07 Oct 2020

Hello, I found a small hole in the groundsheet of my Quasar tent this weekend. It's pretty tiny but I'm fond of my tent and want to do a good job of repairing it, ideally without sending it back to TN to get repaired. Does anyone have any suggestions what is best to do/use? I've heard that spinnaker tape can be used - has anyone tried this? Thanks for your help  

Removed User 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

Try Gorilla tape    shit name but its the best tape by far

Mal Grey 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

Tenacious Tape is what I use, if its a small hole/rip. Excellent stuff.

pec 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

I've repaired several tents, groundsheets and fly sheets with spinnaker tape and it seeems to work well.

Steve Clegg 07 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Gorilla tape.

This. A bit on either side. It’s lasted years. 
Steve

PaulJepson 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

Tenacious tape on both sides then cover it in seam sealer. 

LastBoyScout 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

As I linked on the shoe repair thread, I've used this to repair the bottom of the kids paddling pool - should be fine on a tent groundsheet:

https://www.bison.net/en/product.2823

If you need to fill in a hole (i.e. there's a bit missing) then put tape on one side and this on the other.

Removed User 07 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

Get yourself to a marine/boat chandlery and foist your problem. Almost always staff in these places are fountains of knowledge and relish problems like these. They have stuff that far beyond Gorilla and Tenacious tape and usually at a fraction of the cost as bought of the roll. A few years back I was shown some unnamed stuff for Maxi spinnakers (ie massive tear strength) that has a dyneema weave, sticks to anything and because it's woven, far outlasts stuff that's a non-woven laminate on places that get high wear. Enough for a decade cost about $20. Only available in white.

Watch out for these stores; if you thought climbing shops were full of all sorts of things you have to have, wait till you see these. Often much cheaper than the boutique climbing industry asks too.

m dunn 07 Oct 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

In my experience, tenacious tape is completely useless except as a temporary solution. It seems fine when applied, but deteriorates and cracks very quickly. 

In reply to FranC:

+1 for spinnaker tape. Good for the fly sheet too.

ianstevens 08 Oct 2020
In reply to FranC:

Your other option is to send it to Lancashire Sports Repairs (I know this is circumventing the details rather than the spirit of the criteria). Fixed my 10+ year old quasar up nicely and IIRC wasn’t too expensive...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...