Retrievable ice screw rappel anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Houghton 27 Apr 2017
Anyone got any opinions? Or prior experience?

They seem like a useful, if slightly terrifying, skill to learn...
 Wild Isle 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Pete Houghton:

V threads are the way to go
 DaveHK 27 Apr 2017

I've seen this in books but don't know anyone who's actually tried it. Lots to go wrong I think.
OP Pete Houghton 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Wild Isle:

Obviously, given the choice... but let's just say that the same strong winds that forced a retreat halfway up this route have ripped the bundle of tat from my hands whilst about to thread it... and my ropes are too fat, wet, and cold to thread the hole direct...
 Simon4 27 Apr 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> I know anyone who's actually tried it.

Do you mean "anyone who's tried it and survived"?

ianstevens 27 Apr 2017
> Obviously, given the choice... but let's just say that the same strong winds that forced a retreat halfway up this route have ripped the bundle of tat from my hands whilst about to thread it... and my ropes are too fat, wet, and cold to thread the hole direct...

You're probably about to leave £50-£100 halfway up a route. Come back when it's melted with a metal detector and collect them from the base.
Post edited at 15:08

In a borderline dangerous situation like that would you not be willing to just sacrifice a few screws?
 Wild Isle 27 Apr 2017

Up your skills and carry adequate amounts of tat.
Removed User 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon4:

> Do you mean "anyone who's tried it and survived"?

I seem to remember Mick Fowler writing about retreating on retrieved ice-screws. Can't remember where it was, however.
 Simon4 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Actually I did know about that, was being a bit hyperbolic.

It was with Pat Littlejohn, who can be reasonably presumed to know what he is doing, though I never did find out how he got on with his client on the Frontier Ridge after sharing the Forche bivi with us, though presumably cruised it.

I think it is for ordinary mortals that the "do you feel lucky, punk?" aspect comes in, and I certainly would not feel lucky enough. But then I normally carry a highly sophisticated Abolokov hook on Alpine routes, crafted by the most skilled engineers and made from the finest materials - also known as a cut-up and twisted old coat-hanger, weights nothing and sits in the back of my pack.
 HeMa 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon4:
A russia friend I climbed with said that the retriveable icescrews is their to-go method. That said, he did say that he liked the no fuss approach of V-threads and tat.
 Simon4 27 Apr 2017
In reply to HeMa:
It is curious that the supposed country of origin of the Abolokov should prefer the retrievable ice-screw approach, but it is quite a while since I had much to do with any Russian climbers.

Sounds a bit too much like Russian roulette rather than Russian ice-protection for my taste.
Post edited at 16:00
 nniff 27 Apr 2017

It's always struck me as one of those theoretically viable things that only those with a point to prove would try. Besides, if you've got enough tat to wrap around a screw, you've got enough for a thread. If pushed, I'd leave a short sling/long QD and a krab behind (thread one end only of sling, krab as a 'block' at the other) after a bit of a bounce test.
 HeMa 27 Apr 2017
In reply to nniff:
The russians used sling, the same they used when going up.

So no tat needed.
 jon 27 Apr 2017

I've used these though never in anger. Always as demos. They never failed to work.

However... you are on just one screw - though I'm sure it'd be theoretically possible to somehow make it work with two though that'd increase the chances it wouldn't work by a huge factor. And secondly, if it doesn't then you're stuffed as your rope would be stuck. This was of course an old trick from long before threads became accepted as the best practice.
 Simon4 27 Apr 2017
In reply to jon:

> if it doesn't (work) then you're stuffed as your rope would be stuck.

And you would neither be able to pull it down, nor dare to prussik up it as you would not trust the anchor enough for that.

jon 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon4:

Exactly.
 freeheel47 29 Apr 2017

I'm sure I saw an illustration of an even more ludicrous technique with ice axes- piolet ejection or similar...
 jon 29 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

Oh yes, I remember that. Fielding an ice screw on the end of a rope is one thing... but a couple off ice axes is quite another!
 timmeehhhh 30 Apr 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

yes, a way of abseiling from a t-slot anchor which allows for the recovery of the ice-axe by using another ice axe....
 JSTaylor 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon4:

For what it is worth... was taught this technique by Pat himself. I can testify that it works. It is just another skill to learn and potentially a very useful one. Managed eight consecutive abseils with one screw. Would Abalakovs been safer? Possibly... but if you are short of gear it is always good to be able leverage what you have.
OP Pete Houghton 30 Apr 2017
In reply to Wild Isle:
> Up your skills and carry adequate amounts of tat.

I have to say, I was more interested in starting a discussion about getting out of potential worst-case scenarios than having a little passive-aggressive snarkiness sent my way. I always have a pocket full of tat, thanks, and I'm also aware of the fact that things go wrong and it's best to have a few extra cards up your sleeve when they do.

Thanks for the enlightening back and forth, all!

I've also seen the instructions for those retrievable axe anchors, they look even less fun...
Post edited at 21:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...