Kilimanjaro - Route Choice - Lemosho or Machame

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Summithunter 25 Jul 2018

Hi All,

Just seeking advice in regards with which route is ideal for acclimatization at Kilimanjaro.

I am confused between 3 X Routes a) Lemosho Western Breach Route, b) Lemosho – Barafu Crater Route or Machame Route

I have climbed over 6000mts on several occasions in Nepal, India and South America however this  trip ( Oct 2018) has been planned last minute and prior to arriving in Tanzania we will be backpacking across Europe for 3 weeks so this would be towards the end of the trip and I assume I would be exhausted.

I have 9 full days in Tanzania and would depart on day 10.

Looking for suggestions from someone who has knowledge about this / from some one who has already been here.. I have read the Western Breach Route is dangerous and is not recommended? Any thoughts?  I am looking to stay for a night a night at crater camp prior to summit which will allow me to break up the long walk to the summit and back to Mweka Gate.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tom Briggs 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Summithunter:

You could do the Lemosho/Barafu route in 8 days including nights at both Shira 1 and Shira 2 (3800m) camp (recommended).

Machame is the same route from Shira 2, but you take one less day to get there so less acclimatisation.

The Western Breach suffers from rockfall, so you have to go and have a look and decide, assuming you are a competent mountaineer. We climb it in September, but avoid it in October as there's more likely to be snow.

Not sure what you mean by crater camp? If you mean sleeping in the crater, this wouldn't be recommended in the timeframe. I wish the National Park would just ban sleeping in the crater, as it puts porters at risk sleeping that high.

Summithunter 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thanks for your response. 

Please see below link . specifically Day 7 where we would camp at Crater Camp. This is what i was referring to 

Kili warriors appears to have two  options with Lemosho Route first one we would have before summit and the second option is after summit 

https://www.kiliwarriorexpeditions.com/lemosho-western-breach-route-overvie... 

https://www.kiliwarriorexpeditions.com/lemosho-barafu-crater-route-overview...

jungle 25 Jul 2018

I did the Machame route a few years ago, it was scenic, fairly easy and can vaguely recall only one day where any of us struggled with altitude.

We did it guided, but I think that is a requirement of the national park isn't it?

Tom Briggs 25 Jul 2018

Crater camp is at 5640m and they're suggesting sleeping there on day 7 (on the Lemosho-Barafu itinerary), having slept no higher than 4650m at Barafu. It's hard to put this any other way other than to say that is utterly reckless.

Post edited at 10:18
Summithunter 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Agree... which is why I was not to keen on Option B .. but was wondering the route with western breach is a possibility .. Night on Day 6 would be at 4846 mts Arrow Glacier Camp.

Any thoughts ?

https://www.kiliwarriorexpeditions.com/lemosho-western-breach-route-overvie... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...