How to Organise a (High altitude) Expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asdf123 15 Feb 2017
Hi
I am interested in high altitude mountaineering. Out of interest, I wonder how experienced mountaineers would go about when organizing an expedition to say an 8000 m peak (without paying overpriced prizes to say an agency...)

With a bit less high mountains (like aconcagua, or mera peak) I guess you would just book some lokal carriers and maybe guides (or am I wrong?). However I have trouble imagining how you would do it with lets say Cho Oyu or so...
 Andy Nisbet 15 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

To be honest, if you haven't been before, I would hire a local agency. Unless you're really short on cash, it's money well spent. It only tends to be much more expensive if you hire a British agency who then hire a local agency. But even that may not be as much more as you think.
 RR 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

Organising an expedition yourself is a lot of work. If you are going do it yourself, the most important is to get good reliable (experienced) partners and get to know them and climb a lot together in advance.
Better a short shock then a long lasting misunderstanding with unfit partners which whom you can’t get along and a failed (costly) expedition.
To discover that things don’t work on the hill is killing (by experience).
As Andy says it is money well spent for the first time to hire a guide/organisation/agency. You can learn a lot from them. Winter climbing and camping in Scotland is good training.
 Tom Briggs 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:
> However I have trouble imagining how you would do it with lets say Cho Oyu or so...

Unless you have a decent-sized group (8+ climbers) organising your own 'supported' expedition to an 8000er that is fully independent of other climbers is likely to be more expensive than joining an organised team with a UK operator (with a leader).

For Cho Oyu, you have to pay the Chinese a fixed price per team member and if you want to bring any Sherpas or cook staff from Nepal, you pay a fixed price for each of those people. If you're a team of really experienced mountaineers who are not looking for much support above BC, then clearly you would save on the costs associated with employing Sherpas. But most people are not up to that.

I find it weird how there's a perception of 'over-pricing'. It's certainly not the agencies who pay their Sherpas well. Sherpas want higher wages and a higher standard of living, and who can blame them? In respect of Cho Oyu, if anyone is over-pricing, it's the Chinese. The reality is that unless you have a big team organising an expedition to an 8000er, certainly to Cho Oyu, is incredibly expensive and there's very little to made out of it. Doing it 'on the cheap' means sharing base camp services and resources on the mountain with others through a local agency, with all the associated potential problems.
Post edited at 09:25
OP asdf123 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

Maybe I should have said first off: I am not planning on going on such an expedition!

I just wonder how an experienced mountaineer (who might have started out by going through agencies) would do it.
 GrahamD 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

Reading a Chris Bonnington Book like Everest the Hard Way may give an idea. Or on a totally different scale try reading Savage Arena.
 OwenM 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

No 8000m peaks but lots of 6000m ones in south America. Assuming you have some reliant Alpine experience all you need is bunch of like minded mate, buy your plane tickets and go.
OP asdf123 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

Yes well I guessed that, especially the ones you can do in a couple of days. I wondered more about larger, more serious expeditions
 Damo 16 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

> ... how an experienced mountaineer (who might have started out by going through agencies) would do it.

An experienced mountaineer would definitely use a local agency. An inexperienced mountaineer would try to do it all herself out of a misguided sense of tradition, 'purity' of style and independence.

The only justifiable reason to do it is to save money, but you end up working for that saving, and in the dirty 40C heat of Islamabad with oblivious officials ignoring you that is no way to spend your holiday.

In theory you can do it all yourself with no local agency involved, let alone not paying a western operator, but it's not worth the trouble. I've come pretty close to doing it that way, with only the most minimal agency involvement (due to trying to save money) but it's getting increasingly harder to do. The system is set up for agencies offering full-service trips where they take care of everything, for a higher price obviously, or people going on western guided trips via a local agency, so the govt departments are not used a giant white guy bowling in with an armful of paperwork and odd demands - speaking no Nepali, or Urdu. This is one concrete way that commercialization of climbing has changed it for everyone, not just those on commercial trips.

The agencies don't like or want people just doing this minimal thing as there is no money in it for them, but still some work. They don't get to make money off the sub-contracting of kitchen staff, other staff, transport, porters and the red tape process. In most cases (not all) they can do this much better than you anyway, so it's wise to have them do it.

If going super-minimal via an agency they will probably charge you an admin fee which is for them to process the minimal red-tape you are getting them to do, such as get the actual permit from the govt or arrange porter insurance, and for me this has been like $40 or $70 per expedition member. This only works at all because $70 goes a lot further in KTM than it does in London.

The logistics of Cho Oyu (north side) and Shishapanmga are relatively restricted as they are in Tibet and the Chinese are running things pretty strictly nowadays. I dealt with the CTMA personally for trip to a remote high 7000er in 2005 and they were quite good then, but we still needed a local agent in KTM to arrange a group visa for us and get us to the border to cross and swap, and return again.

Foreign mountaineers have always used local agents to some degree - Shipton, Bonington, Fowler, all of them - it's just a question of degree.

The cheapest and best most independent way to do an 8000er now is to get a small group of you together, at least four, and join onto the permit of one of the local agencies providing a BC-only service. By joining in a group you not just have reliable teammates but more sway in how things go - as opposed to joining alone when you really are at the mercy of what everyone else does. Because, as Tom implied, there will be problems.

In addition to that, you really need to take more time to pre-acclimatise by trekking in the Khumbu, Langtang, Lakakh or somewhere hassle-free where you can easily spend time up high, eating good food in a village lodge, not cooking in a tent. Then return to KTM/ISB for a day or two and then go on the main trip. You avoid wasting time and energy acclimatising for the main objective and can get on with it. Even more so because most commercial itineraries are too short to allow for weather delays, a failed summit attempt, then a second attempt. It gives you more flexibility to circumvent the people-problems that will inevitably arise and mess things up, as you are not so reliant on the timetables of others.
 splat2million 17 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

For popular places like Mera Peak (and the many other great Nepalese trekking peaks) someone can go on to TripAdvisor and search for Nepalese trekking companies. Then you can just turn up to Katmandu with a bunch of $USD in cash to pay to the office and they sort out the rest. Many 6000m peaks in Nepal are easily accessible to someone with basic mountaineering ability and reasonable fitness.
The higher stuff is a bit more complicated to organise on your own but there are still budget local companies (I believe there's at least one that does Everest regularly, although don't ask about their safety record...). There's a reason weekend warriors high expensive agencies and experienced guides!
 splat2million 17 Feb 2017
In reply to asdf123:

For popular places like Mera Peak (and the many other great Nepalese trekking peaks) someone can go on to TripAdvisor and search for Nepalese trekking companies. Then you can just turn up to Katmandu with a bunch of $USD in cash to pay to the office and they sort out the rest. Many 6000m peaks in Nepal are easily accessible to someone with basic mountaineering ability and reasonable fitness.
The higher stuff is a bit more complicated to organise on your own but there are still budget local companies (I believe there's at least one that does Everest regularly, although don't ask about their safety record...). There's a reason weekend warriors with limited experience (but lots of enthusiasm) use expensive agencies and experienced guides!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...