Scugdale, Dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 15 Mar 2024

I'm visiting the in laws this weekend and being the miserable sod I am was going to sneak off for a spot of bouldering/soloing. However, my wife's family have now expressed an interest in tagging along, which inevitably involes two whippets and a collie. My original plan was Scugdale, the access notes on here say dogs on short leads but Rockfax says no dogs. Does anyone know which is correct?

DaveHK 15 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Nae Dugdale.  

Post edited at 10:20
 davepembs 15 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

It’s on open access land and there are no restrictions on dogs for shooting using the crow maps. Also public footpaths and bridleways over the moor, dogs are perfectly legal on short leads/under close control, have a good day.

C Witter 15 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Lovely place, enjoy! Some good little routes. The E1s are mostly amenable. Snappy rock on one of the E2s (the one with an E1 one side and e2 the other). Loads of good VS and HVS.

Mike Conlon 16 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

There is a fairly unique arrangement in respect to dogs at Scugdale. Being on Open Access Land does not give a right to take dogs, other than on public rights of way and under control. When the access arrangements were negotiated, the landowners were sympathetic to climbers wishing to be accompanied by their dogs at the crag. The concession was agreed that dogs could be taken but must be kept on a lead.

Relations between the landowners, tennant farmer and climbing community are fairly amicable despite a number of challenges, including erosion, parking and vandalism. It is important that every effort is made to maintain these good relations, including keeping dogs under control and on a lead.

Enjoy your visit and the climbing.

Mike Conlon

BMC Access and Conservation Volunteer.

OP ebdon 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Thanks Mike, after posting I did look at the RAD, which is much clearer which I should have done in the first place!

I know Scugdale well (I should probably stop being so lazy and explore further) and think it's a lovlely place, hence the concerns over access. 

spidermonkey09 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Off topic but I don't think this is correct. On CROW land/land designated as open access there is a right to walk on the land accompanied by a dog under close control, regardless of whether on a footpath or not. The restriction to PROW kicks in where a landowner has applied for an exemption, as in the case of grouse moors at eg Embsay Moor. Generally speaking, if its CROW land there is a legal right to walk your dog there. Please correct me if I'm mistaken but the website seems pretty clear, obviously the Scugdale context may be different, I'm not familiar with the crag.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/open-access-land-management-rights-and-responsi...

Mike Conlon 16 Mar 2024
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Apologies and thank you for the correction. I was confusing with the many areas of North York Moors Oppen Access Land, that have " rolling" five year dog restrictions applied, other than on ROWs.

Worth noting it's bird nesting season (1st March - 31st July) and dogs are required to be on lead (no more than 2m) on access land. Leads not required while on PRoW. 

Post edited at 19:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...