Single-speeds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 tehmarks 13 Mar 2024

Mr. Durran's recent search for a bike, and some of the advice given, got me thinking about a single-speed for cutting about town. But I know nothing about single-speed bikes.

I quickly came across Mango Bikes while Googling and am drawn (partially by aesthetics I must admit) - does anyone have either experience of them, or recommendations for other single-speed bikes/manufacturers?

65 13 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Oddly I nearly bought a Mango from Gumtree yesterday as I've been looking for a cheap town bike. I declined as a few things made me think there was a chance it might be stolen. (I bought a folder instead). Mango bikes get good reviews, albeit they seem to have very long front centres, though that will reduce the chance of toe overlap. Lots for sale on eBay etc at very low prices.

If you are either strong or live somewhere flattish, I reckon a singlespeed would perfect for a town bike. I'd really like a singlespeed mountain bike (in addition to a geared one), a good friend swears by SS and has placed pretty highly on things like the double Cairngorm loop, Deeside Trail non-stop etc, as well as events like the Strathpuffer. He rides a fat bike and a normal 29er and reckons that on rolling terrain you get into a much more relaxed and economical way of riding with the enforced rests you get when you can't pedal fast enough downhill. Another friend works as a courier, he rides a singlespeed and this is in Edinburgh which is hilly.

The nearest I got to SS riding was a few years ago when my rear mech disintegrated on my road bike in the Pyrenees. I used it as a SS while waiting for a new mech to arrive. No good for the big cols but for punting about the valleys I really enjoyed its simplicity and how it forced me to let go of having to go fast all the time.

PaulW 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Just remember there is a difference between single speed and fixed.

I had a single speed for a rolling 6 mile urban commute and it worked well for that

steveriley 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I don’t ride much at the moment but am a fan of single speed and fixed. I’ve got a SS mtb built from parts and a donated frame and it’s actually the easiest thing to pick for a roll down to the shops, family ride or an hour in the forest. There’s something no nonsense and even quite meditative about just pedalling. I’ve also got a single speed cross bike, most often on fixed. Super versatile and works as a commuter, road or off-road with a change of tyres and gear setup (beauty of horizontal drop outs). Some ramblings here: http://www.63xc.com/sriley/pompriley.htm

chiroshi 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I would recommend you have a look at the classifieds of the LFGSS forum. There will likely be some much nicer bikes than Mango for similar or less money. The main benefits of SS are ease of maintenance and reduced weight / complexity. Buying a cheap SS like Mango will probably not make the most of these points (I don't have any experience with them so I may be wrong here). 

Rampart 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I had (until it was nicked) a nice Dolan bike that I was very pleased with. They do - or did, at least - made-up bikes, or just frames, so you can trick it out to your own taste.

DamonRoberts 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I rode a single speed 100mm travel Kona Caldera offroad round Surrey Hills for years, it was excellent fun overtaking roadies up hills cause you couldn't go any slower. I totally agree about the zen feeling riding one. I certainly didn't realise how much (mainly subconscious) thought I put into riding a bike with gears till they weren't there, it makes the flats more relaxing, and teaches you to ride smoothly and maintain speed on the downs. 

From what I know about Mango, some of their bikes are high tensile steel frames and forks, I'd avoid these, certainly for the frame as they weigh a ton and aren't nice to ride compared to nicer steel, keep an eye out for a chromoly model. There's not much to go wrong with them, so not much to look out for other than usual bearings and brake cables, all easy to sort. 

I'd echo the recommendation for something based on a nicer older frame. 

nniff 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I rode a fixie into London for many years.  In the end, the hill starts at the numerous traffic lights got too much for my knees.  I could have put a bigger sprocket on the back, but where there's a hill start one way, there's a spinning out descent the other.  I changed to gears in the end - an early 'adventure' bike, now known as a gravel bike, which is a euphemism for 'heavy'

For riding in town, as long as it's not hilly, a fixie is the way to go.  Lots of control, little to go wrong and the bits last for ages - a fat, straight pull chain, and most braking is done by the pedals.  I only ever replaced tyres and brake pads (and then very rarely the back ones).  Downsides - it's hard work uphill and can be uncomfortable downhill, sharp speedbumps are unpleasant, and you'll only try and freewheel once....

Clipless pedals and shoes make it safer and more efficient.

Steel Pearson Hanzo for me.

Post edited at 12:07
 Robert Durran 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

> Mr. Durran's recent search for a bike, and some of the advice given, got me thinking about a single-speed for cutting about town. But I know nothing about single-speed bikes.

Reading this thread I am even more persuaded single speed is the way for me to go. What with one thing or the other not got mine sorted yet, but am almost looking forward to trying it.

DaveHK 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Do you have any old bikes you don't use much? How are your spannering skills?  It's pretty easy and cheap to convert a bike to SS. You could even buy something 2nd hand and convert it.

Rog Wilko 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Back in the day I rode many a mile on single fixed, including plenty of TTs. In winter I rarely rode any geared bike. The received wisdom was that this winter background training was invaluable for keeping fit and teaching you to pedal. Other advantages were seen as giving you better bike control and it kept bike maintenance simple in the winter when the roads were filthy and bikes got covered with the proverbial. If you are riding where steep hills are a normal part of life it ain’t so hot. As competitive teens we used to just attack the hills at full gas and get to the top somehow, but for hills of any length it was hard. IIRC we used to go for about a 68” gear, if that means anything to anyone these days. Probably about 48x19.

OP tehmarks 14 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I have an old hardtail that I'd like to do something with a some point, but it sat outside for the best part of 18 months and needs some TLC. I've always fancied sticking a rigid fork on it - maybe if the single-speed experiment goes well it would be a candidate for conversion too as a more adventure-capable version - but I like the idea of having an urban-oriented bike too. 

DaveHK 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Old hardtails make great urban bikes but maybe you want to keep it for an off-road SS.

DaveHK 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Back in the day I rode many a mile on single fixed, including plenty of TTs. 

I've ridden fixies for a long time, manly as urban commuters and I really missed it when I didn't have one. I've also spent a few years riding fixies off-road. It's not for everyone but I find it an absolute hoot and it's taught me loads about bike handling. It broke the habit of having a lead foot and took away all fear of pedal strikes!

SXPembs 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Ease of switching to singlespeed definitely depends on the terrain and whether you're carrying stuff. I used to mountainbike with a singlespeed purist and steep hills were brutal on his knees. After a decade of regular riding he was starting to worry about his knees getting knackered. If you every schlep heavy things around in your panniers (e.g. groceries) then I also wouldn't go for a singlespeed.

artif 14 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Check out SE bikes, there's a great community built up around them and other 29"  bmx's. Coming from tech loaded dh bikes it's a relief and joy to get back to basics of just riding, on or off road just hacking about. 

OP tehmarks 22 Mar 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Well, in the end I eBayed a Mango (actually the exact Mango I was looking at new: correct size, same bars, same colour) for less than it's cost me to collect it. Now one question remains: what tyres should I put on it?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...