Off road on Lewis

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 French Erick 17 Mar 2024

Has anyone managed to cycle from the bridge to nowhere (north tolsta) to Ness (filiscleitir) on the east coast? I suspect it would be very wet on a lot of pushing but perhaps someone has tried?

it would be about 8km. Satellite image isn’t clearly showing a path.

In reply to French Erick:

Hi Erick, I asked my friend who lives in North Tolsta, heres his reply:

"You'd just be pushing the bike for almost all of it. It's also longer than 8km. It might look like there's a path on OS maps but there isn't. All the best French Erick"

OP French Erick 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Thanks Simon. I suspected as much

Does your friend speak Gàidhlig per any chance?

65 17 Mar 2024

I asked about this a couple of years ago when I was working there and got told pretty much the same thing by several local folk.

I found this:
http://www.hebrideancycleclub.com/ride20120322.htm

Post edited at 23:43
 Jack Frost 18 Mar 2024

I ran from Stornoway Airport up that coast to Ness a couple of years ago. Any semblance of a track disappeared as I crossed the Abhainn na Cloich, a km or so past the Bridge to Nowhere. There was then about 11km of heathery pathless sloppy bog until reaching the peat road that comes in from Skigersta.  

ChrisJD 18 Mar 2024
In reply to 65:

Look like these guys had a good very memorable and tough trip north to south hugging the cliff top indistinct tracks (these are visible on Google Earth).  In land looks a boggy 'mare following the OS 'tracks'.

It's really boggy and would leave tracks that will last for years. There's another similarly boggy path in Harris that was cycled around 5 years ago and the tracks are still visible. 

The track to Tamnabhaigh makes for a good off road cycle. About 24km.

ChrisJD 18 Mar 2024
In reply to twentytwoangrymen:

From the link posted above by the local guys who did it; don't follow the OS map trails, use the cliff top walkers trails away from the inland bog fest.

OP French Erick 19 Mar 2024
In reply to twentytwoangrymen:

Thanks for your beta.

I was more into discovering the island on my gravel bike fully loaded. I think I will give this a miss as it would be too much hard work for my leisurely 4 full days on the island. Plenty of other places I can go to instead.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...