Unless you're a sheep, the grassy hump of Bowscale Fell looks only moderately promising from a distance. Yet this northernmost summit of the Blencathra range has a hidden scenic corner, the high glacial bowl of Bowscale Tarn. Typical of the rolling northern fells there's a feeling of empty spaciousness here, and wide views out over the nearby farmland of the Eden Valley. Several routes are possible, but the circuit described here is probably the shortest, easiest and most obvious. Do it as a quick hill run, or stretch it into a family-friendly half day.
This has been viewed 6,482 times
Distance: 5 miles (8.13 km)
Total ascent: 502m
Steepest Gradient: 39% (1 in 3)
Time: 2 – 3 hours (Walking)
SummitsBowscale Fell 702 m
Verge parking just south of the houses at Bowscale, north of Mungrisdale village, NY358316
First an easy farm track and then a well-trodden hill path up to Bowscale Tarn. The ascent path from here is obvious, briefly very steep before a gentle finish across the broad easy angled summit slopes. The return to Bowscale Tarn is steep, path-free grass, but quick.
The slopes above Bowscale Tarn could feel fairly steep in the snow; axe and crampons probably a sensible precaution.
Weather and Hill Conditions: mwis: Lake District – Met Office: Lake District
Penrith - Keswick buses on the A66, but that only gets you as far as the Mungrisdale turnoff.
OS Explorer OL5 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 90 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Keswick (017687 72645); Pooley Bridge (017684 86530); Rheged (01768 860 034)
by Dan Bailey UKH
- Lomond Hills - The Full Circuit 22 Feb
- Tavy Cleave and Hare Tor 10 Jan
- Glen Sherup Horseshoe, Ochil Hills 16 Dec, 2020
- High Willhays, Yes Tor, Hangingstone Hill and Cranmere Pool 10 Nov, 2020
- Beinn a' Chearcaill 26 Oct, 2020
- Binnein Mor, Binnein Beag, Na Gruagaichean & Sgurr Eilde Mor 30 Sep, 2020
- The Traverse of the Mamores 29 Sep, 2020
- Ben Klibreck and Loch Choire 11 Sep, 2020
- Beinn na Gainimh 10 Aug, 2020
- Tyndrum's Five Corbetts 1 Jul, 2020